PDA

View Full Version : question about 40 man roster

R_Webb18
08-30-2010, 12:08 AM
when they expand roaster on sept 1st to 40 does that mean every extra player that was not already called up can't be part of playoffs. heres what im talkin about.

"But joining the team before September 1st would make him playoff eligible."

sivman17
08-30-2010, 12:17 AM
when they expand roaster on sept 1st to 40 does that mean every extra player that was not already called up can't be part of playoffs. heres what im talkin about.

This is my understanding of it, and I'm not entirely sure if this is correct or not, but at least what I think.. Anyone that is on the 40 man roster by September 1st is eligible for the playoffs. The playoff roster is only 25 men, and so once the playoffs start 15 of players on the 40-man will not be able to participate, unless there's an injury.

But I think you are correct. If the guy isn't called up by September 1, he cannot participate in the playoffs no matter what happens in terms of injuries.

knoonan991
08-30-2010, 12:18 AM

That is correct, unless there is someone who is on the 60-Day DL, but on the MLB roster (Lincoln, Arredondo), in that case there is an exception that a replacement player can be added. For the Reds, it would give them a choice of two pitchers who are on the 40 man but not on the 25 by Sept. 1st to be eligible for the playoffs. This is why Chapman can still be eligible even if he doesn't come up till Sept. 1st.

Hopefully I explained that correctly.

R_Webb18
08-30-2010, 12:27 AM
yes now i get it. thanks

sivman17
08-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Actually I have a question about it.. Chapman has been on the 40-man roster all season. He has to be called up before Sept 1 to be eligible for the playoffs. If a guy had been in the majors earlier this season but was sent down to AAA, would he still be eligible for the playoffs?

Like, if they send Francisco and/or LeCure down to bring up Chapman and Harang, are Francisco and LeCure eligible for the postseason since they had been called up before Sept 1? They don't have to be on the 25 man roster on Sept 1 to be on the playoff roster, do they?

texasdave
08-30-2010, 12:52 AM
http://www.detroittigersweblog.com/2006/08/playoff-roster-eligibility-explained-maybe-sort-of/

sivman17
08-30-2010, 09:59 AM
So since the Reds are bringing Harang up on Aug 31, they have to send someone down, which makes that player ineligible for the playoffs, correct? Shouldn't they wait till after Aug 31 to bring him back so they don't have to make a decision on sending someone down that makes them ineligible?

Another question: if he comes back and he's terrible, can they just put him on the DL in September and then bring someone else up on the 40-man, and then that person is eligible for the playoffs?