PDA

View Full Version : I was at...

TRF
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Insert famous Reds game here. I was reading the latest random thoughts thread and saw the mention of Hal King and it got me thinking...

What REGULAR SEASON game of note have you witnessed in person?

As a youngster, I marched in the Baseball Bunch Parade at Riverfront for Bench's last game.

My memory of it is two fold: huge hands, bad breath. :)

Joseph
09-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Opening Day 2005.....off the top of my head thats the 'coolest' thing.

The Operator
09-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I was at Opening Day 2005

I was at Chapman's MLB Debut

Chip R
09-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I was at a game where they beat St. Louis this year. ;)

I saw both of Larkin's grand slams in person.

UKFlounder
09-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Sitting in the red seats on Johnny Bench night - seeing him hit that home run may be my best sports moment ever. I was just 10 years old and he was my favorite player by far.

Also, this may not count, but I was in the pregame ceremonies for the 1988 All-Star game. It was cool to look in one bullpen and see Dwight Gooden, and then to see Mattingly, Clemens, Larkin, Sabo, etc. all be introduced, though I could not see them all

Always Red
09-02-2010, 09:03 PM
7th game of 1972 World Series, the game where Joe Rudi made the great catch against the wall late in the game, to save the game and probably the series.

The game where Dibble almost blew a save, and, in anger, he turned and fired a ball (from between the mound and home plate) into the green seats in CF, breaking a woman's wrist.

Ghosts of 1990
09-02-2010, 09:14 PM
The game Dunn hit a walk off granny off Wickman!

WMR
09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Opening Day 2005, 1 game playoff in 99, Wily Mo walk-off HR vs Tampa Bay a few years ago

edabbs44
09-02-2010, 09:17 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200605280.shtml

But left in the 3rd due to 90+ heat, seats directly in sun and raging hangovers for me and the wife. They lost the first 2 games of the series 3-0 and 7-0 and of course we were at both, so it was obvious that we put the whammie on Cincy that weekend.

I think it was Taste of Cincy weekend and we went there from the game. On the way back I looked on my phone and just died a bit.

Hap
09-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I was at the game when Sabo's corked bat broke. July 29, 1996 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199607290.shtml)

Mario-Rijo
09-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I was at a game where they beat St. Louis this year. ;)

I saw both of Larkin's grand slams in person.

I saw 2 Dunn walk offs vs. Cleveland (one I think was a slam IIRC) and 5/2/05 perhaps the sickest I have ever felt as a Reds fan. So sick in fact I won't say another word about it except epic meltdown vs. the Hated Cards.

kbrake
09-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Opening Day 2005
Dunn walkoff grand slam off Wickman
Dunn's other walkoff vs Cleveland.

membengal
09-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I was at Deion Sanders' debut. That was kinda cool.

Wheelhouse
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I was at Shea Stadium when Pete Rose broke the NL hit streak record. Man I'm old.

Mario-Rijo
09-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I was at Deion Sanders' debut. That was kinda cool.

I was at the 1st game after he was dealt in the package for Darren Lewis/Mark Portugal. Just remember saying where the heck is Deion and who is Lewis and someone in the stands said we just dealt him away.

Spitball
09-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I was at a game at Fenway Park in 1978 for a game between the Red Sox and Rangers. Len Barker was a young, hard throwing pitcher before his best days with the Indians. He was pitching to Dwight Evans when he uncorked the most amazing wild pitch I've ever seen. It literally went almost to the broadcast booth behind homeplate. Evans had no idea where the ball went and bailed out backwards almost to the ondeck circle. Whichever network had the Game of the Week in those days would show the clip a lot in their advertisements.

I'm not sure this one counts, but in 1993 we went to a White Sox versus Rangers game in Arlington, Texas. It was not much of a game, but the next night we went to Six Flags which was right next door to that stadium. As we were leaving Six Flags and walking across the parking lot, Arlington Stadium absolutely exploded in excitement. It was an incredible outburst. We got into the car to drive to our motel, and I found the game on the radio. The announcers were describing Robin Ventura's charge of the mound and the how Nolan Ryan had taught him an old time Texas lesson. It was the most famous fight, baseball or otherwise, in Texas history...and I almost saw it.

WrongVerb
09-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I was at Johnny Bench night (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198309170.shtml), where he hit a home run.

I was at the game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198509110.shtml) where Pete got hit 4192. (Still have the ticket stub)

I was at the game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199106270.shtml) where Larkin hit 2 home runs. The next game he hit 3 more giving him 5 in two games.

I was at the game where Dave Parker threw out someone trying to score, then led off the next inning with a home run.

I was at a game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199207190.shtml) where Bip Roberts hit a home run.

I was at a game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199106250.shtml) where Jeff Reed hit a grand slam (in fact I called it...he was raking and the opposing team walked the batter in front of him to load the bases).

I was at this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198509150.shtml) where the Reds scored 9 runs in the 6th inning to give Browning the win on his way to winning 20 in his rookie year.

Those are the notables that come to mind.

Stephenk29
09-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Farnsworth v. Wilson

George Anderson
09-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I was one of the 8,067 people at JB's last game.

