PDA

View Full Version : Valaika and LeCure called up Smith sent down Edmonds to DL

Nasty_Boy
08-24-2010, 03:28 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

RedsManRick
08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
I really don't understand why LeCure has passed Maloney on the organizational depth chart.

HeatherC1212
08-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Here's the gist of his report regarding this news:

The Louisville Bats have announced that right-hander Sam LeCure and infielder Chris Valaika were called up by the Reds.

Makes sense: LeCure can go long if Travis Wood has a short outing tonight, and the Reds were going with six outfielders. So if Valaika takes Jim Edmonds spot that gets things in line.

This will be Valaikas first time in the big leagues. He was hitting .304/.330/.408 with four home runs and 53 RBI at Louisville. LeCure was 8-3 with a 3.67 ERA at Louisville.

I guess they want to keep Maloney in starting mode and not use him as reliever? I guess that makes sense. At any rate I'm happy to see Valaika get his shot at the big leagues although he probably would have been up as a September call up anyway. He just gets there a week or so early. :thumbup:

PuffyPig
08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I really don't understand why LeCure has passed Maloney on the organizational depth chart.

It may be as much as wanting some protection in case of a failed starter again.

They may want to keep Maloney in his regular rotation because he is valued more highly.

Cyclone792
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM

I think it's just timing and bullpen protection if Wood gets knocked out early or if the game goes several extra innings. LeCure's on four days' rest while Maloney is only on two days' rest. If the Reds need a guy to pitch four or five inings again tonight for whatever reason to preserve the bullpen, LeCure's able to do so.

nate
08-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I thought Valaika was a SS.

BRM
08-24-2010, 04:02 PM

He's primarily played 2B this season.

camisadelgolf
08-24-2010, 04:12 PM
He came up as a shortstop, but it's always been assumed that he'd become a second baseman due to his size. He dropped some weight in an effort to stay agile enough for SS, but ultimately, it wasn't enough to keep him there. He may not be much as a shortstop (although he's often been sold short imo), but he was recently selected by Baseball America as the best defensive second baseman in the International League.

Ghosts of 1990
08-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Only thing I can figure is they don't mind burning up LeCure's options and losing him to waivers; they want to hang onto Maloney. :confused:

nate
08-24-2010, 04:23 PM
He's primarily played 2B this season.

I'm having deja vu!

:cool:

camisadelgolf
08-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Only thing I can figure is they don't mind burning up LeCure's options and losing him to waivers; they want to hang onto Maloney. :confused:
'option year' is a more appropriate term than 'option'. If a player is optioned in 2009, he can be sent down and brought up as many times as a team wants and have it count as only one 'option'. Maloney's and LeCure's options have nothing to do with this.

LincolnparkRed
08-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I think it's just timing and bullpen protection if Wood gets knocked out early or if the game goes several extra innings. LeCure's on four days' rest while Maloney is only on two days' rest. If the Reds need a guy to pitch four or five inings again tonight for whatever reason to preserve the bullpen, LeCure's able to do so.

I think that is the answer on why Sam. I am looking forward to seeing Valaika but wonder if ditching Sutton to get Edmonds and Nix on the roster was really worth it now that we are looking for infielders.

Redsfan320
08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Congrats to Valaika!

nate
08-24-2010, 04:58 PM

The Reds already used this year's option on LeCure and Maloney.

oneupper
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm sorry, but I have lost track.

What were the corresponding moves?
Edmonds to the DL and ?

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2010, 05:50 PM

Or tomorrow for that matter. It's no lock that Bailey will have a long outing tomorrow, though I certainly hope he does!

Sea Ray
08-24-2010, 05:56 PM
The Reds continue to get burned with older players. Problem is with guys like Edmonds, Springer, Izzy and even Cabrera is that they're much more susceptible to injury and when they do get hurt they take longer to recover

fearofpopvol1
08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
The Reds continue to get burned with older players. Problem is with guys like Edmonds, Springer, Izzy and even Cabrera is that they're much more susceptible to injury and when they do get hurt they take longer to recover

Even Rolen too, although to a lesser degree, since he can't play every day.

You can't overlook your point...it holds some validity to it. The recovery time takes longer for older players too.

I'm still very happy the Reds have Rolen. I thought they overpaid for Edmonds...and didn't really see much risk in Springer or Izzy.

oneupper
08-24-2010, 06:05 PM
This is a bit off topic, but WJ's obsession with Ex-Cards is getting to be Bowden-like,

I can understand Rolen. Ok. But then Izzy, Springer and Edmonds.

Time to stop that, Walt.

Joseph
08-24-2010, 06:11 PM

Does it really matter which chaff is going to not make the team out of spring training next year? Neither are really worth losing sleep over.

KronoRed
08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
This is a bit off topic, but WJ's obsession with Ex-Cards is getting to be Bowden-like,

Time to stop that, Walt.

Your 2011 starting shortstop: David Eckstein

reds44
08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Official moves:

CincinnatiReds Edmonds to DL, Smith optioned to Louisville, LeCure and Valaika recalled from Louisville.

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Your 2011 starting shortstop: David Eckstein

Catching Eli Marrero?

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Valaika will dawn #3

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I think this is a move made so that Orlando Cabrera can rest up until September 1st.

marcshoe
08-24-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm interested in seeing what Valaika looks like. I've liked the idea of him for a while; lets see if the reality matches.

oneupper
08-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Valaika will dawn #3

"Don" is the word. I didn't understand when I first read this.

PuffyPig
08-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Each used up an option this year when theye were sent to the minors.

That's makes no difference.

_Sir_Charles_
08-24-2010, 06:57 PM
"Don" is the word. I didn't understand when I first read this.

