PDA

View Full Version : Divine intervention

Brutus
08-25-2010, 10:06 PM
That's how I would describe the Giants' series this week, and not necessarily in favor of the Reds.

While I hold back none of the blame against the Reds pitching, who frankly did nothing to be absolved of it, as has been mentioned in the game threads these last few days, the Giants were having almost anything and everything falling for hits. Throw in some uncharacteristic fielding mistakes by Cincinnati, and it was a recipe for disaster.

While I'm midlly discouraged about the starting pitching--which I think is a fair concern--I also won't make the mistake of taking too awful much away from this series.

Take a look:

7 homers (OK that's not so encouraging), but...

46 hits in play
103 balls in play
.447 balls in play

Just quickly going through the PBP reports, I saw at least ten (10) groundball and infield hits by the Giants in 3 games. And I'm sure I missed several. There were (I think) 5 infield hits alone.

The pitching was pretty bad. But wow was that some awfully nice intervention for the Giants this week.

cincrazy
08-25-2010, 10:11 PM
That's how I would describe the Giants' series this week, and not necessarily in favor of the Reds.

While I hold none of the blame against the Reds pitching, who frankly did nothing to be absolved of it, as has been mentioned in the game threads these last few days, the Giants were having almost anything and everything falling for hits. Throw in some uncharacteristic fielding mistakes by Cincinnati, and it was a recipe for disaster.

While I'm midlly discouraged about the starting pitching--which I think is a fair concern--I also won't make the mistake of taking too awful much away from this series.

Take a look:

46 hits in play
103 balls in play
.447 balls in play

Just quickly going through the PBP reports, I saw at least ten (10) groundball and infield hits by the Giants in 3 games. And I'm sure I missed several. There were (I think) 5 infield hits alone.

The pitching was pretty bad. But wow was that some awfully nice intervention for the Giants this week.

The Giants surely had an abnormal rate of balls fall in for hits, but in fairness to them, they were SMOKING the ball. I can't remember the last time I saw a team click on all cylinders like that. I feared literally every single hitter that stepped to the plate all three games.

I think the Cards series a few weeks ago was more of a matter of luck. The Giants, on the other hand, were simply crushing the ball. Part of that has to do with them being in the "zone" I'm sure. The other part of it... our pitchers were living in the middle of the plate.

Mario-Rijo
08-25-2010, 10:13 PM

While I hold none of the blame against the Reds pitching, who frankly did nothing to be absolved of it, as has been mentioned in the game threads these last few days, the Giants were having almost anything and everything falling for hits. Throw in some uncharacteristic fielding mistakes by Cincinnati, and it was a recipe for disaster.

Take a look:

46 hits in play
103 balls in play
.447 balls in play

That and some young arms getting worn out and leaving pitches up in the zone. Ya gotta keep those pitches down with these hacksters. But yeah they definitely had some kind of intervention this series.

Brutus
08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
The Giants surely had an abnormal rate of balls fall in for hits, but in fairness to them, they were SMOKING the ball. I can't remember the last time I saw a team click on all cylinders like that. I feared literally every single hitter that stepped to the plate all three games.

I think the Cards series a few weeks ago was more of a matter of luck. The Giants, on the other hand, were simply crushing the ball. Part of that has to do with them being in the "zone" I'm sure. The other part of it... our pitchers were living in the middle of the plate.

I definitely don't mean to take away credit from those hitters. They have gone out and traded for several seasoned veterans that have a lot of experience and can swing the bat. They've got a team of hackers that can get hot, and this was one of those series'.

Mario-Rijo
08-25-2010, 10:19 PM
I definitely don't mean to take away credit from those hitters. They have gone out and traded for several seasoned veterans that have a lot of experience and can swing the bat. They've got a team of hackers that can get hot, and this was one of those series'.

When you spend a series getting Carpenter and Garcia (I think they missed Wainwright) then Wood and Volquez (post injury) isn't so hot. Homer acquitted himself quite nicely though I actually thought he should have left the guy in when he took him out.