PDA

View Full Version : Very fun read

redsmetz
08-31-2010, 07:57 AM
I'll probably have to go to confession for having so much glee in reading the comments on this Cardinals game thread on a fan board. Actually, they're making RZ sound downright sunny from prior years comments on a sinking Reds ship. The worst thing that happened to Cardinals fans this year was the Redbirds sweeping us.

Normally I wouldn't be thsi way, but this couldn't happen to a nicer team. This is delicious:

http://www.cardsclubhouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23904&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

"Bless me, Father, for I have sinned..."

redsmetz
08-31-2010, 08:00 AM
A couple of highlights: "Hey, Brandon Phillips - my apologies. You were right this time." and "Bruce decided to STOP hitting HRs, and instead settled for a walk-off single."

Redhook
08-31-2010, 08:04 AM
I love it!

redhawkfish
08-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Good stuff!

redsmetz
08-31-2010, 08:15 AM
BTW, this feeling for me about the Cardinals really has to do with this season alone and their antics in the last month or so. As I've said, my wife grew up a Cardinals fan and her most of her family are Cards fans. Other than my father-in-law griping about Brandon Phillips ("he should be thrown out of baseball" - really, Ted? they didn't even throw Juan Marichal out when he hit Johnny Roseboro with a bat - my thought, not my words), I had some good conversations with folks when we were out there. Funnest was with my wife's younger brother:

You're up what, 3 games?
No, 3 1/2.
No, it's 3 games

About 20 minutes later: Did you play on our off day and win? Yes, Jim, 3 1/2.

But this season's Cardinals team, I can't stand. They've acted all season like the division championship was their birthright and have shown us no respect whatsoever. Believe you should be champs, but acknowledge when someone's giving you a run for your money.

So, I'm happy as can be. Lets just keep winning and let the crybabies do what they do best.

Blimpie
08-31-2010, 08:54 AM
That is good stuff over there.

Choke on it, Cardinal fan.

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2010, 09:11 AM
For me, I'm gonna enjoy the Cardinals' misery....but the snide comments, I'll pass. Karma is a ruthless, blood-sucking (insert Phillip's term here) and I'd rather not piss her off.

Homer Bailey
08-31-2010, 09:12 AM
For me, I'm gonna enjoy the Cardinals' misery....but the snide comments, I'll pass. Karma is a ruthless, blood-sucking (insert Phillip's term here) and I'd rather not piss her off.

Agree 100%.

membengal
08-31-2010, 09:16 AM
thanks for the link and heads-up, rm...I do this as well, Viva El Birdos and the StL Post Dispatch forums are my usual lurking reads. I like El Birdos because that's a smart crew over there and their anger at Lagenius is palpable. The PD forum is fun because everything is seemingly written in knee-jerk anger. Not just in the game threads. Every thread. Like if someone has a thought, they start a thread, whether there are already 21 threads on that topic on the same page or not.

redsmetz
08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
thanks for the link and heads-up, rm...I do this as well, Viva El Birdos and the StL Post Dispatch forums are my usual lurking reads. I like El Birdos because that's a smart crew over there and their anger at Lagenius is palpable. The PD forum is fun because everything is seemingly written in knee-jerk anger. Not just in the game threads. Every thread. Like if someone has a thought, they start a thread, whether there are already 21 threads on that topic on the same page or not.

I was very impressed with the El Birdos site. You're absolutely right that it is a smart forum.

Tommyjohn25
08-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Here's a nice little gem I found there.

I think it is also time to recognize that the Reds have a pretty dang good team, and they don't even have Chapman on the club yet. Cincinnati is built to be good for a few years. The Cardinals run on top of the division could be over.

redsmetz
09-01-2010, 07:47 AM
In retrospect, I don't feel bad for the St. Louis Cardinals team; they deserve what they're getting. But I am feeling sorry for most of their fans, who like our own fans, are pretty good folks. This Cardinals collapse strikes me as far more jarring than what we've endured because in most years, it really wasn't much of a surprise, even though our hopes were being dashed. So for the Cardinals fans, I don't want to revel in your misery. The team itself and their manager, keeping falling.

Strikes Out Looking
09-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Here's today's gem off their board:

"Maybe McGwire should start passing out PEDs -
(why is he our hitting coach)?

Because TLR has a man crush on him."

Strikes Out Looking
09-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Here's today's gem off their board:

"Maybe McGwire should start passing out PEDs -
(why is he our hitting coach)?

Because TLR has a man crush on him."

membengal
09-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Here are the links for El Birdos (again, a smart blog) and the Post Dispatch forums:

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=641e0a4b7e9094b19efb855ba7445d6f

Remember, its better to lurk and read than to post and taunt. Don't be that person...

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Actually, they're making RZ sound downright sunny from prior years comments on a sinking Reds ship.

As I've said before, Reds fans and Cardinals fans are very similar. Maybe that why there is so much hatred... who knows. The Cities are similar, the organizations both have so much history and tradition, and the fanbase is very similar.

These comments on Cardinals boards are nothing new. You would think the Cardinals ship is sinking every year, even when they are in first place. The hatred for LaRussa has been there ever since he became Manager of the Cardinals.

redsmetz
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
As I've said before, Reds fans and Cardinals fans are very similar. Maybe that why there is so much hatred... who knows. The Cities are similar, the organizations both have so much history and tradition, and the fanbase is very similar.

These comments on Cardinals boards are nothing new. You would think the Cardinals ship is sinking every year, even when they are in first place. The hatred for LaRussa has been there ever since he became Manager of the Cardinals.

Matty, my father-in-law, never lacking for an opinion, can't stand Tony LaRussa and he despises Dave Duncan even more. Other than the Phillips remark, he was rather taciturn about the subject this year.

I've never generally understood "hatred" of other team's fans. Even the Cubs. What I hate is the disrespect their fans show when in Cincinnati, but we stopped that in the last series because our fans showed up. Castellini intimated that at RedsFest last December. I paraphrase, but it basically was "if you don't want that happening, buy up the tickets." Every ballpark we've gone to this season (Fenway, Nats and Wrigley), the fans have been stupendous. At Fenway, we were rooting for them since we didn't have a dog in the fight, plus there's Youk, but at DC and Chicago, we were at Reds games. But I'm fairly amiable and love yacking with folks at the ballpark (My wife: "Could you just be with us please?" - that's hard for me, it's like asking me not to breath, I'm off the charts extroverted).

Anyway, I sympathize for the most part with Redbird fans. But the club itself has shown us no respect. That's all I've asked for.

traderumor
09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Funny you mention Castellini, Redsmetz. I was thinking last night about the mockery of his "the losing stops now" last year and how those types of comments have abruptly disappeared with this playoff run. I think what I am learning from message board life is that fans may be more fickle than politicians. ;)