PDA

View Full Version : What will be considered success for this year?

LawFive
09-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Definitely don't want to count the proverbial chickens, but a 7 game lead with 30 to go most likely means playoff time! For a team that had so much hope, yet uncertainty at the beginning of the year...what final outcome would you consider to be a success??

CarolinaRedleg
09-01-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm not one to get greedy. Playoffs for the first time in 15 years -- and the foundation in place for a sustained run -- is plenty. More is just icing.

Hopefully 2010 is the appetizer.

Edd Roush
09-01-2010, 10:42 AM
At the beginning of the season, I would have said a winning record is enough.

Now, I think I need to see the Reds make the playoffs. Looking at the BP playoff odds report, it would be pretty devastating to me to see the Reds miss the playoffs with a 97% chance of making it.

Anything else is just great, but I can't get mad at this team for even getting swept in the first round. A division crown would be enough for me.

Tommyjohn25
09-01-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm not one to get greedy. Playoffs for the first time in 15 years -- and the foundation in place for a sustained run -- is plenty. More is just icing.

Hopefully 2010 is the appetizer.

This sums up my feelings exactly. Well said.

Az Red
09-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Its been a great year of baseball. Never thought playoffs were possible. Winning season was a step in the right direction. Now, I'm hoping they at least get to NLCS.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree I feel like 2010 is the appetizer but there are many, many instances in sports where you say that about a team "this is only the beginning" and the appetizer year ends up being the main course or their best shot to win something. The truly great teams arrive a year or two ahead of schedule, I truly believe that.

REDREAD
09-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I considered this year to be a success in June, so I picked "winning record"

Great job by Walt, Cast, Dusty, and the players.

Cyclone792
09-01-2010, 11:29 AM
As the season progresses, "success" is a moving target for me.

Back in spring training, it was a winning record soundly with 83+ wins.

By the end of June, it was playoffs.

At this point, playoffs may not be enough for me. I see the pieces this team has assembled together, and I see so much more potential than an early playoff exit. I see a well-rounded, dynamic offense with the ability to score runs in a multitude of ways. Long balls, gap shots, walks, stolen bases, hit-and-run, first-to-third, you name it. I see a deep rotation, that while it lacks a top of the rotation hammer, is solid enough to hopefully keep the Reds in a lot of close playoff games to give themselves a chance. And I see one heck of a quartet bullpen hammer with Cordero-Masset-Rhodes-Chapman all hopefully being able to pitch well.

I put all that together, and I see so much more potential than merely winning the NL Central and playing a few LDS games. So long as the Reds keep playing well and holding off St. Louis, my measure of success for the playoffs may increase a bit beyond just being there.

TRF
09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I want it all.

And I want it now.

edabbs44
09-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Barring a historic collapse, this season has already been a success.

membengal
09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Poll doesn't quite work for me. It's a success now. But that's not enough for me at this point, as a collapse to miss the playoffs would really hurt given where they sit in the standings at this point.

Heath
09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I want it all.

And I want it now.

I am not really in the mood for a Queen song to represent the Reds Season.

;)

YouTube - I Want It All (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOdWxf1tRmI)

Roy Tucker
09-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Making the playoffs is plenty good for me. Anything else is gravy.

But I would like to see a good competitive showing. Seems to me that the Reds haven't really gotten much respect from the national press (and other ballclubs for that matter).

I'd like for them to see how well the Reds have played this year and appreciate how well they play the sport. I feel like the Reds are a baseball aficionados team in that they do many little things well that add up. They aren't a big splashy team.

redsmetz
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Making the playoffs is plenty good for me. Anything else is gravy.

But I would like to see a good competitive showing. Seems to me that the Reds haven't really gotten much respect from the national press (and other ballclubs for that matter).

I'd like for them to see how well the Reds have played this year and appreciate how well they play the sport. I feel like the Reds are a baseball aficionados team in that they do many little things well that add up. They aren't a big splashy team.

I agree with Roy completely. The memory of 1995 still sits with me. We swept the Dodgers and then looked horrible against the Braves. No one remembers we beat the Dodgers in the first round. All folks remember is us losing to the Braves and poor Reggie Sanders striking out ten times in that series. It was an awful playoff season for Reggie, he struck out 19 times in 32 AB's. Ouch.

macro
09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Wow, I'm really in the minority on this one. I'm going to be honest: I will be disappointed with anything less than a NL championship and World Series appearance. Fans tend to remember who was in the World Series and the team gets to be on that year's World Series highlight film. I think most people forget from one year to the next who played in the Division Series.

They've come too far and had too much success to be satisfied with just showing up. That would be fun for a week or two but would not carry much historical significance a few years from now.

