PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone catch Aramis Ramirez's comment today?

RedsFanInBama
08-30-2010, 01:05 AM
What did you think of it? He was singing Dusty's praises:

"Dusty is a winner wherever he goes. He went to a World Series in San Francisco. He went to the playoffs (with the Cubs) and I think he's going to the playoffs this year with Cincinnati. And they don't have that good of a ballclub. They've got a decent ballclub, but he's getting the most out of everybody."

I don't know if he was trying to insult the players on our squad or not, but he definitely did. Not that it really matters, but I found it an interesting comment.

HalMorrisRules
08-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Brave of him to say that now that the season series between the two teams has concluded.

RedsFanInBama
08-30-2010, 01:11 AM
I think Aramis might equate good with high paid or well-known.

sivman17
08-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Yeah I saw that too and almost made a thread about it. Such an asinine, backhanded, and simply untrue comment. If the Reds aren't a good team, then how come we've beat them 11 out of 15 times this year? He cannot actually believe that Dusty is the sole reason we've wiped the floor with them this year and that we're 20 games over .500.

GIDP
08-30-2010, 01:15 AM
I dont want to make an excuse for him but maybe there is a bit of broken translation? Anyone know how good his english honestly is?

RedsFanInBama
08-30-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't think any manager in the game is good enough to lead a "decent" team to 20 games over .500. That's not a knock on Dusty. The biggest part of this game at the ML level is talent. The next biggest part is player and clubhouse management. I'd put in-game management as the third-most important aspect of a big league manager's job (I might even put it forth behind teaching - although that varies depending on the team).

texasdave
08-30-2010, 01:25 AM
This team started winning almost immediately after Scott Rolen started playing regularly and haven't looked back since. Coincidence? Maybe.

BAKER12
08-30-2010, 01:25 AM
I do not think Aramis was trying to be critical of the Reds team. I believe (like a lot of other people) he was praising Dusty. Aramis had some real productive seasons under Dusty.

RedsFanInBama
08-30-2010, 01:26 AM
I do not think Aramis was trying to be critical of the Reds team.
I don't know that he was, but he obviously doesn't think much of the 25 guys we run out there.

texasdave
08-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Someone in Chicago didn't like playing for Dusty. They got progressively worse under Baker. The last season they only won 60-something games and finished dead last. Lou came in and the result was division titles the first two years. Just sayin'.

RedsFanInBama
08-30-2010, 01:28 AM
This team started winning almost immediately after Scott Rolen started playing regularly and haven't looked back since. Coincidence? Maybe.
Probably not. The guy is the consummate pro and because of his success and the way he plays the game, he commanded respect from the day he walked into the Reds locker room. I think the way he approaches the game and his professionalism has probably rubbed off on all of his teammates.

texasdave
08-30-2010, 01:41 AM
My thinking is that if they stick a microphone in your face a couple hundred times a year, then yes, something might not come out exactly as you planned. I don't consider it a knock.

likemenow
08-30-2010, 02:03 AM
i dont see this as a knock at all just a complementary shout out to his old ball coach

couch_manager
08-30-2010, 02:34 AM
It's a knock and it's coming from a very confused ballplayer. I don't no what effect Dusty has on team chemistry. But I do know that Dusty isn't the one out there playing the game. Maybe he thinks the manager has more to do with winning games than the players do and is making an excuse as to why the Cubs haven't won this year.

RedsFanInBama
08-30-2010, 04:16 AM
I do know that Dusty isn't the one out there playing the game. Maybe he thinks the manager has more to do with winning games than the players do...
The same could be said for the Dusty haters within the Reds fanbase, couldn't it?

CrosleyField
08-30-2010, 08:38 AM

The Cookie Monster would have been an improvement over Edwin Encarcion. But yes Rolen was a great up grade.

