PDA

View Full Version : Should Teddy Power get credit for Chapman's emergence?

fearofpopvol1
09-02-2010, 03:30 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=5522698

It is an inside article, but I found it interesting that Bryan Price told Olney...

Price was around Chapman on a daily basis in spring training, and as he watched the young Cuban on Tuesday night, up close again, it struck him that the left-hander's delivery is more compact, more suited for command and control -- the result of mechanical adjustments implemented by Ted Power, the Reds' Triple-A pitching coach.

There's no denying that Chapman's control has gotten better throughout the season and a lot of that is on him, but should Powers be getting more credit?

The rest of the article is a good read by Olney if you have ESPNInsider.

Unassisted
09-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Who's getting the credit now? I would have been inclined to give credit to Power, since he's the pitching coach who has been with Chapman for the 5 months between March and this week.

fearofpopvol1
09-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Who's getting the credit now? I would have been inclined to give credit to Power, since he's the pitching coach who has been with Chapman for the 5 months between March and this week.

I don't know that anyone is getting the credit per se, but I feel like Power has been overlooked and not mentioned enough. I don't think too many people realize that he's changed Chapman's delivery/mechanics.

nemesis
09-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Power has done a great job of refining all the pitchers that have come through him, Starters and Bullpeners alike over the last 3 or 4 years. Having him in the orginasation every year beyond this one is a must because of the Amount of high end TOR arms that will be in Louisville in 2 years or so...

Fairel
Joseph
Boxberger
Johnson
Tuttle
Corcino
Lotzkar
Robles
Guillon
Correra
Mungarian
Cisco
Amezega

Pay him like a ML coach so that he stays if you have to...

Unassisted
09-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Pay him like a ML coach so that he stays if you have to...But what if another team wants to pay him like a ML coach and make him an ML coach? It'd be tough for the Reds to top that, now that they've got the guy they should want to keep as pitching coach for the foreseeable future.

cincinnati chili
09-04-2010, 02:01 AM
I think Ted Power deserves about as much credit as Albert Einstein's PhD dissertation adviser.

Mario-Rijo
09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Nice insight in that piece.

Bryan Price:

"From what I see, he has a more stabilized arm slot that's a little higher and has allowed him to not only command his fastball, but also to throw his slider."

As far as Power goes he has earned his shot at becoming a Major League Pitching Coach, heck at the very least he should be the Bullpen coach next season. That is if someone comes flirting with him, which they now might over this high profile situation. It's not what he wants I'm sure but it might be worth enough to him to stick around for a while longer.