PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Harang pitching tonight (8/31)

TeamBoone
08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
With all the buzz about Chapman, it seems Aaron's return has been overlooked. I, for one, can't wait to see him pitch. I hope he does well, not just for the team, but for himself as well

Go get 'em, Aaron!!

Brutus
08-31-2010, 06:20 PM
With all the buzz about Chapman, it seems Aaron's return has been overlooked. I, for one, can't wait to see him pitch. I hope he does well, not just for the team, but for himself as well

Go get 'em, Aaron!!

I'm excited about this too. I think Harang became so "overrated" he's become "underrated." It's like the Derek Jeter syndrome.

People have come to acknowledge and accept his flaws so much, people have forgotten the good qualities such as being a workhorse, keeping you in the game (i.e. rarely having 'blow up' performances) and being an experienced pitcher with the ability to get some good major league hitters out.

I am excited about this. The Reds were not gaining anything by running out there a pitcher giving 2-5 innings a start. Harang is a guy that should give 5-7 innings every time out, and even if he gives up 3-5 runs, that's a number this Reds' offense is capable of keeping match with.

_Sir_Charles_
08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm excited about this too. I think Harang became so "overrated" he's become "underrated." It's like the Derek Jeter syndrome.

People have come to acknowledge and accept his flaws so much, people have forgotten the good qualities such as being a workhorse, keeping you in the game (i.e. rarely having 'blow up' performances) and being an experienced pitcher with the ability to get some good major league hitters out.

I am excited about this. The Reds were not gaining anything by running out there a pitcher giving 2-5 innings a start. Harang is a guy that should give 5-7 innings every time out, and even if he gives up 3-5 runs, that's a number this Reds' offense is capable of keeping match with.

This, this and more this. Spot on Brutus.

HeatherC1212
08-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Go get those Brewers tonight, Aaron!! :thumbup:

Spitball
08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
In 18 career starts against the Brewers, Harang is only 5-5 with a 4.51 ERA. This isn't the same talented team he has faced in the past few years, so hopefully he will come back with a strong showing.

RedsManRick
08-31-2010, 07:01 PM
I think we've all more or less come to believe that he is/was toast. He certainly struggled prior to going on the DL, but even then, he wasn't as bad as you might think.

ERA FIP xFIP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 GB% FB% LD% BABIP LOB%
2010 5.02 4.51 4.33 6.7 2.5 1.4 37.7 40.6 22.8 .331 70.5
Career 4.30 4.13 4.04 7.5 2.5 1.2 38.0 39.5 21.4 .317 73.2

This is not a guy falling off a cliff. It's a guy who struggled with his mechanics, losing some bite on his out pitch and some of his command, leading him to miss fewer bats and get hit a bit harder than usual. The velocity is still there. He's just 32. I have no idea how he's going to pitch down the stretch. But I know we shouldn't discount the real possibility that he's going to be solid.

Always Red
08-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I'll be rooting hard for Aaron Harang tonight.

He was the Hoss on a bad team for so many years; I'm glad he's finally getting a chance to pitch for a winner.

Here's to hoping he makes the very best of the rest of this year. :beerme: