PDA

View Full Version : Potential Move To The Pen For Edison Volquez

RedLegSuperStar
08-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Fay via Twitter just said the Reds have 2 or 3 senerios on what they could do.

Mario-Rijo
08-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Good lord, why in the world would you put anyone in the pen who has trouble throwing strikes. Travis Wood makes more sense for a variety of reasons, though I hate seeing our only LH starter moved out of a place he is doing fine at. But it's better than Edinson going.

Kc61
08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Good lord, why in the world would you put anyone in the pen who has trouble throwing strikes. Travis Wood makes more sense for a variety of reasons, though I hate seeing our only LH starter moved out of a place he is doing fine at. But it's better than Edinson going.

September 1 is coming. Lots of pitchers are in the bullpen, doesn't mean they will pitch much.

This suggests the Reds are considering removing V from the rotation, that's the point.

Cyclone792
08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Good move, IMO. In fact, I'd have put him in the bullpen from day one on his return. IMO, the bullpen is the initial prescription for a guy coming back from TJ surgery.

A guy like Volquez could have immense value in the bullpen. If he's having some solid control, he can go in and dominate for an inning or two without a problem. If he's having control issues, just yank him before things get out of hand (which is something that's tough to do when he starts and has problems in the early innings).

CTA513
08-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Right now Wood is pitching better and is likely to go deeper into a game.

Patrick Bateman
08-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Because all he has to do is get control over his fastball and he can probably be effective. For an inning at a time he could get be unhittable if he can get his fastball over.

Travis Wood gets to stay in the rotation because he's pitching great, and a starter is more important. The pen would be a demotion. It would be the first time that I would hear of a guy with an ERA in the 2's get demoted to the pen instead of a guy in the 6's.

Griffey012
08-24-2010, 09:26 PM

It's simple, you can't win games with your starter going 4 2/3rds and 2/3rds of an inning. Not only is Edinson struggling of late to put us in position to win, he is killing our bullpen while we are at it. I am not sure if they can demote Edinson or not, anyone know what his status is there? Wood has been phenominal in the rotation, so you can't remove him.

KoryMac5
08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Reds are at a crossroads here down the stretch let's hope Walt and Dusty push the correct buttons to get us over the line first. I would have to imagine it will all depend on what the plan for Chapman is when he comes up.

Cyclone792
08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Reds are at a crossroads here down the stretch let's hope Walt and Dusty push the correct buttons to get us over the line first. I would have to imagine it will all depend on what the plan for Chapman is when he comes up.

Chapman won't be starting anymore this year. He's been pitching strictly out of the bullpen in Louisville, and they're not going to suddenly put him in the Reds rotation now.

My guess is Leake goes back to the rotation in the 5th slot, and then Reds skip his spot periodically with off days to ensure his innings don't pile up. Or, once the battery of arms arrive in September, you could see some shorter Leake starts where the bullpen takes over a bit early.

reds44
08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I just don't understand moving him to the pen right now. If you don't want him in rotation, I'd send him to AAA and let him log his innings down there until the AAA season ended, then call him up.

I don't see him getting better in the pen.

Brutus
08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
I just don't understand moving him to the pen right now. If you don't want him in rotation, I'd send him to AAA and let him log his innings down there until the AAA season ended, then call him up.

I don't see him getting better in the pen.

It's all about maximizing that August 31 roster. Sending him down eliminates the chance of having one of your more talented pitchers available to you in October, if there is one.

The stakes have changed for this franchise. They now have to plan for meaningful games the rest of this season than just the future.

membengal
08-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Like Cyclone, I assumed all along, given the difficulties that many pitchers experience with command in their initial return from TJ surgery, that EV would be in the pen when he came back. If the Reds have the stones to make that move now, that would be terriffic from where I sit.

I just get itchy with a guy with the vagaries of command that comes and goes post-TJ surgery taking the ball for crucial September pennant race starts.

nemesis
08-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Volquez needs to ditch the Curve if he is going to the pen. 85% Fastballs and a couple change-ups an outing is all he needs.

reds44
08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
If the Reds make the playoffs, it's becoming pretty clear that the first three would be Cueto, Arroyo, and Wood in some order.

The 4th spot is where it gets interesting. Right now the leader would be Homer, but I could see the Reds putting Leake back in the rotation later in the year and seeing how his arm responds.

edabbs44
08-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Volquez to the pen makes sense.

JaxRed
08-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Bailey might make that top 3 also.

SMcGavin
08-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I like it. I would have liked him in the bullpen right from the start actually.

oregonred
08-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Volquez may be out of options, it would need to be a rehab assignment to go to the minors. In any event, he shouldn't even be in consideration for starting a game until a 16-man rotation is established post Sept 1.