PDA

View Full Version : Name the Reds foul balls or HR balls you have caught

redssince75
08-31-2010, 10:40 AM
(Inspired by another thread).

The only Reds foul ball is in fact my only MLB ball caught.

1992 or 93, Shea Stadium, Mets-Reds. Sitting on the mezzanine level on 3rd base side, Luis Quinones lined a foul shot directly up to me, I caught it cleanly. The game was on TV and I found out later I was on camera waving the ball like you see guys do.

Some guys sitting by me tried to pressure me to give it to a kid I didn't know. "Give the ball to the kid!!" The only foul ball I've caught in my life, and from a Red no less, you think I'm going to give it to a stranger and a Mets fan??!! No way.

As I type the ball is sitting across from me on my desk.

:cool:

KOBasinger
08-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Let me guess, inspired by the one I just created?;)

Nice job on the ball though. The closest I came to was last night when it came straight at us but there was a guy sitting right in front of us who cleanly caught it.

redssince75
08-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Let me guess, inspired by the one I just created?;)

Yup. But somehow live balls seemed a different topic than BP balls.....lol.

KOBasinger
08-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Yup. But somehow live balls seemed a different topic than BP balls.....lol.

Yeah, I was just givin you crap for it:p:

They're a lot harder to get, that's for sure

roby
08-31-2010, 10:52 AM
I caught a foul ball hit by Tommy Helms back in Crosley Field. I was about nine yrs. old at the time. Back then, if you actually caught the foul ball and an usher saw it, they would send you an honorary contract with the Reds signed by the GM. Mine was signed by Bob Howsam. The only downside was...they misspelled my last name "R-O-L-Y."

redsfan_12
08-31-2010, 10:58 AM
The only one I ever caught was a Ryan Klesko one at Turner field. It was awesome because he was my favorite player growing up.

Then I almost caught two Saturday night :(. Valaika hit one through the opening in the concourse by the left field foul poll that a kid grabbed, and Tyler Colvin hit one and the guy caught it standing beside me in right field. If only i 6'1" lol.

mlh1981
08-31-2010, 11:15 AM
I caught a Ken Griffey Jr. batting practice home run on the fly at Petco Park back in 2007.

redssince75
08-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I was just givin you crap for it:p:

They're a lot harder to get, that's for sure

True. But there is something easier. When I lived in KC our company used to have tickets 1st row right where the opposing dugout stepped out from the field, and often coaches stood there during the game. One night against the Texas Rangers I took my 2 young kids and we got about 5 balls handed to us...one by Orel Hershisher.

Orodle
08-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Eric Davis spring training HR ball

Captain13
08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
None. I did get Wily Mo Pena to throw me a ball when he played in Louisville. :rolleyes:

JoseRijo059
08-31-2010, 12:26 PM
I caught a Bronson Arroyo foul ball in Pittsburgh earlier this year... but this little kid, probably like 4 years old, in front of me had been talking to his dad about catching a foul ball all game long, so I felt pretty much obligated to give it to him. Only foul ball I've ever caught.

RedsLvr
08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Caught a foul ball down the right field line in 2001 at Riverfront Stadium that was hit by Michael Tucker.

Caught a Junior home run ball out it right field, he later signed it for me. :)

And I also caught a David Ortiz home run ball out in Cleveland during batting practice. Was during the playoffs, and the shot was upper deck.

Captain13
08-31-2010, 12:32 PM
I caught a Bronson Arroyo foul ball in Pittsburgh earlier this year... but this little kid, probably like 4 years old, in front of me had been talking to his dad about catching a foul ball all game long, so I felt pretty much obligated to give it to him. Only foul ball I've ever caught.

Sir, you are a true gentleman. :thumbup:

justincredible
08-31-2010, 12:46 PM
I caught a BP HR off the bat of Furcal when he was still with the Braves a few years ago at GABP.

I also snagged a roast beast sandwich shot from an air cannon between innings during the final year of Riverfront.

RedsLvr
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I also snagged a roast beast sandwich shot from an air cannon between innings during the final year of Riverfront.

