PDA

View Full Version : Tony Larussa feuding with another player

Hoosier Red
08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/top-posts/something-strange-is-going-on-between-tony-la-russa-and-colby-rasmus.php

Colby Rasmus hasn't started a game in two weeks, in part because of a calf injury and in part because of what appears to be an increasingly sour relationship with manager Tony La Russa.

La Russa has said some things negatively comparing Rasmus to Jon Jay and reportedly doesn't like that Rasmus' father gives him hitting coaching. Officially the explanation given for Rasmus being scratched from yesterday's lineup was simply "non-medical reasons," but St. Louis Post Dispatch beat writer Joe Strauss described that as "for the Kool-Aid set" and later wrote that "it's a fair guess either La Russa or Rasmus is gone from St. Louis before the 2011 season."

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 11:58 AM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/top-posts/something-strange-is-going-on-between-tony-la-russa-and-colby-rasmus.php

Colby Rasmus hasn't started a game in two weeks, in part because of a calf injury and in part because of what appears to be an increasingly sour relationship with manager Tony La Russa.

La Russa has said some things negatively comparing Rasmus to Jon Jay and reportedly doesn't like that Rasmus' father gives him hitting coaching. Officially the explanation given for Rasmus being scratched from yesterday's lineup was simply "non-medical reasons," but St. Louis Post Dispatch beat writer Joe Strauss described that as "for the Kool-Aid set" and later wrote that "it's a fair guess either La Russa or Rasmus is gone from St. Louis before the 2011 season."

The solution to this problem is to find a way to get LaRussa signed with Cincinnati and back with Jocketty before Rasmus is traded. History proves that every player that feuds with LaRussa finds himself traded to another team before very long. Most recent example may be Ludwick, if you believe some reports.

Tornon
08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
The solution to this problem is to find a way to get LaRussa signed with Cincinnati and back with Jocketty before Rasmus is traded. History proves that every player that feuds with LaRussa finds himself traded to another team before very long. Most recent example may be Ludwick, if you believe some reports.

What if we don't want LaRussa? Can we just have Rasmus instead?

George Anderson
08-30-2010, 12:02 PM

I don't think Rolen would like to see Tony as Reds manager.

For the life of me I can't figure how LaRussa could not get along with Rolen. IMO Rolen is the perfect player.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think Rolen would like to see Tony as Reds manager.

For the life of me I can't figure how LaRussa could not get along with Rolen. IMO Rolen is the perfect player.

I agree with you as far as being the perfect player. I've always liked Rolen, and he has always been one of the most respected players around. He has had problems with two managers that led to two trades. I don't understand how that even happened. LaRussa and Rolen have supposedly made up. I just hope LaRussa is anywhere except in St. Louis next year. If he is in St. Louis, then I know Rasmus won't be here, and we need him. Tony has too much power and holds grudges too long.

HokieRed
08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Matty,
Your comments make me hope LaRussa stays just where he is now.

westofyou
08-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Sorry, you can have him, he's too much of an enigma to start afresh; especially in Cincinnati.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Matty,
Your comments make me hope LaRussa stays just where he is now.

lol i bet you do. I hope he retires after this season. I've waited years to see how Oquendo would do as a manager in St. Louis.

GoReds
08-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Although it won't happen, would love to see a 3-way trade in which the Reds receive Rasmus. Having an outfield of Rasmus/Stubbs/Bruce for years on end would be intriguing, to say the least.

Griffey012
08-30-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree with you as far as being the perfect player. I've always liked Rolen, and he has always been one of the most respected players around. He has had problems with two managers that led to two trades. I don't understand how that even happened. LaRussa and Rolen have supposedly made up. I just hope LaRussa is anywhere except in St. Louis next year. If he is in St. Louis, then I know Rasmus won't be here, and we need him. Tony has too much power and holds grudges too long.

Rasmus > LaRussa, so I hope TLR stays.

It seems to me LaRussa has lost the team. They have too much talent to be losing to a lot of the teams they are struggling against. Pujols has been somewhat grouchy this year and has had a few spats with LaRussa in the dugout. Apparently LaRussa doesn't like one of the best young OF'ers in the game, which is a bit bizarre. The only time in the last month or so the Cards have shown any fire was because they were called out by an opposing player, if TLR called out the team I don't think the players would even care.

The difference is right now the Reds players will run through a wall for Baker, and the Cards players would like to see TLR run into a wall. At least that's the feeling I get.

Unassisted
08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
I suspect that if LaRussa came to Cincinnati, the timetable for Marty Brennaman's retirement would suddenly be moved up. Oil and water.

Griffey012
08-30-2010, 12:28 PM

He also made some pretty bush league comments about the Nationals rookie Drew Storen last night. Storen threw a pitch behind Holliday in the 9th inning, and after the game, according to ESPN this morning, LaRussa said if the kid is that wild he has no business pitching in the big leagues. Basically the same thing he said about Harang early in the year.

Earth to TLR, you have JEFF SUPPAN making a start for you this week, and you just said Drew Storen has no business being in the bigs?

redsmetz
08-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm enjoying watching the Cardinals implode for reasons that would be inpolitic to say and which would have me thrown off the board. Lets just say, it's a joy to watch Tony self descruct and Pujols can follow right behind him.

And please, Matty, don't wish LaRussa on us.

RedsManRick
08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
While he may not have been tactful, Phillips' comments are looking more and more accurate everyday.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm enjoying watching the Cardinals implode for reasons that would be inpolitic to say and which would have me thrown off the board. Lets just say, it's a joy to watch Tony self descruct and Pujols can follow right behind him.

Ok I won't lol Just hope that Jocketty doesn't want to reunite with his friend. I'd like to see Duncan stay, but if they must be a pair, then I guess they can go as a pair.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 12:46 PM
While he may not have been tactful, Phillips' comments are looking more and more accurate everyday.

Phillips didn't make those comments about LaRussa... he made them against an entire team.

LaRussa has always had his issues...that part is nothing new.

Roy Tucker
08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I could have seen LaRussa coming to the Reds before this year's success.

But now, no way in the slightest. Zero, zip, nil, nada.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
I wonder what the chances are that The Cardinals fir LaRussa before the end of the season.

Chip R
08-30-2010, 01:00 PM
I could have seen LaRussa coming to the Reds before this year's success.

But now, no way in the slightest. Zero, zip, nil, nada.

I don't know. If Leo Durocher could go from Brooklyn to the Giants, anything can happen.

Griffey012
08-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I wonder what the chances are that The Cardinals fir LaRussa before the end of the season.

I could actually see that sparking the Cards to make a late season push for the playoffs.

fearofpopvol1
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Reds should pursue Rasmus and make him the LF next year.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I could actually see that sparking the Cards to make a late season push for the playoffs.

Right...I think there are a lot of players that don't like LaRussa, but can't say anything about it. If you argue with LaRussa...then you are traded. I really wouldn't be surprised if he is fired before the Reds series.

Ghosts of 1990
08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
StL won't trade Rasmus. Not gonna happen. And TLR will be back next year. This will all boil over and be a non-issue.

Homer Bailey
08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Reds should pursue Rasmus and make him the LF next year.

Cards trading him to their biggest contender for the next few years? Zero percent chance of that happening.

fearofpopvol1
08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Cards trading him to their biggest contender for the next few years? Zero percent chance of that happening.

Unlikely? Sure. Possible? Yes, if the offer was good enough.

MississippiRed
08-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Did y'all notice the rest of the highlights in that Cards/Nats game? I think it was Maxwell who came up out of his slide into 2B on a stolen base and just gave Brendan Ryan a forearm. This coming off the heels of the no slide by Morgan the night before (running away from home plate just to hit the C Anderson).

I'm starting to think pretty much all the teams feel the same way about the Cards as Brandon Phillips and the Reds.

Tornon
08-30-2010, 01:05 PM
StL won't trade Rasmus. Not gonna happen. And TLR will be back next year. This will all boil over and be a non-issue.

I dunno if I'd say a non-issue.. all these "non-issues" seem to have followed LaRussa around awhile

smith288
08-30-2010, 01:06 PM
The way bad mojo follows LaRussa, I dont want him.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 01:08 PM

It won't be a non issue until one of the two is gone. This has happened many times in the past, and it never boils over and become a non issue. Rasmus' dad has always been an issue with LaRussa.

Ghosts of 1990
08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
It won't be a non issue until one of the two is gone. This has happened many times in the past, and it never boils over and become a non issue. Rasmus' dad has always been an issue with LaRussa.

Is Rasmus' dad some type of former collegiate or High School coach type?

TheNext44
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
lol i bet you do. I hope he retires after this season. I've waited years to see how Oquendo would do as a manager in St. Louis.

Oquendo was one of my favorite players when he was playing. I almost hope he doesn't become the Cards next manager because I would hate to have to root against him.

BTW, props to you Matty for sticking around this board even when times are tough for the Cards. You're a real class act. :thumbup:

dougdirt
08-30-2010, 01:19 PM

I believe his dad is a coach. This type of 'issue' goes back to the day he was drafted. He has always been a guy who disagreed with the Cardinals teaching of his son and at one point in the minors, Colby and his father basically told the Cardinals they were going back to the way that they want to do things. Funny thing is, when that happened, he turned his entire season around.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 01:22 PM

His Dad is a high school coach. It seems like everytime Colby calls his dad and takes his advise, that he starts hitting better. Maybe they should fire LaRussa, and hire Colby's dad as the hitting coach. lol

cumberlandreds
08-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Did y'all notice the rest of the highlights in that Cards/Nats game? I think it was Maxwell who came up out of his slide into 2B on a stolen base and just gave Brendan Ryan a forearm. This coming off the heels of the no slide by Morgan the night before (running away from home plate just to hit the C Anderson).

I'm starting to think pretty much all the teams feel the same way about the Cards as Brandon Phillips and the Reds.

The Nats are one of the more passive teams in MLB. For them to get riled up like that say a lot about the Cardinals and how much it seems everyone dislikes them.
Morgan got benched yesterday for that play at the plate. He was so intent on hitting the catcher he missed home and was tagged out trying comeback to touch the plate. Riggleman didn't like that apparently.
That was Maxwell that gave the forearm on the slide.

Ghosts of 1990
08-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I believe his dad is a coach. This type of 'issue' goes back to the day he was drafted. He has always been a guy who disagreed with the Cardinals teaching of his son and at one point in the minors, Colby and his father basically told the Cardinals they were going back to the way that they want to do things. Funny thing is, when that happened, he turned his entire season around.

Here's a few reads on Colby and Tony Rasmus

http://www.baseballdigest.com/2010/03/30/deeper-look-colby-rasmus/

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/therundown/2010/02/tony_rasmus_still_talking_colby_internet_message_b oard.php
(This one is REALLY interesting. Colby's dad going around on internet forums and won't stop talking about his son's business).

Colby’s father, Tony (a high school baseball coach), blames Tony LaRussa’s micro-managing of the phenom’s swing. He even hints that his son should have defied the eccentric manager, saying “I don’t care if God tells me to change what I’m doing. If I’ve been having success, I’m not going to do it.”

RedsManRick
08-30-2010, 01:34 PM
His Dad is a high school coach. It seems like everytime Colby calls his dad and takes his advise, that he starts hitting better. Maybe they should fire LaRussa, and hire Colby's dad as the hitting coach. lol

Reminds me a certain Reds pitcher who benefited from his HS coaches advice.

PuffyPig
08-30-2010, 01:35 PM
IIRC, it wa stated yesterday that Rasmus was removed from the lineup a half hour before the game because of a poor umpire matchup.

redsmetz
08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Ok I won't lol Just hope that Jocketty doesn't want to reunite with his friend. I'd like to see Duncan stay, but if they must be a pair, then I guess they can go as a pair.

But with that, there's no way I want to lose Bryan Price. I said this when they first hired him that I think he's going to be very important to this organization. For all the talk of an extension for Dusty, I think it's imperative that we keep Price.

redsmetz
08-30-2010, 01:43 PM
IIRC, it wa stated yesterday that Rasmus was removed from the lineup a half hour before the game because of a poor umpire matchup.

If Dusty did that, Joey'd lose a lot of playing time... :D

traderumor
08-30-2010, 01:45 PM
KGJ used to call his dad when he was not a hitting coach for the Reds. Of course, Sr. has a little bit more credibility than a HS coach. But then, that was also during the Dark Ages of Reds baseball, so...

Parent meddling doesn't end after little league? Who knew.

Chip R
08-30-2010, 01:50 PM

One of those managers was Larry Bowa, though.

