PDA

View Full Version : Tom Krasovic article about the Dragons

OesterPoster
08-25-2010, 08:39 AM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/08/24/with-deck-stacked-against-them-minor-league-dayton-dragons-thri/

The Dayton Dragons have sold out every game since the club's debut in 2000. With the longest active sellout streak (768) in U.S. professional sports, the Dragons are bearing down on the U.S. record of 814 set by the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers.

LincolnparkRed
08-25-2010, 11:47 AM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/08/24/with-deck-stacked-against-them-minor-league-dayton-dragons-thri/

Being from Centerville originally it is really amazing when you think about all the other sports teams that have failed. Then again look how well UD draws and check out high school games on Friday nights. People are looking for things to do.

Dayton Daily seems to get a little mad about our big prospects not coming through but the last 3 have all been college playes with some polish.

dougdirt
08-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Being from Centerville originally it is really amazing when you think about all the other sports teams that have failed. Then again look how well UD draws and check out high school games on Friday nights. People are looking for things to do.

Dayton Daily seems to get a little mad about our big prospects not coming through but the last 3 have all been college playes with some polish.

Yeah and the two first rounders before that didn't impress in Dayton, but merely held their head above water (Stubbs and Mesoraco). Next year, the DDN writer, whoever it is, probably won't get to complain about a lack of top prospects, as that team while maybe not able to compete for a league championship, will have a ton of raw talent on it.

GIDP
08-25-2010, 01:36 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever told them that low A ball players tend to be flawed.

dougdirt
08-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever told them that low A ball players tend to be flawed.

Well, the last two seasons they have had a combined 3 players in the previous years BA Top 30, with Gregorius, Joseph and Sulbaran. Only one of those guys is an every day player. I can see where that would be an issue, but at the same time, they have gotten some good players there who may not have been 'top' prospects, but good players. Cody Puckett and Byron Wiley were both there last season. LaMarre came through this season and Henry Rodriguez has helped the team a bunch as well. It hasn't been like the Reds gave them absolutely nothing.

OesterPoster
08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Marc Katz. He doesn't cover the Dragons for the Dayton paper any longer, or else you'd be seeing all kinds of negative articles by him this year. Sean McClelland has been covering the Dragons all year, and I don't recall a real "Katzesque" type of article yet.

medford
08-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I think part of the problem is that Dayton was very spoiled early on. In the first couple of seasons they had Howington, Grueler (not sure how much he actually pitched vs was injuried), Dunn, Kearns, Wily Mo, Acevado, Olmedo and a handful of other guys that got cups of cofee (heck, Todd Coffee might have been amongst that bunch at some point).

After that, the top prospects have either skipped Dayton, or been so raw while there that they didn't exactly jump out at you the way Dunn & Kearns did when they were manning LF/RF.

GIDP
08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, the last two seasons they have had a combined 3 players in the previous years BA Top 30, with Gregorius, Joseph and Sulbaran. Only one of those guys is an every day player. I can see where that would be an issue, but at the same time, they have gotten some good players there who may not have been 'top' prospects, but good players. Cody Puckett and Byron Wiley were both there last season. LaMarre came through this season and Henry Rodriguez has helped the team a bunch as well. It hasn't been like the Reds gave them absolutely nothing.

Well what I'm saying is good players dont tend to spend a lot of time in low A ball.