PDA

View Full Version : MIA

brm7675
09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Well another game with no Phillips in the lineup, which is now at 6, and another game with no Bruce in the lineup, which is now 2 in a row. The Reds call up no OF in case either Heisey, Stubbs or Gomes would get hurt, so who is our 4th OF right now?

CySeymour
09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Fransico, probably

RedLegsToday
09-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Didn't Yonder get called up today? He can play out there (or, at least fake it).

texasdave
09-01-2010, 04:28 PM
When they say a player is 'day-to-day' that is the kiss of death.

brm7675
09-01-2010, 04:43 PM
According to Fay Bruce will be out a couple of days as the injury is in the right rib area, which means "pulled or torn muscle". So we are suppose to go with only 3 legit OF for the Cards series? PLEASE, kick someone off the 40 and get Balentine up here or Frazier.

Kiss the Baby00
09-01-2010, 04:52 PM
one thing i have figured out this season is that walt knows what he is doing. i suggest we be patient and let him do him GMing

KOBasinger
09-01-2010, 04:56 PM
All these injuries aren't good especially during this time of the season. Good thing we have depth and all the players are stepping up when needed.

texasdave
09-01-2010, 04:58 PM
one thing i have figured out this season is that walt knows what he is doing. i suggest we be patient and let him do him GMing

No denying that Jocketty has been solid this season.

brm7675
09-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Didn't Yonder get called up today? He can play out there (or, at least fake it).

Your joking right? We are heading into a huge road trip to St. Louis and Colorado without our starting RF and 2nd basemen, and you want to stick Yonder out there? i would rather see Hanigan in the OF before Yonder.

brm7675
09-01-2010, 05:00 PM
No denying that Jocketty has been solid this season.

i wouldn't go that far..

RedsLvr
09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I have faith in this Reds team. Jocketty is a great GM and I trust him to have the rights guys out there at the right times.

bornready
09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
i wouldn't go that far..

you'd say he's done really well?

brm7675
09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
you'd say he's done really well?

I think he has done okay. Overall I would rate it maybe a B-.

RedsLvr
09-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I think he has done okay. Overall I would rate it maybe a B-.

Wow what would you consider an "A"?

Hey Meat
09-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I am really pleased with Walt maybe minus turning the Reds into a former Cardinals retirement halfway house, but still overall he has done a good job this year. He made the right move at the trade deadline(which was no move). We are sitting pretty now and in large part I think Walt deserves his fair share of credit.

brm7675
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow what would you consider an "A"?

Not trading for Edmonds, not signing either of he AARP pitchers, not inking Orlando, even considering offering Dusty a contract extension until after the season. Not DL'ing players soon enough forcing the Reds to play short handed. All of these things cost us games and such and had they not been done he would have gotten an A

Mutaman
09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Not trading for Edmonds, not signing either of he AARP pitchers, not inking Orlando, even considering offering Dusty a contract extension until after the season. Not DL'ing players soon enough forcing the Reds to play short handed. All of these things cost us games and such and had they not been done he would have gotten an A

Granted this team hasn't missed a beat with Janish filling in, but I thought Votto's statements had put to rest the knocks on signing Cabrerra. In case we need reminding:

"And then you get a guy like Orlando [Cabrera]. People complained about that. Heís been outstanding. People donít realize: you [have to] ignore the numbers sometimes. Orlando has done more for this team than anybody you can even quantify on paper. He hasóhaving him has changed the atmosphere and the attitude in the clubhouse, and that doesnít get enough credit in our game. Not at all. Statistics can only explain so much. But when Orlando makes a decision, on the field, on the bench, in the clubhouse, that can affect the game more than people realize. You can only get on base so much and drive in so many runs and create so many runs on the field, but if you do certain little things that help us win a ballgame, thatís as valuable as anything, and thatís what Orlando offers"

J. Votto
8/5/10

Kiss the Baby00
09-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Walt Jocketty said the trainers told him Jay Bruce could be a available this weekend.

