PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else worried about this weekend's series against the Cards?

OldRed1966
09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm talking about what the Cardinals might do since there's a very good chance they could be 8 GB by the time the first pitch is thrown tomorrow night. I know the Cardinals are still pretty hot over what happened in Cincinnati last month, and the farther and farther they keep falling in both the NL Central and NL Wildcard standings the more I think that some of our top players will be thrown at this weekend. We've already seen what being drilled in the hand can do to one of our top players. It's one reason I think Dusty wants to keep Phillips out the whole weekend. I worry about Votto and Rolen being thrown at. Now I know the Cardinals have to have in the back of their mind that the Reds have a guy they can bring in that can throw a 105 MPH fastball at Pujols, but just how ugly do you think it might get this weekend, especially if the Reds were to win the 1st two games, and Carpenter takes the mound Sunday with the Cardinals being 10 GB in the standings?

Wiggidy
09-01-2010, 05:50 PM
No, there's no crying in baseball. I don't care what the Cardinals do, if they throw at our guys then we'll just throw right back.

berryluther
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
The only thing that would have concerned me would have been Cueto batting but with him pitching tonight that point is mute. IMO if we win one game it will be devastating to the Cardinals they are in a must sweep position.

fielder's choice
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
:rolleyes:

redsfan_12
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
All we need to do is atleast win 1 game.

OldRed1966
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
:rolleyes:

Great input as always. :rolleyes:

Hustleman
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
i'm not worried. the cardinals should be concerned with getting back in the division race more than hitting our players.

OldRed1966
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
All we need to do is atleast win 1 game.

Did you read my post, or just the thread title?

mckbearcat48
09-01-2010, 05:54 PM
This series is pretty much irrelevant. The Reds have done their jobs and should win the division regardless of this series.

OldRed1966
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
This series is pretty much irrelevant. The Reds have done their jobs and should win the division regardless of this series.

I'll ask you also. Did you read my post, or just the thread title? I'm not a bit conerned about the wins or loses in this series. I'm concerned about what could possibly happen as far fights during the series.

mckbearcat48
09-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I'll ask you also. Did you read my post, or just the thread title? I'm not a bit conerned about the wins or loses in this series. I'm concerned about what could possibly happen as far fights during the series.

This is the major leagues. The teams will be watched closely. Nobody's going to go out of their way to injure anyone.

DocRed
09-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Hard to worry about a team that you will be 7-8 games up on.

mckbearcat48
09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
DocRed...watch out, the thread police will be around shortly to scold you.

DocRed
09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
haha why?

mckbearcat48
09-01-2010, 06:00 PM
bc OldRed is screening posts that don't address his question whether two teams of professional baseball players will go out of their way to injure each other.

bshall2105
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Ill be worried if they show up with guns, knives, grenades, tanks, maybe even some C4, but I doubt they would be able to do much damage with baseball equipment.

DocRed
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh ya lol I see that now. Honestly I didn't even read his post. Call me lazy but I tend not to read posts that are that long and not separated by paragraphs.

mckbearcat48
09-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Ill be worried if they show up with guns, knives, grenades, tanks, maybe even some C4, but I doubt they would be able to do much damage with baseball equipment.

Security taking the weekend off?:)

GIDP
09-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I hope they sweep again. Since the last time they have gone 3-13. I could take that again :)

Reds
09-01-2010, 06:13 PM
They should be worried, they need a sweep to make up more than a single game.

mckbearcat48
09-01-2010, 06:13 PM
They should be worried, they need a sweep to make up more than a single game.

They don't care...hence the Reds big lead.

