PDA

View Full Version : Alonso Called Up

nemesis
08-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Alonso is on his way to Cincy as we speak.

Degenerate39
08-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Would he be available for the playoffs then since this is 8/31?

The Voice of IH
08-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Would he be available for the playoffs then since this is 8/31?

LOL:cool:

nemesis
08-31-2010, 11:05 PM
If the Reds use one of the 60 Day DL roster spots for him I believe so. I might misunderstand that rule though.

reds44
08-31-2010, 11:05 PM
I could see Alonso being on the playoff roster if he rakes in his chances to PH.

Reds1
08-31-2010, 11:06 PM
I think you are right. They can use 1 of 2 of their spots.

nemesis
08-31-2010, 11:08 PM
I could see Alonso being on the playoff roster if he rakes in his chances to PH.

If he can hit RHP at a .800 OPS clip for the rest of the year, I'll live with his lack of D in LF, heck I live with Gomes lack of D for a .691 OPS vs RHP.

RedsMan3203
08-31-2010, 11:08 PM
For the 60 Day DL option, it has to be for a pitcher...

Kinda like Eye for an Eye saying...

He will not be available for the playoffs.

reds44
08-31-2010, 11:10 PM

Did not know that, crap.

Degenerate39
08-31-2010, 11:10 PM

Then hopefully he'll help the Reds get to the playoffs

VR
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Then hopefully he'll help the Reds get to the playoffs

Isn't it still 8/31?

reds44
08-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Isn't it still 8/31?
He's coming up as a part of the September 1st moves.

Spitball
08-31-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure he deserves to be on the roster anyway. Chapman is one thing, but I'd hate to bump someone who has been on the roster throughout to place Alonso on the roster for a limited role. Role players have been vital to the Reds and deserve their due also.

blumj
08-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Isn't it still 8/31?
Whenever the exact deadline is, they'd have to put him on the 25 man roster before it. If they're not putting him on the 25 man roster until tomorrow, then he wouldn't be unless a position player is put on the 60 day DL who could be replaced by him.

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm confused, where is the link or confirmation of this?

LoganBuck
08-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Prior to the 2007 playoffs, rule changes were enacted about the position for position and pitcher for pitcher replacement rule. Unless those rules have been changed again, Alonso could indeed take up one of those spots.

RedsMan3203
08-31-2010, 11:27 PM
ctrent

#Reds to call up another Cuban-born player tomorrow, 1B Yonder Alonso

ctrent

also, coming up tomorrow for #Reds Carlos Fisher and Corky Miller

Thats it so far...

nemesis
08-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Yay Corky!!! The Division is ours!!! Lol.

Let him catch Harang. Call it a week.

Ghosts of 1990
08-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Ctrent is good enough for me. What a happy day.

Cyclone792
08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Corky and Fisher were givens. The Reds now have the freedom to use Hernandez/Hanigan off the bench with the extra catcher, and now we've got another long man in the bullpen to help give the others a blow.

Keep on loading up, boys.

Brutus
08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
RE: Alonso... he won't be eligible. As mentioned, you cannot replace a pitcher with the 60-day DL exception.

Further, even though the move might be done tonight, it has to take place before any game a player is eligible to play in to count toward the playoff eligibility. Since he was activated after tonight's game, it won't count.

nemesis
08-31-2010, 11:39 PM
I find it odd that Smith wasn't recalled for tomorrow. Maybe for the second round of call ups with Maloney?

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm glad to see Yonder get the call. He strengthens the bench from the left side.

Sea Ray
08-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Is Louisville going to the playoffs this year?

KronoRed
08-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Is Louisville going to the playoffs this year?

Yep, kind of a bummer for their fans that the Reds couldn't wait on guys who won't be on the playoff roster, not as if the Reds need them with the lead they have.

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Yep, kind of a bummer for their fans that the Reds couldn't wait on guys who won't be on the playoff roster, not as if the Reds need them with the lead they have.

I hope Louisville does well and I wish them the best, but I care more about the Reds than I do Louisville. If there are major league ready players on the Louisville roster who can help to the Reds then they need to be called up. Alonso potentially improves the Reds bench. I like the move. I hope to see a few other players called up too, including Wladimir Balentien.

Caveat Emperor
08-31-2010, 11:56 PM

You can never have too many bats with pop on the bench to pinch hit. Having Alonso available allows Dusty to hold better bullets in reserve.