I(heart)Freel
09-02-2010, 10:35 PM
September 4, 2007 - Votto debut
2nd AB... homer.

Good businessman special.

Yachtzee
09-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Mario Soto's almost no-hitter.

Opening Day when the ump had a heart attack and died.

JaxRed
09-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Game 5 of 1975 World Series, Tony Perez goes deep twice

OnBaseMachine
09-03-2010, 12:05 AM
August 21st, 1999. Eddie Taubensee and Aaron Boone hit grand slams in consecutive innings as the Reds beat the Expos, 9-3.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199908210.shtml

April 9th, 2000. Ken Griffey Jr. hit his first home run as a Red.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200004090.shtml

August 10th, 2004. Adam Dunn hit a 535-foot HR off Jose Lima.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200408100.shtml

April 4th, 2005. Opening Day. Adam Dunn hit a game tying 2-run HR in the bottom of the 9th, his second HR of the game. Joe Randa followed with a walk-off HR.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200504040.shtml

June 9th, 2005. Wily Mo Pena went 3-for-5 with two home runs on his own bobblehead night, and the second HR was a walk-off HR that landed halfway up the bleachers in LF.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200506080.shtml

May 17th, 2008. Adam Dunn hit a walk-off 3-run HR against the Indians.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200805170.shtml

May 15th, 2010. This was the Civil Rights Game against the Cardinals earlier this season. This is easily one of my favorite games I've ever attended. Mike Leake pitched a good game. Drew Stubbs hit a huge opposite field 2-run triple to give the Reds the lead. Saxophonist B.K. Jackson played an incredible rendition of "America the Beautiful" during the 7th inning stretch. And then Chris Heisey threw the would be tying runner out at the plate to end the game as the Reds pulled to within a half game of the Cardinals at the time.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN201005150.shtml

pedro
09-03-2010, 12:08 AM
The first game of the 1979 NLCS.

(I was also at the 1982 AFC Championship Game.. but that's another story)

Reds Fanatic
09-03-2010, 12:09 AM
I was at the NLDS win against the Dodgers in 1995 to complete the series sweep. I was also at one of Dunn's walk off HRs against Cleveland. I was at Larkin's first grand slam. I was also at Pena's walk off HR against TB where the Reds hit I think 6 HRs that night.

George Anderson
09-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Insert famous Reds game here. I was reading the latest random thoughts thread and saw the mention of Hal King and it got me thinking...

What REGULAR SEASON game of note have you witnessed in person?

As a youngster, I marched in the Baseball Bunch Parade at Riverfront for Bench's last game.

My memory of it is two fold: huge hands, bad breath. :)

paulrichjr
09-03-2010, 12:22 AM
* Nolan Ryan getting 3000th K by striking out Geronimo

* Game 1, 2, and 6 of the 1990 playoffs against Pittsburgh.

* Pete's first game back against the Reds.

* Opening Day of Great American

*Opening Day 2005 - That was something I will never forget.

mdccclxix
09-03-2010, 12:24 AM
August 7th, 2005 - Juan Pierre put on a clinic of what speed can do (to bad pitchers):

Pierre led off the game with a bunt single and went to third when Ortiz's attempted pickoff got past Casey. Pierre held when Luis Castillo hit a sharp one-hopper back to Ortiz, but Jeff Conine delivered an RBI single to left-center.

Pierre was back at it in the third. He reached while forcing Willis at second and then moved to second on another bad pickoff by Ortiz, who picked up his second error. Castillo's single moved Pierre to third and Conine followed with a sacrifice fly to right.

Ramon ended up with 3 errors on pick off attempts, but did get Pierre once. Reds lost 2-0 to a peak, vintage Dontrelle Willis. Nothing gets me to the park like opposing aces.

Unfortunately, I was pining for a Pierre / Taveras type player for years after this game. Stubbs will do. :)

HeatherC1212
09-03-2010, 12:37 AM
May 15th, 2010. This was the Civil Rights Game against the Cardinals earlier this season. This is easily one of my favorite games I've ever attended. Mike Leake pitched a good game. Drew Stubbs hit a huge opposite field 2-run triple to give the Reds the lead. Saxophonist B.K. Jackson played an incredible rendition of "America the Beautiful" during the 7th inning stretch. And then Chris Heisey threw the would be tying runner out at the plate to end the game as the Reds pulled to within a half game of the Cardinals at the time.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN201005150.shtml

I was at that game too and it was freaking awesome. Even better was the fact that I sat next to about seven Cardinals fans and they left in the 8th inning so they missed all the excitement, LOL :laugh:

I was also at the game the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend in 2006 when it was about 93+ degrees with high humidity. We were melting the entire day and after sitting through that very hot game (and burning up in the sun), the Reds were down 4-3 in the ninth inning. Eventually Austin Kearns walked and then Javy Valentin hit a pinch hit 2 run HR way into the visitor's bullpen to give the Reds a walk off win against the D'Backs (Valverde was pitching). If the Reds had lost that game after we roasted in the sun all afternoon, I would have been VERY upset, LOL :cool: :p: (After the game we went to the Taste of Cincinnati and headed straight for the Graeter's booth for ice cream. We hit any booth that was serving something cold the rest of the late afternoon, LOL)

cincrazy
09-03-2010, 12:37 AM
I was at the 2005 Opening Day game, and several important games down the stretch in 99, most notable the Pokey Reese walkoff game vs. St. Louis.

marcshoe
09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I was at the final game of the year with no world series. The Reds lost, but clinched first anyway, in the most ignominious way possible.

