PDA

View Full Version : September player moves

Kc61
08-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't think the Reds will bring up a lot of guys on September 1. The AAA season continues and I don't think the Reds will destroy the Bats just to have more guys sitting on the Reds' bench.

My guess is Chapman comes up on the 1st. I also think the Reds will send Francisco down for Harang on the 31st - then Francisco will be restored to the major league roster the next day as some bench insurance. Jordan Smith could come back on the first, although maybe later in September.

Later in September, as the Bats season draws to an end, I'd expect more guys to come up. Maloney and Fisher are two who should come back. Alonso is a possibility, he's on the forty man roster.

The only real question I have is about Corky Miller. He's not on the 40, but should be with the Reds in September. Would require another roster move.

Hap
08-30-2010, 09:49 AM
The only real question I have is about Corky Miller. He's not on the 40, but should be with the Reds in September. Would require another roster move.

Jared Burton could be DFA'd. He is on the 40-man and has been effective in AAA when healthy, but has battled injuries most of the season.

Hoosier Red
08-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Jared Burton could be DFA'd. He is on the 40-man and has been effective in AAA when healthy, but has battled injuries most of the season.
Could they put him on the 60 day DL? That would probably give him some service time, but if he's going to possibly be cut next spring anyway that's not necessarily a problem.

Brutus
08-30-2010, 09:57 AM

I believe if he's transferred to the 60-day DL in the minors, he does not count against the 40-man. Isn't he out for a while anyhow?

medford
08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Can't Russ Springer go on the 60 day DL since he's done for the year?

I hope they bring up every player on the 40 man roster that they think has a reasonable chance to help them right now.

to me, that means if OCab is ready to come off the DL in a few days, keep Valikia up here thru the rest of the season (or bring up Todd Frazier or Zach Cozart if either on the 40 man for more infield depth). Yonder, come on up to spell Votto for a day or 2 (or stay in AAA if they're going to keep playing him at AAA, I'd be fine w/ that.) Fransisco stays up, Jordan Smith & Carlos Fisher come back up, I find some way to get Corky up here as an emergency catcher.

If the Reds weren't in contention, then I'd be for trying to get that team, which has been on fire for a long time trying to take home their AAA title, but w/ the way things are up here, I'm more interested in the Reds making the postseason, even if those guys are only getting a spot start, or short stint out of the pen.

OnBaseMachine
08-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I would bring up the following players:

Aroldis Chapman, Yonder Alonso, Juan Francisco (already here, but may go down before then), Carlos Fisher, Jordan Smith, Matt Maloney, Wladimir Balentien.

Homer Bailey
08-30-2010, 11:45 AM
What about Frazier? Isn't he on the 40 man?

OnBaseMachine
08-30-2010, 11:48 AM
What about Frazier? Isn't he on the 40 man?

He's not on the 40 man roster yet.

UKFlounder
08-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd like not to strip Louisville of too much because they're in a playoff race, and in most Reds seasons, I would go with that approach, but, right now the Reds' own chase for the playoffs takes precdence over the AAA's teams playoff run.

It's a tough balancing act - you want to let Louisville remain competitive, but the big league club has to be the main priority and if that means recalling several key players, so be it.

HokieRed
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Chapman and Alonso ASAP, some of the others to follow.

RedsMan3203
08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Bring all the kids up... Let them sit the bench and watch....

VR
08-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Mesaraco

reds44
08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Bring up anybody and everybody who can help the team. Don't care about the Bats playoff chase, at all.

Homer Bailey
08-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Bring up anybody and everybody who can help the team. Don't care about the Bats playoff chase, at all.

Not. One. Bit.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2844030417_d30c415f5b.jpg

LoganBuck
08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Aug 31 or Sept 1
Aroldis Chapman
Corky Miller
Aaron Harang

When ever Louisville is done
Alonso
Francisco
Maloney

Chip R
08-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Can't Russ Springer go on the 60 day DL since he's done for the year?

I believe he's already on the 60 day DL.

blumj
08-30-2010, 02:31 PM
I believe he's already on the 60 day DL.
He's still listed as on the 15 day DL on the roster here.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

BearcatShane
08-30-2010, 04:51 PM
I really don't like how the Reds are straying away from there plan to bring up Chapman on September 1st. I just hope this early call up doesn't set back his career..

Cedric
08-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I really don't like how the Reds are straying away from there plan to bring up Chapman on September 1st. I just hope this early call up doesn't set back his career..

You do realize he isn't coming up probably until Wed right?

BearcatShane
08-30-2010, 04:56 PM
You do realize he isn't coming up probably until Wed right?

