PDA

View Full Version : Chapman joining the Reds 8/31 Nix to DL Volquez to Dayton

Pages : [1] 2

reds44
08-29-2010, 10:44 PM
From Yahoo columnist Jeff Passan's twitter:

#Reds source: Team plans to call up Aroldis Chapman and his 105-mph fastball Monday or Tuesday. Pre-Sept. 1 call makes him playoff eligible.

The Operator
08-29-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm gonna be at the park on Tuesday, I'd love to see this guy pitch.

I've been telling my girlfriend stories about him, and I don't think she gets just how fast "105" will look, and sound. I can't wait to (hopefully) see him in action.

Jpup
08-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Rhodes to the DL and Chapman to the Reds?

Griffey012
08-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Rhodes to the DL and Chapman to the Reds?

I would like this move. We need to DL Arthur and get his some much needed rest. His feet are obviously bothering him and have the depth in the pen to get him some rest. Plus I can't wait to see what Chapman can do for us.

RedsMan3203
08-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I got alot of slack in the GT about putting Rhodes on the DL and calling up Chappy...

"He has been dealing with this all year, no need to DL him"

The Operator
08-29-2010, 11:23 PM
That would actually be a very smart move.

Rhodes clearly isn't himself lately, we need to have him rested and ready to go for the playoffs, hopefully.

Phhhl
08-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Has anyone ever even recorded a major league fastball at more than 102 mph since such things started to be documented? If nothing else, we could be looking at a Guiness World Record...

I keep reading these rose colored reports that Ardolis is not only throwing with historically unprecedented velocity, he is also exhibiting incredible command over his stuff since the move to the pen. If this urban legend somehow proves to be true, we could be looking at the type of bullpen that shortens games to 5 and 6 innings. As we saw with the 1990 World Champions, that pitching staff model can be every bit as effective as the club that front loads their rotation with incredibly expensive starting pitching.

I think this team is going to make the playoffs at this point, either as a division champ or a wild card team. To take the Reds to the next level in the playoffs, it is going to take an angle in the pitching staff that few teams can match up with. That is what makes Aroldis Chapman such a potentially devastating weapon.

It is time right now for this club to cash in on some of the 30 million dollar investment they made last winter. It has the potential of making that single decision look like one of the greatest front office decisions of the last ten years in major league baseball.

Redsfan320
08-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Supposedly, Nolan Ryan was clocked going 108.1 in '74. :eek:

http://efastball.com/baseball/stats/fastest-pitch-speed-in-major-leagues/

Homer Bailey
08-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Zero reason to DL Rhodes as September is merely hours away. Literally zero reason.

fearofpopvol1
08-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Has anyone ever even recorded a major league fastball at more than 102 mph since such things started to be documented? If nothing else, we could be looking at a Guiness World Record...

I keep reading these rose colored reports that Ardolis is not only throwing with historically unprecedented velocity, he is also exhibiting incredible command over his stuff since the move to the pen. If this urban legend somehow proves to be true, we could be looking at the type of bullpen that shortens games to 5 and 6 innings. As we saw with the 1990 World Champions, that pitching staff model can be every bit as effective as the club that front loads their rotation with incredibly expensive starting pitching.

I think this team is going to make the playoffs at this point, either as a division champ or a wild card team. To take the Reds to the next level in the playoffs, it is going to take an angle in the pitching staff that few teams can match up with. That is what makes Aroldis Chapman such a potentially devastating weapon.

It is time right now for this club to cash in on some of the 30 million dollar investment they made last winter. It has the potential of making that single decision look like one of the greatest front office decisions of the last ten years in major league baseball.

Joel Zumaya has been clocked at 105 during a game. That seems to be the fastest recorded from what I can find. Several people have hit 103 and 104.

cincrazy
08-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Zero reason to DL Rhodes as September is merely hours away. Literally zero reason.

Rhodes is clearly tiring. I DL him for no other reason than to give him rest. I'd rather have him fresh and ready to go for the playoffs than have him tired and ragged by the end of September.

Homer Bailey
08-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Rhodes is clearly tiring. I DL him for no other reason than to give him rest. I'd rather have him fresh and ready to go for the playoffs than have him tired and ragged by the end of September.

Why DL him when we can simply call up other bullpen bodies?

You can still rest him as long as you want, or use him whenever you really need.

DL'ing him at this point makes no sense at all.

cincrazy
08-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Why DL him when we can simply call up other bullpen bodies?

You can still rest him as long as you want, or use him whenever you really need.

I see your point. But my point is, I don't know if I trust Dusty enough to NOT use him if he's available. And you can't blame Dusty for that, Rhodes has been his most reliable bullpen arm for most of the year. I simply just tell Arthur to go away for a while. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't do so. But with Rhodes being around 40, I'd play it a little differently.

The Operator
08-30-2010, 01:10 AM

It does let them break Chapman in against The Brewers and at home instead of on the road, in a huge series against The Cards.

VR
08-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Supposedly, Nolan Ryan was clocked going 108.1 in '74. :eek:

http://efastball.com/baseball/stats/fastest-pitch-speed-in-major-leagues/

I can take you to the spot that me and two buddies talked about it after reading it in the sports page when I was 8 years old. Weird.

marcshoe
08-30-2010, 01:25 AM
Well, he isn't up yet. I know because I just read Chip's signature.

Brutus
08-30-2010, 01:36 AM

Is there any reason not to? If they feel he needs to be disabled, it doesn't change anything at all. It won't change the structure of the pen. It won't change who will be eligible. I don't know that it matters, at this juncture.

Captain Hook
08-30-2010, 01:47 AM
Count me as one that thinks that if Rhodes isn't anymore injured then he's been all year he needs to stay in the pen.As it has been mentioned he can be rested with the expanded rosters.I'd say that sending a capable Rhodes to the DL so he can be ready for the playoffs is still getting ahead of ourself a bit.

kaldaniels
08-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Is there any reason not to? If they feel he needs to be disabled, it doesn't change anything at all. It won't change the structure of the pen. It won't change who will be eligible. I don't know that it matters, at this juncture.

If they DL'd Rhodes tommorrow, both Rhodes and the guy they call up would be eligible. Am I mistaken here?

Brutus
08-30-2010, 03:08 AM
If they DL'd Rhodes tommorrow, both Rhodes and the guy they call up would be eligible. Am I mistaken here?

You are not.

sabometrics
08-30-2010, 03:43 AM
Just going on the simple fact that Chapman does NOT have to be up before Sept. to make the playoff roster I'm skeptical of this report. I'm thinking he had a source tell him "soon" and he didn't look hard enough to realize the full extent of the Reds' options.

Regardless I'm counting down the hours till I get to see this kid pitch. It's like waiting for Santa. Except Santa is already attending all the recent Reds games. So I guess it's like waiting for ... well I don't know, but I'm excited.

GAC
08-30-2010, 05:54 AM
How much rest does Rhodes need? Prior to yesterday he hadn't pitched in 4 days (8/25).

IslandRed
08-30-2010, 01:01 PM

It depends on how disabled he is, I guess. If it's a situation where he needs two weeks at a minimum and then he'll be right, then I suppose it wouldn't make a difference. But if this is one of those situations where it's a nagging thing and it's not going to clear up for good until he can get an offseason's worth of rest? Then you're taking him out for 15 days, minimum, when he could pitch, and we're in a pennant race. So I'd lean towards the September virtual version of the DL instead of the actual DL, because then he'd be available if we really needed him.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to put him on the DL so someone else can get a callup and be postseason eligible. Given the pitchers already on the 60-day DL who give us a lot of flexibility in the postseason roster due to the K-Rod loophole, I can't think of a scenario where a pitcher that will be in the organization tomorrow, and we really want on the postseason roster, can't be on it.

OnBaseMachine
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
From John Fay:

I'm told no Chapman tonight. #reds

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Despite a bullpen that is struggling right now, it appears the Reds will wait until Wedneday to call up Chapman. Which means there's a strong chance he'll make his major league debut in St. Louis or Colorado instead of at home.

blumj
08-30-2010, 01:15 PM
It depends on how disabled he is, I guess. If it's a situation where he needs two weeks at a minimum and then he'll be right, then I suppose it wouldn't make a difference. But if this is one of those situations where it's a nagging thing and it's not going to clear up for good until he can get an offseason's worth of rest? Then you're taking him out for 15 days, minimum, when he could pitch, and we're in a pennant race. So I'd lean towards the September virtual version of the DL instead of the actual DL, because then he'd be available if we really needed him.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to put him on the DL so someone else can get a callup and be postseason eligible. Given the pitchers already on the 60-day DL who give us a lot of flexibility in the postseason roster due to the K-Rod loophole, I can't think of a scenario where a pitcher that will be in the organization tomorrow, and we really want on the postseason roster, can't be on it.
Usually, it's the position players that teams have to work to do something about, because a lot of teams only like to carry 10 pitchers on the division series roster, but nobody wants 15 position players on their 25 man roster on August 31.

