PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Top Ten

cinreds21
08-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Bordem led me to this. But what is your guys' 2011 Cincinnati Reds Top Ten Prospects?

Here's mine:

1. Aroldis Chapman
2. Yonder Alonso
3. Devin Mesoraco
4. Yorman Rodriguez
5. Todd Frazier
6. Donnie Joseph
7. Yasmani Grandal
8. Juan Francisco
9. Zack Cozart
10. Neftali Soto

I feel as though I could flip flop some of them (Frazier and Joseph and Grandal and Francisco)

Thoughts? This is just off the top of my head without a deep look into it.

bubbachunk
08-27-2010, 03:13 AM
1. Aroldis Chapman
2. Yonder Alonso
3. Devin Mesoraco
4. Yorman Rodriguez
5. Yasmani Grandal
6. Zack Cozart
7. Donnie Joseph
8. Todd Frazier
9. Juan Francisco
10. Neftali Soto

Mine for now, maybe one of the young pitchers jumps in there depending on reports.

mth123
08-27-2010, 04:23 AM
1. Aroldis Chapman
2. Devin Mesoraco
3. Zach Cozart
4. Yonder Alonso
5. Donnie Joseph
6. Yorman Rodriguez
7. Billy Hamilton
8. Yasmani Grandal
9. Juan Duran
10. Juan Francisco

For me the top 5 is pretty clear. After that there may be about 30 guys who you could put in the bottom half of the top 10 and I could see the reasoning.

nemesis
08-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Chapman - 104 MPH
Mesoraco - Defensive catcher who hits with power and patience
Cozart - Balanced SS prospect with power
Joseph - 2nd best LHR in the Minors (Collins)
Alonso - 1B prospect who can't play 1B in Cincy doesn't make him much of a prospect
Grandal - Switch hitting catcher who can maybe play 3B
Yorman - He will be in the majors in 3 years. Watch.
Francisco - Hits and hits and hits, year after year after year.
Frazier - Has found a home in LF, Bat has come around in 2nd half
Soto - Only has a 12% LD rate and is still OPSing .850 vs RHP

BuckeyeRedleg
08-27-2010, 10:01 AM
1. Aroldis Chapman
2. Devin Mesoraco
3. Zach Cozart
4. Yonder Alonso
5. Donnie Joseph
6. Yorman Rodriguez
7. Billy Hamilton
8. Yasmani Grandal
9. Juan Duran
10. Juan Francisco

For me the top 5 is pretty clear. After that there may be about 30 guys who you could put in the bottom half of the top 10 and I could see the reasoning.

This ^^^^

dougdirt
08-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Mine is quite a bit different from those posted so far. My top 5 is Chapman, Mesoraco, Alonso and Hamilton/Rodriguez (not sure just yet on where I am leaning on this one).

GIDP
08-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Chapman
Mesoraco
Alonso
Rodriguez
Hamilton
Cozart
Grandal
Frazier
Duran
Joseph

I will admit I dont know enough about the lower minors guys real talent other than guys who blow away the league in some fashion. my 9 and 10 are really flimsy and could easily move to 12 if I just knew more about some other guys.

AWA85
08-27-2010, 10:30 AM
1. Aroldis Chapman
2. Devin Mesoraco
3. Yonder Alonso
4. Yorman Rodriguez
5. Yasmani Grandal
6. Billy Hamilton
7. Todd Frazier
8. Zack Cozart
9. Juan Francisco
10. Donnie Jose[h

Really, 5-9 could be mixed up in any order and I would not argue it. I am still high on Frazier, as Cozart I still wonder about once he gets up to face consistent MLB pitching and catching.

Some of the AZL Reds as well as Sotto, LaMarre would just be on the outside of my list.

mace
08-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Ten is hard. But I'll cast my lot with:

1. Chapman
2. Mesoraco
3. Yorman
4. Francisco
5. Cozart
6. Alonso
7. Hamilton
8. Frazier
9. Torreyes
10. Joseph

The majority of the next 10 could easily slip into the bottom of the top 10, depending on the way the wind is blowing that day:

Guillon, Grandal, Correa, Barnhart, Sappelt, Duran, Johnson, LaMarre, Gregorius, Arias.

