PDA

View Full Version : What if Dusty jumps ship..

brm7675
09-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Given that he can not be happy with no contract extension yet and the fact that the Dodger job will be available next season, should Dusty bolt to the WC next year, whom should the Reds look at as a possible replacement?

A) Should they stay in house and say promote either Chris Speir or Rick Sweet?

B) Should they look at going after an unknown?

C) should they consider someone like the former Marlins manager or Bobby Valentine or such?

Hey Meat
09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
If Dusty leaves, we all know who the new Skipper will be. That might be a hard pill to swallow.

arkimadee
09-02-2010, 02:43 PM
im sure if dusty jumped ship, half the people on here would be happy..

Jr's Boy
09-02-2010, 02:45 PM
If Dusty leaves, we all know who the new Skipper will be. That might be a hard pill to swallow.

I shudder to think.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 02:49 PM

okay whom would it be?

knoonan991
09-02-2010, 02:51 PM

:(

Jr's Boy
09-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Walt is a bright guy,I'm sure he'll do what it takes to get Dusty back.Darn, he got B Cast to pony up the dough to get Chapman.

justincredible
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Does this imply TLR?

No way.

davereds24
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
After this year I don't think Walt would bring in Tony.

I'd hope Rick Sweet gets a good look.

GIDP
09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Call Larkin and see how hes doing.

BuckWild03
09-02-2010, 02:59 PM
After this year I don't think Walt would bring in Tony.

I'd hope Rick Sweet gets a good look.

Agreed.

Rockermann
09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
...I'd hope Rick Sweet gets a good look.

Dave Miley says Hi!

Hey Meat
09-02-2010, 03:20 PM
:eek:
Does this imply TLR?

No way.

Hey Meat
09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Dave Miley says Hi!

Dave Miley, I just got a deep down belly laugh from that one. Ha Ha Ha!

Hey Meat
09-02-2010, 03:23 PM

I really like that. I love the fact that he and the Mayor are on MLB network to give the Reds some of the props they deserve, but I would love it even more if he were more involved in the organization.

davereds24
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Dave Miley says Hi!

Miley had 0 pitching and Griffey taking up a quarter of his payroll. Nobody could have done much with those teams. Hardly anyone on those teams came up through the system under Miley.

I don't see many parallels between him and Sweet to be honest.

13 in hall
09-02-2010, 03:28 PM
I doubt Dusty leaves unless the Dodgers offer him a 4-5 year contract. He knows with the right moves the Reds can go on a run here for a few years The devorce is a mess (McCourts) Both are fighting for sole ownership of the club. Judge has told them it would be best for all parties if they sold but that is not happening because after 2014 the Dodgers will be a cash cow. Real scarry for the rest of the NL and baseball for that matter.

Rockermann
09-02-2010, 03:41 PM
...I don't see many parallels between him and Sweet to be honest.

Actually, I mostly agree. The teams are night and day in comparison.

However, the parallel would be using a manager with no MLB experience. And while the league has to break in inexperienced managers at some point, after making this jump to were we're now winning, I would had to add that extra variable into the equation.

mlh1981
09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
What about Bobby Valentine?

GIDP
09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I only say Larkin because I think the players are a little connected to him right now, but not too connected where he wouldnt be able to get them to listen.

Say guys like Spier or guys they came up through the minors with only know those guys as Bench coaches, and AAA managers. To respect them like a manager is another issue. They dont know how someone like Larkin would respond so his slate for handling things is going to clean and likely more effective.

liminal
09-02-2010, 04:33 PM
If Dusty leaves, I'm guessing Brian Price is our next manager. He's got managerial aspirations, and I think one of the reasons he bounced around a few teams before coming here is because he wasn't offered the manager job.

And honestly, with what he seems to have done with our pitching, I'd take him as the manager in a heart beat.

09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Baker is not leaving. He was offered an extension, and he has stated many times that he would like to stay here.

I agree with 13 in the Hall the only way he leaves is if he is offered a multi year contract from the Dodgers. That could happen, but that is the only reason why Baker would leave.

If he does move on to LA, there are plenty of solid candidates to choose from in the off season.

In house, I like liminal's suggestion of Price. He will be a manager someday.

Then there's Fredi Gonzalez, Don Wakamatsu, Willie Randolph just off the top of my head. There are a lot of great bench coaches and minor league managers that would be at the top of the list. I would have to think that if there a manager's position open in Cincinnati this offseason, it would be the #1 choice of potential managers looking for a job. This team has a great future.

Kingspoint
09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Rick Sweet over Dusty all day, every day, and any other possible candidate.

Fon Duc Tow
09-02-2010, 06:03 PM
let the Pirates break in rookie managers. We need experience and a proven track record of winning. Or maybe Tony Perez deserves another shot...

TylerScottDavis
09-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Definitely Larkin. It's gotta be.

brm7675
09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Definitely Larkin. It's gotta be.