Oh wow. Nevermind. I thought I saw a report where John Fay said he was coming up Tuesday? He'll be fine then.

BearcatShane
08-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Here is the article I was referring too:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38918445/ns/sports-player_news/

Cedric
08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Here is the article I was referring too:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38918445/ns/sports-player_news/

Either way it's one day. Not trying to be mean. How does one day hurt someone's career?

Kc61
08-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Maybe the Reds go with a short bullpen (without a long man) for a day. Send down Lecure and Volquez for one day, tomorrow the 31st. Bring up Harang and Chapman.

Then bring Lecure and V back on 9/1 when rosters expand. Also bring back OC on 9/1 when rosters expand.

This helps keep Francisco and Valaika on the post-season roster.

Intrigued by how they'll do this.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Maybe the Reds go with a short bullpen (without a long man) for a day. Send down Lecure and Volquez for one day, tomorrow the 31st. Bring up Harang and Chapman.

Then bring Lecure and V back on 9/1 when rosters expand. Also bring back OC on 9/1 when rosters expand.

Remember in the postseason, teams usually go with a 3-man rotation... so you can go with 11 pitchers and still have 8 relief pitchers.

Because of this, teams often go short one pitcher in favor of a hitter for August 31. I think that's the Reds' thinking here.

sabometrics
08-31-2010, 12:31 AM

Does Volquez even have options? Does the 10-day rule go out the window in September? I doubt they can send them down and bring them up a day later.

reds44
08-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Aug 31 or Sept 1
Aroldis Chapman
Corky Miller
Aaron Harang

When ever Louisville is done
Alonso
Francisco
Maloney
Francisco is already up here. I could see them leaving Alonso down there, but I'd like for him to be up here as a lefty off the bench, especially with Nix hurt. We saw how big Francisco came off the bench. I think Smith will be back up too.

Corky isn't on the 40 man roster, so they'd have to make room for him. Not sure if they'll do that. I think you'll see OC activated very shortly after September 1st as well.

I expect LeCure to go down tomorrow, but I honestly have no idea who else is going to go down. Volquez would make sense, but I don't know if they'd want to burn an option year on him.

Btw, you may see some funky options tomorrow. I bet whoever the Reds send down, they'll send to whoever seasons ends first so they can get them back up here as soon as possible. You could end up seeing somebody going to Dayton or something.

Does Volquez even have options? Does the 10-day rule go out the window in September? I doubt they can send them down and bring them up a day later.
I'm guessing here, but I have a hard time beleving Krivsky would have dealt Hamilton for a pitcher who was a bit of a project and out of options. I bet he does, but I really doubt the Reds are going to burn an option year on him. Unless he's already been optioned, which I'm not sure about.

And no, the 10 day rule doesn't apply. As soon as the affiliates season ends, they can be called up.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 12:49 AM

I'm pretty sure he has one option left at least. You're correct about the 10-day rule... it's still in affect after September 1, meaning LeCure or Volquez would have to stay down 10 days as long as Louisville is still playing.

reds44
08-31-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm pretty sure he has one option left at least. You're correct about the 10-day rule... it's still in affect after September 1, meaning LeCure would have to stay down 10 days.
Unless they optioned him to somewhere that season ends sooner than 10 days.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Unless they optioned him to somewhere that season ends sooner than 10 days.

Well that's true. I was thinking specifically about Louisville, but you're absolutely correct they can just simply send him somewhere that is wrapping up their season sooner.

Kc61
08-31-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty sure he has one option left at least. You're correct about the 10-day rule... it's still in affect after September 1, meaning LeCure or Volquez would have to stay down 10 days as long as Louisville is still playing.

I'm surprised that the ten-day rule applies after September 1. I thought teams were then free to bring up any minor leaguer on the forty man roster.

This question is important and will impact how the Reds handle the deadline tonight.

Surprised that the rule still applies.

medford
08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Dayton, Lynchburg & Carolina will all miss the playoffs (I belive) and have their season end on September 6th. So whomever they option out, they won't be available until next Tuesday in Colorado. Perhaps 1 start in Dayton to find his control would be good for Volquez, or pehaps Rhodes goes to the DL if they determine that his foot needs rest.

11larkin11
08-31-2010, 09:56 PM
According to Doug's Twitter, Yonder will be up tomorrow, and according to his own personal Twitter (verified), Matt Maloney will be up Friday.

Homer Bailey
08-31-2010, 11:18 PM
ctrent

also, coming up tomorrow for #Reds Carlos Fisher and Corky Miller

Alonso also, obviously

reds44
08-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Reds are going to have to make a 40 man move, because Corky's not on it.

