PDA

View Full Version : The Cardinals Are Who We Thought They Were

redssince75
08-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Last night they lost a game in a fashion that would cause a RedsZone meltdown if it happened to us. Against one of the worst teams in MLB, down 1 run, 1 out, 9th inning, men on 1st & 2nd:

1) Pujols hit a hot shot to third that got past the 3rd baseman far enough to score the runner from 2nd, but Jose Oquendo held him up instead;

2) Matt Holliday popped up with bases loaded 1 out (anything but pop up or K would bring the tying run home)

3) Felipe Lopez popped up.

After the game, the Cardinals post-game show sounded like everyone's dog had been shot. Extremely morose and talking slow like they had head injuries. It happens.

Been a rough last couple of days for the Reds...but it's a 162-game season. If we come out of the West Coast swing 5-4 or 6-3 with a lead from 1.5 to 3.5, we'll still be ok.

Captain13
08-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Last time Oquendo sent a runner in the 9th, down by one run Chris Heisey threw to OCab who threw to Hernandez. OUT AT HOME!!!:)

GIDP
08-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Reds only have to play .500 ball basically. I dont think the Cardinals have .700 baseball in their systems at this point.

redssince75
08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Reds only have to play .500 ball basically. I dont think the Cardinals have .700 baseball in their systems at this point.

What I really want to do is beat them head-to-head...a sweep either way is a 6-game swing. A sweep our way might pretty well take care of it. Plus, I'll be at 2 of the games.

:cool:

DocRed
08-25-2010, 01:19 PM
So what does that make us? We just got trounced in back to back games by a Giants team St. Louis just won 2-3 from.

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Last night they lost a game in a fashion that would cause a RedsZone meltdown if it happened to us. Against one of the worst teams in MLB, down 1 run, 1 out, 9th inning, men on 1st & 2nd:

1) Pujols hit a hot shot to third that got past the 3rd baseman far enough to score the runner from 2nd, but Jose Oquendo held him up instead;

2) Matt Holliday popped up with bases loaded 1 out (anything but pop up or K would bring the tying run home)

3) Felipe Lopez popped up.

After the game, the Cardinals post-game show sounded like everyone's dog had been shot. Extremely morose and talking slow like they had head injuries. It happens.

Been a rough last couple of days for the Reds...but it's a 162-game season. If we come out of the West Coast swing 5-4 or 6-3 with a lead from 1.5 to 3.5, we'll still be ok.

Reminds of some of the Reds disasters this seasons. It happens.

redssince75
08-25-2010, 02:29 PM
So what does that make us? We just got trounced in back to back games by a Giants team St. Louis just won 2-3 from.

We also beat up on teams (like the Cubs) that regularly beat the Cardinals. Don't go comparing scores....or you'll see that you're 20 runs better or worse than yourself.

scott91575
08-25-2010, 02:40 PM

If the Reds play .500 ball, the Cardinals only need to go 22-17 to tie (.564 ball). No where near .700, and barely above their season average. Plus the Cards schedule is easy. So if the Reds play .500, odds are the Cards win the Central. Heck, the Phillies simply need be 20-17 or the Giants 19-16 to tie for the wild card if the Reds get passed. So odds are .500 won't win the Wild Card either.

New York Red
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
If we play .500 ball the rest of the way, we likely will have thrown away a playoff spot. The Reds need to be closer to .575/.600 the rest of the way. With the schedule we have left, this Reds team should be able to do that.

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 03:22 PM
If the Reds play .500 ball the rest of the way against their easy schedule, they don't deserve a playoff spot.

gmt
08-25-2010, 04:01 PM
I always find it amusing when predicting how a team will play the rest of the year gives one hope or desperation. Reds are 72 - 54. Cardinals are 68 - 55. Reds have 36 games to go, the Cardinals 39. Reds play .500 ball they finish with 90 wins. The Cardinals play .500 ball they finish with 87 or 88. One more game lost by the Reds and one more game won by the Cardinals and they are essentially tied. With 3 games to make up, the cardinals deceptively look farther behind than the Reds to get to 90 wins. It's not that big of a cushion that one 3 game series can completely turn the appearance of being in control or scratching to catch up. A Reds sweep of the Cardinals over Labor day definitely puts them in command. A cardinals sweep puts them in command. At this point, the Cardinals need 2 of 3 more than the Reds do. By next weekend, it may be completely different. It's too close to call anything right now or to fret too much. The Reds have been blasted the last two nights. The Cardinals gave one away last night. Dont' get too excited or too disappointed yet. I have a feeling we will all be scoreboard watching in early October.