Betterread
08-27-2010, 11:24 AM
1. Chapman
2. Mesoraco
3. Alonso
4. Rodriguez
5. Cozart
6. Grandal
7. Hamilton
8. Francisco
9. Arias
10. Guilon or Boxberger
I am afraid that Frazier and Maloney have reached the ceiling of their potential.
The progress that Lotzka and Ravin showed is very encouraging. They could really show improved performance next year if they sustain this success.
There are lots of short -season prospects: great optimism for 2011 to see what they can do.

medford
08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll post a differnt answer of the same ilk:

10 prospects I'm most interested in watching their progress/performance in 2011 (ie guy's who's ceiling or current abilitys make me salivate the most, so its likely going to be high on low minors guys w/ lots of potential)

1) Chapman: what's not to love about a lefty throwing 104 mph off the bump? Will he make the rotation in the majors, start out in the minors or remain in the pen?
2) Mes: The guys development has been unreal. Starting out in Cincy is unlikely unless there's an injury in spring training, but I'm looking forward to his big league debut sometime in 2011.
3) Yorman: Oddles of potential and should be displaying for a full season for the first time.
4) Alonso: He'd be 2nd on this list if I didn't think he's going to be on someone else's major league roster next spring. None the less, unless he learns to play LF, I'm excited to see the return he nets this winter and his eventual development in the pros. Seems like he's going to be a bat to reckon with.
5) Hamilton: so much athleticism and potential, should be on display for a full season along w/ Yorman in Dayton. Dayton is going to be fun to follow.
6) Grandal: freshly minted 1st round pick, could be part of one of the deeper catching systems in the majors next year. How have things changed in the catching prospect department for the Reds the last couple of seasons.
7) Soto: Will he go to the AFL to play more catcher? Will he get in better shape? Could be a great stick behind the plate if he ever learns the position. If they move him off of catcher permantly, then I lose some of my interest in him. Not that he can't play 1b in the majors one day, I'm just hoping Votto locks up that spot for the Reds the next 10 years.
8) Joseph: minor league relievers are like the high school tease. Sure you see lots of potential every couple of days, but it takes a long time before you get past the small sample debate and have something to brag about. Donnie could make his debut as early as next year as an injury replacement.
9) Cozart: I've liked this kid since I first saw him play live w/ the Dragons. Seems like the perfect fit for the Reds SS wows. Put him & Janish together and you should have a very solid, not to mention cost effective answer to the SS position for several seasons.
10) Torreyes: Since I expect he'll only play half a season, its kind of hard to get too excited for his 2011 season (same could be said for Arias & Guillon if I the consensus was any of these 3 would start out in Dayton next year), yet how can you not get excited to see how someone with a slash line of amazing/amazing/amazing plays out against older, tougher competition in Billings.

Pony Boy
08-27-2010, 11:52 AM
1. Chapman
2. Mez
3. Alonso
4. Grandal-
5. Yorman
6. Hamilton
7. Sappelt-
8. Cozart
9. Joseph
10. Francisco

Sappelt never gets mentioned, but all he does is hit and play good defense. He could turn into a true leadoff hitter.

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
1. Aroldis Chapman - 100+ mph fastball, filthy slider, two plus pitches + and the potential for another.

2. Devin Mesoraco - 1.007 OPS and 25 HR in 358 atbats between A+, AA, and AAA. Also throwing out over 40% of runners.

3. Yonder Alonso - Got off to a slow start, now OPSing up around 1.000 in his last 200+ atbats.

4. Yorman Rodriguez - Hitting .348 with an .830 OPS in Billings in his age 17 season. Significant upside.

5. Billy Hamilton - Very saw but toolsy SS is hitting .315 with an .816 OPS in Billings. Plus defensive tools at SS. 33 steals in 41 chances.

6. Yasmani Grandal - Solid power, good plate discipline. Polished bat could move quickly.

7. Zack Cozart - Good defensive shortstop with solid power and the ability to steal bases. (16 HR/29 SB this season).

8. Donnie Joseph - Lefty reliver has a ridiculous 1.62 ERA and 23 BB/101 K in 61 innings this season between A, A+, and AA. Could be in the Reds bullpen at some point during the 2011 season.

9. Juan Francisco - Has some of the best raw power in the minor leagues. If he ever improves his plate discipline he'll be a great major league hitter.

10. Ismael Guillon - 18-year-old lefty from Venezuela has a 73 strikeouts in 57 innings with the AZL Reds. Good velocity and a quality changeup.

Junior Arias narrowly missed my top 10.

bubbachunk
08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Mine is quite a bit different from those posted so far. My top 5 is Chapman, Mesoraco, Alonso and Hamilton/Rodriguez (not sure just yet on where I am leaning on this one).

I totally forgot about Hamilton, he would probably be in my top 5.

cinreds21
08-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Dang, I totally forgot about Sapp. He'd be in my top ten for sure.

Kc61
08-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I see Chapman as number one.

I see Mesoraco and Hamilton as the next two because they play premium positions and have done well.

I see Francisco and Alonso as 4-5. Both have weaknesses but significant positives and are on the cusp of the major leagues.

I'd go with Yorman Rodriguez as 6. Big upside, but still a long way to go. Plate discipline issues.

