PDA

View Full Version : What will the Reds lead be...

corkedbat
09-01-2010, 10:58 PM
...come Monday morning?

Tornon
09-01-2010, 11:00 PM

Matt700wlw
09-01-2010, 11:02 PM

reds44
09-01-2010, 11:02 PM
That's not possible unless there is a rainout lol.

I'll say 9.

The Operator
09-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I'll be Mr. Optimistic and say 11. Nail it down, boys!

corkedbat
09-01-2010, 11:08 PM
sorry, had some trouble posting the poll

sabometrics
09-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Considering how anemic the Cards offense has been the matchups aren't horrible for us. I say 2/3 and a 9 game lead.

Bob Borkowski
09-02-2010, 09:36 PM
9 games

Mario-Rijo
09-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I said 7 but I tend to want to be pessimistic and then be pleasantly surprised. My gut says we win 2 of 3 but my head says we lose 2 of 3. Beat Jaime, Lose to Carpenter and Wainwright will be the determining factor.

WebScorpion
09-03-2010, 03:04 AM
That team is self destructing...and it looks like their hair's falling out too! :eek: The Reds continue their excellent broomwork and the ensuing 11 game lead is the death knell of the 2010 Cards. :beerme:

Ghosts of 1990
09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
I think we drop two of three at least. Winning one would feel like a victory. Just don't want to get swept.

If we win 2 of 3 or sweep, the door has been kicked in and this thing is over. This is a fun weekend where we're playing with house money. I hope the guys are motivated.

Az Red
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
The first game is the barometer. If the Reds can win it, the Cards will be ripe for a sweep. If the Cards take the first game, it will be tough to get out of St. Louie with one win.

Either way, the Reds are in good shape and should just relax and have a fun series. I vote 7.

Chip R
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
It'll be 4. The Reds will be swept so bad that they will subtract another game in the standings.

Screwball
09-03-2010, 10:36 AM
The first game is the barometer. If the Reds can win it, the Cards will be ripe for a sweep. If the Cards take the first game, it will be tough to get out of St. Louie with one win.

That's exactly what I was thinking last night. Tonight's game is pretty huge. With a win the Reds assure themselves of avoiding the sweep and can play relaxed during the weekend, almost like playing with house money.

However, if they lose that first game they're staring Wainwright, Priss and an outright sweep right in the face. With the way the Reds have struggled against "meh" lefties this season (not to say, necessarily, that Jaime is meh), hopefully Arroyo can twirl another gem tonight against a sub-par Cards lineup. The Reds will probably need it.

redsmetz
09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
However, if they lose that first game they're staring Wainwright, Priss and an outright sweep right in the face. With the way the Reds have struggled against "meh" lefties this season (not to say, necessarily, that Jaime is meh), hopefully Wood can regain his form tonight against a sub-par Cards lineup. The Reds will probably need it.

Arroyo's starting tonight. Wood is pitching Saturday.

CarolinaRedleg
09-03-2010, 10:44 AM
7. Team's had issues with these guys all year.

Screwball
09-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Arroyo's starting tonight. Wood is pitching Saturday.

You are correct, sir. Edited above.

Roy Tucker
09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Its an interesting question.

The Reds are playing free and easy and making winning look as easy as falling out of bed. Everyone is having fun and they are beating everyone like a drum.

The Cards are shaving their heads and making allusions to Armegeddon and having a hard time beating anyone.

Th last time the Reds and Cards played, the Reds took on the Armegeddon persona and made it like the eternal battle between Good and Evil. That didn't work very well.

I think they need to forget all that life and death crud and play like they've been playing and make like its 3 games against the Brewers.

I just recommend to Brandon Phillips that he doesn't tap Yadier Molina's shinguards with his bat. Everyone just shut up, use only bland baseball cliches, and play Reds baseball.

IslandRed
09-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Good post, Roy. It'll definitely be interesting to watch the team play and see how the dynamic has changed since the last series.