LOL. Glad I'm not the only one. I was trying to figure out what he meant by that. :O)

klw
08-24-2010, 07:16 PM
picture of reinforcements on the way
http://yfrog.com/3tp99gj
http://twitter.com/mrlecure

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
LOL. Glad I'm not the only one. I was trying to figure out what he meant by that. :O)

Thanks for English 101! Really?

Slyder
08-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Isnt it obvious the Reds are going to try and package up Maloney for Man Ram and sale him on his AAA numbers :thumbup:.

Honestly though if the days are right LeCure probably got the call cause he's more rested. I am sure we will see Maloney once September 1 rolls around and Louisville gets finished.

Mario-Rijo
08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
One thing I like about using LeCure other than the obvious ability to use him multiple innings is his fastball control/command, against any team it's good against a hacking team like S.F. it should result in a lot of balls hit where the defense should be waiting.

Glad to see Valaika up, should be a nice solid complement to our bench though wish he were a LHH. But he can play SS in a pinch as well should we need him, heck he may even get a start or 2 there to give Pauly a rest.

edabbs44
08-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Time to stop that, Walt.

Izzy and Springer didn't really cost all that much.

oneupper
08-24-2010, 08:38 PM

It's not just money. Time (working the deals) and Space (roster, physical space) are part of the equation also.

Big Klu
08-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Edmonds didn't, either.

Slyder
08-24-2010, 08:43 PM
We basically traded Chris Dickerson, Sutton (cleared for Springer I believe), minimal IP at AAA and cash. I never expected Springer or Izzy to contribute anyways so it was a roll of the dice that didnt come through nothing more.

WebScorpion
08-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Or tomorrow for that matter. It's no lock that Bailey will have a long outing tomorrow, though I certainly hope he does!
...and if we don't need a long man today or tomorrow, he's available to take Volquez' start on...Sunday, I think. :D I really think Volquie would be better off in the 'pen where he can be managed better and isn't counted on to eat 6 or 7 innings. We'll see though...they may give him one last shot at starting. :thumbup:

The other thing about this move is doesn't it make both of them available for the playoff roster?

buckeyenut
08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
It is good timing if it has to happen as it gives us just a little more flexibility come playoff roster time.

edabbs44
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
It's not just money. Time (working the deals) and Space (roster, physical space) are part of the equation also.

Sure, but in the grand scheme that's an overhead charge when looking to get to the postseason. Kind of like complaining about wasting money on the WS Champs shirts after you lose Game 7.

edabbs44
08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Edmonds didn't, either.

Tend to agree but wanted to talk about the absolutes I guess.

BCubb2003
08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
The Reds are going to have three starters and 12 relievers.

REDREAD
08-25-2010, 05:53 PM

IMO, the Reds have never thought highly of Maloney. I agree with them.

I am not sure of how the rules apply to Maloney, but surely after this year, he's either out of options or is a 6 year free agent.. I can't tell for sure based on his minor league stats, how much he's racked up.. but bottom line, he's out of the organization next year. Maybe that's why Walt doesn't want to invest playing time in him..

Lecure or Maloney.. both mediocre, I guess I don't see agonizing over it.

camisadelgolf
08-25-2010, 06:56 PM
IMO, the Reds have never thought highly of Maloney. I agree with them.

I am not sure of how the rules apply to Maloney, but surely after this year, he's either out of options or is a 6 year free agent.. I can't tell for sure based on his minor league stats, how much he's racked up.. but bottom line, he's out of the organization next year. Maybe that's why Walt doesn't want to invest playing time in him..

Lecure or Maloney.. both mediocre, I guess I don't see agonizing over it.
He has an option next year. After 2011, he will need to stay with the Reds or risk being lost to another team.

reds44
08-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Nix looked terrible trying to run to 1st base in his PH apperance tonight, you have to figure he's going to the DL.

OF is a bit of a concern right now. Heisey went 0-5 tonight and his average is all the way down to .250 and falling. Gomes, even though he had a good day, has been really bad since June and you know his story on defense.

The Reds don't have any OFers left on the 40 man, so unless they call up Francisco they're going to have to make a 40 man move and either call up Sappelt of Balentin from AAA.

nemesis
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Most likely:

Nix to DL
Edmonds to 60 Day DL
LeCure Down
Leake to DL
Valakia sent down
Volquez to pen

Balentien to 40 Man - Called up
Cabrera activated
Chapman Called up
Harang Reinstated from 60 day DL - Called up takes Volquez rotation spot

reds44
08-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Most likely:

Nix to DL
Edmonds to 60 Day DL
LeCure Down
Leake to DL
Valakia sent down
Volquez to pen

Balentien to 40 Man - Called up
Cabrera activated
Chapman Called up
Harang Reinstated from 60 day DL - Called up takes Volquez rotation spot
I think the Reds are going to give EV one more start before the pull him from the rotation.

And if the Reds are really going to shut down Leake, wouldn't it make sense to put him on the 60 day DL?

nemesis
08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I think the Reds are going to give EV one more start before the pull him from the rotation.

And if the Reds are really going to shut down Leake, wouldn't it make sense to put him on the 60 day DL?

If they are 100% committed to it then yes. But it wouldn't surprise me to see a 15 day stint a rehab assignment and then a decision.

mth123
08-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Not sure the 40 man roster is a big problem anymore. They can put Springer on the 60 day, They could put Leake on the 60 day and they could recall Burton and put him on the 60 day DL. They can add 3 guys and not cut anyone.

I do wonder if Edmonds is really going to be out that long. Obliques can keep you out a long time, but they aren't always a major problem. He could be back when his 15 days are up. I think he can still help the team down the stretch and in the post season. If it is major, he could go on the 60 day as well and that would free a 4th spot.