I like Larkin, but he has zero background in this, that is not what you want.:thumbdown

09-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I like Larkin, but he has zero background in this, that is not what you want.:thumbdown

Plenty of successful managers had less background than Larkin. Leyland never even made it to the majors. I think playing in the majors for 19 seasons is enough of a background to be considered for a managerial spot. Plus Larkin worked in the Nationals front office for a few years. If anything, Larkin is overqualified to be the Reds next manager.

MikeThierry
09-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I know it would sound crazy but I would not rule out TLR as someone that would take over the Reds. TLR looks like he is out after this season and with his ego, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes over the Reds to get back at the Cards organization that's going to release him. You also have to remember that Walt and TLR are very good friends. I know you guys don't like him but think about it like this. Where ever TLR goes, Dave Duncan goes. If Dave Duncan touches that Reds pitching staff, well your team will win several World Series this decade. It might be worth putting up with TLR's antics for Dave Duncan.

DocRed
09-02-2010, 08:57 PM
I know it would sound crazy but I would not rule out TLR as someone that would take over the Reds. TLR looks like he is out after this season and with his ego, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes over the Reds to get back at the Cards organization that's going to release him. You also have to remember that Walt and TLR are very good friends. I know you guys don't like him but think about it like this. Where ever TLR goes, Dave Duncan goes. If Dave Duncan touches that Reds pitching staff, well your team will win several World Series this decade. It might be worth putting up with TLR's antics for Dave Duncan.

Crazier things have happened...

GIDP
09-02-2010, 08:59 PM
It will never happen.

realistic
09-03-2010, 12:21 AM
i like spier. dudes a baseball genius, dunno anything about his leadership skills though

demas863
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Walt is a bright guy,I'm sure he'll do what it takes to get Dusty back.Darn, he got B Cast to pony up the dough to get Chapman.

Does he want Dusty back? After all, at some point, he deserves his own guy.

demas863
09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Joe Morgan

Barney
09-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Those who are looking for major league experience should be reminded that Sparky Anderson had no major league experience and seems to have worked out. World Series victories in both leagues, and inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

BigRed
09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I think Dusty will be back. I think with what has happened this year, they will want him back and he would not want to leave. If they do have to change, I would not want LaRussa, no way no how!!!!

Carolina Red
09-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Joe Torre. He has family ties to Cincy. If not him then Sweet Lou. Would be nice to bring him outta retirement and stick it to the Cubs just one more time.

mu4103
09-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Joe Torre. He has family ties to Cincy. If not him then Sweet Lou. Would be nice to bring him outta retirement and stick it to the Cubs just one more time.

As far as Dusty is concerned ... good riddance. Torre is a great manager. That would be my vote. The Reds are in a position where I think they would do well with a young up and coming manager in the minors (like Jim Tracy when he came up). I can't think of any names, but with the Red's personal, I think that would be a good fit.

justincredible
09-03-2010, 06:54 PM

I don't want anything to do with TLR even if it does bring Duncan to town. I'd take Duncan on his own and move Price to manager in a heartbeat, though.

Kingspoint
09-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Tony LaRussa's a putz.

Jr's Boy
09-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Does he want Dusty back? After all, at some point, he deserves his own guy.

This season is a good indication on why they need him back.

buckshotrod
09-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Let him jump. The Reds are 7 in front despite him. Good example yesterday. Pujols is hitting .143 since the ankle injury so now is the time to pitch to him. He walked him on reputation only just like he batted Griffey 3rd on reputation only. Hope he leaves.

ThornWithin81
09-06-2010, 11:30 AM

I would love, love, LOVE to see Barry Larkin as our manager. I think he would be great.

takealeake
09-06-2010, 01:59 PM
How about Trader Jack? I know he's like 80 now, but that guy could manage circles around Dusty. :p:

AintlifeGrande
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Geez I don't get you guys.Winning team,winning attitude,players love playing for Dusty.A bright future for the organization and ya'll want to run the manager out of town.And taken into consideration the GM,Manager shuffle we have had for the last decade,I enjoy the continuity we have now.

ThornWithin81
09-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Let him jump. The Reds are 7 in front despite him. Good example yesterday. Pujols is hitting .143 since the ankle injury so now is the time to pitch to him. He walked him on reputation only just like he batted Griffey 3rd on reputation only. Hope he leaves.

Without Dusty Baker the Reds are not leading this division right now, period.

His gameday gaffes are offset by the leadership in the locker room that has kept this team resilient all year long.

Kingspoint
09-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Without Dusty Baker the Reds are not leading this division right now, period.

His gameday gaffes are offset by the leadership in the locker room that has kept this team resilient all year long.

Couldn't disagree more.

Any Manager could have had these REDS winning the Division.

GIDP
09-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Dusty Baker today, ran harang out there, he also let him blow a 4 run lead to try to save his bullpen with Maloney, Lecure, and Fisher in it. He preceded to let Maloney pitch 1 inning, Fisher 1 inning, Bray and Chapman split 2 innings, and then Lecure pitched 1 inning.

Not very defendable.

skywalker
09-06-2010, 07:36 PM
let him go, the Reds have a manager in Louisville waiting