Having said that, I voted "7" in the poll. The Cards aren't going to play terribly forever, they're at home, they're desperate, they have their best pitching lined up. If we drop two of three, that won't surprise me at all. But I do think it'll help us that the big lead has taken the must-win pressure off any of the games.

traderumor
09-03-2010, 11:06 PM
5, with the barometric pressure sinking heading into Colorado.

I have been preparing myself mentally for our first major losing streak of the year. This 7 game road trip has perfect storm written all over it. The Cards 3 starters own us and Coors Field is a house of horrors for all who enter in. I will actually be happy with 2-5. I am not usually this pessimistic, but my 38 years of following this game smell a storm brewing. Hold on boys, its about to get bumpy :(

guttle11
09-03-2010, 11:11 PM
7. Win tomorrow, lose Sunday.

I predict at least 5 runs off Wainwright.

Homer Bailey
09-03-2010, 11:17 PM
I voted 7. It'll be 5. Needed it tonight. Hate the way this team plays vs. the Cards.

The Operator
09-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Yea, I hate to say it... but it looks like The Cards are still in their head. I really thought things would be different this time around but they came out stiff as a board yet again.

Things are ripe for a sweep yet again. Dangit! :(

OnBaseMachine
09-04-2010, 12:04 AM
I hate to say it, but I think the Reds will get swept. Again. They always play like crap against the Cardinals. You can't give away outs on the bases and strand lead off doubles against the Cardinals and expect to win against their top three starters.

The Reds have to find a way to win one of these final two games and leave St. Louis with a seven game lead.

Matt700wlw
09-04-2010, 12:10 AM
I said 9. I'll stick to it.

If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time

Ghosts of 1990
09-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I agree with those here who say we are going to get swept again.

Ron Madden
09-04-2010, 12:12 AM
It can't be 9.

We gotta lose one of the games against Carp or Wayne O.

Larussa has it all planed out .

corkedbat
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
It can't be 9.

We gotta lose one of the games against Carp pr Wayne O

nevermind

MattyHo4Life
09-04-2010, 08:45 AM
It can't be 9.

We gotta lose one of the games against Carp or Wayne O.

Larussa has it all planed out .

The Reds will win against Carp. Carp will forget he is in St. Louis and say that the balls are too slick.

Mario-Rijo
09-04-2010, 10:57 AM
5, with the barometric pressure sinking heading into Colorado.

I have been preparing myself mentally for our first major losing streak of the year. This 7 game road trip has perfect storm written all over it. The Cards 3 starters own us and Coors Field is a house of horrors for all who enter in. I will actually be happy with 2-5. I am not usually this pessimistic, but my 38 years of following this game smell a storm brewing. Hold on boys, its about to get bumpy :(

Brave call and you could be right, every time FSN would show that schedule I cringed.

Mario-Rijo
09-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Yea, I hate to say it... but it looks like The Cards are still in their head. I really thought things would be different this time around but they came out stiff as a board yet again.

Things are ripe for a sweep yet again. Dangit! :(

I don't think the Cards are in their head, they just executed better in a tight ball game.

However I do think the Cards fans are renting space in Brandons head for the weekend.

membengal
09-04-2010, 11:07 AM
I was one of the six votes for "5". I sure hope to be wrong. Please be wrong.

The Operator
09-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't think the Cards are in their head, they just executed better in a tight ball game.
I certainly hope you're right. I'm just getting beyond sick of watching them lose to that same team, over and over. It's almost as if you could put a Little League coach pitch team in Cardinals uniforms and they'd beat The Reds at about a .750 clip. It's nice that they have that big lead but if they whittle it all the way down to 5, I'm gonna start getting nervous again. And I hate being nervous.

However I do think the Cards fans are renting space in Brandons head for the weekend.I'd honestly rather Dusty kept Brandon out for this series. He's pressing, Valaika was playing very well, his hand could use more time to heal, he's obviously Lucifer to St. Louis right now... I'd just keep going with Valaika until The Rox series.