Source: John Fay

takealeake
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Walt Jocketty said the trainers told him Jay Bruce could be a available this weekend.

Yeah people overreact to everything. I remember when Votto was out a few days, supposedly he was having anxiety or something again and whatever else some wacko fans thought what was really going on.

The bottom line is, we're up 7 1/2 games, maybe 8 after the night, and we don't NEED to push guys back from injury quickly. I'm sure they could if it was an emergency, but Walt and Dusty have been overly, overly cautious this season.

Kingspoint
09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
We have the luxury of a 7-1/2 game lead, the best record in the National League, and new call-ups beginning today, that we can afford to make sure that everyone gets healthy for the playoffs.

Vottomatic
09-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Take Herrera off the 40-man, put Balentien on it and get him up here. He has torn International League pitching up for over the past month. He's hot.

Get him up here now.

UPRedsFan
09-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Sure would like to see Alonso or Fransisco in LF this weekend instead of watching Gomes flail at Carpenter and Wainwright's breaking balls. Pull them after a few at bats if we have the lead and put Heisey out there for defense.

ian_madden
09-02-2010, 01:09 AM
1. the best move walt did was nothing. I dont think he cost us any games this year, and if he did, (knock on wood) they haven't cost us anything yet. If they keep playing this well we will be celebrating for a while.

2. Were beating the teams we are supposed to. If we don't win the W.S. guess what, we weren't supposed to. You don't become great overnight. You have to learn to be great. this season is a stepping stone for the future. Lets see how this team does next year with a year under their belts.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 11:11 AM

"Could be" not Will be...HUGE DIFFERENCE.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Take Herrera off the 40-man, put Balentien on it and get him up here. He has torn International League pitching up for over the past month. He's hot.

Get him up here now.

That would be the smart thing, but for some reason Dusty is anti Balentien.:thumbdown

brm7675
09-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Sure would like to see Alonso or Fransisco in LF this weekend instead of watching Gomes flail at Carpenter and Wainwright's breaking balls. Pull them after a few at bats if we have the lead and put Heisey out there for defense.

Your joking right? Gomes is leaps and bounds better in the field then either of them.

Votto4MVP
09-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Does anyone here actually take what BRM says seriously?

I know I dont...

Captain13
09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Dusty says the fourth outfielder is Cairo, but Francisco and Alonso have both practiced in LF. I'm pretty sure any of the statues out front could cover left as well as Gomes has lately; it's the bat that we need.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Does anyone here actually take what BRM says seriously?

I know I dont...

So you are saying that Yonder who has all of a handfull of AA games in the outfield is a better choice then Gomes? You are okay with Fransico in the outfield when he can't even make the throw from 3rd to first more then Gomes? Gomes is horrible in the field, putting either of those two out there would be laughable, especially when you have talented OF at AAA.

Kiss the Baby00
09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
So you are saying that Yonder who has all of a handfull of AA games in the outfield is a better choice then Gomes? You are okay with Fransico in the outfield when he can't even make the throw from 3rd to first more then Gomes? Gomes is horrible in the field, putting either of those two out there would be laughable, especially when you have talented OF at AAA.

no what he is saying is that you spam the message board with 1093495743953 posts about how right you are and what the team needs to do. when in fact you are so far off that everyone just laughs at your posts and ignores them and moves on to the next one. SO that is what he is saying.

Votto4MVP
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM

No what Im saying is that giving Walt, the GM of a team that is 23 games over .500, 8 games ahead of the second place team, a team that most people predicted to finish 4th in the division, a B- is just not right. And its not the first time youve made posts like that.

Signing Springer and Izzy cost us games? How? We paid them very little and if they were to help the big league team great, if they never made it up it wasnt the end of the world. Signing them didnt hurt us at all.