OnBaseMachine
08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
From Fay:

Aroldis Chapman does not have to be called up before Sept. 1 to be eligible for the playoffs. Quite frankly, I cant see why the Reds would not call him up for the Milwaukee series. I would pay to see him pitch to Prince Fielder. But Im told he will not be called up today.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/30/playoff-eligibility-and-charpman/

With Rhodes struggling in his last two appearances, and Prince Fielder in town, you would think it would make sense to bring Chapman up for this series.

BRM
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
With Rhodes struggling in his last two appearances, and Prince Fielder in town, you would think it would make sense to bring Chapman up for this series.

No worries. Bill Bray is still on the staff.

joshnky
08-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Which means there's a strong chance he'll make his major league debut in St. Louis or Colorado instead of at home.

Is there an advantage to having his debut in St. Louis? Setting aside all of the reasons to debut in Cincy, the Cards will have little if any information on him if he makes his debut against them. I would imagine you do more to prepare for a guy if he has just impressed against the Brewers rather than AAA hitters.

I also like this reasoning for delaying his big league arrival. The longer you wait, provided the team wins, the more you put off the league "catching up" to your star.

Just a thought.

RedsMan3203
08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
No worries. Bill Bray is still on the staff.

Who? :confused:

membengal
08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Is there an advantage to having his debut in St. Louis? Setting aside all of the reasons to debut in Cincy, the Cards will have little if any information on him if he makes his debut against them. I would imagine you do more to prepare for a guy if he has just impressed against the Brewers rather than AAA hitters.

I also like this reasoning for delaying his big league arrival. The longer you wait, provided the team wins, the more you put off the league "catching up" to your star.

Just a thought.

I'm kinda hoping that if he really has harnessed his stuff and has his fastball sitting at 102 touching 105 and a slider at 90-92, it won't matter what the book is on him...

OnBaseMachine
08-30-2010, 01:43 PM
From Baseball America:

What was more important for the Reds was Chapman's command. He retired the side on 14 pitches, 11 of them were strikes. Since July 10, Chapman has thrown 66 percent strikes. Over those 20 games, Chapman is 4-0, 0.83 with eight saves in eight opportunities. He's allowed 10 hits and seven walks over those 21 2/3 innings with 35 strikeouts. He's struck out 42 percent of the batters he's faced over the past month and a half.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=10187

Larkin Fan
08-30-2010, 02:46 PM
How much rest does Rhodes need? Prior to yesterday he hadn't pitched in 4 days (8/25).

Thom and Brantley mentioned during yesterday's game that Rhodes has been struggling with plantar fasciitis throughout the season. It was very apparent that he was favoring his right foot, if i remember correctly, while he was on the mound yesterday, so it's very possible that is acting up again. Plantar fasciitis is extremely painful and often when there's a flare-up, the only effective way to treat it is long-term rest.

RedsMan3203
08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Tomorrow.. :)

Via Cincinnati Reds Twitter

Reds expected to recall LHP Aroldis Chapman prior to tomorrow night's game.

RedsMan3203
08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Also... ;)

LHP Aroldis Chapman is expected to be recalled tomorrow from Triple-A Louisville . A press conference with Chapman and Reds GM Walt Jocketty will take place at Great American Ball Park following tomorrow night's game vs Milwuakee.

In 39 appearances (13 starts) this season with Louisville, Chapman went 9-6 with 8 saves and a 3.57 ERA (95.2ip, 52bb, 125k, .218oba).

RedsMan3203
08-30-2010, 07:13 PM
And will be available to pitch in tomorrow's game...

Jamieblog

@ctrent He will be eligible to pitch in tomorrow night's game.

reds44
08-30-2010, 07:15 PM
AWESOME.

Homer Bailey
08-30-2010, 07:16 PM
YEEEEEEES

reds44
08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Apparently we don't want to take a chance with the playoff rosters.

We have to recall him and Harang tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see who goes down. LeCure will most likely be one, and either Bray or Volquez the other.

guttle11
08-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Great, how is Chris Carpenter supposed to explain this to his son?

muddie
08-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm on vacation this week so I can hang until the end of the games, awesome.

RedsMan3203
08-30-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm on vacation this week so I can hang until the end of the games, awesome.

Vacation or no vacation.... Reds are in a race... I'm hanging until the last out!

Homer Bailey
08-30-2010, 07:44 PM

Hahaha...

"Daddy, how come he throws so much faster than you?"

Always Red
08-30-2010, 07:53 PM

:beerme:

kaldaniels
08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Outstanding.

Well I guess its cards on the table time folks, does anyone think the Reds did not fall within the margin of error on how they advanced Aroldis through Louisville/his promotion to Cincinnati?

wheels
08-30-2010, 08:02 PM
I would wait until the Cardinals series to use him.

Unleash the blazing fury of the Cuban Missile upon them.

15fan
08-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Giddy.

Up.

Bring him in for the finale vs. the Brewers. Let him throw his first pitch to the backstop about 10 feet up.

Then let him blow away whoever he's facing for the final out of the inning.

wally post
08-30-2010, 08:13 PM
This is such an awesome year!

joshnky
08-30-2010, 08:15 PM

I agree. Keep him in reserve unless you need him against the Brewers.

Cyclone792
08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
I hope we look back on this day and realize that it was the ultimate launching piece of the Reds dynasty taking shape.

Bring him in for the finale vs. the Brewers. Let him throw his first pitch to the backstop about 10 feet up.

I won't lie when I say that I'd be pretty satisfied if Chapman "accidentally" drills a Cardinal this weekend with a 105mph fastball.

backbencher
08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
I won't lie when I say that I'd be pretty satisfied if Chapman "accidentally" drills a Cardinal this weekend with a 105mph fastball.

Brandon, is that you? Escalating the emotions really worked well for the Reds last time.

How about hoping that Chapman strikes out Cards instead of plunking them?

Redsfan320
08-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Well yeah. But you're saying you wouldn't be happy to see Carpenter get plunked somewhere it won't kill him/ end his career, such as the rump. I know I would.

RedsMan3203
08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Well yeah. But you're saying you wouldn't be happy to see Carpenter get plunked somewhere it won't kill him/ slash end his career, such as the rump. I know I would.

It would make me smile on the inside.... :D

Cyclone792
08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Brandon, is that you? Escalating the emotions really worked well for the Reds last time.

Considering that the Cardinals have tanked since that series, I'm absolutely content with everything that went down.

Not to mention, knowing our good pal Tony, if Chapman throws a fastball even two inches inside it'll have La Russa and the Cards crying like babies that he's taking aim anyway.

muddie
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Vacation or no vacation.... Reds are in a race... I'm hanging until the last out!

I get up at 2 AM and have to be at work at 3 AM. Anything beyond 10 PM and I'm out.

RedsMan3203
08-30-2010, 09:34 PM
I get up at 2 AM and have to be at work at 3 AM. Anything beyond 10 PM and I'm out.

Ouch! Keep doin, what you are doin....

I'm sure you and boss man can work something out soon :)

HeatherC1212
08-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Awesome, awesome news! I missed seeing him by two days since I was at the game yesterday afternoon but I'm thrilled he'll be up here and ready to go for the St. Louis series. It's Cuban Missile time!! :jump:

reds44
08-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm not going to lie, Chapman drilling Molina with an 105 MPH fastball would be great.

Although watching him K the side would be even better.

SunDeck
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I hope we look back on this day and realize that it was the ultimate launching piece of the Reds dynasty taking shape.

I'd be happier if he drove over Carpenter in the parking lot with his Lambroghini.

Ghosts of 1990
08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
To celebrate the arrival of the Cuban Missile, I'm going to smoke one of my Cuban Cohiba cigars that's been in my humidor all summer after we win tomorrow night.

steig
08-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I'd be happier if he drove over Carpenter in the parking lot with his Lambroghini.

I will help contribute to repairs of his Lamborghini if Chapman can complete his first mission

11larkin11
08-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Giddy.

Up.

They were talking on the pregame show on WLW about having Ramon go to the mound and tell him in Spanish to pull the old Bull Durham and nail Gapper with his first pitch

REDblooded
08-31-2010, 12:00 AM

If the plantar fasciatis is what's causing the recent problems, which would make sense, as the pain of landing on his foot could cause him to lose focus when pitching, he could use a week or two away... Pretty much rest and ice are the only way to make that monster go away, and two weeks might not be enough...

Chip R
08-31-2010, 12:05 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85249

kaldaniels
08-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Edit - Its none of my business.

paintmered
08-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Edit - Its none of my business.

I didn't notice the second thread. They're merged now.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2010, 12:43 AM
So exciting! I'm just as excited about the arrival of Chapman as I was of Bruce, Dunn, and Votto. Maybe even more. I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm, though. I'm sure he'll have some ups and downs, but with his stuff, as long as he throws strikes, I think we'll see more ups than downs.

sabometrics
08-31-2010, 12:46 AM
Definitely most exciting call-up in my time as a Reds fan, followed by Bailey, then by Bruce probably. It has less to do with my expectation of how good a pitcher he will be and more with the 100-105 mph range his fastball sits in. I'm excited about getting to watch such a rare physical talent, regardless of results.

camisadelgolf
08-31-2010, 12:55 AM
This is awesome. I'm more excited about this than I am the birth of my first child.

sivman17
08-31-2010, 12:58 AM
Bobby Valentine: "A world class arm throws 100 mph. An increase to 105 is like someone breaking Usain Bolt's 100m record with a time of 9.1"

sivman17
08-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Definitely most exciting call-up in my time as a Reds fan, followed by Bailey, then by Bruce probably. It has less to do with my expectation of how good a pitcher he will be and more with the 100-105 mph range his fastball sits in. I'm excited about getting to watch such a rare physical talent, regardless of results.

I was at Bailey's first start, as I'm sure a lot of people in here were. That place was rocking when he struck out the batter with the bases loaded in the 5th inning. He didn't go long that day but it sure was exciting, and he got the win.

WebScorpion
08-31-2010, 01:00 AM
This is awesome. I'm more excited about this than I am the birth of my first child.
That's messed up, dude. :lol:

kaldaniels
08-31-2010, 01:06 AM
So I did some math. Here's what I came up with.

A 105 mph pitch from 60.6 ft comes to the plate in the same amount of time a 95 mph pitch comes from 54.4 ft.

So unless I'm wrong, hitting Chapman is tantamount to hitting a 95 mph fastball from Nick Massett....if he is 54.4 ft away. :eek:

Ron Madden
08-31-2010, 04:27 AM
I hope Chapman never gets to throw a pitch to Carpenter this year.

Heck, I'd love it if our offense would knock Carpenter outta the game before his spot in the lineup ever comes to the plate.

BRM
08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
He's listed on the active roster now.

I(heart)Freel
08-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Would love to be wrong here... but I would think Harang isn't prepped to go too deep in this game, no matter how he pitches.

So there's a pretty good likelihood we'll see a few bullpen arms tonight.

Call me greedy, but I think we'll see the debut tonight. From a business POV, it will goose the crowd tonight and tomorrow. And from a baseball POV, it keeps him tuned up for the more important Cards series.

My two pennies.

BRM
08-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Harang isn't showing up on the active roster, FWIW. Chapman is but there are currently 26 players listed. Obviously more moves are coming.

Hoosier Red
08-31-2010, 02:53 PM

A 105 mph pitch from 60.6 ft comes to the plate in the same amount of time a 95 mph pitch comes from 54.4 ft.

So unless I'm wrong, hitting Chapman is tantamount to hitting a 95 mph fastball from Nick Massett....if he is 54.4 ft away. :eek:

The other point they brought up on Sportstalk last night was that because Chapman's so tall and lanky, he's already throwing from and extra 6 inches to a foot closer. So really it's like trying to hit an average Cordero or Masset fastball from 53.4ft.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 02:59 PM
For those that haven't seen it...

http://web20.twitpic.com/img/154548400-74cb3ad4c77cefaf07ea37f0d68643b5.4c7d4320-scaled.png

MattyHo4Life
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM

Unleash the blazing fury of the Cuban Missile upon them.

I hope he does make his debut in St. Louis.

Sea Ray
08-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Any word on how they're going to make room for Harang and Chapman on the 25 man?

Brutus
08-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Any word on how they're going to make room for Harang and Chapman on the 25 man?

Not sure. Thus far, MLB.com lists Chapman as being called up within the transactions, but does not list a corresponding move. Thus, there are 26 guys listed as active at the moment.

Just a guess that you'll see Bray and LeCure optioned to the lower level minor leagues, or Bray optioned and Rhodes put on the DL.

I don't think the Reds will mess with any position players, because I think they have the position-pitcher distribution as they want it for the playoffs.

Reds Freak
08-31-2010, 04:32 PM

If you send players down today, do you still have to wait 10 days to bring them back up or does it not matter once the rosters expand?

medford
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
If you send players down today, do you still have to wait 10 days to bring them back up or does it not matter once the rosters expand?

I think you have to wait until the season ends of the franchise you send them to. Expect whomever gets sent down to go to Dayton until their season ends on the 6th (or Lynchburg or AA carolina) since Louisville is going to the postseason.

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
I think the roster moves depend completely on the FO deciding what they want to do with the group of Harang, LeCure, Volquez & Leake. One of them in the rotation...fine. One as the long man...fine. But somebody's got to go down. I'm thinkin it'll be Volquez & Leake.

blumj
08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
I think you just have to wait until the season ends of the league you've optioned them to?

medford
08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I think the roster moves depend completely on the FO deciding what they want to do with the group of Harang, LeCure, Volquez & Leake. One of them in the rotation...fine. One as the long man...fine. But somebody's got to go down. I'm thinkin it'll be Volquez & Leake.

Leake is already on the DL.

Volquez, Lecure, Bray, Rhodes to the DL would seem to be the options from the pitching side.

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Leake is already on the DL.

Volquez, Lecure, Bray, Rhodes to the DL would seem to be the options from the pitching side.

Good call. I forgot about that.

Sea Ray
08-31-2010, 04:48 PM
I think you have to wait until the season ends of the franchise you send them to. Expect whomever gets sent down to go to Dayton until their season ends on the 6th (or Lynchburg or AA carolina) since Louisville is going to the postseason.

Ahhh yes. Nice loophole. That is probably what they'll do.

nemesis
08-31-2010, 05:16 PM

If Phillips is 2 weeks away, you could DL him and if Rhodes foot is hurt, DL him and open 2 spots. It would also allow more flexibility for who you can and can't put on the Playoff roster. My guess this is the moves. Play a bench guy short for one game.

medford
08-31-2010, 05:21 PM
only problem with that, they had to know the moves they were going to make prior to yesterday's game since the announcement came at 6:00ish, baring any in game injuries. Then why use Brandon as a pinch runner? I'd want him back as soon as possible would prefer to back date his DL stint, heck I'd rather wait a day on Chapman than DL Brandon at this point. If he needs to sit out 2 weeks, then let him sit out on the active roster for 2 weeks and bring up a position player from the minors unless you're going to bring up a position player this evening that would be playoff eligible.

medford
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
It surprises me that as 4:20 est, they moves haven't been announced. All parties involved have to know at this point, probably knew last night. So what's holding back the announcement?

OesterPoster
08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Nix to DL. Volquez to Dayton.

Jamieblog
Nix to the DL, Volquez optioned to Dayton 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

Big Klu
08-31-2010, 05:28 PM

I remember a couple of years ago the Reds sent a pitcher (I can't recall who--maybe Homer?) to Sarasota instead of Louisville on 8/31, and got him back on 9/2 or 9/3. He didn't even physically report to Sarasota--it was a paper transaction.

The Voice of IH
08-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Nix to the DL, Volqueze Optioned?

Cedric
08-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Long trip for Edinson.

medford
08-31-2010, 05:40 PM
with 7 games left, I wonder if they'll attempt to get Edison two starts in Dayton to work out the kinks.

joshnky
08-31-2010, 05:42 PM
with 7 games left, I wonder if they'll attempt to get Edison two starts in Dayton to work out the kinks.

I bet he doesn't even leave Cincy.