Todd Frazier at seven. Yasmani Grandal at 8. Cozart at 9. Joseph at 10.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2010, 01:46 PM
I see Francisco and Alonso as 4-5. Both have weaknesses but significant positives and are on the cusp of the major leagues.
What's Yonder Alonso's weakness?

Kc61
08-27-2010, 06:01 PM
What's Yonder Alonso's weakness?

Only plays one position.

Not fast.

For a first baseman, not a big power guy.

By reputation, has trouble with lefties, although I haven't checked of late.

Stengths are all around hitting ability and plate discipline. Probably a decent first baseman defensively from what I've heard.

I think he's a top five player in the Reds' system. That's not bad at all.

lidspinner
08-27-2010, 07:43 PM
id have to really take some time and think this over...and with the Reds getting ready to start I will edit this later....but any list without junior arias, billy hamilton and dave sappelt on it needs to be re-done....just my opinion but I will edit later.

Boss
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
1. Chapman: Must I explain?
2. Mesoraco: 2 grand slams in his first week of AAA, and have you seen his stats?
3. Hamilton: I put him as #3 because the Reds need a leadoff hitter, and he fits that rile perfectly.
4. Valaika: Did you guys forget about him? .300+ average in AAA, good stats in the majors so far, solid defensively, what's not to like?
5. Alonso: Good average hitter, apparently good power, but that didn't show in AAA. We don't need him though, so I say trade him and a pitcher for a left fielder or a shortstop.

Not sure about the order of the next 5, but Grandal, Frazier, Cozart, Sappelt, and Fransisco.

bubbachunk
01-31-2011, 02:01 PM
1. Chapman: Must I explain?
2. Mesoraco: 2 grand slams in his first week of AAA, and have you seen his stats?
3. Hamilton: I put him as #3 because the Reds need a leadoff hitter, and he fits that rile perfectly.
4. Valaika: Did you guys forget about him? .300+ average in AAA, good stats in the majors so far, solid defensively, what's not to like?
5. Alonso: Good average hitter, apparently good power, but that didn't show in AAA. We don't need him though, so I say trade him and a pitcher for a left fielder or a shortstop.

Not sure about the order of the next 5, but Grandal, Frazier, Cozart, Sappelt, and Fransisco.

Prospect rankings are not based on major league team need. Drafting should not be either because it is too volatile.

Caveat Emperor
01-31-2011, 05:01 PM
1. Mez - Middle of the order bat, defense to stick at catcher. Easy call.
2. Grandal - Switch hitting, high upside if he can stay behind the plate, decent upside if he goes to first.
3. Alonso - As I predicted when he was drafted, inability to play other positions a check on his value. Major league ready right now, IMO.
4. Hamilton - Slick fielding speedster will need to prove he has the arm to stick at SS and the bat/OB-skills to make his base-stealing a weapon.
5. Y-Rod - Interchangable with Hamilton here. Young, raw, and full of potential upside and potential pitfalls as he grows up. Tremendous talent displayed as a very young 17 y/o in rookie ball.
6. Chapman - Electric fastball, but value marginalized in current deployment. Could be the best bullpen guy ever, but ability to impact games severely limited in that role.
7. Frazier - Call me crazy, but I think they jerked this guy around too much defensively and it adversely impacted his bat. I still believe, though.
8. Cozart - Could be a solid big-league contributor if the Reds decide to move on from Brandon Phillips and his contract in 2012.
9. Joseph - High-K impact LHP out of the pen. See, you can find them without converting starters.
10. Guillon - Intriguing young pitcher, still too far off to project.

Mario-Rijo
01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
#1 - Chapman - There is still hope that things change when the Reds realize Homer isn't what they hoped he'd be.

#2 - Mes - It's all been said. Big bat + Good glove, IMO #1 actual catcher in the minors.

#3 - Alonso - His bat could still be special and if it is his defense will eventually be good enough. He may not be a future Red but that doesn't take away from his prospect status.

#4 - Hamilton - I wouldn't hate on someone who put Yorman here instead, I could see the reasoning. But I am a sucker for potentially elite defensive SS's who can also be dynamic offensively.

#5 - Yorman - Take everything I just said about Hamilton and apply it to CF.

#6 - Cozart - Again I love the SS position and Cozart though not special could be very good.

#7 - Frazier - Still a fan of Todd, but his armbar could potentially present some problems for him. I still think he is the teams answer at the hot corner for quite some time.

#8 - Joseph - A nasty, nasty slider and enough heat to be a legit back of the pen arm. Just a little polishing to do so he could come quick.

#9 - Grandal - Could move up this list quick but it's too soon to tell right now.

#10 - Brad Boxberger - This is more a hope than anything else but he is the next best shot at us having a solid starter on the way. And I also still think ones draft position should hold some weight until we know something one way or the other.