PDA

View Full Version : This is what we wanted, right?

BearcatShane
08-26-2010, 02:31 AM
I mean, they're not perfect, but they're pretty good.

It's August 26th and the Reds have a 3.5 game lead on the Cradinals with 35 games to play.

They play hard, they fight back, they get timely hits, they bounce back from tough losses and they seem to genuinely care about winning.

This season has been fun but sometimes you just got to sit back and soak it all in. Every August since 2001 when the Reds were almost always a lock to be at least 8 games out I would say I just want too see what it feels like to contend. I must say, it feels great. On paper the Reds are built to contend for probably the next 3-5 years at least. But you just never know. Enjoy it Reds fans, and lets hope they finish the job!

WVRedsFan
08-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Even if they don't, it beats the last 10 years. I'm happy even if some of the moves of the manager drive me nuts and the pitching staff does things that seem unintelligent. I'll take it and no matter what happens, it makes me forget Bob Boone, Dave Miley, and Jerry Narron along with Wayne Krivsky. Thank God they are gone along with Patterson, AGon, Edwin, Fogg, David Ross, and the older Mike Stanton. It's a new day and the future looks pretty good. Thank you Walt Jocketty and the rest of the professional staff that BCast assembled.

mth123
08-26-2010, 06:22 AM
I mean, they're not perfect, but they're pretty good.

It's August 26th and the Reds have a 3.5 game lead on the Cradinals with 35 games to play.

They play hard, they fight back, they get timely hits, they bounce back from tough losses and they seem to genuinely care about winning.

This season has been fun but sometimes you just got to sit back and soak it all in. Every August since 2001 when the Reds were almost always a lock to be at least 8 games out I would say I just want too see what it feels like to contend. I must say, it feels great. On paper the Reds are built to contend for probably the next 3-5 years at least. But you just never know. Enjoy it Reds fans, and lets hope they finish the job!

Its exactly what we wanted and I, for one, am enjoying the heck out of it. Just because some of bring up flaws to be addressed or moves that we'd like to see made, doesn't mean we aren't loving it. We just want to see the team enhance its chances of sealing the deal and bettering its chances in the post-season.

RedEye
08-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Just because some of bring up flaws to be addressed or moves that we'd like to see made, doesn't mean we aren't loving it. We just want to see the team enhance its chances of sealing the deal and bettering its chances in the post-season.

Amen. As one of the recent "downers" on the board, I just want to say that criticism also is my way of showing love for this team. It's why I'm a RedsZoner to begin with. Go Reds! :)

BuckeyeRedleg
08-26-2010, 04:14 PM
What a season!

Going back to last year (the Reds finished 27-13 in their last 40 games), the Reds have now won 100 of their last 167 games (100-67).

Over the last 162?

95-67

Thank you, Scott Rolen. I was wrong. Forgive me.

Ghosts of 1990
08-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I love this group, they're not a group of All-Stars but as you said they're very good when the sum of the parts are combined.

That said, is it okay to get greedy and expect postseason play now this October instead of just competing? That's where I find myself.

REDREAD
08-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Most enjoyable season since 1999.

Thank you, Walt, Cast, and Dusty.

paulrichjr
08-27-2010, 11:50 PM
I love this group, they're not a group of All-Stars

Uhh did you watch the All Star game this year? The infield was pretty well represented by the Cincinnati Reds.

sabometrics
08-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Uhh did you watch the All Star game this year? The infield was pretty well represented by the Cincinnati Reds.

Coming off the bench. Not really the most heralded players of the season is what he was trying to say I guess, even if we did have our fair share of All-Stars on the team.

paulrichjr
08-28-2010, 08:31 AM
This isn't meant to start a big debate but is only an observation. It is hard to imagine just how good this team would be right now if Josh Hamilton was in left field. (how about Dunn in left and Hamilton in center?) I was watching highlights from the Rangers last night on MLB and they were talking about him being the best player in the AL. Votto might be the best in the NL. The offense would have been scary.

Sea Ray
08-28-2010, 11:35 AM
This isn't meant to start a big debate but is only an observation. It is hard to imagine just how good this team would be right now if Josh Hamilton was in left field. (how about Dunn in left and Hamilton in center?) I was watching highlights from the Rangers last night on MLB and they were talking about him being the best player in the AL. Votto might be the best in the NL. The offense would have been scary.

Hamilton's not a CF anymore. He can't handle the beating on his body. I'd love to see him in left, though