PDA

View Full Version : A Wing And A Player (HOF article)

westofyou
08-26-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.seamheads.com/2010/08/23/a-wing-and-a-player/

Did you know that 153 of the 387 members of the Baseball Hall of Fame never played a game in the major leagues? That seems like a large percentage, doesn’t it, nearly 40%? What are the folks in Cooperstown thinking, putting such a major emphasis on non-players? Does that seem right to you?

The Voice of IH
08-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Much a do about nothing. Broadcasters and Writers play a huge part. without their inside and analysis baseball would not be what it is.

George Anderson
08-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Much a do about nothing. Broadcasters and Writers play a huge part. without their inside and analysis baseball would not be what it is.

Broadcasters and writers play a huge part but not 40% worth.

mth123
08-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Broadcasters and writers play a huge part but not 40% worth.

No, but you of all people should know that umpires make up a part of that 40%. Some owners, execs and league presidents as well.

George Anderson
08-26-2010, 08:21 PM
No, but you of all people should know that umpires make up a part of that 40%. Some owners, execs and league presidents as well.

Well if the umpires count towards the 40% then I am in total agreement !! ;)

According to the article they also are including broadcasters as part of the 40%. I know they have their own seperate wing but it always struck me as odd that people like Marty Brennamen and Jack Buck have the same title of Hall of Famer as Babe Ruth and Cy Young do.

mth123
08-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Well if the umpires count towards the 40% then I am in total agreement !! ;)

According to the article they also are including broadcasters as part of the 40%. I know they have their own seperate wing but it always struck me as odd that people like Marty Brennamen and Jack Buck have the same title of Hall of Famer as Babe Ruth and Cy Young do.

I get that and kind of agree. OTOH, Marty Brennaman has been a big part of fan's lives for nearly 40 years. Same with most HOF broadcasters. The Roses, Benches, Seavers and Larkins come and go, but the impact of a local announcer who becomes an fixture is pretty big on the game.