Hoosier Red
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM

Fun fact, I remember Danny Ray Herrera throwing a 65 MPH pitch earlier this season, he may throw even slower but that's the one I remember. A 105 MPH pitch is the same as that changeup from 37.5 feet away.

medford
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
I bet he doesn't even leave Cincy.

He's pitching in Dayton on the 6th according to John Fay, via Lance Mcallister

reds44
08-31-2010, 05:52 PM
He's pitching in Dayton on the 6th according to John Fay, via Lance Mcallister
He's pitching tomorrow too, so yes he's going to get two starts. Make a lot of sense.

OC is going to be activated Friday too, and Nix was put on the DL.

medford
08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Lance just confirmed that thru John Fay. I think its a good thing to get him 2 starts, he's still not sharp coming back from TJS, getting him innings, then perhaps when the Reds clinch things he & Leake can get a for more starts to build their innings/arm up in prep for next season.

reds44
08-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Lance just confirmed that thru John Fay. I think its a good thing to get him 2 starts, he's still not sharp coming back from TJS, getting him innings, then perhaps when the Reds clinch things he & Leake can get a for more starts to build their innings/arm up in prep for next season.
Depending on how Harang does, you may not have seen the last of Volquez pitching meaningful baseball for the Reds.

reds44
08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
And Trent tweeted this:

ctrent #reds will make sept callups in 2 shifts: on the 1st and on 3rd
Must mean a lot of guys are coming up.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
From Tom Groeschen:

LOW PROFILE: The 22-year-old Chapman himself was low-key in the pregame clubhouse today. The Reds said Chapman will not be available for interviews until postgame, when Chapman, GM Walt Jocketty and manager Dusty Baker will field questions in the field level interview room. Louisville Bats trainer Tomas Vera will also be here to serve as translator for Cuban left-hander Chapman, who speaks little English.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/31/chapmania-arrives-with-fire-alarms/?GID=xHSUKMZ9ZSBwcihMFbKah6NsuM9jXbXuhVp7lo6J7a8%3 D

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2010, 06:04 PM
On Volquez, from John Fay:

“He was in the ‘pen simply because he wasn’t pitching effectively,” Dusty Baker said. “He’s in our plans as a starter, not a reliever. (Pitching coach Bryan Price) has made some mechanical changes. We’d rather have him experiment with those changes there. By sending him to Dayton, he can be back sooner. If he goes to Louisville, he can’t be back until after the playoffs.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/08/31/nix-to-dl-volquez-to-dayton/

blumj
08-31-2010, 06:06 PM
I remember a couple of years ago the Reds sent a pitcher (I can't recall who--maybe Homer?) to Sarasota instead of Louisville on 8/31, and got him back on 9/2 or 9/3. He didn't even physically report to Sarasota--it was a paper transaction.

If it had been Chapman they wanted to option instead of being the one they wanted to call up, they could have optioned him all the way to rookie ball since this is his first pro season.

redsmetz
08-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Interesting that Volquez still had options. It's a reminder of how young some of our players are.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Interesting that Volquez still had options. It's a reminder of how young some of our players are.

Technically, age has little to do with it. There are a lot of 10-year veterans that still have options remaining. Of course, after 5 years of service, you have the right to refuse an optional assignment. A lot of players never use up all 3 (or 4) options.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Depending on how Harang does, you may not have seen the last of Volquez pitching meaningful baseball for the Reds.

Harang will stick.

Tornon
08-31-2010, 06:18 PM

Yeah, Volquez had options.. Homer doesn't

Reds Fanatic
08-31-2010, 06:19 PM
I will be at the Dayton game tomorrow night. It will be interesting to see if they are able to work out his issues with whatever mechanical changes they are doing. Once they made some adjustment to Cordero he has been much more effective recently.

Blimpie
08-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Any guesses what the walkup gate will end up being tonight?

Roy Tucker
08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Yeah, Volquez had options.. Homer doesn't

I wonder if Wily Mo does?

;)

nemesis
08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Any guesses what the walkup gate will end up being tonight?

Ill guess 2 or 3 K. Being a reliever won't bump attendance much. I would guess low 20's tonight...

Sea Ray
08-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Harang will stick.

I was thinking they'd keep Volquez around tonight in case Harang bombs. They must have confidence that Harang can give 'em 5 or 6 innings

BRM
08-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Fay has said on his blog that Rhodes is not available tonight. Meaning there is a pretty good chance we actually see Chapman pitch.

Homer Bailey
08-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Did this move burn EV's option for this year? If that's the case, I think it's pretty silly if they burned his last option.

membengal
08-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Do you really see EV in AAA to start next year? I don't see the danger.

PuffyPig
08-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Even if Philips can't play for 2 weeks, I'd keep him around simply to use him as a pinch runner. With rosters expanded tomorrow, we have that luxury.

reds44
08-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Did this move burn EV's option for this year? If that's the case, I think it's pretty silly if they burned his last option.
Agreed.

KronoRed
08-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Do you really see EV in AAA to start next year? I don't see the danger.

If he does need time in AAA next year I'm betting it will be a DL reason for it.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 07:12 PM

Nope, doesn't burn it. He'll be down less than 20 days. It won't use up an option!

Brutus
08-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Fay has said on his blog that Rhodes is not available tonight. Meaning there is a pretty good chance we actually see Chapman pitch.

I kind of thought he would pitch because of the club's decision to delay the presser until after tonight's game. It seems there was an unspoken implication they'd let him pitch before having him talk to the media.

redsmetz
08-31-2010, 07:30 PM
I will be at the Dayton game tomorrow night. It will be interesting to see if they are able to work out his issues with whatever mechanical changes they are doing. Once they made some adjustment to Cordero he has been much more effective recently.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest almost 5000.

sivman17
08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Looks like Chapman is ready to go..

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg831/scaled.php?tn=0&server=831&filename=1i8j.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

from sam lecure's twitter

MattyHo4Life
08-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Ill guess 2 or 3 K. Being a reliever won't bump attendance much. I would guess low 20's tonight...

What is the normal attendance for a weekday Reds game? Has it gone up since they have been in 1st for awhile?

RedsMan3203
08-31-2010, 07:47 PM
What is the normal attendance for a weekday Reds game? Has it gone up since they have been in 1st for awhile?

Last night was right under 15k - Fay said it looked to be about the same type of crowd tonight....

I am puzzled on how/why these games aren't getting atleast 25k a night.

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Looks like Chapman is ready to go..

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg831/scaled.php?tn=0&server=831&filename=1i8j.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

from sam lecure's twitter

Yep, he's set. Got his Hannah Montana backpack and everything.

dougdirt
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Last night was right under 15k - Fay said it looked to be about the same type of crowd tonight....

Everyone has an HD tv, kids are back in school, its been really hot....

Big Klu
08-31-2010, 08:22 PM

I can't make a three-hour drive each way on a weeknight when I have to be at work the next morning.

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
100, 102, 103, 101 MPH in his first big league inning. And a filthy slider.

11larkin11
08-31-2010, 11:24 PM
I typed "Chapman" into the Google Updates and just watched the Twitter updates unload. Many people just keep mentioning Tommy John (as well as a Cards board I checked on) comparing him to Strasburg. I don't think people understand the smoothness of his motion and his smooth mechanics, things Stephen Strasburg doesn't possess.

11larkin11
08-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Its official Aroldis Chapman has broken Twitter.

reds44
08-31-2010, 11:38 PM
I am going to watch that inning literally a dozen times before I go to bed tonight.

membengal
08-31-2010, 11:39 PM
It's hard not be giddy.

I am going to go ahead and be giddy.

Giddy.

Homer Bailey
08-31-2010, 11:40 PM
I am going to watch that inning literally a dozen times before I go to bed tonight.

How do you go back and watch on mlbtv?

MattyHo4Life
08-31-2010, 11:46 PM

I don't get it either. It's been a long time since the Reds have been in this position in September. The Reds have a good young team, and they are playing great baseball. These games should be close to sell outs.

RFS62
08-31-2010, 11:46 PM
It's hard not be giddy.

I am going to go ahead and be giddy.

Giddy.

Me too.

This season has been so much fun.

traderumor
08-31-2010, 11:47 PM
I wish FSN had given a side shot showing how fast the ball was getting on the batter. You can appreciate even more the speed from that angle.

RedsMan3203
08-31-2010, 11:48 PM
So, how is everyone feeling now?

