PDA

View Full Version : Manny Poll On ORG

bagz
08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
They're having a poll over there as to whether the Reds should try and get ManRam if he gets put on waivers by the Dodgers. It's currently a pretty close poll. I'd have to say No Thanks. I think he'd be a bad influence. However on a lighter note just think of all the dreadlocks that would be at the game. He outdreads Volquez and Cueto. Any other dreadlocked players we could sign? I guess I'm just jealous of his long hair. I used to have long hair too. Now I'm a bald eagle. Maybe Manny will be picked up by the Red Sox now that they're also going after Damon.

mroby85
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
This has been tossed around quite a bit this season, I say absolutely yes, go get him! it's for the remainder of the season, the outfield production hasn't been good at all. Manny doesn't only hit well himself, but makes the hitters around him better. They will be more hesitant to pitch around Votto if Manny is on deck. I think he would make this team way more of a threat in the postseason. He's proven that he's clutch in the postseason, and is a 2 time world series champ. Go get him!

brm7675
08-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Wow...do the words NFW cover it. You couldn't pay me to have him on this team.

DocRed
08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
nm

1990REDS
08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Yes. Nobody produces in the spotlight of the playoffs bigger than ManRam. It will never happen but i would welcome him.

ThornWithin81
08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
We already have a terrible fielder in left with an inferior bat. Man Ram would be an upgrade, no question.

No chance it happens though.

scott91575
08-24-2010, 06:18 PM
We already have a terrible fielder in left with an inferior bat. Man Ram would be an upgrade, no question.

Yup, defense can't get worse and his bat would be way better. I think the Reds could deal with him for a month plus.

Yet, as you said, no chance it happens.

Trace's Daddy
08-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I just don't see him fitting in with the guys on the team.

Redeye fly
08-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Could be a moot point entirely, as it seems like from what I've heard on the radio, no one even knows for sure if he was placed on waivers... or no one outside of LA knows for sure. If he was or is, I heard the White Sox would put in a claim for him.

I'm pretty much 50/50. I think you're getting a guy with health and attitude issues who isn't all that reliable anymore. But if going to a team that has a better chance of making the postseason could re-energize and motivate him, than it would probably be worth it.

New York Red
08-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Yup, defense can't get worse and his bat would be way better. I think the Reds could deal with him for a month plus.
My thoughts too. I would love to have one of the greatest postseason bats in the history of the game in our lineup come October (or September) - even with his occasional attitude.

Yet, as you said, no chance it happens.
Agreed again. I can't see the Reds management pulling the trigger on this deal. They seem to be more in favor of letting our young talent develop over time into a championship caliber unit of it's own.

BEETTLEBUG
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Reds have shot before White Sox cause he has to clear in NL first before going to AL.

sivman17
08-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Hmm.. let's see. A career .313 hitter and 1.000 OPS.

He's hitting .312 this year with a .912 OPS, both of which are way better than any of the OFers we currently have.

My answer is a resounding yes.

bshall2105
08-24-2010, 09:44 PM
I think the FO has made it clear that this will not happen.

MikeThierry
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
There is a side of me that wants to see him get traded to the White Sox. Manram plus Ozzie would be must see TV.

Girevik
08-25-2010, 08:36 AM
I say claim him and try to work something out. I think his bat in the middle of the order would make Votto better.

freestyle55
08-25-2010, 09:29 AM
a million times yes. We have enough vets in the locker room to keep him in line if he goes all "Manny being Manny" and that bat would look mighty fine between Votto and Rolen. Plus it gets Gomes out of the lineup even more since he hasn't been hitting for what feels like 6 years...

Girevik
08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Plus Manny always seems to be on his best behavior when joining a new team, and then reverts after a year or two. I don't think having him for the rest of this year would be a problem.

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Pretty much says it all. If Dusty is going to run Gomes out there nightly, might as well have it be Manny. The defense is about even.

