PDA

View Full Version : Players eligible for post season play

Hoosier Red
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
I know there are a lot of other threads dealing with eligibility issues, but I thought it might make sense to have a common list of every player who will be eligible to play on the post season roster.

Also two questions: 1) Is there any limitation on players who have recently been sent down being able to come up and take one of Arredondo or Lincoln's spots on the active roster? (Specifically Jordan Smith, Edison Volquez)
2) I believe rosters can be different for different post season series, what are the limitations with regards to switching back and forth?

In any event, here are the players eligible to be on the post season roster as I understand it.

Pitchers(16)
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Johnny Cueto
Homer Bailey
Travis Wood
Francisco Cordero
Arthur Rhodes
Nick Masset
Logan Ondrusek
Aroldis Chapman
Bill Bray
Sam Lecure
Russ Springer
Mike Leake
Mike Lincoln*
Jose Arredondo*
Position Players (15)
MVP
Brandon Phillips
Paul Janish
Scott Rolen
Ryan Hanigan
Ramon Hernandez
Johnny Gomes
Drew Stubbs
Jay Bruce
Chris Heisey
Chis Valaika
Miguel Cairo
Jim Edmonds
Laynce Nix
Orlando Cabrera

* Player is on 60 Day DL, can come off the DL and be eligible OR can be replaced by someone else at same position from 40 man roster to be replaced
Player is currently on 15 day DL, can come of the DL and be eligible but CAN NOT be replaced by someone else not currently on the 25 man active roster

Brutus
08-31-2010, 05:39 PM
The following players are eligible for the postseason:

Pitchers (16)
Bronson Arroyo
Homer Bailey
Johnny Cueto
Aaron Harang
Travis Wood
Jose Arredondo (or a pitching replacement because of 60-day DL)
Bill Bray
Aroldis Chapman
Francisco Cordero
Mike Leake (15-day DL)
Sam LeCure
Mike Lincoln (or a pitching replacement because of 60-day DL)
Nick Masset
Logan Ondrusek
Arthur Rhodes
Russ Springer (15-day DL)

Catchers (2)
Ryan Hanigan
Ramon Hernandez

Infielders (8)
Orlando Cabrera (15-day DL)
Miguel Cairo
Juan Francisco
Paul Janish
Brandon Phillips
Scott Rolen
Chris Valaika
Joey Votto

Outfielders (6)
Jay Bruce
Jim Edmonds (15-day DL)
Jonny Gomes
Chris Heisey
Laynce Nix
Drew Stubbs

That's 32 players available to fill 25 spots. Playoff rosters can be changed each series, meaning if the Reds got past the first round, their NLCS roster doesn't have to be the same as their divisional roster.

For the two 60-day DL spots (Arredondo & Lincoln), any pitcher that was in the Reds organization as of today is eligible to replace either of those two for the postseason roster. However, any pitcher must be on the 40-man roster, so unless the Reds were to make room for anyone in the minors, essentially the replacements would come from this list:

Jared Burton
Enerio Del Rosario
Carlos Fisher
Danny Herrera
Matt Maloney
Jordan Smith
Phillipe Valiquette
Edinson Volquez

In the next few days, the following Reds could be called up for September, but will not be eligible for the postseason:

Yasmani Grandal (who wouldn't be called up anyhow) and Yonder Alonso.

I kind of thought the Reds would transfer Russ Spring to the 60-day DL and add Corky Miller to the 40-man roster as a third catcher, while calling him up. They still may do that, but doing that after September 1 would not clear Miller for the postseason. They wouldn't likely carry a third catcher anyhow, so that won't be a major deterrent.

Hoosier Red
08-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey! Cheater. You went ahead and just made yours look all better than mine and answered all the questions which mine didn't.

How completely inappropriate. :p:

Mods, please lock up mine for failing to live up to Brutus' high standards. ;)

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85285

Brutus
08-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey! Cheater. You went ahead and just made yours look all better than mine and answered all the questions which mine didn't.

How completely inappropriate. :p:

Mods, please lock up mine for failing to live up to Brutus' high standards. ;)

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85285

LOL I guess great minds think alike. You get credit for being first though :)

Hap
08-31-2010, 06:49 PM
no Joey Votto? :eek:

Chip R
08-31-2010, 06:52 PM
no Joey Votto? :eek:

Position Players (15)
MVP

RED VAN HOT
08-31-2010, 08:22 PM
The legality of substituting for a player on the 60 day DL has been mentioned elsewhere, so it must be true. Still, it almost seems like a 'get out of jail free card.' I suppose a club could argue that they expected to activate player X from the 60 DL and use him to replace player Y on the active roster and eligible for post season. Then, when they determined that player X would not be healthy, they needed to replace Y with another player.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 08:42 PM
The legality of substituting for a player on the 60 day DL has been mentioned elsewhere, so it must be true. Still, it almost seems like a 'get out of jail free card.' I suppose a club could argue that they expected to activate player X from the 60 DL and use him to replace player Y on the active roster and eligible for post season. Then, when they determined that player X would not be healthy, they needed to replace Y with another player.

It is in fact legit. The only requirements is that a pitcher can only be replaced by a pitcher and a position player can only be replaced by a position player. Further, it's not so much a get out of jail free card from the standpoint that to purposely put someone on the 60 day DL, it means you would be adding someone to take his place on the 40-man roster (though you don't have to). But doing that means you'll have to expose someone to waivers during the offseason to get back to the requisite 40 protected players. So it's still a gamble.