PDA

View Full Version : You Know It's Kind of sad...

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Right now I'm watching highlights of today's games on MLB-TV, and the Angels game was being reviewed/

I know everyone loves the Reds' uniforms, bu,t it's kind of sad that the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have more red on their uniforms than the Cincinnati Reds. We need a uniform overhaul in a big way. With the players now hiding their socks (Redlegs?), the only red is the piping and the white wishbone C, surrounded by red. Something's wrong here.

Tornon
08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Right now I'm watching highlights of today's games on MLB-TV, and the Angels game was being reviewed/

I know everyone loves the Reds' uniforms, bu,t it's kind of sad that the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have more red on their uniforms than the Cincinnati Reds. We need a uniform overhaul in a big way. With the players now hiding their socks (Redlegs?), the only red is the piping and the white wishbone C, surrounded by red. Something's wrong here.

Are you proposing a mascot change to the Cincinnati Whites?

Mario-Rijo
08-25-2010, 10:15 PM

I love these current uni's, I wouldn't rather have any others. Also don't forget about the sunday special jerseys. Maybe they should make the gray the Sunday specials and the Red Jerseys the road ones.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Are you proposing a mascot change to the Cincinnati Whites?At least when they are home :). The uniforms need some bold color. Right now, they look like they are playing in their pajamas or hospital uniforms. It's sad when the road uniforms are more colorful than the home unis.

As for the Red jerseys, I'd like to see them more. At least they are RED!

Redsfan320
08-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I'd love a black alternate. But that's just me.

Mario-Rijo
08-25-2010, 10:25 PM

Black & Red would be sweet looking, though hotter than all get out.

Redsfan320
08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Black & Red would be sweet looking, though hotter than all get out.

Yeah, I know. It'd still be pretty awesome though. If they were to get the black unis, I would want them as a alternate road uniform.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:31 PM
How about five uniforms like other teams? The present version with a red wishbone C with a dark blue interior and pinstripes. A vest version with red sleeves somewhat like used in 1961-63. The current gray road uniform with pinstripes, An alternative black/red jersey, and the Red Sunday jersey.

corkedbat
08-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I miss the gray, red and black look myself - especially the sleeveless and the pinstripes. Even though they are the Reds or "Redlegs" I hate the high red sock look move than anything (always have). I prefer the pants to the shoes. Back in the day I liked the high stirrups. Loved the Big Red machine in the 70s, but the uniforms - knit, pullover jerseys, low stirrup, high red socks and the all black shoes - were amongst the worst baseball unis ever.

WMR
08-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I wish they would go back to the throwback unis they wore this season full-time. I bet the road version of it would be just as sweet.

Our unis have just as much history as the Red Sox and Yankees. Their unis are so iconic... a shame what our uniform has become, IMO.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:38 PM
I miss the red and black look my self - especially the sleeveless and the pinstripes. Even though tey are the Reds or "Redlegs" I hate the hugh red sock look move than anything (always have). I prefer the pants to the shoes. Back in the day I like the high stirrups. Love the Big Red machine in the 70s, but the uniforms - knit, pullover jerseys, low stirrup, high red socks and the all blackshoes - were amongst the worst baseball unis ever.I agree with the 70's uniforms being hideous, but they had more red on them than the present pajamas, er, unis have.

I prefer the navy blue used in the 50's and 60's over the black to augment the red, but heck, these days they have to augment the white. Many love the BRM uniforms because they are reminded of the glory days, but the club was so conservative then that anything else wouldn't have been tolerated.

Heath
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
If the Angels were bold, they'd throw a halo on their hats.

Not the little thing around the A. The whole top.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I wish they would go back to the throwback unis they wore this season full-time. I bet the road version of it would be just as sweet.

Our unis have just as much history as the Red Sox and Yankees. Their unis are so iconic... a shame what our uniform has become, IMO.

Exactly. And the throwbacks were nice. Forgot about them. I really liked them a lot.

WMR
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Exactly. And the throwbacks were nice. Forgot about them. I really liked them a lot.

Do you remember what year they were? Extremely sharp.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:41 PM

Remember the 60's? They had the halo on the hat and the helmet.

MattyHo4Life
08-25-2010, 10:41 PM

After rading this thread, I thought I was alone with my opinion, until I rad this post. I agree 100% with this post though. I nver really cared for the black uniforms. I love the retro uniforms. Is it possible that a Cardinals fan likes the old Reds uniforms better than most Reds fans? lol

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Do you remember what year they were? Extremely sharp.The late 50's I believe. Before my time, but nice. Very nice.