If you're saying that a playoff appearance is enough with the expectation that seasons like this will become the norm, then don't count on it. This may be one of the few chances we have to experience another World Series. I don't think it will be, but you never know. After 1981 and 1988, I thought the Bengals had the world by the tail, and I thought the same thing after the Reds won it in 1990 and again after the 1995 and 1999 seasons. We see how those stories played out.

SunDeck
09-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I'll be thrilled with winning the division, and if they don't go deep into the playoffs I'll be disappointed. But I am going back to my original feeling about this team, which is to say that I felt optimistic this year about how they had been building the ballclub. All I've wanted is the knowledge that looking at the pitching line for a game would not lead to malaise, that the Reds could have a chance to win any game, against any team.

They've done that and I'm happy. Anything over and above is just icing on a very tasty cake. Now, ask me this question at the beginning of next season and I'll have higher expectations.

_Sir_Charles_
09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
In my eyes, this season is already a success. Everything from this point on...is gravy. I fully expect us to be even BETTER next season.

But just to be clear...I'm not "satisfied" with this season. I want more. It's been too much fun for it to stop now. I'll be "satisfied" with a World Series win. Anything else, I'm left with a feeling of wanting more. But since you said "success"...That's already happened in my eyes.

macro
09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
In my eyes, this season is already a success. Everything from this point on...is gravy. I fully expect us to be even BETTER next season.

But just to be clear...I'm not "satisfied" with this season. I want more. It's been too much fun for it to stop now. I'll be "satisfied" with a World Series win. Anything else, I'm left with a feeling of wanting more. But since you said "success"...That's already happened in my eyes.

That's a very good point. It's important to differentiate between "success", and "satisfaction/disappointment". I don't think I answered the question as asked with my earlier post (or perhaps with my vote). I agree that winning the division can easily be defined as success, but I won't be satisfied if they lose the LDS.

thatcoolguy_22
09-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I agree I feel like 2010 is the appetizer but there are many, many instances in sports where you say that about a team "this is only the beginning" and the appetizer year ends up being the main course or their best shot to win something.

1990?

I concur. I voted before I really put much thought into the question, and now I think its World Series or bust for the reasons stated above. Good post

KronoRed
09-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Win it all, you have no idea what next year holds...at least get the NL Pennant, something to put on the wall, otherwise pfft.

Cyclone792
09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Win it all, you have no idea what next year holds...at least get the NL Pennant, something to put on the wall, otherwise pfft.

As we know, pennants fly forever and that's what I'm itching for now.

Scrap Irony
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
If you told me before the season that the Reds would have won their division, I'd have been overjoyed.

No reason to change now.

WebScorpion
09-02-2010, 01:09 AM
I think the season will already be considered a success just by attaining (they've almost clinched it) a winning record. But from this point, if they fail to make the playoffs it will be considered a pretty collosal collapse. So I answered playoffs.
Now if you ask what will make me happy, I'm a pretty simple man with pretty simple needs. I love watching these guys play because they are a true TEAM, they give maximum effort almost all the time, and they NEVER give up. If they play solid baseball and lose to a superior team, I'm happy. But the truth is, if they play solid baseball this team is capable of winning it all...if that were to happen, I'd be overjoyed. I'm just happy to once again ask, "How about those Reds?" and not get laughed at. :D

Ghosts of 1990
09-02-2010, 01:26 AM

you can bet they'll be hanging a fresh 2010 Division champs flag somewhere if we hang on... I'm not sure that's what you meant by something on the wall.

To be honest I'm pretty happy that we're going to have some new decoration flags around the stadium. Have they hung past division titles anywhere around the field? I know the Indians do it, can't remember if the Reds do (I have seen the world series flags)

reds44
09-02-2010, 01:35 AM
No doubt I'll be happy with the season if we just make the playoffs.

sabometrics
09-02-2010, 02:42 AM
I've been waiting my whole life to see this team play playoff baseball. If I don't get that I'll have a bitter taste in my mouth (especially with the team's current position). If they go farther than that like others have said that's just icing on the cake. This team can get better in the coming years, go farther, of that I'm sure, so I won't stress over playoff results just yet.

KronoRed
09-02-2010, 02:45 AM
you can bet they'll be hanging a fresh 2010 Division champs flag somewhere if we hang on... I'm not sure that's what you meant by something on the wall.

I wish they wouldn't, division titles are nice, but only League pennants and world titles should get flag/wall recognition.

Tom Servo
09-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Just make the playoffs. Whatever happens there, happens. But make it to the dance first.

dfs
09-02-2010, 11:19 AM
The season has already been a success by any reasonable measure.

I still want them to win everything.