A little surprised Smith isn't coming up, maybe he will Friday. OC is going to be activated Friday as well.

Homer Bailey
08-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Springer moved to the 60 day DL per ctrent.

reds44
08-31-2010, 11:21 PM
That makes sense.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 12:06 AM
From John Fay - Jocketty on adding an outfielder

‘We’re looking into it,’ he said. “But we dont have a lot of roster flexibility.’

Wladimir Balentien or Danny Dorn, two options at Triple-A, would have to be added to the 40-man roster.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/09/01/jocketty-on-adding-an-outfielder/?GID=8MAdYzuUaAyHSKIZ9JlXY7Ip8stsIvDvhey5yHg3IQc%3 D

I think adding another outfielder is a must. The Reds are down to three outfielders, four when Bruce is healthy. They can't afford to run Gomes out there in a close game. I would call up Balentien, he's a solid fielder and has been crushing the ball.

sabometrics
09-02-2010, 12:35 AM
That's not accurate, they have 4 guys who can play OF. Francisco can play LF in a pinch, Gomes can play RF in a pinch. Heisey can play anywhere, and Stubbs will start every day in CF until Bruce is 100%. They aren't in a horrible bind right now even with Bruce hurting, and when Jay gets back there will be no need to shake up the 40-man even more in favor of Balentien.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 12:36 AM
That's not accurate, they have 4 guys who can play OF. Francisco can play LF in a pinch, Gomes can play RF in a pinch. Heisey can play anywhere, and Stubbs will start every day in CF until Bruce is 100%. They aren't in a horrible bind right now even with Bruce hurting, and when Jay gets back there will be no need to shake up the 40-man even more in favor of Balentien.

True, those guys can play the outfield, but I would like to add someone who can contribute defensively too.

mth123
09-02-2010, 03:45 AM
As far as roster flex goes, call-up Burton and put him on the 60 day DL if he is done for the year or just DFA him since he likely is a non-tender. That woud seem to make a spot for Wlad or Dorn.

No real reason to hang on to Herrera at this point either. Can't really see him making the team over the current group and others from the system are coming on to pass him by (Valiquette, Joseph, Horst, Krebs maybe Thurman when he's gets back from TJ). Unless he can be a trade piece that helps bring somebody in as an upgrade, I just don't see much use for Danny Rae and I can't imagine his presence making enough difference in a deal to prevent the team from using his roster spot if its really needed.

Something else that I find a little disturbing is the seeming refusal to even consider Alonso in LF. If he's not an option now when all the LH OF bats have been injured, having gotten time out there in the minor leagues and the current LF is a defensive liability anyway, I just don't see him ever fitting on the roster. I like his bat potential, but he just isn't going to play. Need to deal him in the off-season as a main ingredient for a major return.

mth123
09-02-2010, 03:50 AM
True, those guys can play the outfield, but I would like to add someone who can contribute defensively too.

That isn't really Dorn and despite the rumors to the contrary, Wlad is no great shakes out there either. I'd just as soon give Francisco or Alonso a look in LF against RHP at this point.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 04:05 AM
That isn't really Dorn and despite the rumors to the contrary, Wlad is no great shakes out there either. I'd just as soon give Francisco or Alonso a look in LF against RHP at this point.

I think Balentien is a solid defender, IMO. UZR backs that up too.

mth123
09-02-2010, 04:08 AM
I think Balentien is a solid defender. UZR backs that up too.

He's good enough for LF if Gomes is the standard, but so is Alonso and Francisco and they are ahead in line. Wlad's D is over-rated though. Unless he's improved a lot (possible) he's not plus or even average.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 04:31 AM
He's good enough for LF if Gomes is the standard, but so is Alonso and Francisco and they are ahead in line. Wlad's D is over-rated though. Unless he's improved a lot (possible) he's not plus or even average.

From what I've seen, Wlad is a slightly above average defender.

sabometrics
09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Second round of moves scheduled for today, have we heard any news about who is heading west? There were rumors Cabrera would be ready for this series, Jordan Smith's 10 days are up today, Maloney saw his innings cut back recently so he's likely.

Anyways I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet.

Edit: Nvm, the second I post that, news has surfaced that Cabrera/Smith/Maloney are inbound. See http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85395.

_Sir_Charles_
09-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Regarding Wlad...I thought he was injured?

KronoRed
09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
They just don't want to hear Brantley try and say "Wladimir Balentien"

klw
09-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Regarding Wlad...I thought he was injured?

He just went on the AAA DL per last night's minor league game thread. I assume it is the 7 day DL.