Reds
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
We'll see, if they roll over this weekend we might be the only team to finish above .500 in the division. :D

Trace's Daddy
09-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I can see Carp doing it - especially like you said, if Cincy is up by 8-10 games

texasdave
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I understand MLB is watching but that hasn't prevented other beanball wars from breaking out. That being said I would imagine next season Cueto better have light feet in the batter's box when facing the Cardinals.

takealeake
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I just want ONE game out of this series. Well no, I want a sweep, but you get what I mean. Even though we're up a boatload, getting half that lead cut down in 3 games with a month left to play wouldn't be good. Still way too much baseball left to act like it's over yet. They sweep us again and get it back to 4 or 5, with 4 games at a very good Colorado club, then suddenly this week is a distant memory. The team needs to come out with a chip on their shoulder, like we're the team behind 7 or 8 games.

bshall2105
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
What is Carp going to do though? If he hits one person he'll probably be ejected, the hit batter will go down to 1st, and the Cards bullpen will be in for a long night.

Fullboat
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
As I said in another thread,both team will be warned before the first pitch.The Cards will go out with wimper instead of a bang.

Kingspoint
09-01-2010, 06:32 PM
The Cards are so far back in our rear-view mirror, that if it was nighttime and their lights were on, we still couldn't see a trace of them.

lidspinner
09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Yes I am a little concerned as the health of our batters are concerned....TLR has not been shy in the past about getting retaliation....TLR will advise his pitchers to throw inside if he feels it is needed.....and who knows how his mind thinks whether it is needed or not....

I do not want a single player to get hurt from a hit batter.....no Reds, no Cardinals....but yes it does worry me when sitting across the dirt is Tony and Carpenter....although, I think Carp would rather throw a perfect game against us as opposed to hurt someone....or at least a shutout...but if we are hitting him hard, then I could see Carp beaning a Red.

As said earlier, we have the Cuban Defector to come in and plant a concussion on someone's head if the Cards get crazy.....so that in itself is probably enough to stop them.....unless they are trying to get some Reds suspended...that would not surprise me either.

Vottomatic
09-01-2010, 06:54 PM
The Cardinals have to sweep the Reds for this series to even matter. If we win one game, we only lose one game in the standings. If we win 2, we go up another game in the standings and things continue to look bleak for the Cardinals.

The pressure is all on them.

Redlegs82
09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
All we need to do is win one.... :D

j/k

If it gets dirty, we have a bigger gun than they do.

Bring it, B*t*hes.

LeDoux
09-01-2010, 07:50 PM
The real reason Gomes is on the team is be an enforcer. They probably won't feed him all weekend. He'll just stand in the dugout and stare at the Cards pitching while foaming at the mouth. If a ball hits a reds batter, Dusty will open the lock on Gomes' chains.

Trace's Daddy
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
The real reason Gomes is on the team is be an enforcer. They probably won't feed him all weekend. He'll just stand in the dugout and stare at the Cards pitching while foaming at the mouth. If a ball hits a reds batter, Dusty will open the lock on Gomes' chains.

:beerme::thumbup::D

foxfire123
09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
If there is another incident in this game, it will just prove that Brandon's comments was right IMO.

foxfire123
09-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I worry more about them going at Joey or Scott more than anyone else. Joey because he's a main threat to Puhol's chance at MVP, and Rolen just because.

I'm willing to bet that MLB has already warned both managers and GM's.

Like I said a few days ago, I'm more worried about drunk in-the-stands-idiots than the Cardinals themselves.

Aces Wild
09-01-2010, 09:30 PM
The Cards are done. After tonight's game they will be 8 games out heading into the series. Even with a sweep they are still 5 games out heading into the 2nd week of September. Unless the Reds have a Boston Massacre type of meltdown over those last 3 weeks they aren't making this much ground up.

Sorry about your luck Cards........thanks for playing.

UC_Ken
09-01-2010, 09:36 PM
The Cards are done. After tonight's game they will be 8 games out heading into the series. Even with a sweep they are still 5 games out heading into the 2nd week of September. Unless the Reds have a Boston Massacre type of meltdown over those last 3 weeks they aren't making this much ground up.

Sorry about your luck Cards........thanks for playing.

I haven't been able to watch any St. L games over the last week and a half but judging by their results I think it's fair to say they've folded. The worst thing we could to is scuffle it up with them, it may be the one thing that would pick them up off the mat.