As much as I hate to say it, Louisville's success or failure in the AAA playoffs is about 1,000,000th on my priority meter right now as a Reds fan.

corkedbat
09-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I do feel a little bad for the Bats and their fans, but I love seeing Walt stuff the bench and pen for the stretch. I hope Edmonds can make it back soon also.

sivman17
09-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Looking forward to seeing Alonso. He's been pounding the ball the past two months.

In 44 games since the AAA All-Star break he's hitting .335/.416/.561/.977 with 6 HRs, 17 2Bs, and 24 RBIs.

paulrichjr
09-01-2010, 12:16 AM

I would assume that this would not be true if there were an injury. I was thinking the replacement player would have to be on the 40 man roster but didn't necessarily have to be on the 25.

Brutus
09-01-2010, 12:19 AM
I would assume that this would not be true if there were an injury. I was thinking the replacement player would have to be on the 40 man roster but didn't necessarily have to be on the 25.

A replacement has to be...

A) in the organization on August 31
B) either a pitcher for pitcher or hitter for hitter

You can be added to the 40-man roster on the last day of September and be a replacement if you meet those 2 prerequisites

Tom Servo
09-01-2010, 12:30 AM
CORKY

Cedric
09-01-2010, 12:38 AM
If Alonso rakes the only way to get him on the playoff roster would be to 60 day DL Edmonds right?

nemesis
09-01-2010, 01:23 AM
If Alonso rakes the only way to get him on the playoff roster would be to 60 day DL Edmonds right?

On Nix.

Brutus
09-01-2010, 02:34 AM
BTW, I'm pretty sure, after some additional reading, that Alonso could still be available for the postseason if his activation was done by midnight. If the Reds specifically optioned someone out by midnight and activated Alonso, that would still qualify for postseason eligibility (hence the midnight trade deadline).

It seems that his call-up was in anticipation of being activated for Wednesday, but that might not necessarily be the case.

LoganBuck
09-01-2010, 06:11 AM
A replacement has to be...

A) in the organization on August 31
B) either a pitcher for pitcher or hitter for hitter

You can be added to the 40-man roster on the last day of September and be a replacement if you meet those 2 prerequisites

Not true, that rule was changed in 2007. The pitcher for pitcher, and player for player rule, was changed. That only applies to injury replacement AFTER the playoffs begin. Prior to the series there is no such requirement.

membengal
09-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Echo Cyclone.

All for loading up the bench for September. Alonso helps. Between he and Juan F., they have legit power all of a sudden to help.

LoganBuck
09-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Not true, that rule was changed in 2007. The pitcher for pitcher, and player for player rule, was changed. That only applies to injury replacement AFTER the playoffs begin. Prior to the series there is no such requirement.

Best link I could find on the topic
http://metsfever.blogspot.com/2008/09/playoff-roster-rules-change.html

cumberlandreds
09-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Corky to the rescue! :D

I'm anxious to see Alonso. I would put him in LF tonight and see what he can do. He can't be any worse defensively than Gomes.

Strikes Out Looking
09-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Corky to the rescue! :D

I'm anxious to see Alonso. I would put him in LF tonight and see what he can do. He can't be any worse defensively than Gomes.

Actually, I'd use him sparingly. I believe he is pretty much blocked from being an every day player and his biggest upside may be his trade potential. If he plays LF and plays less than desirable, that would hurt the trade value.

redsmetz
09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
So what 40 man roster move is being made to open a spot for Corky?

membengal
09-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Actually, I'd use him sparingly. I believe he is pretty much blocked from being an every day player and his biggest upside may be his trade potential. If he plays LF and plays less than desirable, that would hurt the trade value.

Would it? I assume most of his value is tied up in being a 1b. If he plays LF and can't, I don't know that would hurt his value since he is likely perceived as a 1b prospect. As long as he hits, he's going to retain his value, I suspect.

Caveat Emperor
09-01-2010, 08:03 AM
So what 40 man roster move is being made to open a spot for Corky?

Russ Springer to the 60-DL.

klw
09-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Russ Springer to the 60-DL.

Didn't they already do this? Will it be Edmonds to the 60 day?

durl
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm guessing the Volquez move also made some room, too?

bucksfan2
09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Could Volquez being sent down to Dayton be a factor in the Alonso call-up?

I thought Volquez and Nix were sent down in order to make room for Chapman and Harang.

medford
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM

As of yesterday, Springer was still on the 60 day DL. Since he's done for the year, its the obvious move. I don't know that Edmunds is out for the year or not, and I don't think they know either, so it has to be Springer.

