PDA

View Full Version : Ted Lilly

Phhhl
08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
If the Rockies put a hurting on LA this weekend and knock them out of the wildcard picture for good, the consensus appears to be that the Dodgers will be open to moving both Manny and Ted Lilly by Tuesday.

The Reds should be all over Lilly. He may be a soft tosser, but those numbers since he has come to the NL do not lie. He is very close to the type of top of the rotation starter this club needs down the stretch and into the playoffs... very similar as a lefty to what Kenny Rogers was to the Tigers a few years ago. I don't believe Lilly has 10/5 rights to reject a trade, so they wouldn't have to worry about that foolishness. The Dodgers are in need of just about everything, but especially a catcher or pitching help. I would hate to give up Meseracco for him, but what about Hannigan? I don't know, but this team is poised to do something special if they can just shore up the rotation a little bit. Very few teams have the organizational depth that the Reds do, so they should be able to make this happen if they are willing to take on a couple million bucks.

I say it's time to do something bold. Hopefully the Rockies put LA to rest and give this possiblity some life.

Tornon
08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't believe Lilly has 10/5 rights to reject a trade, so they wouldn't have to worry about that foolishness.

Lilly can't have 10/5 because he's only been with the Dodgers for a few weeks. I'd be skeptical of Lilly making his home starts in GABP though

reds44
08-27-2010, 04:44 PM
The Reds are considering starting Harang on Tuesday. I'd sign up for Lilly in a heartbeat. This team could definatley use another SP.

Brutus
08-27-2010, 04:45 PM
If the Rockies put a hurting on LA this weekend and knock them out of the wildcard picture for good, the consensus appears to be that the Dodgers will be open to moving both Manny and Ted Lilly by Tuesday.

The Reds should be all over Lilly. He may be a soft tosser, but those numbers since he has come to the NL do not lie. He is very close to the type of top of the rotation starter this club needs down the stretch and into the playoffs... very similar as a lefty to what Kenny Rogers was to the Tigers a few years ago. I don't believe Lilly has 10/5 rights to reject a trade, so they wouldn't have to worry about that foolishness. The Dodgers are in need of just about everything, but especially a catcher or pitching help. I would hate to give up Meseracco for him, but what about Hannigan? I don't know, but this team is poised to do something special if they can just shore up the rotation a little bit. Very few teams have the organizational depth that the Reds do, so they should be able to make this happen if they are willing to take on a couple million bucks.

I say it's time to do something bold. Hopefully the Rockies put LA to rest and give this possiblity some life.

Have they already gotten Lilly passed through waivers?

If not, he would have to be placed on waivers today, so he can be claimed by Tuesday in order to be postseason-eligible. If he were claimed Tuesday, the waiving club would have to immediately waive their rights to revoke the claim, so the claiming club can get him on the roster.

In other words, anyone getting him would be using him strictly for September. Obviously if they've already put him on and he hasn't been claimed, they could trade him to anyone before Tuesday.

I'm personally not sure Lilly is a good idea for Cincinnati. He's an extreme flyball pitcher and he's inconsistent. I'd give up very little for him, most definitely not Hanigan. I think he's a decent pitcher, but just not a fit for what the Reds need.

kaldaniels
08-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Have they already gotten Lilly passed through waivers?

If not, he would have to be placed on waivers today, so he can be claimed by Tuesday in order to be postseason-eligible. If he were claimed Tuesday, the waiving club would have to immediately waive their rights to revoke the claim, so the claiming club can get him on the roster.

In other words, anyone getting him would be using him strictly for September. Obviously if they've already put him on and he hasn't been claimed, they could trade him to anyone before Tuesday.

I'm personally not sure Lilly is a good idea for Cincinnati. He's an extreme flyball pitcher and he's inconsistent. I'd give up very little for him, most definitely not Hanigan. I think he's a decent pitcher, but just not a fit for what the Reds need.

Couldn't he be added to the post-season roster if the Reds play one of their two "60-day DL" cards.

medford
08-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Couldn't he be added to the post-season roster if the Reds play one of their two "60-day DL" cards.

