PDA

View Full Version : Phillips: Injured wrist updates X-Rays Negative

SirFelixCat
08-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I read from Fay's twitter that he'll have more X-rays tomorrow as his wrist is (still) swollen. That would be a huge loss, obviously. Send positive thoughts to him that is just a bone bruise!

cincrazy
08-25-2010, 09:07 PM
It looked bad when it happened, and it certainly has me concerned. We can NOT afford to lose him for any stretch. And it appears he'll probably at least miss some of the games against the Cubs, even if it is a bruise. Pure speculation on my part, but I'd imagine it will take a while to heal even if it is a deep bruise.

reds44
08-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Even if it's the worst case (and I pray it's not) at least with OC coming back Janish could fill in for BP.

Phhhl
08-25-2010, 09:24 PM
If the worst does happen, the club should seriously consider leaving Janish at short and moving Cabrera to second. I know Orlando may not have played there for a while, but the defense we are getting at short over the last month has contributed to a lot of wins.

REDblooded
08-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Lots of swelling is a good sign... Usually breaks don't have as much swelling iirc...

Mario-Rijo
08-25-2010, 09:29 PM
If the worst does happen, the club should seriously consider leaving Janish at short and moving Cabrera to second. I know Orlando may not have played there for a while, but the defense we are getting at short over the last month has contributed to a lot of wins.

They will never do it, Janish and Cairo splitting time at 2B.

REDblooded
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Lots of swelling is a good sign... Usually breaks don't have as much swelling iirc...

My GF who graduated with a degree in athletic training just informed me that I'm wrong...

this stinks.

mdccclxix
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Whatever happens I hope they determine to DL him sooner than in the past so we can get a full 25 up here. I will say BP is the toughest Red.

_Sir_Charles_
08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Even if it's the worst case (and I pray it's not) at least with OC coming back Janish could fill in for BP.

Why? We just brought up Valiaka...a 2b by trade.

reds44
08-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Why? We just brought up Valiaka...a 2b by trade.
Huh? You'd rather play Valiaka than Janish?

_Sir_Charles_
08-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Huh? You'd rather play Valiaka than Janish?

At second...yes. I'd leave Janish at short.

As for Cabrera...he's on the bench for now. Let him work his way back in for a bit. Make SURE he's fine.

reds44
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
At second...yes. I'd leave Janish at short.
No way. I'd slide OC over to SS, but we won't do that. OC and Janish should be the everyday MIF if Phillips goes on the DL.

Mario-Rijo
08-25-2010, 09:38 PM
I hope he doesn't have a fracture, the guy is leading the league in runs scored (90 tied with Joey) and of course the defense.

Chip R
08-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Let's not count our chickens before they are hatched.

_Sir_Charles_
08-25-2010, 09:40 PM
No way. I'd slide OC over to SS, but we won't do that. OC and Janish should be the everyday MIF if Phillips goes on the DL.

But Cabrera's not even off the DL yet is he? I'd just rather not play either Cabrera or Janish off their more natural positions if we've got a perfectly viable option sitting right there on the bench. Valiaka's been a 2B primarily his whole career IIRC. And from what I've seen, he's pretty darned solid there too. I just don't want to depend too heavily on Orlando right when he's coming off the DL....if and when he DOES come off the DL.

And Chip's right...this is all moot until we know something for certain regarding Brandon.

cincrazy
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Let's not count our chickens before they are hatched.

I see your point, but swelling is a very bad sign. I have a hard time seeing it not being broken with significant swelling.

edabbs44
08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
This would blow chunks.

cincrazy
08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Bring up Yonder and play him at second! ;)

Tornon
08-25-2010, 09:55 PM
If Phillips did break his wrist he'll probably just play through it and become a .350 hitter

TeamBoone
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
And to think that SF argued that he wasn't hit at all.

Heal fast, Brandon. Because we will sorely miss you.

Griffey012
08-25-2010, 10:14 PM

You have to factor in the defense we would be losing without Phillips also. Phillips contributes a lot of runs with his D. Assuming OC is fully healthy, I think our best combo is OC at short were he has played an above average SS this season, and putting Janish at 2nd base where he could still probably play GG caliber defense.

