PDA

View Full Version : Just how good are our Reds and how long will it last?

Captain Hook
08-29-2010, 09:44 PM
A few years ago a lot of people were saying that the Reds were going to be the next Tampa Bay and now a few years later it's looking like those people were right.At least for now.Like the Rays of 08, the Reds certainly have a good group of young,talented baseball players with tons of potential that are, for their age, preforming well this year.Things could get even better in the future as it seems the minor league system will continue to develop and turn out productive backups to fill in and possibly even a few more stars for the big league team.The same could've been said about Tampa a few years ago.The 2008 Rays and the 2010 Reds do have a lot in common.

While Tampa did stumble after their breakout season of 08 where they won 97 games, by falling off to a 3rd place finish winning only 84 games in 08, they are back at it in 2010 and are likely to be playing in October despite belonging to what is by far the toughest division in baseball.While Tampa has signed a few vets they are still doing it with their youth.Some of their young stars have faded or were shipped out,like starting pitcher Scott Kazmir who has struggled with the Angles this year and fellow 08 All Star Dionar Navarro who's barley played for the Rays this year, other have filled and and taken over to keep the ball rolling.

I'd like to hear who people here think will keep the ball rolling here and who will fade.How long will things continue to keep rolling in Cincinnati?I sure hope that this franchises window of success isn't like the window the Brewers had.One good year making the playoffs and few decent years of respectability.That's not even close to being good enough.My hope is that the Reds will be even more successful then the Rays have been.Years of making Sir Albert miserable in St. Louis and dominating the Central is my prediction.Go Reds!!!

The Voice of IH
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
I agree, I think the Reds have set up their roster to be competitive for the next 5 or 6 years at least. The young talent on this club is spectaclar.

Pitching
Starters:
Johnny Cueto
Edison Volquez
Mike Leake
Travis Wood
Homer Bailey
Aroldis Chapman

Relief:
Logan Ondresuk (sry)
Jordan Smith
Nick Masset
Carlos Fischer
Bill Bray
Del Norisa (Sry)
Sam Lecure (????)
Matt Maloney (????)

TALK ABOUT YOUNG TALENT :eek:

Then you factor in our position players

1B-Joey Votto/Yonder Alonso
2B- Brandon Philips/Chris V.
SS- Paul Jainish
3B- Fransisco (and if Rolen wants to be like Brett Farve :p:)
OF- Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Balentein (sry) and maybe Alonso if you want to play that game.
C- Hanigan, Mesroca, Grandel , Hernandez (maybe)

I don't understand how this team can not be competitive for years to come

The Operator
08-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I hope that by the end of Walt's tenure we'll all look back and have a good laugh about the lost decade. Things will go pretty well if that's to happen. :)