PDA

View Full Version : Sliding infield defense

UPRedsFan
08-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Have you noticed the Reds infield has been making a habit of sliding defensive stops? I've seen Janish do it over and over going into the hole. He slides to his right, picks the ball and hops up quick to his feet to make the throw.

Votto and Rolen both did it tonight in the ninth (although Votto didn't exactly make it to his feet). Phillips has done it many times.

Not sure I've ever seen that move so much in the past from one team. Seems to be purposeful to be able to get to your feet quicker to make the throw - quicker than diving anyway. I wonder which one of them started that move and whether the others started copying.

Sure is fun to watch. What a defense with Bruce and Stubbs in the outfield too!

Kingspoint
08-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Have you noticed the Reds infield has been making a habit of sliding defensive stops? I've seen Janish do it over and over going into the hole. He slides to his right, picks the ball and hops up quick to his feet to make the throw.

Votto and Rolen both did it tonight in the ninth (although Votto didn't exactly make it to his feet). Phillips has done it many times.

Not sure I've ever seen that move so much in the past from one team. Seems to be purposeful to be able to get to your feet quicker to make the throw - quicker than diving anyway. I wonder which one of them started that move and whether the others started copying.

Sure is fun to watch. What a defense with Bruce and Stubbs in the outfield too!

For the last 15 years, I've wanted this team to be like this as they migrated away from it back in the early 90's to mid-90's. I love Defense. I think Defense is highly under-rated by most people, including most people in baseball. It makes every pitcher a better pitcher and gives everyone on the team more confidence. Obviously, you have to have some hitting, but I don't think it should be at the cost of sacrificing "overall" Defense. I said, "overall", because you could get by with one Adam Dunn or one Yonder Alonso in Left if the SS, 3rd Baseman and CenterFielder are all above average defensively to make up for it.

zacharync
08-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Pretty sure our current crop of players didn't invent this.

Vottomatic
08-31-2010, 10:54 PM
I think the Reds infield did invent the Defensive Slide.

Casper invented the Cha Cha Slide.

Marcia Griffiths invented the Electric Slide.

And Cupid invented the Cupid Shuffle.

But Reds players invented the Defensive Slide.

UPRedsFan
09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Whoever invented it, it's fun to watch.

Janish going into the hole and sliding to a stop is the best move though.

Much better than the Davey Concepcion / Derek Jeter running backhand and turnaround off balance jump throw.