Cabrera has helped this team. Ask Votto, ask Baker, ask anyone that is associated with the team and they will tell you that. Just cause what you can see on your couch watching tv doesnt mean thats what it really is. He helps this team more then what he just brings on the field.

Keeping from DLing guys? I think Nix was the first time that happened...with Votto and Rolen they ended up playign in games they wouldnt have been able to play in had they been on the DL. So yeah we played short some days, but id rather play short 8 days then play with a AAA for 7 when Rolen/Votto is healthy.

Offering Baker an extension in the season? Oh know!!! I trust that Jocketty knows WAY more about who is a good coach and who isnt then you do. Offering him an extension before the year was over isnt a bad thing at all. It shows we have faith in him and think he can lead us to a championship this season. Gives the team more confidence.
Jocketty has won a championship you have not.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM
No what Im saying is that giving Walt, the GM of a team that is 23 games over .500, 8 games ahead of the second place team, a team that most people predicted to finish 4th in the division, a B- is just not right. And its not the first time youve made posts like that.

Signing Springer and Izzy cost us games? How? We paid them very little and if they were to help the big league team great, if they never made it up it wasnt the end of the world. Signing them didnt hurt us at all.

Cabrera has helped this team. Ask Votto, ask Baker, ask anyone that is associated with the team and they will tell you that. Just cause what you can see on your couch watching tv doesnt mean thats what it really is. He helps this team more then what he just brings on the field.

Keeping from DLing guys? I think Nix was the first time that happened...with Votto and Rolen they ended up playign in games they wouldnt have been able to play in had they been on the DL. So yeah we played short some days, but id rather play short 8 days then play with a AAA for 7 when Rolen/Votto is healthy.

Offering Baker an extension in the season? Oh know!!! I trust that Jocketty knows WAY more about who is a good coach and who isnt then you do. Offering him an extension before the year was over isnt a bad thing at all. It shows we have faith in him and think he can lead us to a championship this season. Gives the team more confidence.
Jocketty has won a championship you have not.

Wow where to start:

Signing the two AARP guys was just a waste. A waste of money, a waste of time and a waste of energy. Instead of wasting all of that, I would have rather seen Walt just say we have the in house talent and will continue down that path, or gone out and maybe added an actual physical arm, not an AARP member.

Janish has shown he can play at an equal to better level, so why waste the money. Sure what do you think Votto and Baker are going to say. The numbers don't lie and you add into it the age factor, the monies wasted on Orlando was just not wise given what he have gotten for him. We had Janish and Sutton, we didn't NEED Orlando.

How many games when Rolen was hurt and out did we go a man down? How many games now has Phillips been unable to play yet we don't DL him and get up someone who can? Rhodes has had issues throughout the season with his foot, maybe if they had DL'd him and allow it to heal he wouldn't be so iffy now? Then they waited to DL Hernandez and we basically went with Hanigan and no one for how many games? Now we are looking at Bruce being unable to play and only having 3 healthy legit OF on the major league roster. These things are unacceptable.

I have yet to see how Dusty has earned the right to talk extension. lets see what happens and in the offseason talk about it then.

Again, Walt has done a good job, just not an 'A' job.

Votto4MVP
09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Wow where to start:

Signing the two AARP guys was just a waste. A waste of money, a waste of time and a waste of energy. Instead of wasting all of that, I would have rather seen Walt just say we have the in house talent and will continue down that path, or gone out and maybe added an actual physical arm, not an AARP member.

Janish has shown he can play at an equal to better level, so why waste the money. Sure what do you think Votto and Baker are going to say. The numbers don't lie and you add into it the age factor, the monies wasted on Orlando was just not wise given what he have gotten for him. We had Janish and Sutton, we didn't NEED Orlando.

