PDA

View Full Version : Rob Dibble - Out of there!

The Operator
09-01-2010, 07:33 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/09/rob_dibble_no_longer_broadcast.html

teaser:

In the wake of controversial comments Rob Dibble made about Stephen Strasburg, the Nationals announced today Dibble will no longer broadcast their games. The separation will be permanent. The Nationals offered no further comment on the matter.

westofyou
09-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Worst announcer in the game.

BearcatShane
09-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Anyone know what was said?

Stephenk29
09-01-2010, 07:43 PM

I believe it was something along the lines of Strasburg being a baby and not wanting to compete. Essentially his arm "really wasn't hurt." Whoops...don't say that about the big ticket seller, especially when he needs the TJ.

KronoRed
09-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Dibble owned his job to Jimbo, good to see the Nats get rid of another one of his failures.

SunDeck
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Couldn't happen to a nice guy.

hebroncougar
09-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Did he get the boot by XM? I can only hope so.......

Hap
09-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe he wanted to get fired.

Always Red
09-01-2010, 08:52 PM

"So for me, a little bit has to be put back on Strasbug here. Ok, you throw a pitch, it bothers your arm, and you immediately call out the manager and the trainer? Suck it up, kid. This is your profession. You chose to be a baseball player. You can't have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow.

"I mean, excuse me. There's guys I played with that had screws holding their elbows together. Chris Sabo played two weeks on a broken ankle. I put a steel plate in my wrist so I could be back in five weeks instead of three months." ....

Read further for the whole screed. Dibble got what was coming to him.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/09/rob_dibble_no_longer_broadcast.html

kaldaniels
09-01-2010, 08:56 PM
The funny thing to me is that for all the guff Dibs has taken regaring the SS remarks...the Nationals said his injury was acute, saying it just happened on that one bad pitch. So the remarks Dibs made and the injury are unrelated...except in the world of public relations.

Ghosts of 1990
09-01-2010, 09:15 PM
In the end, it was Dibble's holier than thou, glorify my former playing days mentality that damned his job. This was why people were turned off by him on ESPN.

Dibs, Citgo.

fearofpopvol1
09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
It was an inappropriate comment for sure, but i don't think it's termination worthy in my opinion.

MattyHo4Life
09-01-2010, 10:17 PM
It was an inappropriate comment for sure, but i don't think it's termination worthy in my opinion.

i agree... i think this is a case of people being too sensitive.

Brutus
09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
i agree... i think this is a case of people being too sensitive.

Thirded.

Bozo-ish to say, but hardly an outrageous comment.

westofyou
09-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Thirded.

Bozo-ish to say, but hardly an outrageous comment.

True, I've heard worse, it's an a chance to can him, a better method would be can him when the season is over, chances are his contract was beyond this year and the "chance" to can him proved to the management to be at its apex, thus worth the folks who say... So what?

Sometimes the end does justifies the means.

TeamBoone
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Marty said worse about Jr. Time and time again.

westofyou
09-01-2010, 11:05 PM
BTW my use of the word 'can' was beyond gratuitous.

I apologize.

Joseph
09-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm still a Dibble fan. I still don't know that overall what he said was wrong.

mdccclxix
09-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Anyone remember the little hissy fit Dibble threw because Ray Knight said something just slightly critical of SS right after he came up? Dibble was jocking SS then, what a complete idiot.

WVRedsFan
09-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Strausburg Mania. Thou Shalt Not criticize the Great One.

I have nothing for Dibble except his contribution to the 1990 World Champs, but to can someone for stating an opinion is a little much. Sure, it was insensitive and in the end, wrong, but this is where we are in America right now. I made some what turned out to be stupid comments off the top of my head in the game thread last night because of this very thing. My opinion was that pushing the hype (Chapmania) would move the focus from the team to one player. It wasn't taken well (in fact, one person called me daft, which I had to look up). But back to Dibble, he deserved to be let go for many reasons, but this wasn't one of them,

Cicero
09-01-2010, 11:57 PM
As boorish as Dibs has been as a commentator I will always be a fan of Dibble the player. I wish him well.

Chip R
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
But back to Dibble, he deserved to be let go for many reasons, but this wasn't one of them,

Agreed.

Unassisted
09-02-2010, 12:39 AM
True, I've heard worse, it's an a chance to can him, a better method would be can him when the season is over, chances are his contract was beyond this year and the "chance" to can him proved to the management to be at its apex, thus worth the folks who say... So what?
That was essentially my thought reading this thread. Sounds like management was looking for a window of opportunity to turn him loose and he opened it for them.

WVPacman
09-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Honest question here would you like to see Dibble take Keels announcing spot for the Reds.I don't know how good or how bad Dibble is announcing b/c I have'nt heard him.Keel is absoluty killing me though when he does the reds games.He is one of the worst that I have ever listened to.

The Operator
09-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Honest question here would you like to see Dibble take Keels announcing spot for the RedsNo, a thousand times no.

I'd rather listen to Microsoft Sam call Reds games before I would want Dibble.

WebScorpion
09-02-2010, 01:35 AM
No, a thousand times no.

That cracked me up! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I can hear it now..."Did he just say 'Za new *****er is Sam the pure.'?" :eek:

KronoRed
09-02-2010, 02:42 AM
No, a thousand times no.

How about Brantley and Dibble in one booth?