Haha, that would be my favorite thing to catch.

justincredible
08-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Sir, you are a true gentleman. :thumbup:

Agreed. I am of the opinion that all foul balls caught must be given to a kid if there is one in your vicinity.

HRs are a different story, especially if they are milestones.

justincredible
08-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Haha, that would be my favorite thing to catch.

I didn't end up eating it. The pressure had pretty much annihilated the bun and it was just a soggy glob of meat and bread. :)

chettt
08-31-2010, 12:57 PM
My homerun catch. It was Mother's Day about 4 or 5 years ago (ESPN Sunday Night Baseball). Reds & Dodgers. I caught Jason Phillips' grand slam. I was sitting in the 1st row in leftfield. I was on ESPN News, every half hour for a 24 hour period. NO, I did not throw it back (I'm not a Cub fan). Yes, I still have it. It took me 41 years to get my first. The next year I caught a foul ball - very uneventful.

chettt
08-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Agreed. I am of the opinion that all foul balls caught must be given to a kid if there is one in your vicinity.

HRs are a different story, especially if they are milestones

__________________________________________________ _______________

All foul balls are given to kids is the ballpark rule at all home games for the Ogden Raptors. Ogden, UT. Rookie league team for the LA Dodgers.

code
08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
I caught a pratice ball from Brandon Phillips last year when they played the Indians at home.

PhillipsHead
08-31-2010, 01:30 PM
I got Jim Leyland to toss me a ball back in 1997 when he was the Marlins skipper for their title team, back at old Qualcomm Stadium (now exclusively the Chargers venue)

bounty37h
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
My best is the one that got away. Final game of 84 World Series, there with my dad for BP in right filed, Gibson gets a hold of one and I catch it off the bounce. Dude comes up and takes it from my glove after I got it, I was in 5th grade, not much I could do but stomp on his glasses that fell off his head when he pushed into me. I hope he at least couldnt see the game after that with his broken glasses.

redssince75
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM

I guess I don't get this and I couldn't disagree more. And I consider myself a very nice guy.

A kid in my family or traveling party attending the game -- of course. Some stranger's kid? Not in a million years. I'm 43 and have caught exactly ONE foul ball in my life. And I'm going to give it away to some kid??? No way. (I feel the same way about throwing a HR back on the field like Cubs fans. Idiots.)

It seems to me equivalent to finally getting a hole in one in golf (I never have), then finding a kid and saying, "here, you write down 1 on your scorecard and get your picture in the paper." Not gonna happen.

justincredible
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
All foul balls are given to kids is the ballpark rule at all home games for the Ogden Raptors. Ogden, UT. Rookie league team for the LA Dodgers.

Good rule.

justincredible
08-31-2010, 02:08 PM
I guess I don't get this and I couldn't disagree more. And I consider myself a very nice guy.

A kid in my family or traveling party attending the game -- of course. Some stranger's kid? Not in a million years. I'm 43 and have caught exactly ONE foul ball in my life. And I'm going to give it away to some kid??? No way. (I feel the same way about throwing a HR back on the field like Cubs fans. Idiots.)

It seems to me equivalent to finally getting a hole in one in golf (I never have), then finding a kid and saying, "here, you write down 1 on your scorecard and get your picture in the paper." Not gonna happen.

IMO, it's not even close to the hole in one scenario. That's a once in a lifetime personal achievement. I can go buy a baseball for $5 if I really want one and catching a foul ball isn't that big of a deal. Giving it to a little kid is going to make his day (or summer, even).

I'm 27, have caught exactly ZERO foul balls, and wouldn't hesitate to give it to a kid even if I didn't know them.

redssince75
08-31-2010, 02:14 PM
IMO, it's not even close to the hole in one scenario. That's a once in a lifetime personal achievement. I can go buy a baseball for $5 if I really want one and catching a foul ball isn't that big of a deal. Giving it to a little kid is going to make his day (or summer, even).

I'm 27, have caught exactly ZERO foul balls, and wouldn't hesitate to give it to a kid even if I didn't know them.