Tommyjohn25
09-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't know, you guys. I had a dream last night that the Reds were down 4-3 in the 8th inning in todays game, and Mr. Phillips hit a 2 run homer to put them up 5-4, flashing his pearly whites to the crowd as he crossed the plate. I don't remember my dreams often, but I had one about the Reds back in early July as well. In that one I got out of bed and checked the standings (in my dream) and the Reds were 8 games up. The only thing that wasn't clear in that one was what part of the season it was, although now we know! Anyways, my point is, don't sit Phillips tonight because he's going to win the game in heroic fashion. :cool:

OldRightHander
09-04-2010, 01:07 PM
They're going to win today because I spent $75 on a nice seat behind home plate, and because Carpenter isn't going today.

Roy Tucker
09-04-2010, 01:24 PM
I read a Paul Daugherty column this AM where Scott Rolen said the Reds were built for the "Big 162". I don't know if they are built for playoff-intensity games which is what these StL games are.

It seems that the Cards do what they need to do and the Reds just come up a hair short.

OnBaseMachine
09-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I hate to say it, but I think the Reds will get swept. Again. They always play like crap against the Cardinals. You can't give away outs on the bases and strand lead off doubles against the Cardinals and expect to win against their top three starters.

The Reds have to find a way to win one of these final two games and leave St. Louis with a seven game lead.

Reverse psychology worked again! ;) There's no way the Reds will win two of three in St. Louis. ;)

Huge win for the Reds. This might be the biggest win of the season as it guarantees the Reds will leave St. Louis with at least a seven game lead with 26 games remaining.

SirFelixCat
09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I agree with those here who say we are going to get swept again.

Whoops:D

Chip R
09-04-2010, 07:12 PM
7. Win tomorrow, lose Sunday.

I predict at least 5 runs off Wainwright.

Powerball numbers, please?

BearcatShane
09-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I think the Reds can pretty much wrap it up with a win tomorrow. I get superstitions and all that but a 9 game lead with 26 to go is pretty substantial. As is a 7 game lead really. The Reds are sittin pretty.

fearofpopvol1
09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
HUGE win. I would agree...maybe the biggest win of the season given the magnitude. The Reds had a rookie (a good one though) go against Wainwright who some say is the best pitcher in the NL and they torched the Cards on national TV. All this coming off a really tough 1 run loss last night.

The difference between being up 5 games and being up 7 games is big this late in the season. Let's hope the Reds can somehow make it 9 games tomorrow.

corkedbat
09-04-2010, 07:48 PM
HUGE win. I would agree...maybe the biggest win of the season given the magnitude. The Reds had a rookie (a good one though) go against Wainwright who some say is the best pitcher in the NL and they torched the Cards on national TV. All this coming off a really tough 1 run loss last night.

The difference between being up 5 games and being up 7 games is big this late in the season. Let's hope the Reds can somehow make it 9 games tomorrow.

I want a win tomorrow badly, but win or lose we need to stay focused in Colorado. If we come back home to face the Pirates on Friday coming off a 3-3 road trip, I'll be very happy.

BearcatShane
09-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I want a win tomorrow badly, but win or lose we need to stay focused in Colorado. If we come back home to face the Pirates on Friday coming off a 3-3 road trip, I'll be very happy.

It is a 4 game series in Colorado just to let you know.

corkedbat
09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
It is a 4 game series in Colorado just to let you know.

Thans - 4-3 three then. :D

Brutus
09-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm a little upset. I looked last night at the schedule and saw a 7:10 start. So I logged in around 7 PM to open up the gamecast on the computer and find out the game was over with.

But, that was a big win. I'll definitely take it.

guttle11
09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Powerball numbers, please?

Just call me Blindy McSquirrel.

Homer Bailey
09-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Glad to be wrong!