Captain13
08-30-2010, 08:38 AM

I think it is NOT a coincidence. Solid glove, consistent bat, clubhouse leader. Scott Rolen is a godsend. :)

Red Forman
08-30-2010, 08:49 AM

RFIB,

Amen, Bro!:thumbup:

I firmly believe that ar is quite jealous of

the Reds 2010 success

& cubs outright suck-ness!!!:p::bowrofl:

Hey Meat
08-30-2010, 10:20 AM
That is exactly why I don't feel sorry for the Cubs. I love Lou, but the Cubs will always be the Cubs. What a coward Aramis is to say something like that when the season series is done. He has had a terrible year, I guess he needed to take out his frustrations on a team that has owned him this year.

Rockermann
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Might have been Ramirez's way of countering Votto's comments earlier this year about hating the Cubs.

gmt
08-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I see it as a cautious complement. Until the young Reds team finishes the job this year and comes back next year with similar results, many could view this season as a flash in the pan. The proof come on the field. Just because the Reds beat up on the Cubs does not crown them the Kings of the National League. Good this year, yes. Funny things happen to teams that are dubbed a sure thing (see the Cardinals...)

New York Red
08-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Not much of an insult really. To be truthful, the Reds are better as a unit than they are individually (aside from Joey Votto), so I can understand why other teams might look at our roster and think we can't be that good. At first glance we don't look like a team that's 20 games over .500 and the hottest team in all of baseball since the break. But that's exactly what we are and Dusty Baker deserves some credit. I don't even like DB, but I'll give him his due this year. I think the comments by Ramirez were partly sour grapes because the Reds spanked the Cubs this year, and partly out of respect for a former manager. No big deal, IMO.

Krawhitham
08-30-2010, 01:26 PM

This

Hey Meat
08-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Sad to say that his(Aramis) poor performance this year probably led to the demise of Sweet Lou as the Cubs skipper.

RedsFanInBama
08-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't think the comments are much of an insult on April 1 looking at the Reds roster. But on August 30, when you've dropped 12 of 16 to the team, to say "they aren't even that good of a ballclub" seems like a clear insult.

Stray
08-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Well we're 20 games over .500, finished the series with Chicago at 12-4, and have a 5 game lead in the division. If that isn't 'that' good of a team, then I'm not sure what his definition would be.

It probably was meant to be more of a compliment to Dusty than anything, since I believe those two are close enough that I wouldn't think he'd try to take a shot at Dusty's ballclub. It just came off that way, but oh well. Never liked the Cubs, and hearing he said that doesn't change anything

athinnes
08-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Not much of an insult really.

Saying the divisional leading team is "not that good" is definitely an insult.

New York Red
08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Saying the divisional leading team is "not that good" is definitely an insult.
It depends on how he meant it. If he meant it as in "the Reds are not a good team", then yes, it's definitely an insult. If he meant it as, "they don't look like a team that would be 20 games over .500 and leading the division", then I don't take it as an insult. I took it as him saying they just don't pass the eye test. Maybe I'm wrong.

Natty Redlocks
08-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Someone in Chicago didn't like playing for Dusty. They got progressively worse under Baker. The last season they only won 60-something games and finished dead last. Lou came in and the result was division titles the first two years. Just sayin'.

To be fair, they spent, like, 300 mil on free agents right after Dusty left. Just sayin'.

I agree with the dude who said Ramirez probably just hasn't heard of most of the Reds players. By that logic, the Cubs and Mets should be dominating the NL every year.

Vottomatic
08-30-2010, 03:12 PM
In other words, "we (the Cubs) must really suck because the Reds aren't that good".

gmt
08-30-2010, 03:54 PM
In other words, "we (the Cubs) must really suck because the Reds aren't that good".

I bet Ramirez probably thinks that exact thing (to himself).

Looking at the Reds vs other "good" teams, I would rather have a team of average to good players who win games than a team of superstars who don't know how.

Jack Burton
08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Lol. This guy came crashing back to earth after he stopped juicing, he's just upset.

mlh1981
08-30-2010, 05:22 PM
One of the worst trades the Pirates ever made.

bagz
08-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Ramirez needs to give credit where credit is due and not be jealous of the current division leader. He should also look inward at himself and his teamates and wonder why their season was not successful and not make silly comments.

AintlifeGrande
08-30-2010, 08:48 PM
The quote I read he said the Reds were not a good team.