View Full Version : Espn says Volquez to Bullpen

JaxRed
08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5507099

Did we know this?

Homer Bailey
08-28-2010, 06:24 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

The Reds will send the struggling Volquez to the bullpen to work on mechanical issues, and Travis Wood will move up a day to start Sunday.

Screwball
08-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Needed to be done. I'll be interested to see how hard he can throw when going just an inning at a time.

Chip R
08-28-2010, 06:38 PM
What do people think about having Edinson pitch some winter ball? I think he needs some reps but he's not going to get that here while he's so wild and the Reds are in a pennant race. The downside to that is he may get fatigued down the stretch next year.

RedsMan3203
08-28-2010, 06:47 PM
What do people think about having Edinson pitch some winter ball? I think he needs some reps but he's not going to get that here while he's so wild and the Reds are in a pennant race. The downside to that is he may get fatigued down the stretch next year.

He needs something to redfine his delivery and get a consistent throwing motion.

Next step might be a DL stint for Volkie...

At some point he needs to go somewhere to work on throwing his FB for a strike.

REDblooded
08-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Every time somebody gets frustrated by Volquez in his first season back from TJ surgery, just click on Liriano's player page on yahoo/espn/cbs/fox/whatever, and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Captain Hook
08-28-2010, 06:49 PM
EV to the BP and Leake on the DL.Does this mean that Harang is our 5th starter for the rest of year?

RedsMan3203
08-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Walt just confirmed on Reds Live that Volkie is heading to the pen to work on his mechanics

RED VAN HOT
08-28-2010, 07:11 PM
This, coupled with the return of Harang seems logical to me. It keeps both players eligible for the post season. I expect Volquez will get another chance to start and Harang will get a shot at the pen before the season ends. If either pitches well as a starter, then he might get a shot in the post season. Otherwise, both could be in the pen. The move keeps a lot of options open.

fearofpopvol1
08-28-2010, 08:34 PM
It's the right move...I'm pleased with it.

membengal
08-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Every time somebody gets frustrated by Volquez in his first season back from TJ surgery, just click on Liriano's player page on yahoo/espn/cbs/fox/whatever, and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Indeed.

Orenda
08-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Liriano has shown better control than Edison Volquez over their ML careers.

EV's career bb/9 - 4.8

FL's career bb/9 -3.3

I don't know if EV is still coming back from his surgery or not, but right now he is getting behind in counts and putting too many men on base via bb's.

REDblooded
08-28-2010, 11:05 PM

EV's career bb/9 - 4.8

FL's career bb/9 -3.3

I don't know if EV is still coming back from his surgery or not, but right now he is getting behind in counts and putting too many men on base via bb's.

Liriano also had a 1.56 WHIP and a 5.80 ERA in his first season returning from TJ surgery...

You can dig up career stats all you want, but when the circumstances aren't dictating that we include pre-TJ numbers, they're pretty worthless..

Orenda
08-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Liriano also had a 1.56 WHIP and a 5.80 ERA in his first season returning from TJ surgery...

You can dig up career stats all you want, but when the circumstances aren't dictating that we include pre-TJ numbers, they're pretty worthless..

Fair enough, but how does comparing EV to Francisco Liriano hold any value? There have been guys who have not been as good post TJ surgery, just because Liriano made it back does not guarantee EV will do anything.

My point should have been that Edinson needs to have better command, in his short post tommy john sample he is walking 6.9 batters per 9 innings. Liriano hasn't shown the command issues Volquez is having right now.

RedLegSuperStar
08-29-2010, 12:33 AM
How long does this last.. When the Christmas tree gets lit up on Tuesday I think he'll be back in there

marcshoe
08-29-2010, 01:41 AM
Gotta say that I didn't have any expectations for Volquez this year because of the surgery. It's still too soon to expect him to pitch like he did before.

Also, from Walt's comments, he seemed unsure about how soon Harang would be back, so what's the immediate plan for replacing Edinson in the rotation? I hope it's not Lecure.

Jpup
08-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Gotta say that I didn't have any expectations for Volquez this year because of the surgery. It's still too soon to expect him to pitch like he did before.

Also, from Walt's comments, he seemed unsure about how soon Harang would be back, so what's the immediate plan for replacing Edinson in the rotation? I hope it's not Lecure.

Maloney?

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2010, 09:37 AM

EV's career bb/9 - 4.8

FL's career bb/9 -3.3

And yet the braintrust think putting a gas can in the pen is gonna help how? Here let's let him have a hand in the outcome of more games, how that is considered wise I have no idea.

Not directing this at you just using your point as a springboard.

membengal
08-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Well, Mario, I am pretty sure the Reds won't be using him in high leverage situations, so I am not going to sweat it.

I don't think they should keep running him out there to ruin games from the outset with his command as iffy as it is now, so the pen is a good place to stick him, especially with expanded rosters, and do some extra neeeded work on location and command in bullpen sessions for the time being.

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Why not? LeCure has had some decent results when he started, he at least has kept the team in games.

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Well, Mario, I am pretty sure the Reds won't be using him in high leverage situations, so I am not going to sweat it.

I don't think they should keep running him out there to ruin games from the outset with his command as iffy as it is now, so the pen is a good place to stick him, especially with expanded rosters, and do some extra neeeded work on location and command in bullpen sessions for the time being.

I suppose if they only use him in mop up duty it's fine, just don't expect to see him much.

Orenda
08-29-2010, 09:59 AM
And yet the braintrust think putting a gas can in the pen is gonna help how? Here let's let him have a hand in the outcome of more games, how that is considered wise I have no idea.

Not directing this at you just using your point as a springboard.

It will be interesting to see how they use him. Just to clarify, I'm not ruling out Volquez being effective again down the road, just stating right now his control is still an issue.

On the bright-side he still has the ability to miss bats, so he'll be another guy Dusty could use if the team absolutely needs a strikeout in a certain situation.

membengal
08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
I suppose if they only use him in mop up duty it's fine, just don't expect to see him much.

Well, I am not hoping to see him much.

Then again, I always had him pegged for bullpen/mop-up duty if he got back this year. Command is always the last thing to come following TJ surgery, and this team can't afford to ride out the vagaries of that search for command from EV in a pennant race.

I retain a lot of hope and expectation that he will continue to find command through the off-season and be a rock in the rotation next year, a year and a half removed from the surgery.

marcshoe
08-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Why not? LeCure has had some decent results when he started, he at least has kept the team in games.

His first three games were fine, but in his last three starts before being sent down he game up 12 runs, 20 hits, and 8 walks in 16 innings (6.74 ERA, 1.75 WHIP if my math's right). Not a good sign.

mth123
08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
His first three games were fine, but in his last three starts before being sent down he game up 12 runs, 20 hits, and 8 walks in 16 innings (6.74 ERA, 1.75 WHIP if my math's right). Not a good sign.

Attrition is/was predictable. I have little faith that Harang will do well. The Reds are at least one starter short and that assumes Wood and Cueto can continue to succeed as the innings pile-up and that Bailey comes through.

I still hope for a solid established acquisition. Ted Lilly or Hiroki Kuroda please.

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2010, 04:44 PM

Don't know if it was Brantley or Day who said it but one of them said they wouldn't actually expect him to pitch at all down there, just going down there to work things out. Believe it was Brantley.

fearofpopvol1
08-29-2010, 04:55 PM
I think LeCure as a reliever/long man could be useful. He does throw strikes and while his stuff isn't that good, in limited doses I think he would be fine.