They have to be on the 40 man roster prior to Aug 31st to play that card. So no, they'd have to get him prior to that.

sabometrics
08-27-2010, 04:59 PM
The rotation had been solid for 2 months, they have a few so-so games in Arizona, and one bad series in San Francisco and we're back to wanting Lilly? No thanks. This team will live or die by the pitching we have currently.

Where was it reported that they are considering starting Harang?

nate
08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
The rotation had been solid for 2 months, they have a few so-so games in Arizona, and one bad series in San Francisco and we're back to wanting Lilly? No thanks. This team will live or die by the pitching we have currently.

Where was it reported that they are considering starting Harang?

I don't really want Lilly but I wouldn't say the rotation has been solid. In fact, I'd say the rotation has been average to nearly worst in the league throughout the season with it's resting point decidedly below average.

It is an problem, I'm not sure how they can fix it (although I like Kuroda if they can get him.)

puca
08-27-2010, 05:23 PM
They have to be on the 40 man roster prior to Aug 31st to play that card. So no, they'd have to get him prior to that.

I don't think they have to be on the 40-man roster, but they do have to be in the organization by August 31.

TheNext44
08-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Lily pitched fine in Wrigley. I would expect similar numbers to what he put up this season, if he was a Red.

Brutus
08-27-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't think they have to be on the 40-man roster, but they do have to be in the organization by August 31.

Correct.

SirFelixCat
08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Sign me up as being in favor of getting Lilly if the price was not steep.

RedsMan3203
08-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I'd give up a bag of balls for him, nothing more...

Manny on the other hand.... :)

mth123
08-27-2010, 07:36 PM
The Reds need to add a starter who isn't a question mark. Lilly would qualify. I'm in favor of adding him if possible.

Phhhl
08-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Obviously, the Reds would have to get Hanigan through to do the deal I proposed, so that was kind of absurd. But, I feel like people sell Lilly short. Park factors do mean something for sure. But the guy's numbers are stellar, and have been for some time now. The wind blows out at Wrigley about as much as it doesn't, and when it does it is every bit the hitter's park GABP is. Undoubtedly, he would give up some home runs here, but a lot of solo shots, I think. The Dodgers did put him on waivers today. This rotation would look a lot more formidable in a short series if we could go Arroyo, Lilly, Cueto.

Brutus
08-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Obviously, the Reds would have to get Hanigan through to do the deal I proposed, so that was kind of absurd. But, I feel like people sell Lilly short. Park factors do mean something for sure. But the guy's numbers are stellar, and have been for some time now. The wind blows out at Wrigley about as much as it doesn't, and when it does it is every bit the hitter's park GABP is. Undoubtedly, he would give up some home runs here, but a lot of solo shots, I think. The Dodgers did put him on waivers today. This rotation would look a lot more formidable in a short series if we could go Arroyo, Lilly, Cueto.

I don't think "stellar" is very apt. He's giving up 50% flyballs this year, 1.3 homers per nine innings and striking out a solid, but not spectacular 7 per nine.

Thing is, if you look, even the last two years, at his numbers versus Harang's... they're pretty similar. In fact, one could argue the biggest difference between them is ERA, and considering Harang's BABIP is between 75-100 points worse than Lilly's, a lot of the difference can be found in that.

Is he a good pitcher? I think he is. But not really much better than what the Reds have already, and to the extent that he is, I just don't think he's a good match for this park.

TheNext44
08-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Hanigan is twice as valuable as Lily, IMO. And I like Lily.

Spitball
08-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Hanigan is twice as valuable as Lily, IMO. And I like Lily.

No way would I give up Hanigan for Lilly. No way. I would gladly give up a C+ to B prospect, but not a major component like Hanigan.

Besides, soft tossers don't tend to do particularly well in post season play, and Lilly's ERA is near 7.00 in playoff appearances.

REDREAD
08-27-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm guessing the Cards would claim him.. they need starting pitching more than we do.

Phhhl
08-28-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm guessing the Cards would claim him.. they need starting pitching more than we do.

God forbid they do. It might be the only thing that can save them at this point.