W/ St Louis going this afternoon, the Reds should know the result of their game before the game begins. Should Jeff Supan go Jeff Supan and the Cards get swept, I wouldn't be opposed to Yonder getting a start at 1st tonight and giving Joey a night off. Would be tough to do w/ Cairo allegedy getting a start tonight (for Rolen I assume), and Jay and Phillips presumably out until friday (hopefully at the worst), but it would be nice to get Votto a 2 day rest for a charge into september.

redsmetz
09-01-2010, 09:10 AM

I think someone mentioned the other day that Spring was still showing on the 15 day DL, so that's probably the most likely move. My guess would be that they're hoping Edmonds can heal up, but that's just my guess.

_Sir_Charles_
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM

I don't get this. You mean if the scouts see him struggle defensively in the bigs his value goes down? Don't the scouts watch him in the minors too?

blumj
09-01-2010, 09:13 AM
I think someone mentioned the other day that Spring was still showing on the 15 day DL, so that's probably the most likely move. My guess would be that they're hoping Edmonds can heal up, but that's just my guess.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

I don't know how current they really keep this, though.

Edit: it still said Springer on the 15 day DL when I posted this, but now it says he's on the 60 day DL a little less than an hour later.

IslandRed
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
The "Better Off Red" blog said that Springer to the 60-day was the move.

traderumor
09-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Would it? I assume most of his value is tied up in being a 1b. If he plays LF and can't, I don't know that would hurt his value since he is likely perceived as a 1b prospect. As long as he hits, he's going to retain his value, I suspect.Exactly. Anyone looking at Alonso is looking for his bat, primarily. The D can be coached up. I recall Votto getting dinged for his D in the minors, and he is at least average to above average at the position.

medford
09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Exactly. Anyone looking at Alonso is looking for his bat, primarily. The D can be coached up. I recall Votto getting dinged for his D in the minors, and he is at least average to above average at the position.

I think Votto is above average at 1b now a days. It wouldn't surprise me to see his bat carry his defense to a gold glove this year.

I(heart)Freel
09-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Brewers are throwing a lefty out there tonight.

Much as I wish this would be an Alonso/Francisco night at 1st/3rd, to give Votto/Rolen two days off, I don't know that they do it.

Raisor
09-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Corky Miller's mustache is back in the majors where it belongs.

lollipopcurve
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Corky Miller's mustache is back in the majors where it belongs.

I expect we'll see his nag tied to the dugout railing tonight, too.

redsmetz
09-01-2010, 10:01 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

I don't know how current they really keep this, though.

I just checked the transactions now and it's effective today, moving Springer to the 60 Day DL, Corky taking that slot.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to platoon Alonso and Gomes in LF?

Gomes vs. LHP = .877 OPS (.884 career)
Alonso vs. RHP (MiL -AAA '10) = .858 OPS (1.000+ OPS in 2nd half)

Questions about playoff roster....

1. Do I have this right that you can have 28 on your playoff roster if three members of the 40-man are on the 60-day DL (or 27 if two are on 60-day, etc.)?

2. If Alonso does well, Edmonds would seems a logical move to the 60-day DL (to get Alonso on the playoff roster), right?

3. Does Volquez have any chance to make the playoff roster now?

4. When Cabrera comes off the DL, who gets moved off the playoff roster? Valaika? If so, he can still play out the season with the big club, right?

5. What about Leake? Is he done?

backbencher
09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Brewers are throwing a lefty out there tonight.

Much as I wish this would be an Alonso/Francisco night at 1st/3rd, to give Votto/Rolen two days off, I don't know that they do it.

I think that today calls for the ultimate Sunday Special. Votto, Rolen, Bruce, Phillips on the bench.

Welcome to the bigs, Yonder.

medford
09-01-2010, 12:50 PM
1) Don't know
2) Could be a possibility, or Nix I suppose
3) I assume he could be one of the 60 day DL replacements that were mentioned as a possibility for Chapman, so I think he can still be on the playoff roster if worthy
4) I don't think they have to make that decision right away, so they've got time to figure it out. Could go w/ more bats for the playoffs and keep both on the playoff rostr
5) Leake can make the playoff roster, but unless the Reds clinch early I don't see him pitching a ton of innings the rest of the season. Would be nice to get him a couple of starts at the end of the year, mixed in w/ a couple of bullpen sessions prior to that to build up his innings a bit more this season. IIRC, he's fallen a little short of his ideal projected innings, but that's probably not a bad thing. May limit him a bit next year, but they have plenty of options right now for next year to take innings, so I'd like to think long term and have him at his full stride in season 3.

Screwball
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I think that today calls for the ultimate Sunday Special. Votto, Rolen, Bruce, Phillips on the bench.