RedsFanInBama
08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
We have enough vets in the locker room to keep him in line if he goes all "Manny being Manny"

No we don't. Nobody does. Manny is going to do what he damn well pleases, and it doesn't matter who else is in the locker room. Not saying that the Reds shouldn't get him if they have the chance, but he's not going to be controlled by any other players.

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 03:45 PM
No we don't. Nobody does. Manny is going to do what he damn well pleases, and it doesn't matter who else is in the locker room. Not saying that the Reds shouldn't get him if they have the chance, but he's not going to be controlled by any other players.

After dealing with Bonds all those years, I'm sure Dusty can handle Manny.

RedsFanInBama
08-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Did Dusty really handle Bonds, though? Or was he just the manager of the team Barry Bonds played for? I'm not saying Dusty can't manage a team with Manny Ramirez, but the idea that any manager or other players are going to get him to act a way he doesn't want to act is unrealistic.

BEETTLEBUG
08-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Go for ManRam

UKAlum97
08-25-2010, 09:25 PM
There could be a lot of advantages to him being here for the duration of this year (but no longer). There isn't that much difference between MR and Gomes defensively. I think when properly motivated at the end of the year, Manny is the best hitter in baseball. Even if he's lost a little bit, he's still significantly better than the vast majority of guys in the league.

Bat him clean up and watch Votto's numbers take off like a rocket. Plus, he would put butts in the seats and by doing so, would help us sign guys for next year.

BEETTLEBUG
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
There could be a lot of advantages to him being here for the duration of this year (but no longer). There isn't that much difference between MR and Gomes defensively. I think when properly motivated at the end of the year, Manny is the best hitter in baseball. Even if he's lost a little bit, he's still significantly better than the vast majority of guys in the league.

Bat him clean up and watch Votto's numbers take off like a rocket. Plus, he would put butts in the seats and by doing so, would help us sign guys for next year.

TRUE Butts in seats

Hey Meat
08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
No Way. Manny being Manny would be cancerous to this team and all of these young players. I say forget it.

mckbearcat48
08-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Defensively, Manny is Jonny Gomes.

webbbj
08-27-2010, 12:00 AM
i think hes better suited in the AL as a DH. but it cant get much worse in LF. i love his personality in the club house in a pennant race. all the guys will be loose and he could have them playing better w/ that youthful energy from a vet. not to mention HE CAN HIT.

texasdave
08-27-2010, 01:52 PM
From John Heyman: word is, multiple teams actually claimed manny. the question is: who got claim? 22 minutes ago

GIDP
08-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I really would want to take a chance if hes healthy, but I'm not going to be heart broken if they didnt claim him.

He could be huge pick up especially since we are suddenly down to 4 healthy OF.

texasdave
08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
More from Heyman: team that won claim has until tuesday to work out trade for manny. but who knows, dodgers are on cusp of race now. maybe they keep him. 2 minutes ago

texasdave
08-27-2010, 03:39 PM
White Sox won the waiver claim for Manny.

GIDP
08-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Amazing that Manny made it through every team in the NL. What ever.

sivman17
08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Manny was ejected last night, surprise, surprise... this video is funny only because of the guy taping it. Haha, it's pretty entertaining.

YouTube - Manny Ramirez gets ejected on first pitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYcROJbAIxc&feature=player_embedded)

GIDP
08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
"is that an auto matic out?"
"yeaaaaap"

ugh

bshall2105
08-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Manny was ejected last night, surprise, surprise... this video is funny only because of the guy taping it. Haha, it's pretty entertaining.

YouTube - Manny Ramirez gets ejected on first pitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYcROJbAIxc&feature=player_embedded)

Does anybody on here act like this at sporting events?

sivman17
08-30-2010, 06:02 PM
last game as a dodger.. bases loaded pinch hit appearance that lasted all of 1 pitch

i'm glad we didn't get him

Trace's Daddy
08-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Does anybody on here act like this at sporting events?

Yeah no kidding; I can't stand guys that act like that.
"you suck!" Wow what a clever take, jackass.