PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with Lincecum?

kaldaniels
08-28-2010, 01:38 PM
5 straight losses. Is it nothing to worry about (for the Giants) or is it something? I'm aware of the decreased velocity on his fastball, but is there more to it than that...how will this story end? Suffice it to say, his mechanics have seemed questionable to me...but I'm no expert. Run with this question however you want it...I'm curious.

PuffyPig
08-28-2010, 01:50 PM
It's been talked about for awhile, his velocity is down into the low 90's.

LoganBuck
08-28-2010, 02:11 PM
The fact that he isn't Drew Stubbs. :lol:

traderumor
08-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Complicated windup and power pitcher smell like injury to me. Time for his first TJ?

VR
08-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Were there juice rumors at one time w/ him?

Tornon
08-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Were there juice rumors at one time w/ him?

No juice, just weed

Az Red
08-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Talking w/ a Giants fan friend, was told how strange it was that Lincecum went from 90+ mph to almost 100. Now suddenly back down...

Friends opinion was Lincecum was getting too full of himself.

Spitball
08-28-2010, 08:24 PM
A lot of people seemed to accept his mechanics, but there have to be some doubts about his future. His delivery is explosive, and that alone has to create some worry.

What really concerns me is the angle of his arm as he launches forward. He holds the ball very high and whips it from an extreme bend in his elbow. His arm is unraveling from the bend while his body is thrusting violently forward.

Because of shoulder and elbow stress, we don't usually see pitchers go as high in the air with their arms as they are about to go forward in their delivery. Of course there are some, but the risk of injury makes that mechanical action a risk.

BCubb2003
08-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Didn't they make commercials about how innovative his delivery is? Something about putting a dollar bill on the ground?

Marc D
08-28-2010, 10:28 PM
These are all nice sounding theories but the simple truth of the matter is I drafted him for my fantasy team. End of story.

Last year I effectively ended the careers of Brandon Webb and Jose Reyes. This year I put the whammy on Linecum and Youkilis.

Next year I hope to get my hands on Carpenter and Pujols.

Spitball
08-28-2010, 10:53 PM
These are all nice sounding theories but the simple truth of the matter is I drafted him for my fantasy team. End of story.

Last year I effectively ended the careers of Brandon Webb and Jose Reyes. This year I put the whammy on Linecum and Youkilis.

Next year I hope to get my hands on Carpenter and Pujols.

:laugh: Excellent...

Didn't they make commercials about how innovative his delivery is? Something about putting a dollar bill on the ground?

There is always a chance for arm injury with pitchers. Lincecum is pretty smooth with his delivery, but he does powerfully thrust forward with his arm angled in an L position. That is not ideal for avoiding shoulder and elbow injury.

Twenty years ago, we used to preach, "Pass the thigh, high to the sky, and let it fly." Now we know that the "high to the sky" part puts too much stress on the shoulder and elbow. Most coaches advocate less angle as the arm goes back.

redsfandan
08-29-2010, 01:05 PM
He's human.

I've read that he needs to take conditioning a little more seriously. Especially his lower body. Can't go on talent alone forever.

edabbs44
08-29-2010, 01:11 PM
He's human.

I've read that he needs to take conditioning a little more seriously. Especially his lower body. Can't go on talent alone forever.

Kind of agree, everything is conjecture at this point. Maybe injury, maybe is immaturity/conditioning, maybe its something else.

Tony Cloninger
08-29-2010, 01:42 PM
It's the hair. Too much hair. Very mullet like ...too straight. Needs to cut it, layer it.

redsfandan
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM
It's the hair. Too much hair. Very mullet like ...too straight. Needs to cut it, layer it.
Give him a perm. That'll make all the difference. lol :p:

BoydsOfSummer
08-29-2010, 02:02 PM
He's been ridden like a stolen pony as a young guy as well, that can't help.