New York Red
08-25-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't know why we're even talking .500 baseball and the Reds in the same conversation. We were .544 at the break, have played at a .639 clip since the break, and are .727 since getting swept by STL. This Reds team is much, much better than a .500 baseball team. I understand playing devils advocate and discussing worst case scenarios, etc, but no way does this Reds team go .500 the rest of the way.

Vottomatic
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
I always find it amusing when predicting how a team will play the rest of the year gives one hope or desperation. Reds are 72 - 54. Cardinals are 68 - 55. Reds have 36 games to go, the Cardinals 39. Reds play .500 ball they finish with 90 wins. The Cardinals play .500 ball they finish with 87 or 88. One more game lost by the Reds and one more game won by the Cardinals and they are essentially tied. With 3 games to make up, the cardinals deceptively look farther behind than the Reds to get to 90 wins. It's not that big of a cushion that one 3 game series can completely turn the appearance of being in control or scratching to catch up. A Reds sweep of the Cardinals over Labor day definitely puts them in command. A cardinals sweep puts them in command. At this point, the Cardinals need 2 of 3 more than the Reds do. By next weekend, it may be completely different. It's too close to call anything right now or to fret too much. The Reds have been blasted the last two nights. The Cardinals gave one away last night. Dont' get too excited or too disappointed yet. I have a feeling we will all be scoreboard watching in early October.

Thanks Dad. I feel better now.

:D

gmt
08-25-2010, 04:33 PM
And I don't see the Cardinals going .500 the rest of the way either. If you believe all things even out over a season, playing at a .639 or .727 clip is generally unsustainable over a 2 month or longer period of time. It isn't reasonable to think just because the Reds might win 19 or 20 more games that the Cardinals couldn't win 23 or 24 more. The Cardinals have 3 more games to play than the Reds. Teams in the playoffs can generally range from a .568 winning percent (about 92 wins) and .600 (97 wins). That's only a 5 game difference in wins versus a .600 to .568 winning percentage from perhaps the usual top winnig percentage in the league to the wildcard qualifier.

Sorry to be cliche, but it's game to game now. Can't help looking at the scoreboard, but I don't see either the Reds or Cardinals running away with it. As soon as it seems like one team has figured it out, they come back with a couple of clunkers.

JKam
08-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey weren't the Reds swept by the Pirates earlier this season. Expecting the Cardinals to go 9-0 vs. the Pirates is a bit pessimistic (if you are a Reds fan).

Defacto
08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
At the Cardinals forum I post at, people were mad. They thought Winn could have scored from 3rd, but he didn't. We get used to it, our bats are okay but it's our defense that kills. Lopez blew a game for Garcia last week because of 2 errors.

Magdal
08-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree with GMT: This is going down to the last week of the season and it will be a thrill for fans of both teams. It has been YEARS since the Cards were in a real div. race. They are either out of it by Sept. or have it locked up, making it a yawner in the final weeks.

It's fun to speculate tho'....and I will go out on a limb and predict that if either sweep that Labor day series, they win the Central. The other must scramble for the W.C.

scott91575
08-25-2010, 05:22 PM
At the Cardinals forum I post at, people were mad. They thought Winn could have scored from 3rd, but he didn't. We get used to it, our bats are okay but it's our defense that kills. Lopez blew a game for Garcia last week because of 2 errors.

I watched that game, and it was a really close call. With less than 2 outs and Holliday coming up, it was the right call by the 3rd base coach. The Pirates SS made a nice hustle play, and would have had a good shot throwing him out if he was sent home.

GIDP
08-25-2010, 05:25 PM
I meant .600 ball not .700.

Of course the Reds continue at their current winning percentage the Cardinals then would have to play .640 to tie.

Reds would finish with 93 wins

Cardinals would have to win 25 of their remaining 39

Of course the cardinals are playing at a .553 pace right now

Reds just need to take care of business.