I think you and I talked about this last year but I found it odd that LaRussa's feud with Rolen escalated because Rolen wanted to play with a hurt shoulder in the playoffs and Tony & Co. didn't want him to yet when Duncan's kid tried to play hurt last year, Tony & Papa Duncan defended him and were very angry he was cut.

Caveat Emperor
08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Right...I think there are a lot of players that don't like LaRussa, but can't say anything about it. If you argue with LaRussa...then you are traded. I really wouldn't be surprised if he is fired before the Reds series.

DeWitt loves LaRussa -- that's one point "against" his being fired anytime soon, IMO.

The other 800lb elephant in the room is Albert Pujols' looming free agency. With the money Ryan Howard just got (5/125), you have to believe Pujols is in line for a huge pay raise -- possibly into the $30m per range. The Cardinals cannot afford to get into a bidding war for Pujols and need him to take some kind of "hometown discount" (if you can even call taking an equivalent contract to Howard a "discount") or forego the open market to retain him in St. Louis.

I imagine that any decisions regarding the Cardinals managerial situation will skew, at least in part, towards doing whatever it takes to keep #5 in town.

Scrap Irony
08-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Agreed. Whatever Pujols wants will happen.

(And that's probably a good move, fwiw.)

Pujols affects more games than does any manager, no matter who he is.

HeatherC1212
08-30-2010, 04:55 PM
But with that, there's no way I want to lose Bryan Price. I said this when they first hired him that I think he's going to be very important to this organization. For all the talk of an extension for Dusty, I think it's imperative that we keep Price.

IIRC, Bryan Price is signed to a three year deal but I could have that wrong.

Count me as another who really doesn't want TLR managing the Reds anytime in the future. I don't want to root against my own team. :eek:

CarolinaRedleg
08-30-2010, 05:00 PM
IIRC, Bryan Price is signed to a three year deal but I could have that wrong.

Count me as another who really doesn't want TLR managing the Reds anytime in the future. I don't want to root against my own team. :eek:

Agreed. LaDoubleday in the Reds dugout means it's time to find a hobby or something. I refuse to root against the Reds....LaRussa managing the good guys might force me to find a different time investment, however.

westofyou
08-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Larussa is a great manager, if he managed the Reds I'd still root for them, heck if Hitler manged them with Mussolini as his bench coach I'd still root for them.

However I don't want a guy who sees more in his past than in his future when it comes to the game.

Cedric
08-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Larussa is a great manager, if he managed the Reds I'd still root for them, heck if Hitler manged them with Mussolini as his bench coach I'd still root for them.

However I don't want a guy who sees more in his past than in his future when it comes to the game.

But what if Stalin was the pitching coach?

Roy Tucker
08-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Marge would have hired him. She didn't think he was so bad in the beginning.

;)

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
DeWitt loves LaRussa -- that's one point "against" his being fired anytime soon, IMO.

True, but he loved Jocketty at one point as well.

Redsfan320
08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
It would appear that the feud is at least partially over. Rasmus is in the lineup tonight.

Strikes Out Looking
08-30-2010, 07:35 PM
LaRussa will leave on his own terms. He knows where the bodies are buried.

MattyHo4Life
08-30-2010, 08:19 PM
It would appear that the feud is at least partially over. Rasmus is in the lineup tonight.

The feud has been going on for awhile, and LaRussa holds grudges. Rasmus is in the line-up, because the Cardinals can't win without him. LaRussa feuds only end in a trade.

REDblooded
08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I'd rather have Dusty than LaRussa at this point... Never thought I'd say that before the season started... However, I'd find some way to add that Duncan kid.

membengal
08-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Over Bryan Price?

Duncan is Duncan, but what's Price done to get the ziggy?

WebScorpion
08-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I like Duncan...but I like Price more. As far as Larussa/Baker goes, I'd have chosen Baker over Larussa before this season...now? Fogeddaboudit! :p:

aubashbrother
08-31-2010, 01:57 AM
I guess this would be a good spot for this. This is from Joe Strauss twitter

FSM wanted no part of reason behind Colby's Sunday scratch. None. TLR had scolded FSM for showing snippet of dust-up w/Carp 2 months ago.

http://twitter.com/JoeStrauss

reds44
08-31-2010, 02:36 AM
It won't happend, but I'd love to see Rasmus come to the Reds and stick it to the Cardinals every year.