Well growing up I didn't live near a city with a ML team. I went to a grand total of 2 MLB games before I was an adult. I still don't go to that many as an adult. So I guess I see catching a game ball much closer to hole-in-one than you do. I know anyone can buy a ball for $5 -- if the kid wants one, he should go do that. Or I'll even buy one for him if he asks, but he's not getting my game ball. :thumbup:

justincredible
08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Well growing up I didn't live near a city with a ML team. I went to a grand total of 2 MLB games before I was an adult. I still don't go to that many as an adult. So I guess I see catching a game ball much closer to hole-in-one than you do. I know anyone can buy a ball for $5 -- if the kid wants one, he should go do that. Or I'll even buy one for him if he asks, but he's not getting my game ball. :thumbup:

I've only lived in Cincinnati for the past 3 years. Before that I was 2.5 hours away from the Reds and had gone to only 2 games in my first 18 years (also a couple Indians games so maybe 5 total pro baseball games).

Now, your certainly free to do whatever you want with a foul ball after you catch it but I'll definitely be booing you if you keep it and break a little kids heart. ;)

redssince75
08-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Now, your certainly free to do whatever you want with a foul ball after you catch it but I'll definitely be booing you if you keep it and break a little kids heart. ;)

If a kid expects a stranger to give him a baseball and his heart is broken if he doesn't get it......no offense, but that kid is a moron. lol

bounty37h
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM

I dont think it should be a setrule, everyone has their choice and value on it. But, from the times I have given balls away, the sight of a kid excited about it beats it sitting on my shelf, IMO. I got a foul ball at a Bulls/bats game a month or so back and gave it to a kid who was hanging around, and he was so excited it made me enjoy it more.

Old NDN
08-31-2010, 02:33 PM
I caught one @ Crosley field when I was 14. Joe Nuxhall pitching, Maury Wills batting. The best part (besides the honorary contract) was the ball had a big gob of spit on it! When it dried, it had a big tobacco juice type stain on it. In later years, I met Joe a few times, and related my story to him. He admitted to throwing the spitter often. He said the last one he threw, Richie Allen hit it out of Veterans Stadium.
On a side note, my dad had taken me to the game to visit with Marv Breeding, 2B of the Dodgers, during pre-game BP. I had met him a few years prior, when he played Legion ball with my uncle in Alabama. I'm sure my autograghed "Marv Breeding" glove was instrumental in me making the catch.
I also got one in Lakeland, Fla. Spring game between Tigers and Reds. Pete Rose hitting lefty against the Underwood brother that pitched lefthanded. Why, IDK. Pete sliced it foul down leftfield line. It bounced off a "big" guy's chest and right into my hands. It was Pete's last year with the Reds before free agency. When Pete came back as a manager, I was able to get it signed by him. Oh, the memories!!

bounty37h
08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
I got a foul ball hit by George Brett his last season, down in Plant City.

justincredible
08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
I dont think it should be a setrule, everyone has their choice and value on it. But, from the times I have given balls away, the sight of a kid excited about it beats it sitting on my shelf, IMO. I got a foul ball at a Bulls/bats game a month or so back and gave it to a kid who was hanging around, and he was so excited it made me enjoy it more.

Yeah, I agree that it shouldn't be a ballpark rule. It's just a personal rule of mine. I don't need a baseball, my wife will just yell at me for cluttering up the house, and the amount of joy it would give a little kid is far greater than any pleasure I'll get out of throwing it in a box in the basement.

I do like how it's a rule at the minor league park, though.

topsyt
08-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Caught Home run ball hit by Jeff Keppinger of the Astros last year. Fired that sucker back to Chris Dickerson who got rid of it.

Usher brought me "I threw one back at GABP" inscribed ball. Haven't thrown a ball since-decided I only throw with major leaguers now! ;)

justincredible
08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Caught Home run ball hit by Jeff Keppinger of the Astros last year. Fired that sucker back to Chris Dickerson who got rid of it.

Usher brought me "I threw one back at GABP" inscribed ball. Haven't thrown a ball since-decided I only throw with major leaguers now! ;)

Haha, really? That's hilarious.

