PDA

View Full Version : Happiest Day as a Reds Fan Ever

jimbo
09-01-2010, 12:12 AM
It wasn't just about Chapman that made me feel this way tonight, but tonight was just a culmination of the entire season. Votto getting his typical timely hits, Rolen showing us he is the leader that he is, Harang coming back after two months off and giving the team a chance to win, etc. etc. Chapman was just the icing on the cake, and oh my that was some pretty good icing.

I was sitting at my local bar sipping a beer, and had actual goosebumps watching Chapman pitch. The hairs were standing on my arm. We are seeing something very special this season. Go Reds!!!!!!

Roush's socks
09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Agree. Any Reds fan who isn't excited right now is either too cynical, apathetic, or just comotose.

Vottomatic
09-01-2010, 12:15 AM
The thing about Chapman is it just feels good to have some magical player on our team. You watch other teams acquire these type of players and dream and wish we had one. Then it comes true and he didn't let us down. It was very impressive.

I felt like I was watching a magical moment in mlb history tonight.

Kingspoint
09-01-2010, 12:26 AM
All I can say is,

"Wow! This team is good."

Parliament
09-01-2010, 01:46 AM
I think all Reds fans across the country are beaming tonight!

webbbj
09-01-2010, 02:01 AM
couldnt agree more

ThornWithin81
09-01-2010, 02:23 AM
I think these good feelings are going to last into November.

TheBigLebowski
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
7 game lead.....Chapman.....Votto.....hard not to be irrationally exuberant.

rolenmvp
09-01-2010, 08:35 AM
this is the happiest I've been in quite a while. we got ourselves a pretty great team, votto?? can't say enough. MVP?? we will see. and that rolen trade is looking pretty nice isn't it. all I got to say is let's finish off this homestand with a sweep and go into st louis all business and win 2 out of 3 and maybe put this out of reach.

Captain13
09-01-2010, 08:38 AM
I can't say happiest day ever, but it was pretty darn good. It is the most excited I've been about the team since '05, and the most excited I've been about a young player since '86 (some local kid named Larkin). AWESOME!!!:D

Spazzrico
09-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I must say I'm pretty excited. But I am still reserving some final exultation until the magic # is 0.

I think it is partly a reflection of a spate of problems closing on my new house, which is now delayed two weeks on a super-lame technicality (supposed to close yesterday). And I'm stuck in a hotel with a 8 month pregnant wife. So baseball-wise I'm just assuming a total collapse and will be thrilled when it doesn't happen. Call me a pessimist. :)

mlh1981
09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
This is my team, and these are my memories. Not old enough to TRULY remember the '95 team, definately don't remember the 90 team, and wasn't alive to see the Big Red Machine.

Biff Pocoroba
09-01-2010, 10:36 AM
OP was born in the same year as me! Were you not a Reds fan from birth?

Yesterday was fantastic but it sure as heck doesn't beat the feeling after Game 7 of the 75 World Series or the sweeps of the Yanks and the A's in 76 and 90. Dang, the night the A's fans were taunting Sabo with "Hey Captn America what are you going to do?" And he showed them what. Tom Seaver's no-hitter eclipsed Chapman's debut too. Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's record. Speaking of Rose, I remember him almost losing his hit streak to Steve Carlton but the Reds got enough guys on base in the 8th and 9th innings to give him one last shot - and he bunted for a base hit....

DaytonFlyer
09-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Nothing beats the '90 World Series. Or really that whole season.

But this has been right up there. Probably better than '95, because nobody expected it.

Chapman just adds to the anticipation factor. Finally, maybe we can be good again on a regular basis and forget about the lost decade.

will5979
09-01-2010, 11:10 AM
This is my team, and these are my memories. Not old enough to TRULY remember the '95 team, definately don't remember the 90 team, and wasn't alive to see the Big Red Machine.

Luckily and thankfully I can add this to the list of my teams and memories...I was only 6 when Pete broke Cobb's record but that is my first baseball memory watching it with my dad in our den, I was at the 1990 NLCS (with my dad again) when we beat $hittsburgh to go to the World Series, I was at the 1995 NLDS(with my dad again) when we swept LA, now I hope to be at my first World Series (with my dad again) in Cincinnati this year.

Baseball is a special bond you can pass on to your children, I have already achieved it with my 4 year old!

will5979
09-01-2010, 11:13 AM
But this has been right up there. Probably better than '95, because nobody expected it.

This is definitely better than 1995, that year had to be one of the biggest postseason disappointments in Reds history. The team dominates the regular season, dominates LA in the NLDS, and lay a complete egg against Atl. in the NLCS, sad because that was our last true chance (up until this year) to win the World Series, I'm convinced we would have beat the hell outta the 95 Indians.

Jeff
09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
The thing about Chapman is it just feels good to have some magical player on our team. You watch other teams acquire these type of players and dream and wish we had one. Then it comes true and he didn't let us down. It was very impressive.

I felt like I was watching a magical moment in mlb history tonight.

I know what you are saying but I'm sure other teams would want players like Votto and Phillips too.

New York Red
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I think all Reds fans across the country are beaming tonight!
Beaming here in upstate NY! Going to the Vermont State Fair shortly. I'll be the one in the Joey Votto jersey.

GO REDS! :beerme:

UPRedsFan
09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I can't wait to see how they play against Carp and Wain this weekend.

Just have the feeling they can't be stopped right now.

jimbo
09-01-2010, 12:46 PM
OP was born in the same year as me! Were you not a Reds fan from birth?

Sure I was, but as a young kid I didn't have the love for the Reds as I do now. I remember little about BRM, and when I was a teenager and in my 20s I was more worried about where the next party was going to be than how the Reds were doing.

The 1990 season was great, but again, I just wasn't into the Reds from a fan standpoint as I am now. I may have gone a bit overboard last night saying what I did because I was in the moment, but it sure is the happiest I've been as a Reds fan for as long as I can remember.

shan12stones
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
i am happy because the reds are in first place and i'm seeing them this weekend at busch stadium.

krm1580
09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
In the summer of 2008 I was watching Josh Hamilton ripping home runs off the fascade in Yankee stadium during the home run derby and he had the baseball world buzzing. All I could think of was what a huge opportunity the Reds had missed out on. They finally had a guy who could generate interest from casual fans, more importantly get us some nationally televised games and exposure - and we traded him away. :(

Well last night my "what could have been" moment got turned into "what could be" moment. I think it is awesome that in addition to winning the Reds suddenly have the next big thing. My hope is that he continue to pitch well this year and his transition starting goes well. I look back at how every other Strausburg start was nationally televised and maybe the same thing will happen with Chapman

Hustleman
09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
i think the day we traded for griffey edges this one out barely but i'm hopeful the chapman experience exceeds the griffey experience

Biff Pocoroba
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Sure I was, but as a young kid I didn't have the love for the Reds as I do now. I remember little about BRM, and when I was a teenager and in my 20s I was more worried about where the next party was going to be than how the Reds were doing.

The 1990 season was great, but again, I just wasn't into the Reds from a fan standpoint as I am now. I may have gone a bit overboard last night saying what I did because I was in the moment, but it sure is the happiest I've been as a Reds fan for as long as I can remember.

fair enough Jimbo. fair enough. Hopefully this current squad can ultimately pull something off that eclipses (or at least equals) each of those thrills I listed above.

webbbj
09-01-2010, 10:49 PM
yesterday was my happiest day as a reds fan now today is my happiest day as a red hopefully friday, saturday and sunday will become my favorite days as a reds fan.

webbbj
09-29-2010, 03:43 AM
safe to say last night was the happiest day as a reds fan