Redsfan320
08-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Could this year's civil rights jerseys have been the 1937 ones?: http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1937_cincinnati.gif

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
After rading this thread, I thought I was alone with my opinion, until I rad this post. I agree 100% with this post though. I nver really cared for the black uniforms. I love the retro uniforms. Is it possible that a Cardinals fan likes the old Reds uniforms better than most Reds fans? lolMattyMo, look at the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Giants. The uniforms all those teams wore in the 50's through today are pretty much the same. The Reds should go back to the classic uniforms of that era IMHO, just like you guys do.

Redsfan320
08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Nope, WVRedsfan is right. Had to be these, from '55: http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1955_cincinnati.gif

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Could this year's civil rights jerseys have been the 1937 ones?: http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1937_cincinnati.gif

320Yes. Red Wishbone C, augmented with navy. NICE.

WMR
08-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Here's the game thread where they wore them:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82004

It was to commemorate Jackie's rookie season, I think? According to the GT.

WVRedsFan
Nope, WVRedsfan is right. Had to be these, from '55: http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1955_cincinnati.gif

320YOU'RE RIGHT! those are the uniforms.

Redsfan320
Yes. Red Wishbone C, augmented with navy. NICE.

Yeah, while I prefer black over blue as the highlight color, those '37 ones are pretty sharp.

Redsfan320
08-25-2010, 10:48 PM
The same uniforms (as the '55 ones I posted) were worn in Robinson's rookie year of '47, so yeah.

MattyHo4Life
08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
MattyMo, look at the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Giants. The uniforms all those teams wore in the 50's through today are pretty much the same. The Reds should go back to the classic uniforms of that era IMHO, just like you guys do.

I agree completely...the Rds have a long tradition, and they should wear it on their back.

Redsfan320
08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Only difference is that the '55 one had Mr. Redlegs head on the sleeve, while all previous years of that uniform (1947+) did not.

WMR
08-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Only difference is that the '55 one had Mr. Redlegs head on the sleeve, while all previous years of that uniform (1947+) did not.

Yeah I would definitely lose the mr. redleg thing.

If you're going for iconic, go all the way.

Redsfan320
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM
BTW, this is what I've been checking: "Dressed to the Nines" a baseball HOF uniform database, this page showing reds unis from '38 to '70 (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?lowYear=1920&highYear=1970&city=Cincinnati&league=NL&sort=year&increment=18&pos=19)

Playadlc
08-25-2010, 10:57 PM
The black bill on our road uni's is just dumb. I hate it.

Ditch the black completely and I would be okay with our uniforms.

corkedbat
08-25-2010, 11:20 PM
I like the Blue and Red caps, but dang! they look a lot like the Cubs and there's little in Basebal I hate more than a Cub - Heck, I can even dislike Ernie Banks (no, not really).

I like the 60-62 look as an alternative uni - the pinstripes, the slevelss look and for some reason, I like the white caps and the Red Trim.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 11:42 PM

320That style (and I agree the Mr. Red thing is best deleted), plus a vest style, the all red and maybe even an occasional black jersey would be welcome, but red must be prominent.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2010, 12:06 AM

Those uniforms are beautiful. I would love to see the Reds go back to wearing those uniforms.

fearofpopvol1
08-26-2010, 12:13 AM
I love the alternate home jerseys they use...that are red. Those things are sweet. In fact, when I bought my Bruce jersey, that's how I ordered it.

macro
08-26-2010, 12:56 AM
At least when they are home :). The uniforms need some bold color. Right now, they look like they are playing in their pajamas or hospital uniforms. It's sad when the road uniforms are more colorful than the home unis.

As for the Red jerseys, I'd like to see them more. At least they are RED!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0904/this.day.sports.history.april8/images/pete-rose.jpg

I have always felt that the uniform above is the best the team has ever worn, and there are lots of people who agree with me. Randy from this site is one. And they are mostly white.

If I had my druthers, they'd completely eliminate the black, but the current set is, in my opinion, the second-best the team has ever had. The "black era" of 1999-2006 represents the dark ages of the franchise as far as uniforms are concerned. The road vests with black sleeves and black caps were hideous, and the black sleeves and caps with the home whites were even worse. Furthermore, they represent one of the longest streaks of futility in the history of the franchise. I am SO happy that those are gone.

More red is not needed. Simplicity is. The Cardinals have it exactly right with their home uniforms, and their roads would be perfect if they'd get rid of the ill-fitting navy caps and wear red ones.

Chip R
08-26-2010, 01:08 AM
I have always felt that the uniform above is the best the team has ever worn, and there are lots of people who agree with me. Randy from this site is one. And they are mostly white.

If I had my druthers, they'd completely eliminate the black, but the current set is, in my opinion, the second-best the team has ever had. The "black era" of 1999-2006 represents the dark ages of the franchise as far as uniforms are concerned. The road vests with black sleeves and black caps were hideous, and the black sleeves and caps with the home whites were even worse. Furthermore, they represent one of the longest streaks of futility in the history of the franchise. I am SO happy that those are gone.