With Janish being younger and more athletic, he can rely less on instincts and more on athletic ability, where OC has to rely more on positioning and instincts, so I think it would be better to move Janish and leave OC where he is more experienced and comfortable.

Ghosts of 1990
08-25-2010, 11:19 PM
The at-bat before Brandon got hit.. I was driving home from work. Homer Bailey was up. I was thinking to myself; man it's been great not getting injuries. How lucky we have been. It's been a blessing all year to us.

Man.... unreal how things happen sometimes.

BearcatShane
08-26-2010, 01:24 AM
The at-bat before Brandon got hit.. I was driving home from work. Homer Bailey was up. I was thinking to myself; man it's been great not getting injuries. How lucky we have been. It's been a blessing all year to us.

Man.... unreal how things happen sometimes.

Lets wait too see if he is really severely injured. Brandon has had a lot of these types of things happen to him and he usually comes right back. Say what you want about Phillips but he is truly a "gamer".

Ron Madden
08-26-2010, 03:05 AM
With so little information all we can do right now is hope and pray for the best. Get well soon Brandon.

lollipopcurve
08-26-2010, 07:28 AM
As others have noted, swelling is bad.

Team's getting beat up.

MattyHo4Life
08-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Lets wait too see if he is really severely injured. Brandon has had a lot of these types of things happen to him and he usually comes right back. Say what you want about Phillips but he is truly a "gamer".

Well...we know he will play during the Cardinals series no matter how bad he's hurt. ;)

medford
08-26-2010, 08:46 AM
someone posted on the minor league forum that a louisville player said that Valiaka was heading back to AAA (presumably OCab is coming off the DL.) I don't know if this information was in motion prior to Brandon's injury or if they don't think Brandon's injury is serious enough to warrant a DL stint (post was late, but the original word could have been set in motion pretty early)

HotCorner
08-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Anyone hear an update about Nix?

Reds Fanatic
08-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Anyone hear an update about Nix?

According to Fay yesterday Nix's ankle was tender and he was going to tape it and try to play through it. He can basically pinch hit right now but can't really run that well on it. Bascically I think Nix is going to be one of those day by day cases where he probably won't be used much except to maybe pinch hit.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Nix needs to be on the DL. He's a gutsy player, but that doesn't help this club right now. Almost everyone on this team beats that hit out for an infield single yesterday and he could barely get out of the box.

I think BP will be fine. I just have a feeling.

dunner13
08-26-2010, 10:31 AM
If phillips has to go on the dL could cabera play 2nd with Janish at SS?

BRM
08-26-2010, 10:39 AM
If phillips has to go on the dL could cabera play 2nd with Janish at SS?

He probably could but I'm sure Dusty would flip them. Cabrera at SS, Janish at 2B.

blumj
08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Looks like Cabrera hasn't played an inning at 2nd base in 10 years, although it's possible he has in a winter league or spring training or some competition.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-26-2010, 11:25 AM
I also would think a strained oblique would make trying to turn a DP from 2B very difficult (as a 2nd baseman).

Janish to 2B and Cabrera to SS sounds right.

OldXOhio
08-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I think BP will be fine. I just have a feeling.

And if he's not? I'm not sure how much of a step back this team takes. You knew OCab was going back into the lineup upon return. If Janish is showing that he's capable of .270/.360/.420, the offense may not miss a beat outside of a little less speed on the basepaths.

Heath
08-26-2010, 11:52 AM
We got through Rolen's injury ok. We've managed before. We'll manage again.

(If necessary)

hebroncougar
08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Any 2b make it through waivers since August 1st?

OesterPoster
08-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Don't know, but Kelly Johnson would look awfully good in this lineup (if BP is out for some time). Chone Figgins, maybe.

PuffyPig
08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't know, but Kelly Johnson would look awfully good in this lineup (if BP is out for some time). Chone Figgins, maybe.

I won't want to take on Figgins 4 year contract for a short term replacement.

klw
08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Any 2b make it through waivers since August 1st?

Pretty safe to assume that Luis Castillo made it through waivers.