How many games when Rolen was hurt and out did we go a man down? How many games now has Phillips been unable to play yet we don't DL him and get up someone who can? Rhodes has had issues throughout the season with his foot, maybe if they had DL'd him and allow it to heal he wouldn't be so iffy now? Then they waited to DL Hernandez and we basically went with Hanigan and no one for how many games? Now we are looking at Bruce being unable to play and only having 3 healthy legit OF on the major league roster. These things are unacceptable.

I have yet to see how Dusty has earned the right to talk extension. lets see what happens and in the offseason talk about it then.

Again, Walt has done a good job, just not an 'A' job.

1. Whos time and energy did it waste? You are being way overdramatic about this. The guys came in for a tryout they looked good we signed them for not a lot of money at all and sent them to AAA and it didnt work it. If it works out its great, if not no big deal. There was no downside. You are the only one making a big deal about it.

2. Janish hadnt proven anything at the plate coming into this year. He had never hit in his career. Hes having a good year at the plate this year and has always been a good defender. Hes proving himself this year, but he wasnt proven before. And id10 times rather have Ocab then sutton. If janish played everyday and got hurt without OCab we would have been in an awful position.

3. And with all the injuries you are talking about guys that miss 5-6 games and you want to DL them for 15. For example Phillips probably comes back and plays tomorrow and plays against STL in a big series. You woulda rather DLd him and played without him in one of the biggest series of the season just so we could have some AAA fodder for 5 games.

You are wrong about all this.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
3. And with all the injuries you are talking about guys that miss 5-6 games and you want to DL them for 15. For example Phillips probably comes back and plays tomorrow and plays against STL in a big series. You woulda rather DLd him and played without him in one of the biggest series of the season just so we could have some AAA fodder for 5 games.

You are wrong about all this.

have you seen Brandon's hand, it's in a soft cast. he can't swing a bat and thus can't play. I would be shocked to see Brandon in teh starting lineup anytime soon. you don't wear a soft cast and get ZERO plate appareances in the Brewer series if the hand isn't in bad shape.

Votto4MVP
09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
have you seen Brandon's hand, it's in a soft cast. he can't swing a bat and thus can't play. I would be shocked to see Brandon in teh starting lineup anytime soon. you don't wear a soft cast and get ZERO plate appareances in the Brewer series if the hand isn't in bad shape.

We can have 40 men on the roster, what is the point of DLing Phillips??

Plus he can pitch run, and since there is no need to put him on the DL id rather have him pinch run then nothing.

Captain13
09-03-2010, 10:53 AM

He said he'd "play these guys on one leg", you don't think he'd play 'em with one hand. He hates the Cardinals, remember. :D :beerme:

GIDP
09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Phillips has been taking batting practice, and fielding grounders.

brm7675
09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Phillips has been taking batting practice, and fielding grounders.

So what, there is a huge difference in practice and game conditions. If Brandon is 100% then why not let him get a PH in the last Brewer game? The Reds can sugar coat this all they want, you don't go around wearing a soft cast on your hand if you are okay.

GIDP
09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Who said he was 100%?

arkimadee
09-03-2010, 12:50 PM
So what, there is a huge difference in practice and game conditions. If Brandon is 100% then why not let him get a PH in the last Brewer game? The Reds can sugar coat this all they want, you don't go around wearing a soft cast on your hand if you are okay.
correct me if I'm wrong but haven't we gone 5-1 without Phillips in the lineup. I want to see him comeback but we have done just fine without him. They are not sugar coating anything. They say Brandon will play when his hand feels better. Bottom line, why DL him if he can get better a week sooner and can still be used for pinch run purposes? I honestly could care less if he played in St. Louis or not. It would mean less drama involved

lidspinner
09-03-2010, 02:58 PM
brm....you really need to reveal yourself as the Cardinal fan in hiding....LOL....dude, if you are.... a Reds fan, I will gladly accept you as a member of the family....but I have a hard time seeing it...you are the most critical member of this board. I see your point on Dusty, but most of your reasons for Dusty not deserving a extension are moves that are made by the GM, not Dusty.

money spent on fodder, again, not Dusty.

you constantly bash anything Reds.....and trust me, I am the first to be all over the Reds.....I am not a fan of the dont fix whats not broke...I believe that if you win 100 games, there was things you could have done to win 101. Unless you win the World Series, I am under the view of its a failue...to an extent. But you take the cake brm....lets finally all sit back and realize we have one the top 3 teams in MLB.....we are so close to actual dominance that you cant see it.......

brm7675
09-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Who said he was 100%?