I like that uniform too. I really liked the ones they had in 93 and 94. Not really crazy about the white caps but the road unis were the best.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1993_cincinnati.gif

Cedric
08-26-2010, 01:20 AM
I like that uniform too. I really liked the ones they had in 93 and 94. Not really crazy about the white caps but the road unis were the best.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1993_cincinnati.gif

I don't particularly like the pin stripe part of that uniform. I like the color combination though.

I just don't want black anywhere on the uniform.

WVRedsFan
08-26-2010, 02:05 AM
The wishbone C has to be red and the highlight color (I prefer the navy blue) is only an accent. The Pete Rose picture shown above has the same problem that the present uniform has--too bland, although I like them better than the present uniform. Unfortunately, so many relate that uniform with the BRM and want that uniform because it brings back memories. I still like the 1955 version even though I like the vests. Pinstripes are OK, but let's go back to a traditional uniform. They used that style for so long that the uniform used from the 40's until the late 50's would be great. The BRM era was wonderful, but to me it means astroturf, a crazy stadium that wasn't suited for baseball, and a past that included a lot of losses after Sparky, Foster, Perez, Rose, Morgan, and many others were long gone. As euphoric as it was in those days, it doesn't have the history of the 55 unis. Let's get back to our roots. And by that, I mean when Reds baseball was the only game in town. Jusyt like the Yankees, Cardinals, and others have always done.

KronoRed
08-26-2010, 02:09 AM
I can't stand pinstripes, I do like the 1950's hat.

reds44
08-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Our home Sunday jerseys need to be the fulltime home or road jerseys. Been saying that for awhile now.

nemesis
08-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Are you proposing a mascot change to the Cincinnati Whites?

The Cincinnati Police approve this message...

HI-OH!!!!

RFS62
08-26-2010, 07:32 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0904/this.day.sports.history.april8/images/pete-rose.jpg

More red is not needed. Simplicity is. The Cardinals have it exactly right with their home uniforms, and their roads would be perfect if they'd get rid of the ill-fitting navy caps and wear red ones.

I agree. That was by far my favorite uniform.

I have a problem with the new style of sleeveless unis. They aren't cut deep enough, it's like they just decided not to put the sleeves on a regular uni. I think it's probably because it takes too much room off the back for the players names.

And today's shoes are so much higher in profile that stirrups look odd, so I've given up on ever seeing that look take hold again.

And please get rid of the black bill on the road hats.

Cyclone792
08-26-2010, 07:54 AM
I've always been a fan of these:

http://www.crosley-field.com/images/ron222.jpg

Homer Bailey
08-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I could not be happier with our home whites. I think they are gorgeous jerseys. I remember the first day they wore them ('07?) on opening day. So much better than the cut-off sleeve pinstripe ones. I got goosebumps seeing those jerseys in person, and bought a Hamilton one immediately.

traderumor
08-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree with the 70's uniforms being hideous, but they had more red on them than the present pajamas, er, unis have.

I prefer the navy blue used in the 50's and 60's over the black to augment the red, but heck, these days they have to augment the white. Many love the BRM uniforms because they are reminded of the glory days, but the club was so conservative then that anything else wouldn't have been tolerated.The 70s uniforms had less Red. Red trim in the sleeves and neckline and red and white waistline.

dsmith421
08-26-2010, 09:29 AM

That would make my eyes bleed. The current uniforms are fantastic and should stay forever, just go back to an all-red hat on the road.

During the 90s and 2000s there was this movement in sports where every team had to integrate black into their uniforms, even if it had no business there. It's one thing for the White Sox to wear black jerseys -- that's part of their colors. The Mets, A's, Bulls, etc. just looked stupid. (God, even Xavier wore black on the road then, for no apparent reason). And the Reds' home uniforms when they had black undershirts were horrible, in my opinion.

The Reds current look is fantastic. The only thing I would change is remove all the black from the uniforms. All red hats on the road, change the black accents to navy the way it was in the 50s and 60s or eliminate the black trim altogether.

I also LOVE the 50s throwback navy blue cap with red C, so much so that I bought my own.

dsmith421
08-26-2010, 09:32 AM
MattyMo, look at the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Giants. The uniforms all those teams wore in the 50's through today are pretty much the same. The Reds should go back to the classic uniforms of that era IMHO, just like you guys do.

The Giants have changed their uniforms quite often before going back to the retro "cream" jerseys they have now. They wore quite a garish orange jersey in the early 80s and did a lot of black during the Bonds era.

