PDA

View Full Version : Wear and tear on Chapman's arm

SidneySlicker
08-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd love to see this kid as a starter like most everyone else, but the problem is for me I fear the wear and tear on his arm. I don't care how "effortless" some say his delivery is, the torque and pressure forced onto an arm to get that sort of velocity is great. I'm not a pitching expert so I don't know how innings as a reliever vrs innings as a starter wear on an arm. Let me state though this has nothing to do with a fear of Dusty ruining him, just that it seems like someone throwing that hard that an injury is inevitable.

mlh1981
08-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Anytime you perform a motion that is unnatural like pitching is, there is always a chance of something going wrong.

Fortunately for Chapman, he has gotten plenty of time to work on things in a less pressurized environment. Not only that, but he's gotten a chance to grow up, on and off the field.

The situation is unfolding perfectly. I'm not more worried about him than I am about anyone trying to throw a Major League pitch with all the torque/movement involved.

Quatitos
08-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I am not too personally worried about Chapman getting hurt. Over his career Randy Johnson (comparable based on size and velocity) I believe did not suffer any sever arm injuries from the act of pitching. I think he struggled with back injuries more than anything else.

It would be nice if there was a comparison between Chapman's delivery and Johnson's to see if their mechanics are similar and if so that could positively show that he is not at an elevated risk of hurting himself (there is always a risk with pitching).

Also, with Strasburg getting hurt, there was a lot of talk about the inverted W and its correlation to elbow/shoulder injuries in pitchers. Does anyone know if Chapman does the same thing?

Girevik
08-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Also, with Strasburg getting hurt, there was a lot of talk about the inverted W and its correlation to elbow/shoulder injuries in pitchers.

Inverted W? Isn't that just an M?

sivman17
08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Here's a pretty interesting article talking about the "Inverted W" and how it can lead to arm troubles. To sum it up, basically he is arguing that guys like Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, Tom Seaver, Roger Clemens, and Nolan Ryan did not employ this technique and they all had long, successful, relatively injury-free careers. Of course his big example of a guy using that technique is Mark Prior.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Essays/DeathToTheInvertedW.html

ThornWithin81
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm not worried about Chapman's arm. I think there has been a serious uninformed overreaction ever since it was announced that Strasburg will need TJ surgery.

1) Chapman's mechanics are far smoother than Strasburg's.
2) To my knowledge, Chapman does not use the Inverted W.
3) There's a lot less pressure on Chapman. We have a winning team - Chapman is icing on an already delicious cake. Strasburg was a beacon of light on a roster of expletive deleted. He was throwing as hard as he could to live up to his hype and to give Nationals fans something to cheer about.

Chapman is a completely different animal. Pitchers get hurt regardless, but I'm not going to sit here and worry about the kid because his reckless peer blew his arm out.

GIDP
08-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Chapman definitely doesnt use the inverted W.