PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo, Cueto then who? Postseason rotation

KOBasinger
09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm kinda worried about our rotation in the postseason. Who do we go with after these 2?

Harang didn't do too bad on his return last night but I don't think that he would work out good in the postseason.

Wood is nearing his career high in innings. He won't last much longer.

Volquez is working on mechanics. We may never see him in October.

Leake is on the DL and he didn't look good at all his last few starts.

Bailey I think has the advantage to being #3. He has been struggling his last couple starts but was good in his first 2 so I'm not sure what to take of him yet.

So I have, Arroyo/Cueto/Bailey then Harang if we need a 4th. Opinions?

Hey Meat
09-01-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm kinda worried about our rotation in the postseason. Who do we go with after these 2?

Harang didn't do too bad on his return last night but I don't think that he would work out good in the postseason.

Wood is nearing his career high in innings. He won't last much longer.

Volquez is working on mechanics. We may never see him in October.

Leake is on the DL and he didn't look good at all his last few starts.

Bailey I think has the advantage to being #3. He has been struggling his last couple starts but was good in his first 2 so I'm not sure what to take of him yet.

So I have, Arroyo/Cueto/Bailey then Harang if we need a 4th. Opinions?

Wood/Leake tag team? I have no idea. Kind of scary to think about.

NeilHamburger
09-01-2010, 12:23 PM
It depends on the park. I would pitch Harang if the Reds are playing the Padres (a real possibility) and it's in San Diego.

GIDP
09-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Wood or Bailey or Volquez even.

KOBasinger
09-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Wood or Bailey or Volquez even.

I have Bailey as our 3rd. I'm hoping Volquez can come back by then and have a positive impact.

CySeymour
09-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I think the Reds will do what they have to to get Wood into October. So if he has to skip a few starts, or only go 3 or 4 innings in a start, so be it. As for the 4th starter, it probably depends on how Harang does the rest of the way. If he does ok, I think Dusty goes with him, other wise it'll probably be Homer.

redsfan_12
09-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Wood or Volquez

mckbearcat48
09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Probably Wood if it's the Phillies with all those LH bats. Bailey would be an interesting choice. Definitely Arroyo in Game 1, he gives the Reds a better chance to win than the Karate Kid Cueto (sorry, Card fan venting). The key with Arroyo in Game 1 is he usually saves the bullpen, which is critical in a 5 game series.

bshall2105
09-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Harang will be starting game 1.

swaisuc
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM

No chance. It will be Arroyo barring injury. I understand the veteran angle that you are going for, but Arroyo has that going for him just as much as Harang. Also, whoever pitches game 1 is available twice in the division series.

Game 1: Arroyo
Game 2: Cueto
Game 3: Bailey
Game 4: Wood and Harang battle it out in Sept.
Game 5: Arroyo

I would flip/flop Cueto and Bailey if we didn't get HFA.

Rockermann
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
No chance. It will be Arroyo barring injury...

My guess is that bshall2105 was being a bit sarcastic with his Harang prediction.

Hustleman
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
i'd have to go with bailey right now...but i wouldnt feel necessarily comfortable with it

Wiggidy
09-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Travis Wood all the way.

GIDP
09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Id start Cueto and Wood, baring something changing, before Arroyo.

Kingspoint
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Wood's a no-brainer.

You only need 3 in the rotation. Everyone else is in the bullpen.

Kingspoint
09-01-2010, 07:35 PM
...unless Bailey has another September like last year.

bshall2105
09-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey

Stray
09-01-2010, 11:49 PM
I have no idea who our 3rd starter is right now, and I'm pretty sure nobody in the organization does either. If Wood has indeed hit the wall, then it's basically a tryout for that job for the remainder of the year.

In a perfect world Volquez would have a couple of good starts (I know he started tonight, but haven't seen how he did yet) in Dayton where he throws strikes, and can come back up here to win it. His stuff is still nasty as ever, but it's all for not if they're all outta the zone.

Right now I would think it would be Wood with Bailey a very very close second, but neither are winning...just holding the lead till someone does win it.

Jefferson24
09-02-2010, 12:16 AM
How about Chapman, its worth a thought.

gedred69
09-02-2010, 12:34 AM
I have no idea who our 3rd starter is right now, and I'm pretty sure nobody in the organization does either. If Wood has indeed hit the wall, then it's basically a tryout for that job for the remainder of the year.

In a perfect world Volquez would have a couple of good starts (I know he started tonight, but haven't seen how he did yet) in Dayton where he throws strikes, and can come back up here to win it. His stuff is still nasty as ever, but it's all for not if they're all outta the zone.

Right now I would think it would be Wood with Bailey a very very close second, but neither are winning...just holding the lead till someone does win it.

Agree with this mostly, except I'd lean to Bailey a bit more than Wood. Good thing is, there's still enough games to hopefully get a clearer picture. But as you say, I'd think the best case is Volquez re-locates the strike zone, as there is absolutely nothing wrong with his stuff or velocity.

Roush's socks
09-02-2010, 01:02 AM
They will go through the rotation 5-6 more times before the end of the season and a lot could happen. I would think that Volquez has the best chance to be the 3rd starter if he can look effective even half the time. After that, either Wood or Bailey depending on who finishes better.

Krawhitham
09-02-2010, 02:46 AM
It depends on the park. I would pitch Harang if the Reds are playing the Padres (a real possibility) and it's in San Diego.

I would would not pitch Harang in a playoff game even if my other 4 starters had broken arms

Krawhitham
09-02-2010, 02:47 AM
How about Chapman, its worth a thought.

Does not have the arm strength at them point he has been in the pen too long

davereds24
09-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Volquez or Bailey, I don't think Wood has much left in the tank. Maybe against Philly I'd go with Wood.

With all the off days in the playoffs you can be sure whoever it is will be on a short leash. The idea of using Ondrusek, Rhodes, Masset, Chapman, and Cordero to go up to 5or 6 innings every game definitely helps.

athinnes
09-02-2010, 09:46 AM

I REALLY REALLY hope not.

I would would not pitch Harang in a playoff game even if my other 4 starters had broken arms

This

mlh1981
09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Wood, if he hasn't hit a wall by then.

I like his demeanor. Very calm and relaxed. Whereas I could see Bailey almost getting too amped up to the point where he lost his focus and control

EddieMilner
09-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I was thinking what would give the reds the best chance to win would be something crazy and not done before...
Have 4 set pitchers that are going 2 innings each.
1 & 2 - Leake
3 & 4 - Wood
5 & 6 - Bailey
7 & 8 - Chapman

And also the building up of speed (would seem) to make it difficult to get the timing down for opposing batters (as well as going R - L - R - L).

ThornWithin81
09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I was thinking what would give the reds the best chance to win would be something crazy and not done before...
1 & 2 - Leake
3 & 4 - Wood
5 & 6 - Bailey
7 & 8 - Chapman

And also the building up of speed (would seem) to make it difficult to get the timing down for opposing batters (as well as going R - L - R - L).

No. :p:

redssince75
09-02-2010, 01:33 PM
1 & 2 - Leake
3 & 4 - Wood
5 & 6 - Bailey
7 & 8 - Chapman

I really like that.

GIDP
09-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Game 7 of the WS I'm throwing Chapman, Masset, Rhodes, Cordero, Ondrusek, then Cueto to finish it :)

SidneySlicker
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
At this point I'd have to say Bailey, but Wood would be right there. It's comforting that the Reds have a pretty deep bullpen because I don't see a lockdown starter on this team.