PDA

View Full Version : Against the big 4

davereds24
09-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Reds get the Cards big 3 and Ubaldo in the next 4 games. Should show a lot about how ready this offense is for playoff baseball.

Matchups look like:

Arroyo vs Garcia
Wood vs Wainwright
Bailey vs Carpenter(:cry:)
Harang? vs Jimenez

Is 1-3 something to be satisfied with? I don't see 2-2 as realistic but every time I doubt this team they surprise me.

Roush's socks
09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Tough stretch. The Reds have a lot of momentum but those 4 pitchers can make you life miserable.

R_Webb18
09-02-2010, 12:49 AM
if pitt, nat, hou can't beat stl so can we

Vottomatic
09-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Reds could be ready to finally make life miserable for those 4 pitchers too.

Captain13
09-02-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't see any better thatn 3-1, but I don't think we'll lose all four either. All of these pitchers have shown they are hittable, and the Reds are HOT right now.

corwinator3407
09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't see any better thatn 3-1, but I don't think we'll lose all four either. All of these pitchers have shown they are hittable, and the Reds are HOT right now.

This. I'll go with 2-2. Reds already beat Wainwright once this year.

mattfeet
09-02-2010, 08:19 AM
3-1 or 4-0. We're not going to let up now. This team can beat anyone on any given day. For those 4 games:

Arroyo vs Garcia - WIN
Wood vs Wainwright - LOSS
Bailey vs Carpenter - WIN
Harang? vs Jimenez - WIN

Arroyo/Bailey have been money. Im not sure how Wood is going to rebound, so I hope he can hold on. I do feel that he's our weak link these 4 games, so we'll see.

-Matt

athinnes
09-02-2010, 08:56 AM
With the hype of this series, and the fact it will be in hostile St. Louis, 2-2 in this stretch seems good to shoot for. If they can get out of STL without getting swept, I will be satisfied.

gmt
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
The Reds must be on their toes for the next 7 games. If the Cardinals show any life and somehow sweep, they could be looking at a miserable road trip. The Rockies are playing very well, will be at home and have a lot to play for with the Wildcard well within their reach. A sweep at the hands of the Cardinals could result in a 7 game losing streak. The Reds have been playing lights out, but I see this weekend as a critical juncture at this stage of the season.

ThornWithin81
09-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Why is 2-2 not realistic? The Cardinals have lost eight out of ten games against the Pirates, Nationals and Astros. They've looked pathetic and flat in the process.

I think they know the division is out of reach. I think we know it too. I expect the Reds to go out there loose and playing well. At some point we have to recognize that we're the hottest team in the league. 2-2 in ANY stretch of games against ANY stretch of starters has to be realistic... otherwise we aren't going anywhere once the playoffs roll around.

I think we sweep the Cardinals and lose that first game to Jimenez.

A sweep at the hands of the Cardinals could result in a 7 game losing streak.

There is no way this happens. Have you no faith? I mean, we're due to have a rough stretch but on what planet does this make sense? Is the lineup going to be stricken blind? Is Aroldis going to trip on a baseball running out to the mound and have to lob it underhand?

The Cardinals are dogs right now. We should win that series and I expect we will do just that.

Hey Meat
09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
2-2 and we are still in good shape. Even at 1-3 it's not the end of the world, but 0-4 would be a definite wake up call. Hopefully that does not happen.

New York Red
09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
With the hype of this series, and the fact it will be in hostile St. Louis, 2-2 in this stretch seems good to shoot for. If they can get out of STL without getting swept, I will be satisfied.
That's my thinking too. Just trying to be realistic here. A 2-2 split in those four games, against those four pitchers, would feel almost like 3-1 or 4-0 against average pitchers.

webbbj
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
it boggles my mind that pple still only expect the bare minimum from this team. i hate hearing the phrases "just do this or that" or "1 win and i would be satisfied" or "as long as they dont get swept thats fine" etc. the reds are ready to take it to teams. i think the reds are gonna take it too the cards and rockies i expect 4 wins in the next 6.

davereds24
09-02-2010, 03:01 PM
it boggles my mind that pple still only expect the bare minimum from this team. i hate hearing the phrases "just do this or that" or "1 win and i would be satisfied" or "as long as they dont get swept thats fine" etc. the reds are ready to take it to teams. i think the reds are gonna take it too the cards and rockies i expect 4 wins in the next 6.

The reality is this team still for the most part struggles against good pitchers and playoff caliber teams.

btw the rockies series is 4 games so it's a 7 game road trip.

gmt
09-02-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not saying the Reds will lose any of the next 7 games. It's critical that they not sit back or let the hype of the games get to them. The cardinals are returning home and have nothing to lose anymore. They might be the most loose team. Lose the first game, start thinking oh no it's the 10 - 5 vs the Reds team waking up again, and you can see how that can snowball as you head into Mile High Stadium where any team right now has got to loathe going to.

I don't see the Reds sweeping the Cards or the Rockies. I don't really see the other either. Certainly, the schedule looks a lot better after the next 7.

Hey Meat
09-02-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't really think the 10-5 stuff matters anymore. Surely everyone realizes how bad the Cardinals are against mediocre to awful teams. They change their whole rotation just for us then lay an egg versus everyone else. Even if we lose every game on this road stint and they win all of their's we will still be up a game.

UPRedsFan
09-02-2010, 03:57 PM
It's not the opposing pitchers that worry me in these next 4 games.

It's the health of our own offense that causes me concern. Really need Phillips and Bruce healthy. If Bruce is out, that gaurantees Gomes will be in there flailing at Carpenter curve balls and Wainwright cure balls.

Maybe we'll see Fransisco or Alonso???

MikeThierry
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Well this Cards team is lifeless right now. Even Jeff Blum noticed it when we got swept by the Astros. I wouldn't surprise me if the Reds did sweep the Cardinals, though I think Jaime has an 18 inning scoreless streak going. Just keep BP's mouth shut and you guys should have this in the bag.