1990REDS
08-31-2010, 04:16 PM
If a kid expects a stranger to give him a baseball and his heart is broken if he doesn't get it......no offense, but that kid is a moron. lol

Some would say that any adult male over the age of 30 who is excited to catch a insignificant foul ball is also a moron. not messin, just sayin:p:

mlh1981
08-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Some would say that any adult male over the age of 30 who is excited to catch a insignificant foul ball is also a moron. not messin, just sayin:p:

Have you ever read Zack Hample's blog, then? :p:

1990REDS
08-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Have you ever read Zack Hample's blog, then? :p:

No I havent, got a link?

mckbearcat48
08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
I got an Austin Kearns foul ball when I was up at Riverfront/Cinergy Construction Yard.

mlh1981
08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
No I havent, got a link?

He kinda makes a living out of it, is also an author, and has charitable purposes behind his actions.

Also, lots of great photos of various stadiums. Very interesting guy.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/

Kingspoint
08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
On the same topic, I always make sure I sit between home-plate and the kids, wife, girlfriend, elderly person, etc..

I find it appalling when grown men fail to recognize the dangers of foul balls (and homeruns) and don't act pro-active when it comes to protecting their own family (or any other child (behind them, in front of them).

So many fail to pay attention, or when the ball is coming they dodge out of the way, try to bare-hand it or something that won't get them hurt, and instead some child, gal, or elderly person gets hurt by a foul-ball or homerun.

justincredible
08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
On the same topic, I always make sure I sit between home-plate and the kids, wife, girlfriend, elderly person, etc..

I find it appalling when grown men fail to recognize the dangers of foul balls (and homeruns) and don't act pro-active when it comes to protecting their own family (or any other child (behind them, in front of them).

So many fail to pay attention, or when the ball is coming they dodge out of the way, try to bare-hand it or something that won't get them hurt, and instead some child, gal, or elderly person gets hurt by a foul-ball or homerun.

You mean like that idiot in (I think) Houston that let his girl get hit by the ball and claimed he lost it in the light? Dude jumped out of the way at the last second and it pegged her, luckily, in the arm. If you lose it in the lights that's fine, but you gotta cover your girl!

Kingspoint
09-01-2010, 12:08 AM
You mean like that idiot in (I think) Houston that let his girl get hit by the ball and claimed he lost it in the light? Dude jumped out of the way at the last second and it pegged her, luckily, in the arm. If you lose it in the lights that's fine, but you gotta cover your girl!

Like Casey said on the broadcast tonight...."You take one in the chest if you even think there's a possibility that it might hit a child behind you (or someone else who's defenseless)".

I've taken one in the chest before. I've taken one in the arm before. Both to make sure it doesn't hit someone less able to take the impact.

redssince75
09-01-2010, 06:58 AM

I would hope I never stop getting excited at foul balls, even at 80.....

bounty37h
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM

I watched last year as a mom moved out of the way of a bat coming in the stands at Bulls game, only to leave her young child open for a full blow direct to the head. Know it was likely just instinct to move out of way of somethingcoming for your dome, but that kid took a heck of a shot, never saw or heard how they were, but he had to be taken away by medical staff.

bounty37h
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM

By the way, thas big of oyu to sit between your wife and girlfriend :thumbup: J/k.

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Caught a Brett Boone foul ball a long time ago. Only one I caught.

brachial pleXUs
09-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Griffey foul ball back into the club seats right in front of Danny Graves's wife's box. (Terrific seats that my dad's friend let us use quite often. I knew the usher by name. Yeah, it was that awesome.)

My dad got a Brad Wilkerson ball in the same spot at another game that season. I don't remember what season it was, but it was so long ago that Wilkerson was still on the Expos and Todd Van Poppel was pitching for the Reds. Unfortunately, Dad's friend's company went under, and the seats were the first luxury item to go.

Dad still gets seats occasionally from his Budweiser sales rep, and last month, he caught a Brandon Phillips foul.

Sean_CaseyRules
09-02-2010, 09:21 PM
When Danny Graves broke the record for most saves as a Red, he threw the ball into the stands and I caught it. Then the next day I had Sean Casey sign it. It's super special to me.

BamaRed
09-03-2010, 04:12 PM
My only one, Ken Griffey 1977 Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.