RFS62
08-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Chapman announced his presence with authority

membengal
08-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Audible laughter, RFS.

blumj
08-31-2010, 11:55 PM
http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numhorzspeed.php-pitchSel=547973&game=gid_2010_08_31_milmlb_cinmlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

reds1869
08-31-2010, 11:56 PM
http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numhorzspeed.php-pitchSel=547973&game=gid_2010_08_31_milmlb_cinmlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

That is just sick. I can't wait to see more of Mr. Chapman.

Griffey012
08-31-2010, 11:58 PM
I absolutely cannot wait too see the Chapman highlights. His stat line was awesome, I saw someone on here saying he was topping 100 multiple times, oh yeah and we are now 7 games up. I feel like a 6 year old the night before Christmas.

HeatherC1212
08-31-2010, 11:59 PM
I don't know about any one else but I can't afford to go to a ton of games right now (I just got a raise at work after not getting one for almost two years and it wasn't even that much). I've managed to go to about ten games this year and plan to go to more when the guys are home in September but the economy in Ohio isn't the best right now and that, coupled with kids being back in school and people having to work, is probably what's causing lower weekday attendance. Weekend attendance seems pretty darn strong (30,000+ almost every weekend since the All Star break) so I don't think the fans are purposely staying home. FSN Ohio has had very strong ratings this season so people are definitely watching the guys play, just not always at the ballpark. I need to win the lottery so I can go to more games, LOL :laugh:

Chapman's outing made my heart giddy. I remember when David Price came up for TB two years ago and when K-Rod first came up for the Angels. They brought a new energy and weapon to their team and it proved VERY valuable to each team not only for that season but in the following years too (Price has been awesome as a starter this year). Aroldis is our not so secret weapon and I'm just excited to see the Reds add another great piece to their team who is also part of the future. He should help shorten games up for the Reds and that's what makes me so giddy. Seeing triple digits on the radar gun was pretty dang awesome though! :lol:

LoganBuck
09-01-2010, 12:10 AM
The Chapman press conference they just showed on FSN was kind of neat to watch.

Walt Jocketty deserves a seat on the Jedi Council.

reds44
09-01-2010, 12:28 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11578627&c_id=cin

Homer Bailey
09-01-2010, 12:32 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11578627&c_id=cin

The fan in the front row looking at his hand in the beginning of this clip is my fraternity brother. Lol.

reds44
09-01-2010, 12:32 AM
The fan in the front row looking at his hand in the beginning of this clip is my fraternity brother. Lol.
Hahahaha nice!

Homer Bailey
09-01-2010, 12:43 AM
He just told me he almost barehanded the foul ball right before that, and his hand is swollen. Hahaha. That was the 102 MPH pitch.

Hoosier Red
09-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't get it either. It's been a long time since the Reds have been in this position in September. The Reds have a good young team, and they are playing great baseball. These games should be close to sell outs.

It's almost always the next year that sees the sales increase. If you think of your ticket buying public as 60% season tix, 20% single game tix purchased well in advance, 15% Single game tix purchased more than a day but less than a month in advance, and 5% walkup, it's hard to get a walkup crowd of more than 5-10K, even on a weekend, when there's nothing else, and you're playing a really good team.

On a weeknight, 80% of the tix that would have been purchased for tonight were probably purchased in January or February.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 01:03 AM
That was incredible. How crap, that slider is AMAZING. Did you see the break on that slider to strikeout Lucroy? The pitch started over the plate and ended up almost hitting Lucroy. I got goosebumps when Chapman entered the game, and even more so after he completed the inning. Tonight was one of the most exciting games of my lifetime.

IslandRed
09-01-2010, 01:14 AM
The guy nearly broke his back swinging at that slider. And I swear, Chapman visibly took something off that first fastball and it still hit 98. Egads. It was very reminiscent of watching top-form Randy Johnson, the way Randy used to make big-leaguers look like Little Leaguers, just hoping to avoid striking out.

I don't know how Chapman's career will end up, but at least I know now the talent hasn't been exaggerated.

sabometrics
09-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Unfortunately I was down in the staff locker rooms as beer sales were forced to cut off well before Aroldis even warmed up. Can anyone who was in attendance tell me what song they played for his entrance? Watched his performance with some fellow excited coworkers on a small tv, he looked every bit as nasty as we've been imagining. 7 games, with Chapman, now Alonso, and more to come in the wings, my excitement level is off the charts right now.

Tommyjohn25
09-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Unfortunately I was down in the staff locker rooms as beer sales were forced to cut off well before Aroldis even warmed up. Can anyone who was in attendance tell me what song they played for his entrance? Watched his performance with some fellow excited coworkers on a small tv, he looked every bit as nasty as we've been imagining. 7 games, with Chapman, now Alonso, and more to come in the wings, my excitement level is off the charts right now.

Was wondering the same thing.

aubashbrother
09-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Is it just me or does there seem to be a little jealousy from other teams fans. Ive been looking on other teams message boards and everyone says the same thing. " Yea he throws hard but TJ surgery is likely " blah blah blah . Heres to Chapman being a RED :beerme:

reds44
09-01-2010, 01:40 AM
YouTube - Aroldis Chapman MLB debut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXp_fxuV_o)

IslandRed
09-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Is it just me or does there seem to be a little jealousy from other teams fans. Ive been looking on other teams message boards and everyone says the same thing. " Yea he throws hard but TJ surgery is likely " blah blah blah . Heres to Chapman being a RED :beerme:

Of course Chapman could get hurt, he's a pitcher. But assuming someone will get hurt because he throws hard just means their sense of baseball history goes back as far as Stephen Strasburg.

cincrazy
09-01-2010, 02:00 AM

I don't know the name of the song, but it was the entrance music MJ's Bulls used in their introductions.

aubashbrother
09-01-2010, 02:39 AM
"He was deceptive, throws hard and has a good slider," Lucroy said. "He kind of hides it. I was just trying to have a good at-bat. I knew it was going to happen as he was coming in. Everybody knew they were going to make a big deal about it because he's supposed to be the next phenom or whatever. I was just tuning it all out and focusing on having a good at-bat, and I swung at a couple of bad pitches. I got myself out."

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Article from C. Trent:

“That thing … that pitch … that’s a whole different ballgame,” Hanigan said. “His breaking ball is what people should be talking about. His slider is absolutely ridiculous. He’s got to be able to throw it for a strike and he’s got to get into counts where we can call it, so getting ahead is big, but if he can throw that breaking ball for a strike… good luck. It’s a hammer. I saw it in Triple-A, it’s 88-to-93, it’s moving about a foot and a half. That’s not something that anyone wants to hit, I don’t care how good you are.”

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/24256379

membengal
09-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Reds44, thanks for that.

My youngest is 9, and last night was a school night (first day of school for him is today) and there was no way he could stay up for the game. He has been curious about Chapman, and we just watched the inning together here before heading to school.

Cool moment to share with him, and this whole summer has been one long cool bonding experience with him as he has fallen in love with baseball and the Reds have made it easy to do so.

cumberlandreds
09-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks Reds44. I couldn't stay up to see Chapman last night so this was the first I saw. Pretty dominating. If he has control he is nearly unhittable. He will be loads of fun to watch.

UKFlounder
09-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I wonder what the big market teams are thinking now, especially the Yankees who have had some pitching issues. It's still amazing to me that the Reds won the bidding for him.

The Operator
09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I wonder what the big market teams are thinking now, especially the Yankees who have had some pitching issues. It's still amazing to me that the Reds won the bidding for him.

When The Reds went out and won the bidding war for Chapman, something told me that they were back on the track to respectability. I wasn't expecting this year to play out as beautifully it has, but the fact that they went out and made that move really made me optimistic about their future.

paintmered
09-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't know the name of the song, but it was the entrance music MJ's Bulls used in their introductions.

Alan Parson's Project?

The Operator
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Alan Parson's Project?

YouTube - Dr. Evil explains "The Alan Parsons Project" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Duj2oZIC8U)

traderumor
09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
"He was deceptive, throws hard and has a good slider," Lucroy said. "He kind of hides it. I was just trying to have a good at-bat. I knew it was going to happen as he was coming in. Everybody knew they were going to make a big deal about it because he's supposed to be the next phenom or whatever. I was just tuning it all out and focusing on having a good at-bat, and I swung at a couple of bad pitches. I got myself out."Uh-huh, sure you did Mr. backup catcher to a guy barely hitting .200.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
MLB Tonight on Chapman's debut:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11591511

camisadelgolf
09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/429194/ChapmanSL2.gif

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
That's the nastiest slider I've seen since Randy Johnson in his prime. I can't stop watching the highlights of his outing.