I went into the last series saying I'd be happy with one win but that win never came. I'll say the same thing this time, one win and it would take a miracle for StL to catch us.

Vottomatic
09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I worry more about them going at Joey or Scott more than anyone else. Joey because he's a main threat to Puhol's chance at MVP, and Rolen just because.

Like I said a few days ago, I'm more worried about drunk in-the-stands-idiots than the Cardinals themselves.

Well, ya know........St. Louis is considered the drunkest town in America.

skywalker
09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
sweep, nothing less for the Reds

GIDP
09-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I'll take an 11 game lead, or a 5 game lead.

Jr's Boy
09-01-2010, 11:38 PM
I bet if Carp plunks Gomes it will be on right then.

gmt
09-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes I am a little concerned as the health of our batters are concerned....TLR has not been shy in the past about getting retaliation....TLR will advise his pitchers to throw inside if he feels it is needed.....and who knows how his mind thinks whether it is needed or not....

Tony LaRussa has come out publically and condemned anyone who purposely throws at the hitters. So there is no reference to verify any malice from the cardinals coach.

The Cardinals have little chance to catch anyone should they get swept or even only win 1 of the 3. It's getting obvious that winning every series for them from here on out is their only chance to catch the Wildcard and maybe the Reds. This series is almost a do or die for them. That doesn't mean they will pick fights. They also have something to prove to their hometown fans after a disasterous road trip. With Garcia leading off, their most consistent pitcher of late, they will be looking to get off on the right foot. Cueto not pitching the series will help keep the fans from getting too involved. Phillips making limited appearances will help too. I don't think anyone else on the team makes any difference to the fans.

Captain13
09-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, ya know........St. Louis is considered the drunkest town in America.

I grew up listening to the Reds on radio and hearing "Anheuser Busch, St. Louis, Missouri" at least 10 times a game. Before Real Men of Genius it was the Frogs, and before that Spuds McKenzie and before that does anyone remember "Head for the mountains, the mountains of Busch, Busch Beer and Busch Light". Oh well, when I think of drunks in St. Loooey it makes me think of beer commercials. :beerme:

ThornWithin81
09-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Nothing is going to happen this series. If the Cardinals lose the first two games and go after our players they will pay for it dearly. They know that.

LaRussa is a dog... but he isn't THAT much of a dog.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 11:17 AM
the cards swept us in our ballpark, how can they be upset over that? Their fall from division leader was due to a lack or runs scored in games vs. the Pirates/Nationals and Stros, not what happen in cincy.

bounty37h
09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
If there is another incident in this game, it will just further prove that Brandon's comments was right IMO.

Fixed that for you.

bounty37h
09-02-2010, 11:42 AM
We just need to keep our own heads straight and not worry about them. Dont let them bait us into anything, play mind games that throw off the balance we got going on. I could see Larussa playing scrubs here and there to play dirty and get in our heads, doesnt matter if they get tossed or suspended if they can bait one of our guys to go with them....

bagz
09-02-2010, 04:50 PM

:laugh:

foxfire123
09-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Fixed that for you.

Thanks! :thumbup: :beerme:

bagz
09-02-2010, 05:08 PM

I tend to agree that MLB has already warned both teams. I would hope they'll have extra security on hand in the stands. At this point in the division race we have more to lose than them. It's our division right now. I wouldn't put it past LaRussa to try something sneaky.

mckbearcat48
09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
And in good old irony, the first HBP is by Arroyo. I think this will be a hard fought, clean series. After which the Reds will keep winning and the Cards will keep losing to St. Mary's Junior High.

Jefferson24
09-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes, I'm worried about this series. This could be just the springboard the Cards need. The Reds must win one and then win two in Colorado. Anything less the door may be wide open.

GIDP
09-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm worried if our manager keeps trying to play for ties.

Vottomatic
09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
There will be 26 games left in the season after tomorrow's game and the Reds will be either 7 or 9 games up.

I'm not worried at all.