Welcome to the bigs, Yonder.

Votto's in the middle of a heated chase for the MVP and also an elusive Triple Crown title. Dusty's made it clear in the past that he cares about individual accolades for his players. No way Votto sits at this time of year unless he phsycially just can't go.

Hoosier Red
09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to platoon Alonso and Gomes in LF?

Gomes vs. LHP = .877 OPS (.884 career)
Alonso vs. RHP (MiL -AAA '10) = .858 OPS (1.000+ OPS in 2nd half)

Questions about playoff roster....

1. Do I have this right that you can have 28 on your playoff roster if three members of the 40-man are on the 60-day DL (or 27 if two are on 60-day, etc.)?

2. If Alonso does well, Edmonds would seems a logical move to the 60-day DL (to get Alonso on the playoff roster), right?

3. Does Volquez have any chance to make the playoff roster now?

4. When Cabrera comes off the DL, who gets moved off the playoff roster? Valaika? If so, he can still play out the season with the big club, right?

5. What about Leake? Is he done?

1. You can't have 28 on your playoff roster. You can only have 25 players activated for each series. However the three players on the 60 day DL means that someone not on the 25 man "active" roster will still be eligible to play in the playoffs. However if you move say Edison Volquez into the playoff roster, someone else has gots to go.

2. Yes, that would seem to make sense, though I don't know if there are limitations on putting someone on the 60 day DL just to make a player not on the active roster eligible. And again, if Alonso is active, someone else is not.

3.Yes. I believe he can join the 25 man active roster for any series.

4. When Cabrera comes back I don't think they have to remove anyone from the "active" roster. So Valaika would still be eligible for the playoffs if they decide to keep him instead of maybe an 11th or 12 pitcher.

5. Leake may be done, but he is eligible to return to the roster at any point once his 15 days are up.

backbencher
09-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Votto's in the middle of a heated chase for the MVP and also an elusive Triple Crown title.

Exactly why you rest him. Let the kid breathe before a long, stressful September.

Screwball
09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Exactly why you rest him. Let the kid breathe before a long, stressful September.

He will tomorrow during their off day. Sorry back, but I respectfully disagree with your stance. He'll turn 27 in a few days and is in the prime of his career. The home stretch of a pennant/MVP chase just isn't the time to be giving your best player (who's in his mid-twenties) a day off. Not when every hit, home run, RBI and, most importantly, Win is magnified.

HeatherC1212
09-01-2010, 01:41 PM

They're off tomorrow. I can't see Joey wanting or needing any rest right now just as his bat is heating up again and with the team having that off day tomorrow.

Cedric
09-01-2010, 01:44 PM
You don't take days off in September. Pujols isn't going to miss a game and Joey won't either unless we clinch.

Jpup
09-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Now is the time to put your foot on their throats. No off days for anyone not named Scott Rolen.

BearcatShane
09-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Wait a minute. I know the Reds are up 7.5 games but you don't take your foot off the throat until you clinch. And the Reds are also battling for the best record in the N.L. which would give the home field advantrage in the playoffs. I liked Jeff Brantley's line yesterday, the only reason to take your hands off the throat of the Cradinals is to get a better grip.

edabbs44
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Exactly. Anyone looking at Alonso is looking for his bat, primarily. The D can be coached up. I recall Votto getting dinged for his D in the minors, and he is at least average to above average at the position.

What if he gets flat out mowed down by major league pitching?

Brutus
09-01-2010, 06:30 PM

I've got a copy of the Major League Rules (Rule #40) and you are correct after I went back and looked at it again. They did change that rule to where the replacement position doesn't matter if it's before the start of the playoffs.

I(heart)Freel
09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Respectfully, there is something to be said for having a rested core at the top of their game for this looming 20 game stretch and reserves who aren't rusty.

There's a balance, in other words. I don't think you can say "don't relent until they clinch" without considering that a couple off days for the starters could result in a better weekend in St. Louis and a better roadtrip in general.

11larkin11
09-01-2010, 06:37 PM
And remember, homefield through the playoffs includes the WS this year

BearcatShane
09-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Okay, I havent read the whole thread, but could Alonso be on the postseason roster?

Brutus
09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Okay, I havent read the whole thread, but could Alonso be on the postseason roster?

It is possible.

nemesis
09-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I liked Jeff Brantley's line yesterday, the only reason to take your hands off the throat of the Cardinals is to get a better grip.

This is why I love Brantley.

Joseph
09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Big difference between his debut and Chapmans.