NJReds
08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Pretty safe to assume that Luis Castillo made it through waivers.

Yuck. He's in the dictionary under the definition of "done".

Adam Kennedy might be available, and could be a servicable utility guy (plays 1B, 2B, 3B).

But at 2B, there's probably not much available.

redsfandan
08-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I won't want to take on Figgins 4 year contract for a short term replacement.
I don't know, I'm not crazy about his contract either but it could work. He'd be the true leadoff hitter this team could use plus he does have some position versatility (although I'm unsure about his defense). But, I doubt he'd hit waivers.

Anyway, does anyone know when results of the x-rays will be known?

Chip R
08-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Maybe we can get Aaron Miles back.

OesterPoster
08-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Maybe we can get Aaron Miles back.

Didn't the Dodgers just DFA Juan Castro?

I keed, I keed.

medford
08-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Los Manos De Oro? George Grande is salivating at the thought of Juan Castro and Jim Edmunds on the same team.

Speaking of Edmunds, I never did see, but what is the extent of his injury? Too early to tell? Season ending? Back once his 15 days are up?

Reds Fanatic
08-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Los Manos De Oro? George Grande is salivating at the thought of Juan Castro and Jim Edmunds on the same team.

Speaking of Edmunds, I never did see, but what is the extent of his injury? Too early to tell? Season ending? Back once his 15 days are up?

According to this they expect Edmonds to be out 2 to 3 weeks. The interesting thing and I had not heard this before is Edmonds said he was already playing hurt and this had been bothering him for a week or two.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkYhtMV3AIighFvbMWSLZeqFCLcF?slug=tsn-166291

westofyou
08-26-2010, 03:17 PM
According to this they expect Edmonds to be out 2 to 3 weeks. The interesting thing and I had not heard this before is Edmonds said he was already playing hurt and this had been bothering him for a week or two.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkYhtMV3AIighFvbMWSLZeqFCLcF?slug=tsn-166291

It was reported when he was traded for that he had a foot issue

medford
08-26-2010, 03:31 PM
It was reported when he was traded for that he had a foot issue

Achilles issues I believe.

_Sir_Charles_
08-26-2010, 04:09 PM
So nobody's willing to give Valaika a shot at second base if it turns out Phillips is out for a bit? Everybody's willing to give it to Janish and put Cabrera at short it seems (even though Cabrera's not back yet, but that's not the point). I just don't get this. Chris has played well all season long, he's earned this cup of coffee and then HIS SPOT may actually open up on the roster...and we start "looking" for ways to fill it when he's sitting right there? I say we give him a shot at least.

If it comes to that, of course.

PuffyPig
08-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't know, I'm not crazy about his contract either but it could work. He'd be the true leadoff hitter this team could use plus he does have some position versatility (although I'm unsure about his defense). But, I doubt he'd hit waivers.

Anyway, does anyone know when results of the x-rays will be known?

I guess we could fit it in, but I'd rather not.

Much better ways to spend $9M per season than a LF with just OK skills, when we have plenty of cheaper (and maybe better) options.

Taking on an additional $27M over the next 3 seasons for a short term injury replacement at 2ndbase is not in the plans.

BRM
08-26-2010, 04:12 PM
So nobody's willing to give Valaika a shot at second base if it turns out Phillips is out for a bit? Everybody's willing to give it to Janish and put Cabrera at short it seems (even though Cabrera's not back yet, but that's not the point). I just don't get this. Chris has played well all season long, he's earned this cup of coffee and then HIS SPOT may actually open up on the roster...and we start "looking" for ways to fill it when he's sitting right there? I say we give him a shot at least.

So you'd bench Janish and let Valaika play 2B, assuming Cabrera is back?

Big Klu
08-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Achilles issues I believe.

He sulked in his tent?

_Sir_Charles_
08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
So you'd bench Janish and let Valaika play 2B, assuming Cabrera is back?

Nope. I'd let Cabrera WORK his way back in. Janish at SS and Valiaka at 2B. Orlando's an older player who is trying to come back from an oblique injury. He needs to be babied a bit. He was still having trouble throwing the ball just a couple days ago. Truthfully, I think it'll be another week before we see him again.

BRM
08-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Nope. I'd let Cabrera WORK his way back in. Janish at SS and Valiaka at 2B. Orlando's an older player who is trying to come back from an oblique injury. He needs to be babied a bit. He was still having trouble throwing the ball just a couple days ago. Truthfully, I think it'll be another week before we see him again.

I don't necessarily disagree with your approach but I think we all know Dusty will give the job back to Cabrera the instant he's activated. That's the assumption most of us are working under.

reds44
08-26-2010, 04:53 PM
johnfayman X-rays on Phillips negative. He's available this weekend. Nix remains day-to-day. #reds

Thank God.

redsmetz
08-26-2010, 04:55 PM
johnfayman X-rays on Phillips negative. He's available this weekend. Nix remains day-to-day. #reds

Thank God.

Whew.

BRM
08-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Thank God.

Good news.

lollipopcurve
08-26-2010, 04:57 PM
johnfayman X-rays on Phillips negative. He's available this weekend.

Bullet dodged.

Cyclone792
08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Great news on Phillips. It's probably just a very bad contusion - those can swell up pretty nicely, but they'll also heal fairly quick. It may not be a bad idea to give Phillips another day off tomorrow, but he should be 100 percent very soon.

Captain Hook
08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Considering that it's an off day this is about as close to a win as we're going to get although the Nationals beating up the Cards wouldn't be half bad either.

HeatherC1212
08-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Hallelujah!! Great news. Heal up soon Brandon! :D

kbrake
08-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Great news indeed. Was really worried about this today. Now that this is out of the way lets go Nationals. Time for the Big Donkey to heat up.

reds1869
08-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Excellent news!

The Voice of IH
08-26-2010, 05:13 PM
YES!!!!!!!!! God is Good God is great to put this foot on out plate!

mdccclxix
08-26-2010, 05:13 PM
You cannot break Brandon Phillips, Man of Steel.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Great news. Hopefully he's back in the lineup by Saturday.

Griffey012
08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Considering that it's an off day this is about as close to a win as we're going to get although the Nationals beating up the Cards wouldn't be half bad either.

Agreed. I don't even care what happens to the Cards today, it's been enough of a good day already. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

_Sir_Charles_
08-26-2010, 05:30 PM

ummm...HUH?

Oh, and thank goodness Brandon's fine. I'm also glad to hear Micah is rejoining the Bats (did he actually leave them?).

SirFelixCat
08-26-2010, 05:43 PM
He sulked in his tent?

This is so very well done. :thumbup:

Tommyjohn25
08-26-2010, 06:08 PM
This guy is the toughest Red to put on a uniform in years.

mth123
08-26-2010, 06:46 PM

IMO, mediocre defender, can't run, no power, poor OB skills. This is a guy who looks like the definition of empty batting average to me. Sometimes those guys turn out to be Pete Rose or Wade Boggs, but usually they end up like Jeff Branson if they're lucky. This was a guy to deal at the deadline if there was interest IMO.

PuffyPig
08-26-2010, 06:50 PM
IMO, mediocre defender, can't run, no power, poor OB skills. This is a guy who looks like the definition of empty batting average to me. Sometimes those guys turn out to be Pete Rose or Wade Boggs, but usually they end up like Jeff Branson if they're lucky. This was a guy to deal at the deadline if there was interest IMO.

He was selected best defensive 2ndbaseman in the Internationa League FWIW, according to BA.

mth123
08-26-2010, 07:02 PM
He was selected best defensive 2ndbaseman in the Internationa League FWIW, according to BA.

I know. Juan Francisco was selected the best defensive 3B in a league a while back. Not sure it mean's much.

Jpup
08-26-2010, 08:05 PM
This guy is the toughest Red to put on a uniform in years.

Dunn?

Tornon
08-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Dunn?

It's been years since he put on a Reds uniform :D

Tommyjohn25
08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Dunn?

Definitely a toss up, just seems like Brandon plays through more injuries that would sideline most players.

yab1112
08-26-2010, 10:58 PM

I will not be eating dinner at your house anytime soon. :p: