PDA

View Full Version : Reds new bullpen

Kc61
09-02-2010, 01:31 AM
The late inning trio of Chapman, Masset and Cordero - with Rhodes hopefully feeling better and getting his chances - is a force to be reckoned with. Masset and Cordero have rounded into form and are pitching great. Rhodes is an all-star and with some rest hopefully will pitch like he did earlier in the year.

Add Chapman to the late innings mix.

This is a bullpen that can dominate in late-season and post-season play.

Add in Ondrusek, Bray, and Lecure who are all pitching well right now.

Excellent, excellent pen.

Now the Reds need one or two of Bailey, Wood, Harang, and eventually Volquez or Leake, to get going and supplement Arroyo and Cueto. If so, the pitching staff will be truly impressive.

sabometrics
09-02-2010, 01:39 AM
What Nick Masset has done in the second half of this season is incredible. He deserves so much credit for the job he has done to help catapult this team into the race for possibly the best record in the league. Chapman's stuff speaks for itself. Coco has pulled a 180 in recent weeks. If Rhodes and Ondrusek can work past their recent struggles that gives us five guys who can shut down the late innings of games.

Its going to be interesting to see who emerges as the last few BP arms, but regardless we're in good hands in the 7th, 8th, and 9th.

reds44
09-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Nick Masset Post ASB:
25.1 IP, 11 H, 1 ER, 0.36 ERA, 28 K, 6 BB, 0.67 WHIP, .131 BAA

He's been a BEAST. Cordero's numbers aren't as impressive, but he has a very solid 2.29 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, and .162 BAA against post ASB. He's also 11 for 11 in saves.

It appears Rhodes is hitting a bit of a wall, but Chapman/Masset/Cordero is some serious late inning heat to throw at teams.

nate
09-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Interestingly, on the season, Masset's FIP (3.30) and xFIP (3.28) pretty much match, or at least "straddle" his ERA (3.29.)

In the last 30 days, Masset has a 2.05 FIP to go with a 0.53 ERA. I'll take both!

Cordero, 3.51 FIP (walks haunt) and a 2.19 ERA.

And Aroldis Chapman? You can probably guess his ERA and a 0.11 FIP to go with it!

buckeyenut
09-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Getting Cordero's mechanical problem fixed was absolutely huge for this pen. Now we need to get Rhodes healthy and not throw Masset every single day and we are good to go. Why the heck were he and Cordero in there last night?

PuffyPig
09-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Why the heck were he and Cordero in there last night?

Masett was already warming to pitch the 8th when we got our 6 runs.

I'm also guessing with an off day today, Baker wants to keep them active. Sometimes Cordero is quite poor with too much rest.

I wouldn't have used them.

bucksfan2
09-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Masett was already warming to pitch the 8th when we got our 6 runs.

I'm also guessing with an off day today, Baker wants to keep them active. Sometimes Cordero is quite poor with too much rest.

I wouldn't have used them.

Bullpen pitchers like to pitch. They like rhythm and don't like long breaks off. I have no problem with Dusty going Chapman, Masset, and Cordero last night. With a day off tomorrow they will be as fresh as possible entering the StL series.

VR
09-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Great thread KC.

Ondrusek and Rhodes have wavered just a bit lately.....but overall....wow, what a pen.

Smith and Fisher remain on the periphery, but are solid options in the event of an injury.

fisch11
09-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Nasty Boys 2.0!