Given the injury if he is not 100% or close to it I don't want him playing, do you?

GIDP
09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Phillips is starting and batting 2nd today.

brm7675
09-03-2010, 03:05 PM
brm....you really need to reveal yourself as the Cardinal fan in hiding....LOL....dude, if you are.... a Reds fan, I will gladly accept you as a member of the family....but I have a hard time seeing it...you are the most critical member of this board. I see your point on Dusty, but most of your reasons for Dusty not deserving a extension are moves that are made by the GM, not Dusty.

money spent on fodder, again, not Dusty.

you constantly bash anything Reds.....and trust me, I am the first to be all over the Reds.....I am not a fan of the dont fix whats not broke...I believe that if you win 100 games, there was things you could have done to win 101. Unless you win the World Series, I am under the view of its a failue...to an extent. But you take the cake brm....lets finally all sit back and realize we have one the top 3 teams in MLB.....we are so close to actual dominance that you cant see it.......

You are right we have dominated those teams below us, but how dominate have we been against the Phils, Braves, SD, SF and Cards, all of which are teams we could face in teh playoffs. Beating up on cream puffs is expected, but to be a team of quality means beating teams equal to you and on occasions better then you.

brm7675
09-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Phillips is starting and batting 2nd today.

I sure hope is wrist is near 100% because if not you are looking at either reinjury of lack of power with the bat. The hitting is where the injury is going to reveal itself...

Votto4MVP
09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I sure hope is wrist is near 100% because if not you are looking at either reinjury of lack of power with the bat. The hitting is where the injury is going to reveal itself...

yet you think we should have put him on the Dl even though we are allowed to have 40 guys up and hes only missed 6 games...

or maybe you were just wrong?

brm7675
09-03-2010, 03:32 PM
yet you think we should have put him on the Dl even though we are allowed to have 40 guys up and hes only missed 6 games...

or maybe you were just wrong?

I believe I advocating DL him before Sept 1 when the rosters expanded, and yes when he was hit the next day he should have been DL'ed.

lidspinner
09-03-2010, 03:58 PM
brm....we have sucked donkey butt for 10 years....we are not going to go from horse turds to perfume in 1 year....it is going to take time, we are a small market team, this rebuild has been done right and we are going to contend for the foreseeable future......this year we might not kill those that are above us....but we are seeing what it takes and we are putting a team together of guys who can beat those ATL's, PHillies, Padres.....it takes time brm. it takes time. enjoy the process

Stray
09-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm really glad to hear Phillips is back, but I would have been more surprised had he not been in the lineup for this series.

Walt has an "A" in my book for this year. Like someone else said, there was absolutely no downside in giving some guys a shot for little money. It didn't cost us players, and if it worked out then awesome. Dickerson had no future with this team so trading him for Edmonds was worth it, especially when you see the impact Edmonds has had with some of our younger outfielders.

Too many people focus on the numbers part of this game when it's obvious that there is more that has changed around here than just numbers. Walt and Dusty have changed a losing atmosphere to a winning one. Dusty constantly puts guys in positions to succeed and our guys usually respond well...you can also see it in the players how much they love playing this year. Those all sound like dumb things to give people credit for, but compared to what we've had its not.

We can break down headscratcher moves Dusty or Walt have made, but at the end of the day, the product they've given us has a shot to have the best record in the league. Dusty deserves an extension, without him we aren't where we are right now.