I think radios themselves would commit suicide.

sabometrics
09-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Stupid comments aside I agree with others, this specific comment didn't demand that he gets canned, his whole body of work demands that.

Topcat
09-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Loved what he gave to the Reds, but as an individual he left many disappointed.

Always Red
09-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Marty said worse about Jr. Time and time again.

I cannot recall Marty ever being so direct about Junior or Dunner. Or Eric Davis, either, going back 12-13 years before that. Though it's true that most knew how he felt.

A younger Marty probably gets fired for that type of attitude, but the Marty that Junior and Dunn dealt with was a HoF'er and was embittered with all of the losing. Thom would stick up for Dunn many times when working with his dad, and Marty would bite his tongue and not say something really stupid.

Until it came to talking about Cubs fans. :D

Rob Dibble is no Marty Brennaman.

cumberlandreds
09-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Dibble deserved what he received. IMO, you never question an injury. You don't tell a player to "suck it up" when you don't know the pain or the extent of the injury. He has said many,many stupid things on their broadcasts and this one put him over the top. Good riddance.

membengal
09-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Dibble:

Stop your whining, good Sir Knight, and suck it up.

http://insurgen.info/w/images/e/e9/Monty-python-black-knight-with-one-arm-off-794357.jpg

Always Red
09-02-2010, 09:43 AM
tis merely a flesh wound! :D

bucksfan2
09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Dibble deserved what he received. IMO, you never question an injury. You don't tell a player to "suck it up" when you don't know the pain or the extent of the injury. He has said many,many stupid things on their broadcasts and this one put him over the top. Good riddance.

As a former player and especially pitcher I think you can shed a lot of insight on pitching and pitching through pain. I do think when Dibble pitched pitchers weren't babied as much and pitchers did throw through injury more. The Nats treated SS with kid gloves which is right and I think its fair to criticize that method when you have been down that road before. Now in hindsight his comments were wrong, but how many of us have said something we regretted.

FWIW I have always enjoyed listening to Dibble. He was great on the Dan Patrick show. I haven't listened to him much lately because I don't care about the Nats and done get the best of Sirius.

membengal
09-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Dibble's "toughing it out" effectively ended his career at age 29. Not sure how machismo is a virtue when it comes to pitchers and arm pain.

RichRed
09-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Dibble's "toughing it out" effectively ended his career at age 29. Not sure how machismo is a virtue when it comes to pitchers and arm pain.

Or maybe he didn't "suck it up" enough. Either way, poor choice of words. And I agree with those who say he was fired for his body of work, and that this latest Strasburg thing was just the excuse they used.

I've listened to him several times because we get all the Nats games in this area. The guy is absolutely awful.

MrCinatit
09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm wondering how much of this came from some behind-the-door conversations we will never hear about.

Cedric
09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
It's a shame that Dibble didn't learn a damn thing from Nuxy.

I just wish Nuxy was here to see this team. He would be thrilled.

jmcclain19
09-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Why in the world does Washington hire Dibble to be Dibble, then fire him for doing what he does - say inflammatory things that may or may not have a basis in reality.

It's not as if Dibble isn't a known quantity.

It's like ESPN a few years back with Rush Limbaugh. Say what you want about his politics, but you hire him to be Rush Limbaugh, then are aghast when he actually acts like Rush Limbaugh on camera.

Phhhl
09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
It's a shame that Dibble didn't learn a damn thing from Nuxy.

I just wish Nuxy was here to see this team. He would be thrilled.

Here here. I wish Joe was here as well. It is just about the only thing that this season has been missing. He would be on cloud 9 the way this team is playing.

fearofpopvol1
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM

If Dibble had made this comment about Livan Hernandez or Batista in the pen, would it have been as big of a deal?

I don't believe for a second it would have been.

blumj
09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
If Dibble had made this comment about Livan Hernandez or Batista in the pen, would it have been as big of a deal?

I don't believe for a second it would have been.
Of course not, because the team doesn't have so much invested in them. Strasburg isn't just another pitcher to the Nats, and you'd have to be from Mars to believe he was.

fearofpopvol1
09-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Of course not, because the team doesn't have so much invested in them. Strasburg isn't just another pitcher to the Nats, and you'd have to be from Mars to believe he was.

I think it's stupid. If Dibble was going to be fired, he should have been fired for the comments he made, not based on who he made them about.

Again, I don't think his comments were that bad. Inappropriate, sure. Termination worthy, no.

15fan
09-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Paragraph 2 of the originally linked Post article:

"There is no word on a permanent replacement for MASN, but Ray Knight will serve as the analyst at least through the end of the Nationals' current road trip."

Between the Dibble Dustup and the Morgan Melee in Miami, I'd like to forward this URL to the Nationals' brass:

http://www.dalecarnegie.com/golden_book.jsp?keycode=GoldenBook_hp

westofyou
09-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I think it's stupid. If Dibble was going to be fire, he should have been fired for the comments he made, not based on who he made them about.

Again, I don't think his comments were that bad. Inappropriate, sure. Termination worthy, no.

He was also under fire because of his remarks a few weeks ago about woman fans, fact is he had 1 more year, was insufferable when his skill set was considered and as a human he comes across as a piece of something stuck to ones shoe.

RANDY IN INDY
09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Dibble should send his resume to that Cowherd buffoon. They'd probably either hit it off great or kill each other. Either way............