PDA

View Full Version : Cards v. Reds--The differences

mckbearcat48
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
It's come down to the last month of the season, and here's a Card fan's observations about the two teams.

1--The Reds bring it every night. Cardinals have been really inconsistent.
2--Dusty Baker has done a great job this year, and Tony's moves haven't worked. An example is moving Bruce to leadoff, where all he does is drop bombs.
3--The Reds have gotten more production out of their non-stars than the Cardinals.
4--The Reds seem to be very sound fundamentally, while the Cardinals make some bonehead mistakes that cost them games.
5--The elite players on both teams are playing well, but the Reds depth this year is the difference. When they put in a bench guy, he succeeds.

If the Reds win, I'll congratulate them on a job well done and get ready for a different kind of Red October.

mlh1981
08-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the sound, unbiased insight.

Do you think LaRussa returns?

redssince75
08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
4--The Reds seem to be very sound fundamentally, while the Cardinals make some bonehead mistakes that cost them games.

Defensively the Reds are pretty sound, but we do make our own boneheaded mistakes a LOT -- especially baserunning. Fortunately, like last night, they are boneheaded mistakes that aren't costing us a lot of games.

mckbearcat48
08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
mlh...I think so. He's not going to go out on a down year. If they make the playoffs somehow, he might step away, but not in a .500 season.

cw0802
08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
It's come down to the last month of the season, and here's a Card fan's observations about the two teams.

1--The Reds bring it every night. Cardinals have been really inconsistent.
2--Dusty Baker has done a great job this year, and Tony's moves haven't worked. An example is moving Bruce to leadoff, where all he does is drop bombs.
3--The Reds have gotten more production out of their non-stars than the Cardinals.
5--The elite players on both teams are playing well, but the Reds depth this year is the difference. When they put in a bench guy, he succeeds.

If the Reds win, I'll congratulate them on a job well done and get ready for a different kind of Red October.

1. Agreed.
2. Dusty has done a great job. LaRussa lost two starting pitchers and a starting 3rd baseman for the year. Replacing those players with Jeff Suppan and Lopez/Feliz....he's also been stupid and got rid of one of his most productive bats in Ludwick for Westbrook...christ shoot me now.
3. Very true. our non-stars have sucked hard.
4. I would say more so that our bullpen decides to say "i'm going to throw this one right down the pipe at 80mph...let's see what happens?!"
5. The Reds to have tremendous depth...the Cards have traded their depth away for crappy pitching and Matt Holliday.

MikeThierry
09-01-2010, 02:50 AM
This has been one of the most baffling years of managing from TLR I have seen since he has been here. In the past, I have never seen one game where he has been out manged by Dusty. This year, Dusty has matched him in several games. If the Cards do not make the playoffs, LaRussa is gone this year. I think they need to go outside the organization instead of hiring someone within who uses the same philosophy of LaRussa.

I'm not as critical with Mozalik over the trades as a lot of people are. It was clear that we needed a starting pitcher and Westbrook was the most viable option considering the depth within the organization. The Ludwick traded was predicated on the idea the Freese was coming back. The only thing I can think of calling it was bad luck. We trade Ludwick then Freese gets injured again and he was out for the year. If we knew Freese would have been out for the year, the Ludwick trade does not happen. Westbrooke has given the Cardinals a chance to win in every single game, which is what we were not getting from Suppan and Hawksworth. If we would have not got Westbrooke, Cardinal nation would be complaining about Hawksworth and Suppan not pitching well. I also think getting Feliz was the most viable option. There weren't a lot of quality 3rd basemen out there to be traded for. So far he has hit well as a Cardinal and has played a very solid 3rd base.

I think the most damning thing about this season is TLR's lineup decisions. With Ludwick being traded, Rasmus became a key cog in this lineup. Yet TLR seems to have problems putting him in the lineup due to attitude problems or what not. I look at Baker and I see him sticking with players even if their struggling such as Bruce and Stubbs. Outside of Pujols, Holliday, and Molina the players don't know when they are playing and are in a different spot in the lineup on a nightly basis.

RedsLvr
09-01-2010, 03:01 AM
Defensively the Reds are pretty sound, but we do make our own boneheaded mistakes a LOT -- especially baserunning. Fortunately, like last night, they are boneheaded mistakes that aren't costing us a lot of games.

The reds have the best base runners in the game.