The Cubs also have done a lot of different things with their uniforms. They wore powder blue away uniforms with pinstripes in the early 80s, and now incorporate an all-blue softball looking top on the road.

The Tigers, Yanks, and Dodgers are pretty consistent, as is the basic design of the Cardinals uniforms (although their hat changes quite often).

Heath
08-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Remember the 60's? They had the halo on the hat and the helmet.

I bought the LA version of that hat. That's what the Angels need to do.

If you are asking for unichanges, I think the font they have right now is the best they have had in a long time.

Throw the font on the '67 unis, add the pinstripes on the road uni and I've got a winner.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?Entryid=1093&fileName=nl_1967_cincinnati.gif

Roy Tucker
08-26-2010, 09:42 AM

circa 1970...

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/pictures/cap_wright.jpg

Heath
08-26-2010, 09:49 AM
circa 1970...

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/pictures/cap_wright.jpg

This is the hat I got.

http://www.minorleagues.com/media/ANLA.jpg

reds1869
08-26-2010, 10:02 AM
I love our current home whites. Simple and classy. I'm also a fan of our red alternates. The road jersey could use a little tinkering but overall is pretty nice. I wouldn't mind seeing the red jersey as our full time road jersey with a new alternate for home Sundays.

Hoosier Red
08-26-2010, 10:04 AM
After rading this thread, I thought I was alone with my opinion, until I rad this post. I agree 100% with this post though. I nver really cared for the black uniforms. I love the retro uniforms. Is it possible that a Cardinals fan likes the old Reds uniforms better than most Reds fans? lol

Actually I was at the Reds/Cards game in May when they both played in these and I thought the same thing, "Wow I like the old Cardinals uniforms"

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_2010_losangeles.gif&Entryid=2355

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=nl_2010_cincinnati.gif&Entryid=2348

As to the original post, maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the Angels have "more" red than the Reds. Both uniforms seem to have Red lettering, a Red hat and Red socks.

Also, I'm incompetent pasting photos so if someone wants to click on the links and post the photos for a comparison I'd be much obliged.

Always Red
08-26-2010, 10:06 AM

http://www.crosley-field.com/images/ron222.jpg

I really liked those "blues" when the Reds wore them in a throwback game earlier this year (Leake pitched, IIRC).

Here is another view of the perfect Reds uniform, though I define myself as a grumpy old man by posting it:

http://www.crosley-field.com/images/what.jpg

Ghosts of 1990
08-26-2010, 10:09 AM
They've got the uniforms perfect now. And finally a winning team wearing it.

Let losing teams like the Indians change their regular and alternate every year. Lets start a tradition of winning wearing what we have right now--the best uniform in the big leagues. I'm tired of changing it every 8 years.

Our uniforms are a perfect blend of modern/classic, with the red alternate top at home being great during day games. Add a black top for the aways if you want, but leave the winners uniforms alone.

Roy Tucker
08-26-2010, 10:12 AM
FWIW, I like the current Reds uniforms.

I'm not totally keen on the riverboat-style font on the letters and numerals lettering, but its nots distracting. I'm more of a plain font guy. But its fine.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
I like the current Reds uniform, just without the piping. It's unnecessary.

Agree with macro and always Reds too about that uniform from the late 60's/early 70's. Love it.

Ghosts of 1990
08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I think the one thing (if any) I admire about the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, etc. and their fan base is the uniform is the furthest thing from their mind. There's never going to be a change and they don't need one. They're worried about winning, and keeping tradition. I wish the Reds would adopt this principle.

RANDY IN INDY
08-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Perfection! One thing that not a lot of people notice with that uniform is the belt loops on the pants. Not the usual tunnel belt loops. The only team that wears pants like this, today, is the Detroit Tigers, at home. Have always loved the look. Gotta agree with RFS62 about the Red hat with black bill. Just not a good look. Would love to see a vest uniform as a home alternate and, while I thought I would never say this, would like to see them wear the red jersey, occasionally, on the road.

macro
08-26-2010, 11:24 AM
The Pete Rose picture shown above has the same problem that the present uniform has--too bland, although I like them better than the present uniform. Unfortunately, so many relate that uniform with the BRM and want that uniform because it brings back memories.

But the BRM only wore that uniform in 1970. (I refuse to include the 1971 team as part of the BRM.) In 1972 they switched to the one below, and that's what I think most remember from the Astroturf, cookie-cutter stadium days...

http://pages.prodigy.net/macknife13/75reds.jpg

I agree that they should never return to pullover jerseys and elastic waistbands. Those are a relic of the 70s and 80s and should stay there. I loved those uniforms as a kid, but looking back, the switch from the 1968-71 models to these should have never been made in 1972. But hey, it was the 70s, and these were trendy and modern, so I understand why they did it.