PDA

View Full Version : Possible roster moves

Kc61
08-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Leake and Lecure are currently in the bullpen. Not sure how long either will be counted on as relievers. Chapman, Harang, Fisher, Herrera would seem like the possible replacements. Lots of choices there.

Volquez spot in the rotation has been questioned in the press. The only candidate to replace him would be Maloney IMO, and I don't see it happening. I expect V to stay in the rotation. (He warmed up in the pen today, but the team was out of relievers in a long game. I don't read anything into that.)

Nix seems unable to run. The obvious replacement on the forty man roster is Francisco, a lefty bat. That would limit the Reds to just four true outfielders, but I don't see that as a big problem.

Phillips is hopefully ok. If he must miss time, my guess is the Reds will find a way to bring Wlad Balentien up. The forty man roster doesn't have many position players left, so they may have to make a move to add somebody. If so, I see Wlad as the guy. Alonso is a possibility on the forty.

Obviously, Cabrera could join instead of Francisco or Balentien, but that assumes OC is ready. Once ready he will be in there for sure.

So the Reds have a bunch of spots to fill right now, as they head home to continue the stretch drive.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Herrera? Surely you jest.

Kc61
08-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Herrera? Surely you jest.

DRH has pretty good AAA numbers of late. I think he is an unlikely candidate, Chapman, Harang and Fisher are more likely.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
DRH has pretty good AAA numbers of late. I think he is an unlikely candidate, Chapman, Harang and Fisher are more likely.AAA is AAA and MLB is MLB. DRH doesn't need anymore time up here.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
I would bring up Balentien and Chapman.

RED VAN HOT
08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I would bring up Balentien and Chapman.

I agree with the selections. Balentien has shown as much power as Francisco. Balentien is not on the 40 man roster, however. If I understand the rules correctly, adding him to the 40 will require keeping him on the 25 next year as he is out of options. On the other hand, if they leave him unprotected in the off season, he will be taken. He is a power bat who also has a glove and arm. Thus, the Reds seem to face a decision soon concerning his future next year. Let's give him a September audition to better inform the decision process.

medford
08-26-2010, 02:33 PM
There are no september auditions during a penant chase. Pinch hit, spot start or two, maybe, but no way they're bringing up Ballentine for a September auditions baring injury.

Kc61
08-26-2010, 03:56 PM
I think the Reds will bring up Francisco before Balentien for the simple reason that JF is on the forty man roster.

We're talking backups here, guys to fill out the bench. The forty man roster on this club is tight - probably nobody the team just wants to cut loose. So instead of forcing a roster move, I think the Reds will bring up Francisco.

Or the Reds could just keep Nix and potentially Phillips on the 25-man roster if they are "day to day." This effectively gives Dusty a short bench until they are truly ready to contribute.

Depends on how badly they are hurt, obviously. But if one is DLd, the first move I'd expect is Francisco.

NJReds
08-26-2010, 04:21 PM
The Dodgers put Kuroda on waivers. He's in the final year of a 3 yr/$35M contract, so it wouldn't cost much. He'd be interesting as a starter or long reliever.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2010, 05:15 PM
The Dodgers put Kuroda on waivers. He's in the final year of a 3 yr/$35M contract, so it wouldn't cost much. He'd be interesting as a starter or long reliever.

I would love to see the Reds claim Kuroda.

nate
08-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Kuroda could be useful.

reds44
08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
The Dodgers also put Podsednik on waivers.

mth123
08-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Put me down as a yay for Kuroda and a nay for Podsednik.

As far a Wlad goes, the Reds lost Edmonds and Nix, I'm guessing the team would want the lefty bat and would go with Francisco.

PuffyPig
08-26-2010, 08:00 PM
There are no september auditions during a penant chase. Pinch hit, spot start or two, maybe, but no way they're bringing up Ballentine for a September auditions baring injury.

It wouldn't surprise me if Balletin was our best hitting OF if given the chance for the rest of the season.

nate
08-26-2010, 08:27 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Balletin was our best hitting OF if given the chance for the rest of the season.

Maybe. I think he could be very productive during both halves of the inning.

mth123
08-26-2010, 08:30 PM

I think one of the more over-rated things on this board is Wlad's defense. His rep was fairly mediocre as a Seattle minor leaguer. I think it has grown because he's compared with Dunn, Griffey and Gomes in the eyes of the fan. Other than Gomes, all the current Reds' OF are better defenders.

VR
08-27-2010, 01:44 AM

Before tonight he was hitting .402 post all-star.....with 12 dingers and a 1.241 ops.

That's good.

WebScorpion
08-27-2010, 03:14 AM
Before tonight he was hitting .402 post all-star.....with 12 dingers and a 1.241 ops in AAA.

That's good.

Fixed that for ya. ;)