PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new Wave of Panic to Sweep Through Redszone

Brisco
08-25-2010, 08:19 AM
We lose two games in a row and three of the last four. Our young pitchers get simply crushed.

Time for us to get all in a tizzy... start screaming that the rotation is a shambles... that management betrayed us by not making a move for another starting pitcher before the trade deadline... that our offense is totally inconsistent.

Please... all of you, please look on the front of the Fairweather's Guide to the Reds Galaxy and see in bright letters the words "Don't Panic" emblazoned on the cover.

Just one week ago, all here agreed that a 5-4 road trip would be great... to paraphrase one who summed it up for the rest... a 5-4 roadtrip is a successful raod trip... anything beyond that is pure gravy.

If and I mean IF we lose tonight, we end up with the a 5-4 road trip out west... the best in recent memory... and oh by the way we are guaranteed the division lead regardless of the outcome.

The beauty of baseball is that noone looks good all the time... its a sport for mere mortals. Joey Votto looks simply inept in about a third of his ABs... Travis Wood is gonna crash from time to time... and maybe Mike Leake is done for the year, but last I checked, it very seldom comes down to your long reliever as the difference between success and failure. Our defense is falling apart... but it is the 8th game of the West Coast trip in August... the hardest part of the year for the Reds.

After today we return home in first place with our achilles heel in the rear view mirror. September is our month and that is just ahead.

"Don't Panic!" (and yes, I am looking at your too, ORG... a quick review of the posts this morning has your side of the board leading the "panic" post count by a landslide)

jfleur87
08-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Quite simply, I agree. Once I saw that St. Louis lost, and that it wasn't looking good for the Reds last night it was much easier to swallow knowing that they were still going to be up 2.5 games. I got much more sleep than I intended to last night, which I will thank the Reds for. Now will I be upset if Homer can't right the ship? Yep. But I still wouldn't be in panic mode. I would hope everyone will realize there is no reason to panic unless there are about 7 games left and we are 2 games back. Something like that would give cause for worry. Until then, it has been a wonderful ride.

lidspinner
08-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Quite simply, I agree. Once I saw that St. Louis lost, and that it wasn't looking good for the Reds last night it was much easier to swallow knowing that they were still going to be up 2.5 games. I got much more sleep than I intended to last night, which I will thank the Reds for. Now will I be upset if Homer can't right the ship? Yep. But I still wouldn't be in panic mode. I would hope everyone will realize there is no reason to panic unless there are about 7 games left and we are 2 games back. Something like that would give cause for worry. Until then, it has been a wonderful ride.

I did the same....I also sent a thank you letter to Jose, the 3rd base coach for the Cardinals for not sending the running home on Alberts ball....lol, that cost them extra innings.

gmt
08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Right now it looks like the biggest losers contest. No one is looking too good throughout the contest, but in the end everyone jumps on the scale and we have a winner.

mlh1981
08-25-2010, 09:20 AM
This team has gotten up off the mat too many times for us to get too worked up over a tough break at the tail end of a long road trip.

No matter what happens today, we will emerge from this roadtrip with a winning record, and still in first place.

GIDP
08-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Reds look tired and dead right now. Bad D from people who normally dont have bad D. Every team goes through it. Combined with the first slump of the starting pitching in a while a 6-3 road trip, or a 5-4 road trip isnt the end of the world for any team.

Girevik
08-25-2010, 11:48 AM
If you'd have told me going into the trip that the Reds would be over .500, I'd have been thrilled. Getting off to a 5-1 start, though, it would hurt to finish 5-4.

UPRedsFan
08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Relax. Reinforcements are on the way.

Chapman
Harang
Alonzo
And I still have faith Volquez will figure it out and have some strong games

Does St Louis have that talent on their AAA team?

New York Red
08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
No panic necessary. I had a feeling we might drop a couple in Frisco. We took 5 of the first 6, and no way could we expect an 8-1 west coast trip. The Giants entered this series desperate for W's after a tough road trip. They needed this series a lot more than the Reds did - and of course they started an extremely important homestand with this series. I'm not making excuses for the Reds, because the pitching has looked really bad the last two nights, but no one should be surprised we lost two in SF - and definitely no one should be panicking.

BurgervilleBuck
08-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Please... all of you, please look on the front of the Fairweather's Guide to the Reds Galaxy and see in bright letters the words "Don't Panic" emblazoned on the cover.
I agree on every point and give you extra props on the Hitchhiker's reference.

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm not worried.

YET.

Natty Redlocks
08-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I'd rather see them get blown out than lose a bunch of close games. If they win today, that's a 6-3 west coast road trip; you take that every time. Good for them, beating the bad teams so it's not disastrous when they lose to good ones. Either way, they'll be back home beating up on the Cubs and Brewers before you know it, and we'll all feel silly for being so worried.

I hope.

Jr's Boy
08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Like Joe Morgan said the other night,towards the end of a road trip a team is pretty much gassed.Let em get a little rest and some home cooking and they should be fine.Though the thought of going to St.Louis to settle the division worries me.

Kiss the Baby00
08-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Relax. Reinforcements are on the way.

Chapman
Harang
Alonzo
And I still have faith Volquez will figure it out and have some strong games

Does St Louis have that talent on their AAA team?

How do you anticipate AlonSo helping other than pinch hitting? what has harang ever done to make you think he would be able to help us do anything?

i do agree that we have to keep running volquez out there, at least for a few more starts. all i hear from him and the coaches is that he feels great and is healthy

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 02:50 PM
How do you anticipate AlonSo helping other than pinch hitting? What has Harang ever done to make you think he would be able to help us do anything?

I do agree that we have to keep running Volquez out there, atleast for a few more starts. All I hear from him and the coaches is that he feels great and is healthy.

There. I corrected that for you. :D

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Panic was rampant on the Sundeck game thread.

CWRed
08-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Panic was rampant on the Sundeck game thread.

It really was. The loss would have been devastating but not cataclysmic. I was just angry. Angry at Dusty for his continued bonehead moves with the pitching staff, etc. Luckily the club bailed him and the bullpen out. Props to Masset (who should have started the 8th) and Cordero (I can't believe I'm saying that).

As much as I despise Dusty usually...the players have to shut the door as well.

Votto=MVP.

Put Edmonds and Nix on the DL already and get some help up here!

bagz
08-26-2010, 07:59 AM
I was watching this thing from the 5th inning. Mother Sundecker! This one would have been another tough loss and a sweep by SanFran. These Reds unlike others of years past didn't fold. That's whats different about this 2010 team. Adjustments will be made and key players will be called up from AAA. Keep the Faith in a Magical Season!