PDA

View Full Version : Golden Scottie Rolen

Matt700wlw
09-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Sounds fitting.

Will he win number 8 this year?

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Drew Stubbs are all worthy of Gold Gloves, IMO. Heck, Ryan Hanigan too.

sabometrics
09-02-2010, 12:45 AM
He's been great, but Zimmerman has been younger, better, and has played ~150 more innings than Rolen. He won't get #8 this year.

The Operator
09-02-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know, but I know that Scott Rolen is one of my favorite parts about this season. He's the ultimate professional. He makes every play down there. After watching Encarnacion's "fielding" the last few years, it's been kinda like upgrading from a rusted out Ford Pinto to a beautiful Corvette sporting a V-12.

sabometrics
09-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Then again, a lot of writers place more value in FP compared to other newer methods/actual observation so maybe ole Scottie has a shot. I'll say this: imo Zimmerman is the better fielding 3rd baseman, but Scott may get the GG on reputation and FP similar to how Orlando Hudson beat out Phillips a few years back.

Chip R
09-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Then again, a lot of writers place more value in FP compared to other newer methods/actual observation so maybe ole Scottie has a shot. I'll say this: imo Zimmerman is the better fielding 3rd baseman, but Scott may get the GG on reputation and FP similar to how Orlando Hudson beat out Phillips a few years back.

Writers don't vote for the Golden Glove. Coaches and managers do.

sabometrics
09-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Ah my bad. Well the point stands regardless. I don't think those guys are getting together and discussing how Zimmerman's UZR/150 is so much better than Rolen's.

Matt700wlw
09-02-2010, 12:57 AM
We know who Dusty will vote for and LaRussa won't. :)

The Operator
09-02-2010, 12:58 AM
We know who Dusty will vote for and LaRussa won't. :) Think TLR will vote for Brandon? :D

nate
09-02-2010, 08:26 AM
TLR will vote for Felipe Lopez.

(no)

:cool:

VR
09-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Since its coaches and managers.....I think Rolen is a shoe in. What he's doing, at his age, with his first place team, is nothing short of miraculous.

Ghosts of 1990
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Rolen and Phillips will win it. I think Bruce has an outside shot.

And if Janish is ever given the chance to become a regular he has what it takes to win a few.

SirFelixCat
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Rolen not only lives and breathes baseball, but if you look at at his blood under a microscope, you will see that all his white blood cells are actually little tiny baseballs.

Roy Tucker
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Rolen not only lives and breathes baseball, but if you look at at his blood under a microscope, you will see that all his white blood cells are actually little tiny baseballs.

If you look up "professional' in the dictionary, they have a picture of Scott Rolen. ;)

I do wish the GG voted on LF-CF-RF instead of the 3 best OF regardless of position. Bruce plays an elegant and graceful (and very effective) RF.

lollipopcurve
09-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I want Rolen in a Reds uniform for a long time. Until he retires and beyond.

mace
09-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Drew Stubbs are all worthy of Gold Gloves, IMO. Heck, Ryan Hanigan too.

Agree on all but Stubbs. I know it's sacrilege, but I just don't see it. Yes, he glides and covers a lot of ground. But he tends to get turned-around on balls over his head, and he's definitely shy around the wall.

The outfielder who has really impressed me with his defense--in addition to Bruce--is Heisey. He's made remarkable, clutch plays out there, and I don't believe I've seen him a botch a single ball.

bucksfan2
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
FWIW I don't think Bruce has a snowballs chance in he(double hockey sticks) of winning a GG. He probably deserves one, but that doesn't mean he will get one.

membengal
09-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Just amazing experience as a fan to get to watch Rolen's professionalism and approach on a daily basis. "Leadership" may be hard to quantify, but whatever it is, Rolen's got it. And then some. That goes to how he fields his position, how he approaches his at-bats, how he apparently is in the clubhouse, and how he manhandles Chris Carpenter when given reason to...

I am stunned, in hindsight, that StL and Larussa ran him out of town.

RedsBaron
09-02-2010, 11:37 AM
At the time the Reds acquired Scott Rolen I questioned if it made sense. Why trade for a 34 year old third baseman who had been hurt a lot in recent seasons, especially when the Reds obviously were still a few years away from contention?
Shows you what I know.
Rolen is, as Roy noted, the very definition of "professional." Terrific move by Walt to get him. I won't claim to know for certain whether or not he is the best fielding third baseman in the NL this season, but I do know he is the best I've seen at that position in a Reds uniform since at least Buddy Bell, and he is probably better than Bell was.

Chip R
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I want Rolen in a Reds uniform for a long time. Until he retires and beyond.

To infinity and beyond?

Ghosts of 1990
09-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Rolen is, as Roy noted, the very definition of "professional." Terrific move by Walt to get him. I won't claim to know for certain whether or not he is the best fielding third baseman in the NL this season, but I do know he is the best I've seen at that position in a Reds uniform since at least Buddy Bell, and he is probably better than Bell was.

I thought Aaron Boone was terrific down there as well. He was a good infielder. Played some nice middle infield when he was asked to as well. We've been fortunate on the hot corner.

dsmith421
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
We've been fortunate on the hot corner.

Ummm..wha?

I remember a lot of Chris Stynes, Ryan Freel, Brandon Larson, the Edwin Encarnacion Error Machine, and the immortal Willie Greene in the post-Ray Knight era. In fact about the only competent 3Bs we've had were Sabo (for 2-3 years), Boone, Randa (for half a season) and now Rolen.

Third base and starting pitching have generally been the Reds' bugaboo in the post-BRM era.