George Anderson
09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
That's the nastiest slider I've seen since Randy Johnson in his prime. I can't stop watching the highlights of his outing.

It seems like everyone is talking about his velocity as they well should but that slider really stuck out to me more than the velocity.

Brutus
09-01-2010, 03:13 PM
It seems like everyone is talking about his velocity as they well should but that slider really stuck out to me more than the velocity.

That's what Hanigan said too. Basically that if Chapman gets ahead of hitters with the fastball, the slider will be the game-changer.

Matt700wlw
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Heat in the hundreds and a slider in the low to mid 80s is absolutely sick. You thought Tony LaRussa was complaining before? Wait until this weekend.

medford
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Heat in the hundreds and a slider in the low to mid 80s is absolutely sick. You thought Tony LaRussa was complaining before? Wait until this weekend.

I fully expect, following the first out the Chapman makes vs the Cards, if the game is tight, that Tony Doubleday to ask the refs to inspect the ball or some sort of trickery to attempt to get in Chapman's head. Of course, maybe Chapman's could be thrown off so much that the next pitch gets away from him and a 100+ mph heater lands squarely in someone's back. I'm sure the Card's players would appreciate TLR for that move

membengal
09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Still giddy.

Maybe giddier, even.

Griffey012
09-01-2010, 11:02 PM
I can't wait to see Chapman get a swing and a miss on the slider, while the pitch hits the batters back knee.

Screwball
09-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Poor Lucroy. He just keeps getting himself out over and over and over...

George Anderson
09-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I can't wait to see Chapman get a swing and a miss on the slider, while the pitch hits the batters back knee.

Dead ball strike for those wondering at home.

No advancement to first.

To many people don't know that rule.

reds44
09-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I want to see Chapman against Pujols this weekend.

11larkin11
09-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I'd like to see him get ahead with that slider. He hasn't thrown it for a strike yet, but thats mainly because he hasn't had to. If he's got a night where he can't get his fastball over, he's gotta show he can get ahead with the slider.

Matt700wlw
09-01-2010, 11:58 PM
These AIN'T your same ol' Reds. This is something that can be good for a while....a machine of sorts.

Matt700wlw
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm curious....not like really needs one, but does Chapman have a third pitch? I thought one of those offspeed pitches was a curve, but maybe it was just an absolutely disgusting slider. A slurve, perhaps?

The Operator
09-02-2010, 12:02 AM
I thought he was working on a changeup in ST. May be wrong on that, though.

Homer Bailey
09-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I thought he was working on a changeup in ST. May be wrong on that, though.

I've read he's just working fastball/slider in the pen, but when he returns to starting, he will work in the change.

Matt700wlw
09-02-2010, 12:17 AM
SABR says his fastest pitch was 103.9

I can't comprehend that.

Matt700wlw
09-02-2010, 12:17 AM
SABR says his fastest pitch was 103.9 - 6 of 7 fastballs were between 101 and 103. The other was 98.

I can't comprehend that. I watched it....but I can't comprehend it.

blumj
09-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Eckersley:
That's a legitimate piece of hundred mile an hour hair.
I thought he was going for the cheese with hair, but I think he got a little ahead of himself.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 12:52 AM
I'd like to see him get ahead with that slider. He hasn't thrown it for a strike yet, but thats mainly because he hasn't had to. If he's got a night where he can't get his fastball over, he's gotta show he can get ahead with the slider.

He threw a slider for a called strike tonight.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm gonna say it. Aroldis Chapman's fastball/slider combo is every bit as nasty as Randy Johnson's was.

And his changeup projects as a future plus pitch.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 01:35 AM
From John Fay:

“I’m really happy to have my first victory in the big league and I feel really proud about it.

“All I wanted to do was get to here and be part of the best baseball in the world. Now that I’m here, my job is to keep myself here.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/09/01/chapman-changed-the-energy-in-the-park/

oregonred
09-02-2010, 01:48 AM
A caller asked the Marlins President (David Samson who is a lightning rod here locally but actually a stand up guy that comes on the Marling flagship every Wed for almost an hour) this afternoon why the Marlins wouldn't have signed Chapman, especially given the Cuban factor and desperate need for a local impact.

The response was with a bit of hesitation, that the Marlins really wanted him and the scouts assigned a value and that the Reds offer was simply way out of their reach. The host added and that it was a good question he has the best pure "arm" in baseball and hitting 103-105 was insane. The Marlins Prez then said you can't trust radar guns and he needed to see more validation and that "Sid Finch" was the only guy he'd ever heard of that could hit 105. Then he quickly wanted to move to the next question. LOL, at the Sid Finch reference, that was a pretty good one.

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Great article from Jon Morosi:

“I’ve never faced a lefty that’s throwing 103,” Brewers infielder Craig Counsell said. “I don’t think any of us have, really. He’s doing something we’ve never seen.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Pitching-phenom-Aroldis-Chapman-brings-excites-to-Cincinnati-Reds-fans-090110

medford
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM

I thought a couple of the swings & misses (or at least 1) on the slider in game 1 were strikes according to f/x as well?

camisadelgolf
09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
It was by Celia Cruz. Maybe it was called "La Vida Es Un Carnaval"?

NJReds
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I thought a couple of the swings & misses (or at least 1) on the slider in game 1 were strikes according to f/x as well?

It's hard to tell because the slider breaks so much. He threw one that looked like it would be outside/middle and it ended up behind the hitter's back foot. He got a swing and a miss.

In fact, the only pitches that he threw last night that missed badly were the 103 MPH fastballs in the dirt. It looks like that happens when he overthrows.

I would think that Price would work with him to harness the fastball. I think his first pitch was 98 MPH at the knees. Darn near unhittable. If he got control of the fastball in the 98-100 range, I don't see the need to try to crank it up to 105.

VR
09-02-2010, 04:08 PM

And it had the break of a curveball.

Just flat out nasty.

traderumor
09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
A caller asked the Marlins President (David Samson who is a lightning rod here locally but actually a stand up guy that comes on the Marling flagship every Wed for almost an hour) this afternoon why the Marlins wouldn't have signed Chapman, especially given the Cuban factor and desperate need for a local impact.

The response was with a bit of hesitation, that the Marlins really wanted him and the scouts assigned a value and that the Reds offer was simply way out of their reach. The host added and that it was a good question he has the best pure "arm" in baseball and hitting 103-105 was insane. The Marlins Prez then said you can't trust radar guns and he needed to see more validation and that "Sid Finch" was the only guy he'd ever heard of that could hit 105. Then he quickly wanted to move to the next question. LOL, at the Sid Finch reference, that was a pretty good one."Checking the guns" defense doesn't work in Traffic Court either.

redsmetz
09-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Don't know if anyone else posted this, but here's a piece from the NY Times today

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/sports/baseball/02kepner.html?_r=1&ref=sports

membengal
09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Interesting thread to read on a Cardinals forum (Gateway Redbirds) about Chapman:

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42489&start=0

OUReds
09-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Interesting thread to read on a Cardinals forum (Gateway Redbirds) about Chapman:

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42489&start=0

Looks like a pretty standard Cardinals thread to me, they all assume his arm will fall off because, well, they want it to.

membengal
09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Not all of them. The first page or two were relatively level-headed.

edabbs44
09-02-2010, 07:25 PM
"Checking the guns" defense doesn't work in Traffic Court either.

Keith Law had an interesting quote in his chat today on this topic. Basically saying if you have a guy throwing 95 and have 10 guns on him, 4 would show 95, 2 would show 113, 2 would show nothing and 2 would show 92-93.

traderumor
09-02-2010, 11:37 PM

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42489&start=0There you are, my friends, the best fans in baseball. So knowledgeable, they even cheer when the opposing batter pine tars his bat.

dougdirt
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Keith Law had an interesting quote in his chat today on this topic. Basically saying if you have a guy throwing 95 and have 10 guns on him, 4 would show 95, 2 would show 113, 2 would show nothing and 2 would show 92-93.

And that is why we use Pitch F/X for major leaguers....

