PDA

View Full Version : Doyel on the Reds

CarolinaRedleg
09-02-2010, 11:22 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/13867227/cincinnati-deserves-this-fun-successful-reds-team

Good read!

As for the Reds? The worm has turned, my friends. The Reds are going to win this season, and they're going to win next season, and they're going to win for a lot of years. Doesn't matter that ESPN Radio star Colin Cowherd called the team "frauds" a few weeks ago. Cowherd was wrong, dead wrong, but it's hard to blame him that much. The Reds are almost never on national television. They don't get much attention from anyone outside of the 513 area code. Well, not until recently.

medford
09-02-2010, 11:43 AM
thanks, good read, though I imagine some on here will have problems with the couch references.

Puffy
09-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Wait, why was Joe Morgan naked in the clubhouse?????

These are things we need to know!

Always Red
09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
That was a surprisingly good read; Doyel usually just tries to stir the pot.

A lot of folks out there are taking potshots at the Reds attendance, and Doyel comes up with this gem:

Fans aren't coming to the ballpark in masses, but that's not a fair measuring stick. Less than 20,000 fans showed up Tuesday or Wednesday, but the Reds' crowd of 19,218 on Tuesday was the seventh-biggest turnout of the 15 MLB games that night -- and on the season the Reds are outdrawing the NL West-leading Padres. The economy sucks everywhere, but the weather is better in San Diego. Cincinnati does what it can to support this team. It always has.

Ghosts of 1990
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
National media seems genuinely happy to see a fresh face possibly entering the playoffs, especially in a baseball town like Cincinnati.

NJReds
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
That was a surprisingly good read; Doyel usually just tries to stir the pot.

A lot of folks out there are taking potshots at the Reds attendance, and Doyel comes up with this gem:

That's a good quote. It seems like the media likes to jump on the small market teams when they win by taking potshots at their attendance.

I don't think the Reds will have problems selling out playoff games like the Braves have had over the years.

jojo
09-02-2010, 12:00 PM
National media seems genuinely happy to see a fresh face possibly entering the playoffs, especially in a baseball town like Cincinnati.

Reds vs Rangers. Hamilton vs Volquez at high noon....

nate
09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
To me, the "Dunn and Jr. are lazy" canards ruined what otherwise would've been a decent article.

yab1112
09-02-2010, 12:45 PM
All the sudden it's we? In his past few articles about the Bengals I'm pretty sure he didn't use that word. :rolleyes:

His bandwagon shenanigans aside, it's a good article.

The Voice of IH
09-02-2010, 12:46 PM

He needed to work out or something.

SunDeck
09-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Sorry, Pittsburgh. Not sure it will ever be you.

Man, that is just cold.

Ghosts of 1990
09-02-2010, 12:50 PM

I'd love that. Would also love a Reds/Rays world series. It's got to be everything the major networks have nightmares about.

NJReds
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM

If they're healthy enough. Hamilton's out with a sore knee again. He's had two cortisone shots already this year, which is usually the max during a season (at least according to the article I was reading ... I'm not a Dr.). But he may get another.

jojo
09-02-2010, 01:04 PM
I'd love that. Would also love a Reds/Rays world series. It's got to be everything the major networks have nightmares about.

It would be much easier for me to delight in a trouncing of the Rangers.

Edd Roush
09-02-2010, 01:12 PM
To me, the "Dunn and Jr. are lazy" canards ruined what otherwise would've been a decent article.

I agree 100%. Decent article, but I didn't like the potshots at Griffey and Dunn.

osuceltic
09-02-2010, 01:25 PM

There are more than a few of us -- me included -- who agree with his general assessment. Reasonable minds can disagree.

CTA513
09-02-2010, 01:44 PM
There are more than a few of us -- me included -- who agree with his general assessment. Reasonable minds can disagree.

Local media only bring those guys up when they want to take shots at them.
If the Reds were losing we would be hearing all the things wrong with the team instead of the fluff stuff they are pushing.

traderumor
09-02-2010, 01:48 PM
The Bengals are legit preseason Super Bowl contenders without Antonio Bryant and Jeanty. Mikey's been winning more of his "chances" than he's been losing here lately. Just lazy, unnecessary potshots in an otherwise agreeable article.

kbrake
09-02-2010, 01:54 PM

Most times I understand where people are coming from. I'll never understand the "Reds lost because Dunn and Griffey had nice recliners" crowd.

And people here is one thing but the guys in the media that just can't resist taking shots, its so childish.

CTA513
09-02-2010, 01:58 PM
The Bengals are legit preseason Super Bowl contenders without Antonio Bryant and Jeanty. Mikey's been winning more of his "chances" than he's been losing here lately. Just lazy, unnecessary potshots in an otherwise agreeable article.

Its his way of trying to make the Reds look better.
If he really wanted to he could look at some of the contracts the Reds have given out and seen how much money they have blown.

klw
09-02-2010, 02:04 PM

And why is Mike Leake grabbing everyone? :eek::eek:

osuceltic
09-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Local media only bring those guys up when they want to take shots at them.
If the Reds were losing we would be hearing all the things wrong with the team instead of the fluff stuff they are pushing.

If my mama'd had a wheel, she'd a been a wagon.

If they were losing, it's a safe bet there would be plenty of things wrong -- and they would be discussed and written about, with good reason.

traderumor
09-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Most times I understand where people are coming from. I'll never understand the "Reds lost because Dunn and Griffey had nice recliners" crowd.

And people here is one thing but the guys in the media that just can't resist taking shots, its so childish.I think there is merit in the possibility that Griffey and Dunn were not good leaders, but that is what they are asked to be here. That is not their fault. They are talented ballplayers with little desire to be take charge leaders. They just wanted to go out and do their jobs to win ballgames, which was the culture that was created, but the talent overall on the team wasn't enough to accomplish that task, mostly due to bad D and pitching.

They didn't seem to be the type that would be able to help other guys do their jobs well as well as do their own job well (coaches on the field types). The Reds now have a few of those and I think it has created a different culture as a result.

CTA513
09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
If my mama'd had a wheel, she'd a been a wagon.

If they were losing, it's a safe bet there would be plenty of things wrong -- and they would be discussed and written about, with good reason.

I'm sure he could find stuff wrong right now if he wanted to, but thats not what he was looking to write about.

Wheelhouse
09-02-2010, 02:42 PM
My only problem is, what did Scott Hatteberg do wrong?

CTA513
09-02-2010, 02:51 PM
My only problem is, what did Scott Hatteberg do wrong?

Hes the guy Dunn and Griffey paid to put the chairs together.

;)

westofyou
09-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey were going to read this article, but they were too lazy to. All the Reds pitchers from the last decade were going to throw a hard copy of it on their bed to read later... but they missed.

camisadelgolf
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey were going to read this article, but they were too lazy to. All the Reds pitchers from the last decade were going to throw a hard copy of it on their bed to read later... but the books bounced so hard that they flew 500 feet away into a crowd.

Tornon
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM

That would be great, the Rays are the only franchise in the MLB the Reds are undefeated against all time

George Anderson
09-02-2010, 03:07 PM
That would be great, the Rays are the only franchise in the MLB the Reds are undefeated against all time

If I am not mistaken the Reds have the current longest winning streak in WS play at 9 games.

Sweep in 90=4
Sweep in 76=4
Game 7 in 75=1

PuffyPig
09-02-2010, 03:08 PM
If I am not mistaken the Reds have the current longest winning streak in WS play at 9 games.

Sweep in 90=4
Sweep in 76=4
Game 7 in 75=1

You are not mistaken.....

Tornon
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Sweep in 90=4
Sweep in 76=4
Game 7 in 75=1

You have no idea how many times I've quoted that to my friends. I remember getting kind of scared when the Yankees got to 14 in a row in the late 90s and I was glad when they finally lost and the Reds climbed back on top

Roy Tucker
09-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I think there is merit in the possibility that Griffey and Dunn were not good leaders, but that is what they are asked to be here. That is not their fault. They are talented ballplayers with little desire to be take charge leaders. They just wanted to go out and do their jobs to win ballgames, which was the culture that was created, but the talent overall on the team wasn't enough to accomplish that task, mostly due to bad D and pitching.

They didn't seem to be the type that would be able to help other guys do their jobs well as well as do their own job well (coaches on the field types). The Reds now have a few of those and I think it has created a different culture as a result.

Pretty good assesment. You can't ask guys to be someone they aren't.

Puffy
09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
And why is Mike Leake grabbing everyone? :eek::eek:

And why does Arthur Rhodes hate chairs? What did they ever do to him?

traderumor
09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
And why does Arthur Rhodes hate chairs? What did they ever do to him?Maybe its the same reason that the private investigator hated those oil cans that Navin R. Johnson was hiding behind?

Puffy
09-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe its the same reason that the private investigator hated those oil cans that Navin R. Johnson was hiding behind?

Ha - that was actually just on the other day and I was watching it again. Just a fantastic movie :thumbup:

_Sir_Charles_
09-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Maybe its the same reason that the private investigator hated those oil cans that Navin R. Johnson was hiding behind?

It's not every message board that you'll find a "Jerk" reference. Nice.

*starts humming "I'm picking out a thermos for you...not an ordinary thermos for you"* :O)

Mario-Rijo
09-02-2010, 06:03 PM

"He hates these cans. Stay away from the cans." :thumbup:

My favorite line...

Mother: Navin, I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's a**.

blumj
09-02-2010, 06:16 PM
You have no idea how many times I've quoted that to my friends. I remember getting kind of scared when the Yankees got to 14 in a row in the late 90s and I was glad when they finally lost and the Reds climbed back on top
You going to be okay if the Reds win the WS but it's not a sweep? ;)

OnBaseMachine
09-02-2010, 06:50 PM
"I've been a Reds fan a long time," said Morgan, a former second baseman who played for the Reds from 1972-79, "and you're right -- this town does deserve this. They've had some lean years, but this is a great baseball town, and I'm happy for them. I'm happy for the players, too."

I love seeing former Reds players still cheering for the Reds long after their playing days are over. It's not just Joe Morgan, Aaron Boone is constantly talking about the Reds on ESPN, and Sean Casey and Barry Larkin are always gushing over the Reds on MLB Network.

Tornon
09-02-2010, 06:53 PM
You going to be okay if the Reds win the WS but it's not a sweep? ;)

I couldn't begin to fathom a streak such as this one going by the wayside