Slyder
08-31-2010, 02:41 AM

Try to get him on the Cubs :D. And yes Im being serious.

The Operator
08-31-2010, 04:21 AM
It won't happen, but I'd love to see Rasmus come to the Reds and stick it to the Cardinals every year.

I think Walt drafted him, also. I doubt it would ever happen though. It'd almost have to be a slight of hand deal involving another team where team A acquires him, and unknown by St. Louis, has plans to ship him here as part of a separate deal.

I hope they keep LaRussa around over there. I really like the vibes he's putting into the Cardinals clubhouse.

GAC
08-31-2010, 04:42 AM
The solution to this problem is to find a way to get LaRussa signed with Cincinnati and back with Jocketty before Rasmus is traded.

"You bad man. Very, very bad man!"

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dubk-PnOtXPfoM:http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/ideastoprint/Babu_Bhatt_Seinfeld.jpg&t=1
:p:

bucksfan2
08-31-2010, 09:04 AM

You would really have an incentive to perform thats for sure.

Chip R
08-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Talk about your roster purges. :eek:

redsmetz
08-31-2010, 10:27 AM
You would really have an incentive to perform thats for sure.

Getting sent out would not be a picnic. Who wants to pitch for the Siberian Schlobotniks? You definitely want to stay with the Reds, no?

MattyHo4Life
08-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Most of the Cardinals players shaved their heads yesterday to try to rally and show their unity as a team. I'm waiting for LaRussa to shave his head lol :)

Reds Fanatic
08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Most of the Cardinals players shaved their heads yesterday to try to rally and show their unity as a team. I'm waiting for LaRussa to shave his head lol :)

LaRussa said he won't shave his head until the Cardinals have a 5 game lead in the central. So I don't think he has to worry about shaving his head.

MattyHo4Life
08-31-2010, 02:03 PM
LaRussa said he won't shave his head until the Cardinals have a 5 game lead in the central. So I don't think he has to worry about shaving his head.

I think that was his way of saying no. I'd still like to see him do it though.

traderumor
08-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Most of the Cardinals players shaved their heads yesterday to try to rally and show their unity as a team. I'm waiting for LaRussa to shave his head lol :)Probably Holliday's idea since he wouldn't have to do anything ;)

MattyHo4Life
08-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Probably Holliday's idea since he wouldn't have to do anything ;)

A lot of the Cardinals already have shaved heads. I was surprised they made such a big deal abot it. I thought they all had shaved heads already except for LaRue and LaRussa! lol At least Brendan Ryan didn't talk them into the mustache thing again. lol

Big Klu
08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
At least Brendan Ryan didn't talk them into the mustache thing again. lol

"I wish I had a pencil-thin mustache, the Boston Blackie kind."

http://www.parrotheadparadise.com/images/KentTaylor150x200.jpg

TheNext44
08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
La Russa can't shave his head. It would take too much work to keep dying it black when it keeps growing back in gray. :cool:

RBA
08-31-2010, 08:39 PM
A lot of the Cardinals already have shaved heads. I was surprised they made such a big deal abot it. I thought they all had shaved heads already except for LaRue and LaRussa! lol At least Brendan Ryan didn't talk them into the mustache thing again. lol

A lot of people who use muscle "vitamins" due lose their hair.

MattyHo4Life
08-31-2010, 10:30 PM
A lot of people who use muscle "vitamins" due lose their hair.

Haha yep...Skip Schumaker is a muscle head :p:

traderumor
08-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Well, what to do now? Sacrifice a chicken in the clubhouse?

RFS62
08-31-2010, 10:48 PM
How good can it get?

The Cards shaving their heads to no avail, and Chapman announcing his presence with authority.

WMR
08-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Karma Kramer

MattyHo4Life
08-31-2010, 10:49 PM

Haha....yep!

WebScorpion
08-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Easy. You pitch Jeff Suppan instead of Garcia to get the team out of their funk. :rolleyes:

GAC
09-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Most of the Cardinals players shaved their heads yesterday to try to rally and show their unity as a team.

Maybe they'd better shave something else!

Either that. Give'em tambourines!

http://krishna.org/images/Kirtana/kirtan_beach_s.jpg

RFS62
09-01-2010, 06:21 AM
This just in...... Cardinals get volume discount from hair club for men...... news at 11