OnBaseMachine
09-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Tony LaRussa actually had something positive to say about the opposition. From Jeff Fletcher:

Tony LaRussa's one-word summation of Aroldis #chapman: "Legit." #reds #stlcards

http://twitter.com/JeffFletcherAOL

Albert Pujols on Chapman:

"He's a guy that has a lot of promise," Pujols said. "If he stays healthy, he's going to have a great career."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300904124

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 02:23 AM
According to brooksbaseball.com (and everyone watching the game), Chapman was squeezed by the umpire today. Five of his pitches were called balls despite being in the strikezone.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation.php-pitchSel=547973&game=gid_2010_09_04_cinmlb_slnmlb_1&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=.gif

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=9&day=4&year=2010&game=gid_2010_09_04_cinmlb_slnmlb_1%2F&pitchSel=547973&prevGame=gid_2010_09_04_cinmlb_slnmlb_1%2F&prevDate=94

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Article from Scott Miller:

"It's beautiful," Phillips said. "Chapman brings us energy coming into the game. He keeps us on our feet. You wonder how hard he's going to throw. That's exciting.

"You've got to have excitement in the game of baseball because a lot of people think it's boring. When someone throws 100 every time he pitches, I think that's very exciting.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/13882941/chapmans-tripledigit-pitches-spell-excitement-for-reds

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Another article on Chapman:

Krivsky saw Chapman in March. He says the difference is profound. "He's not rushing," Krivsky said. "His arm and body are in much better sync. The Reds have done a good job with his delivery. What strikes me most, though, is his composure. The place is going nuts, flashbulbs popping, crowd standing up, he acts like he's pitching in a simulated game.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/09/02/chapman/#ixzz0ydn5pMDc

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
From Ken Rosenthal:

A scout who witnessed Chapman’s first two outings remarked, “The National League playoffs just changed.”

“Everyone was there going, ‘Uh-oh,’” the scout says. “All you can say is, ‘Uh-oh.’”

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/would-derek-jeter-take-less-money-to-help-new-york-yankees-contend-090610

membengal
09-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I had missed that OBM, thanks for the heads up.

Also some words from Pujols on Votto in that same piece.

OnBaseMachine
09-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Chapman's first seven appearances with the Reds:

6.2 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 9 K, 0.00 ERA, 12.15 K/9, 2.70 BB/9, 92.3 GB%, 7.7 LD%, 12.00 GB/FB.

Pretty amazing.

HeatherC1212
09-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I got to see Chapman pitch during the marathon 12 inning game this past Friday night and boy was he impressive. He was hitting triple digits for strikes and spun one of the Pirates hitters practically into the ground with his slider! It was SO cool and even though I would have rather seen the game end in regulation with a win for Homer Bailey (he was rock solid for 7 innings), I was thrilled we got to see Chapman pitch since I hadn't seen him yet. :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2010, 12:19 AM
7.2 ip, 4 h, 2 bb, 11 k, 0.00 era, 13.75 k/9, 2.5 bb/9, 13.00 gb/fb

MikeS21
09-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm still gonna be real ticked if the powers that be turn Chapman into a closer. The Reds need a #1 TOR starter, and Chapman could be that guy. I understand the wisdom of breaking him in via the bullpen. I just don't want to get used to him there.

I cringe when I see all the calls for Chapman to replace CoCo. I know Chapman can do better than CoCo, but I think Chapman can help the team more by being that true TOR ace needed. I know the Reds need a replacement for CoCo, but there are others who can do the job. I would rather see Volquez converted to closer, rather than Chapman.

Homer Bailey
09-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Reds did not pay Chapman all that money for him to pitch 80 innings a year. I think we have zero reason to believe the Reds won't use him as a starter next year.

IslandRed
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I cringe when I see all the calls for Chapman to replace CoCo. I know Chapman can do better than CoCo, but I think Chapman can help the team more by being that true TOR ace needed.

Speaking just for myself, but undoubtedly for others, I'm hoping Chapman replaces Cordero as closer for the playoffs, and then becomes the rotation ace next year and beyond (aka the David Price plan). I mean, he's already in the bullpen for the rest of this season, so it's just a matter of which inning he's going to pitch.

Tornon
09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Speaking just for myself, but undoubtedly for others, I'm hoping Chapman replaces Cordero as closer for the playoffs, and then becomes the rotation ace next year and beyond (aka the David Price plan). I mean, he's already in the bullpen for the rest of this season, so it's just a matter of which inning he's going to pitch.

Or the Adam Wainwright plan

Slyder
09-17-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm still gonna be real ticked if the powers that be turn Chapman into a closer. The Reds need a #1 TOR starter, and Chapman could be that guy. I understand the wisdom of breaking him in via the bullpen. I just don't want to get used to him there.

I cringe when I see all the calls for Chapman to replace CoCo. I know Chapman can do better than CoCo, but I think Chapman can help the team more by being that true TOR ace needed. I know the Reds need a replacement for CoCo, but there are others who can do the job. I would rather see Volquez converted to closer, rather than Chapman.

Please Reference Price, David from Tampa Bay or Wainright, Adam for what we are likely to see in the near future of one Chapman, Aroldis.

The Operator
09-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Speaking just for myself, but undoubtedly for others, I'm hoping Chapman replaces Cordero as closer for the playoffs, and then becomes the rotation ace next year and beyond (aka the David Price plan). I mean, he's already in the bullpen for the rest of this season, so it's just a matter of which inning he's going to pitch.Bingo.

He's already in the pen for the rest of this year, we might as well use him in the best way we can. And IMO, that's as the closer.

As for next year, I'd like to see Walt try and acquire Soria from KC to be our closer. But that's a topic for a different thread, so I digress.

membengal
09-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Edinson Volquez's brand of filth tonite has been pure. That TOR hammer we all want? He still may be in house, if EV can carry that forward into 2011. Gracious.

And, he's gotta be in the conversation for the rotation in October too, I would guess. Since coming back from Dayton, he appears to have addressed whatever mechanical issues were dogging him, anyway.

membengal
09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Grade A filth.

Will M
09-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Edinson Volquez's brand of filth tonite has been pure. That TOR hammer we all want? He still may be in house, if EV can carry that forward into 2011. Gracious.

And, he's gotta be in the conversation for the rotation in October too, I would guess. Since coming back from Dayton, he appears to have addressed whatever mechanical issues were dogging him, anyway.

very good news. i am cautiously optomistic both for the postseason & beyond.

OnBaseMachine
09-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Name a starting pitcher with three better pitches than Edinson Volquez. It will be hard to find one. The only thing that separates Edinson Volquez from Felix Hernandez, Roy Halladay, and other elite pitchers is consistent command/control. IMO, Volquez's stuff is as good as anyone's in baseball.

VR
09-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Name a starting pitcher with three better pitches than Edinson Volquez. It will be hard to find one. The only thing that separates Edinson Volquez from Felix Hernandez, Roy Halladay, and other elite pitchers is consistent command/control. IMO, Volquez's stuff is as good as anyone's in baseball.

You'd be hard pressed to match his nastyness. He has to find a way to harness that, cuz when he's on...he's freaky good.

nemesis
09-22-2010, 02:43 AM
EV's has #1 stuff. So does Chapman. If both of them can harness it, those guys going on back to back days is just gonna be sick. Just imagine Cueto being the #3 starter as good as he has been this year... the #4 and #5 spot will be rounded out by competition among Bailey, Wood and Leake. All of whom have Legit #2 or 3 stuff. Honestly they way the season has progressed Bailey and Wood have moved past Leake on my depth chart.

Putting Leake in AAA to start the year next season is starting to look like a real possibility.

EV
Chapman
Cueto
Bailey
Wood

That's a lot of guys who misses bats.

Just sick amounts of potential.

fearofpopvol1
09-22-2010, 02:55 AM
EV's has #1 stuff. So does Chapman. If both of them can harness it, those guys going on back to back days is just gonna be sick. Just imagine Cueto being the #3 starter as good as he has been this year... the #4 and #5 spot will be rounded out by competition among Bailey, Wood and Leake. All of whom have Legit #2 or 3 stuff. Honestly they way the season has progressed Bailey and Wood have moved past Leake on my depth chart.

Putting Leake in AAA to start the year next season is starting to look like a real possibility.

EV
Chapman
Cueto
Bailey
Wood

I think Cueto will always edge out Volquez and Chapman because his control has always been good. Not quite as electric, but still well above average with the control.

