PDA

View Full Version : Positional Production Graphic

krm1580
08-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I came across this link which is a couple or weeks old so the data is not quite up to date but I thought it was pretty fascinating. It basically breaks down the offensive production of players by position on a plot chart based on a statistic called Runs Created per Game.

For those unfamiliar with it, RC/G is a sabermetric stat based on a fairly complicated formula that indicates how many runs a team would score if all 9 spots in the batting order were manned by one player. For example Joey Votto is a 9.8 RC/G meaning if you had 9 Joey Vottos in the lineup, you would score on average 9.8 runs in a game.

You can check or uncheck whoever you want to see specifics. The one thing the really jumps out is the gap between Josh Hamilton and all the other outfielders. Its very odd how growing up outfield used to be the most productive offensive players and how it has really shifted bigtime to 1B.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybaseball/story/13786867/by-the-numbers-the-truths-behind-position-scarcity

New York Red
08-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Thank you! :thumbup:

Kingspoint
08-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I check out RC/G all the time.

What's amazing is that the guy's that Dusty usually chooses to put at the top of the order are also usually pretty bad at creating runs in a game. I don't think Dusty thinks much of or knows of this measurement of performance.