PDA

View Full Version : Great old Reds photo

RANDY IN INDY
08-25-2010, 08:31 AM
http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15037coll3&CISOPTR=755&CISOBOX=1&REC=11

Scoreboard catches fire at Connie Mack Stadium with Maloney pitching and Rose at third. Found the picture at Uni-Watch site.

cumberlandreds
08-25-2010, 08:41 AM
I have heard of teams burning up the scoreboard. But this takes it to a new level.

Always Red
08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Maloney did throw some serious heat. :D

great pic Randy- thanks for posting it!

westofyou
08-25-2010, 09:09 AM
The Dom Hefner era, the one where Pete hated playing 3rd (the time most forget)

George Anderson
08-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Pete's stance with his hands on his knees really doesn't look like the proper fielding position. I was always taughtas an infielder not to have the palms of your hands resting on your knees when in the ready position.

westofyou
08-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Pete's stance with his hands on his knees really doesn't look like the proper fielding position. I was always taughtas an infielder not to have the palms of your hands resting on your knees when in the ready position.

Me as well, takes extra time, rest your forearms on your thighs.

But then again Pete was never really a good infielder.

George Anderson
08-25-2010, 09:39 AM
The Dom Hefner era, the one where Pete hated playing 3rd (the time most forget)

You know what is interesting, Pete and Tommy Helms switched positions about 16 games into the season. Any clue why other than Pete hated 3B?

westofyou
08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
You know what is interesting, Pete and Tommy Helms switched positions about 16 games into the season. Any clue why other than Pete hated 3B?

Nope, that's the reason they switched back. Pete had spent quite some time the prior winters working on his 2nd base play, he really thought he was better than the management thought he was. He didn't like the move and he hit horribly as well (didn't top .300 until 8/21) in hopes of placating they moved him back.

In short he made a big stink

15fan
08-25-2010, 11:15 AM
"Scoreboard caught fire during game with Cincinatti. No one was injured"

Because there was no one in the stands to be injured.

Heath
08-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Pete had to play 3rd because the '65 3B, Deron Johnson, had to move to LF to cover a gap that was traded in the winter. You might remember him.

Bad omen and start in '66. Opening Day was rained out.

Don't know why the scoreboard was on fire. The only one to use it was the Reds who won 4-0. A whopping 6,298 on a Saturday afternoon in Philly came out to see the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI196604160.shtml

Roy Tucker
08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Shouldn't Maloney have his glove hand tucked in for proper mechanics?

westofyou
08-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Pete had to play 3rd because the '65 3B, Deron Johnson, had to move to LF to cover a gap that was traded in the winter. You might remember him.

While true, Johnson by design was a 1st baseman, he only played 3rd because Tommy Harper couldn't cut it there in MLB and DJ had a big bat, at one time he was the Yankees top prospect.

Hap
08-25-2010, 12:19 PM
I remember reading one biographies of Pete. This particular author stated that Pete had trouble going to his right and getting enough mustard on the throw back to first base from deep in the second base hole. Other than that, he was a fine second baseman.

westofyou
08-25-2010, 12:23 PM
I remember reading one biographies of Pete. This particular author stated that Pete had trouble going to his right and getting enough mustard on the throw back to first base from deep in the second base hole. Other than that, he was a fine second baseman.

He spent the whole winter after 64 working on his footwork, which was horrendous from all accounts. he was able to improve it but his range was never good after he got a bit more muscle.

Chip R
08-25-2010, 01:42 PM

I thought I read somewhere that Heffner basically told him he was playing 3rd instead of asking like Sparky did.

cumberlandreds
08-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Heffner basically told him he was playing 3rd instead of asking like Sparky did.

That may have been in "The Machine". It seems like I remember Sparky was hesitant to ask because of that incident. But when he did ask, Rose basically said no problem and the rest was history.

RedsBaron
08-25-2010, 02:37 PM

I've read that in various sources over the years. Heffner told Rose to play third and Rose pouted. Sparky asked Rose to play third and he cheerfully did so. Of course Rose was a nearly a decade older when he made the move to third in 1975 ( I started to type that Rose was more mature, but I'm not sure Rose ever did mature ;) ).

Hoosier Red
08-25-2010, 02:39 PM
That may have been in "The Machine". It seems like I remember Sparky was hesitant to ask because of that incident. But when he did ask, Rose basically said no problem and the rest was history.

I'd like to hear from people who weren't Reds fans in the 70's but I imagine the core of the Big Red Machine saw their window closing just as surely as Sparky did.

Of course opinions may not have formed every 30 seconds with less information overload back in the day. But I wonder if by 1975 Rose, Morgan, Bench etc were more willing to do whatever was needed to win in order to keep their reputations high if for nothing else.

I'm not sure if Rose or Bench would have appreciated being known as the regular season juggarnaughts that couldn't win when the pressure was on.

Plus, Pete may have matured some from 1964 to 1975. But I don't know why he would have stopped maturing in 1975.

George Anderson
08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I am being dead serious when I say Pete was probally frustrated because the 75' team struggled early on and he was tired of losing money betting on the Reds to win . I am guessing he felt moving Foster into the lineup would boost the teams chances and of course his chances on wagering. To the best of my knowledge he wasn't betting on baseball back in 65.

One thing for sure when questioning Pete, just follow the money

pedro
08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I am being dead serious when I say Pete was probally frustrated because the 75' team struggled early on and he was tired of losing money betting on the Reds to win . I am guessing he felt moving Foster into the lineup would boost the teams chances and of course his chances on wagering. To the best of my knowledge he wasn't betting on baseball back in 65.

IIRC he was told by Bowie Kuhn as early as 1970 to stop associating with gamblers.

westofyou
08-25-2010, 02:57 PM
IIRC he was told by Bowie Kuhn as early as 1970 to stop associating with gamblers.

Harry Fitzgibbons, former FBI agent who worked for MLB, his 1st job after dealing with Denny McClain (IIRC) was to document the activities of Peter Edward Rose

westofyou
08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
To the best of my knowledge he wasn't betting on baseball back in 65.

In 1964 Pete was asked by Hutch to quit spending so much time at the racetrack, which BTW was where he met his wife.

George Anderson
08-25-2010, 03:00 PM
In 1964 Pete was asked by Hutch to quit spending so much time at the racetrack, which BTW was where he met his wife.

Any idea when he began wagering on baseball though?

westofyou
08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Any idea when he began wagering on baseball though?

Not really, however when discussing signing Rose prior to 1978 the team executives pondered the possibility that he could get his legs broken for his deeds, and thus squirrel the deal. Apparently Pete was not the best client and was often being looked for to pay up on the losses.

traderumor
08-25-2010, 03:07 PM
In 1964 Pete was asked by Hutch to quit spending so much time at the racetrack, which BTW was where he met his wife.She must have been pretty fast to keep up with those horses...not fast enough to get away from Pete, though ;)

RANDY IN INDY
08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Shouldn't Maloney have his glove hand tucked in for proper mechanics?

That's one of those, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," things. Can't put everyone in a box. Still rings true today.