Also, what would you do with Leake?

reds44
09-22-2010, 03:02 AM

EV
Chapman
Cueto
Bailey
Wood

I think you'll see the Reds do what the Rays did with Price and send Chapman to AAA for the first couple months of the season. As great as Chapman has been out of the pen, he was still a work in progress as a starter.

Don't forget Arroyo can be brought back next year.

Cueto, Volquez, and Wood are the locks. I think Arroyo will be back as the veteran, and Chapman starts the year in AAA. That leaves Bailey and Leake for the 5th spot in the rotation. Bailey, IIRC, is out of options.

I really don't want to see us deal Bailey because one of our greatest strengths this year was the depth of our rotation. That means you either send Leake to AAA as well to start the season or you slide Bailey to the pen.

Will M
09-22-2010, 03:24 AM
I think you'll see the Reds do what the Rays did with Price and send Chapman to AAA for the first couple months of the season. As great as Chapman has been out of the pen, he was still a work in progress as a starter.

Don't forget Arroyo can be brought back next year.

Cueto, Volquez, and Wood are the locks. I think Arroyo will be back as the veteran, and Chapman starts the year in AAA. That leaves Bailey and Leake for the 5th spot in the rotation. Bailey, IIRC, is out of options.

I really don't want to see us deal Bailey because one of our greatest strengths this year was the depth of our rotation. That means you either send Leake to AAA as well to start the season or you slide Bailey to the pen.

Volquez - coming back from injury.
Leake, Wood, Chapman - rookies.
Bailey - wasn't able to build up his innings this year.
That leaves only Cueto as a reasonable bet for 200 ip in 2011.
imo the Reds need Arroyo to eat those innings in a quality fashion.

a seven deep staff is a nice issue to have

nemesis
09-22-2010, 03:28 AM
a seven deep staff is a nice issue to have

Your a 100% correct.

But where do you stash these guys?

I am in the not to pick up Arroyo's option camp. Too many quality arms to spend $12 Million on Arroyo. Still if they do pick up the option who goes?

Do you put Chapman and Leake in AAA to build up innings next year or do you trade one of Wood, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Leake for something of need to free up one spot for Chapman?

SS, LF, Closer?

reds44
09-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Your a 100% correct.

But where do you stash these guys?

I am in the not to pick up Arroyo's option camp. Too many quality arms to spend $12 Million on Arroyo. Still if they do pick up the option who goes?

Do you put Chapman and Leake in AAA to build up innings next year or do you trade one of Wood, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Leake for something of need to free up one spot for Chapman?

SS, LF, Closer?
Cordero will be the closer next year and the Reds are going to trade Alonso in the offseason for either a LFer or SS.

Outside of LF and SS, this team just doesn't have a lot of needs.

bucksfan2
09-22-2010, 09:38 AM

Its never been a "stuff" issue with Edinson. Its been whats going on in between his ears that has been the issue. It happened last night when he was cruising until he got to the 6th inning. Luckily he got out of 6th and 7th inning jams with only one run.

traderumor
09-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Its never been a "stuff" issue with Edinson. Its been whats going on in between his ears that has been the issue. It happened last night when he was cruising until he got to the 6th inning. Luckily he got out of 6th and 7th inning jams with only one run.I don't think its mental, I think he gets out of his mechanics in the middle of games or sometimes never finds them. His good stuff arises from a lot of moving parts in his windup and delivery, not to mention he struggles with his release point pitch by pitch. I think he is on the high end of the range for "feel" pitcher, and it results in inconsistency.

RFS62
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't think its mental, I think he gets out of his mechanics in the middle of games or sometimes never finds them. His good stuff arises from a lot of moving parts in his windup and delivery, not to mention he struggles with his release point pitch by pitch. I think he is on the high end of the range for "feel" pitcher, and it results in inconsistency.

I think Edinson is a classic example of a pitcher pitching himself back into form. He's had a long layoff, and no matter how good you are, your timing and rhythm take a while to re-establish. In baseball, that equates to command.

It happens in all sports. It just takes a while to get back to top form after long layoffs.

I think he's going to be better than ever, but I still expect some fits and starts along the way.

OnBaseMachine
09-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I think he's going to be better than ever, but I still expect some fits and starts along the way.

I think so too. His curveball is already much, much better than it was before the surgery. He now has three plus pitches compared to the two before the injury.

camisadelgolf
09-22-2010, 11:56 PM
I think so too. His curveball is already much, much better than it was before the surgery. He now has three plus pitches compared to the two before the injury.
Before the injury, he was throwing a slider. Now he throws a curve instead.

Chip R
09-22-2010, 11:57 PM

He's right, it is much better now. ;)

OnBaseMachine
09-23-2010, 12:00 AM

He threw a curveball too but it wasn't a very good pitch at the time. Now it's a plus pitch. At last check, Volquez was getting swings and misses on 20% of his curveballs.

Chip R
09-23-2010, 12:48 AM
He threw a curveball too but it wasn't a very good pitch at the time. Now it's a plus pitch. At last check, Volquez was getting swings and misses on 20% of his curveballs.

20% of the time, it works every time.

http://media1.firebox.com/pic/p2291ex3.jpg

camisadelgolf
09-23-2010, 10:09 AM
I have no idea how he holds the ball, but I'd call it more of a slurve now.

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Chapman threw 25 pitches tonight, all of which were clocked at 100 mph or higher, including one at 105 mph.

From Kevin Goldstein:

Enberg on Chapman: "I've never seen anything like it and saw Nolan Ryan throw a couple of no-hitters."

http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein

Brutus
09-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Chapman threw 25 pitches tonight, all of which were clocked at 100 mph or higher, including one at 105 mph.

From Kevin Goldstein:

Enberg on Chapman: "I've never seen anything like it and saw Nolan Ryan throw a couple of no-hitters."

http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein

Unfortunately that kind of stuff won't cut it as a starter. He needs to start trusting his slider and come up with a good pitch. Otherwise, he'll be better suited for the bullpen.

And believe me, I want him to be a starter pretty badly.

dougdirt
09-25-2010, 02:22 AM
105.1 MPH according to Pitch F/X. I believe that is the fastest pitch ever recorded from PFX and is absolutely the fastest once since they moved the 'start MPH' to 50 feet (they tinkered with it at 55, 50 and 45 feet in the past before settling on 50 feet).

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately that kind of stuff won't cut it as a starter. He needs to start trusting his slider and come up with a good pitch. Otherwise, he'll be better suited for the bullpen.

And believe me, I want him to be a starter pretty badly.

Come up with a good pitch? His slider is his best pitch, it's filthy. He's not the one calling the pitches.

Brutus
09-25-2010, 02:26 AM
Come up with a good pitch? His slider is his best pitch, it's filthy. He's not the one calling the pitches.

I meant good third pitch. Sorry for the confusion.

He isn't calling the pitches, but he's definitely shaking some of them off. So he's just as much to blame as Hanigan was.

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2010, 02:31 AM
I meant good third pitch. Sorry for the confusion.

He isn't calling the pitches, but he's definitely shaking some of them off. So he's just as much to blame as Hanigan was.

According to everything I've read, his changeup is a quality pitch, he just doesn't throw it out of the bullpen.

Chapman is throwing his slider 27.7% of the time. That seems like a decent number to me. I was surprised by all the fastballs tonight too but he's mixed it up well in previous outings, IMO.

guttle11
09-25-2010, 02:34 AM
When you're throwing 104-105 for just one turn through the order against guys that have never seen you, you don't need another pitch. They ain't catching up.

Brutus
09-25-2010, 02:39 AM
According to everything I've read, his changeup is a quality pitch, he just doesn't throw it out of the bullpen.

Chapman is throwing his slider 27.7% of the time. That seems like a decent number to me. I was surprised by all the fastballs tonight too but he's mixed it up well in previous outings, IMO.

Of all qualified pitchers in the majors, according to Fangraphs, only two pitchers are throwing a higher percentage of fastballs than Chapman is right now. And that was before tonight when he was 25 for 25.

Throwing a slider 27% is decent, but not when you don't have any other pitches.

He's got to, absolutely got to start throwing a third and possibly fourth pitch if he has any chance of reaching his potential as a starter. Otherwise, say hello to your closer.

Brutus
09-25-2010, 02:39 AM
When you're throwing 104-105 for just one turn through the order against guys that have never seen you, you don't need another pitch. They ain't catching up.

Yes, but that is exactly why I led with the statement, "that won't cut it as a starter."