My favorite game was my first, in 1975, with the Reds beating San Diego on an extra-inning George Foster home run, on their way to their first World Championship in 35 years.

The Operator
09-03-2010, 12:44 AM
It seems a LOT of us were at Opening Day 2005. :cool:

westofyou
09-03-2010, 12:47 AM
I was here and nothing else I've seen compares:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/07131971.shtml

09-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Dunn's walk off grand slam.

Griffey Jr's walk off inside the park homer with the bad hammy.

The 2 games in which Larkin hit 5 homers.

1990 World Series game 2.

The game Deion Sanders had a fly ball hit him in the head.

The OD the umpire died.

Last game at Cinergy/Riverfront

First game at GABP.

This year's Civil Rights game- I saw in one spot Aaron, Mays, Robinson, and Banks. I explained to my son he was in the rare presence of greatness.

OD Randa walk off homer.

The game where a kitchen caught fire and smoke clouded up in the ballpark.

The game the kid ran on the field and his in the tarp tube during a rain delay.

George Anderson
09-03-2010, 01:00 AM

42 players in that game and 19 are in the HOF.

And thats not counting Santo, Torre or Pete who may still make it one day.

mth123
09-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Here is a unique one.

I was at the game where Dave Concepcion hit a HR and scored what seemed at the time to be baseball's 1,000,000th run. Davey Hit one out and ran around the bases as fast as he could and the crowd went nuts when we thought he did it. A couple of innings later the scoreboard flashed that Bob Watson scored the millionth run in Houston as Davey was rounding third.

Cedric
09-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Every opening day since 92.

I've seen the Umpire die.. Deion pray over a guy that fell from the green seats...

Ron Madden
09-03-2010, 04:29 AM
A few of my favorites.

Cosley Feild.. I attended the last game ever played there vs. the Giants. I was also there in 1967 when the Reds turned a triple play vs the Cards, can't remember who hit into it but it went 6-4-3-2. Cardenas - Helms - Johnson -Edwards. Orlando Cepeda was the third out at home plate.

Riverfront Stadium.. I was there in 1972 playoffs vs. the Pirates when Johnny Bench hit his now famous HR. to tie the the game. I was there on Opening Day 1974 when Hank Aaron hit his 714th HR to tie Babe Ruth.

I have many fond memories of the Reds at Crosley Field and RiverFront Stadium, Hope to have a few more from Great American Ball Park.

GAC
09-03-2010, 04:55 AM
May 5th, 2000 when McGwire hit the longest Hr ever at Cinergy. We were sitting right along the rail in center-right field. Great seats. Our OF, left to right, was Young, Griffey, Bichette. Ron Villone actually threw a heck of a game, and Jr won it for us in the 7th with a Hr while Williamson came in in relief and shut them down. Final score 3-2.

membengal
09-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Forgot one, in 5th grade, for crossing guard day, sitting high in the red seats on the first base line on a free ticket for the game that turned out to be Tom Seaver's 3000th strikeout.

WrongVerb
09-03-2010, 07:09 AM
42 players in that game and 19 are in the HOF.

And thats not counting Santo, Torre or Pete who may still make it one day.

And Thurman Munson who might have made it had he not died pre-maturely.

lollipopcurve
09-03-2010, 07:15 AM
7th game of the 72 Series -- we were way up in the red seats in RF, and I can still see Rudi splayed against the LF wall hauling in Menke's drive. Heartbreaker.

On the happy side, Rose's first game back as player-manager. In his 1st AB, he triples on a misplay by Bob Dernier, flying into 3rd base with a head firster. It detonated Riverfront.

cumberlandreds
09-03-2010, 07:47 AM
As I mentioned in another thread I was at the Hal King game in 1973. It was the first game of a doubleheader. The Reds entered the game something like 11 games behind the Dodgers. This home run ignited a huge comeback for the Reds that eventually got them into the NLCS.

I was at the 1988 All Star Game. The last one played in Cincinnati.

I was also at the next to last game of the 1976 season. Why would this be of any note you might ask? Well it was the last game the Reds lost in 1976. They won the last regular season game and then went on to sweep the playoffs and World Series. Also in that game Phil Niekro came within two out of pitching a no hitter. Cesar Geronimo doubled down the lf line with two in the 9th. At the time I was glad the Reds got a hit. But later I kind of wished Niekro had pitched a no hitter. Not many chances to see something like that in person.

I also saw the first game the Nationals played in DC. It wasn't a regular season game but an exhibition game against the Mets at RFK. It was on a Sunday the day before the regular season of 2005.

tommycash
09-03-2010, 07:55 AM
I was at Pete Rose's last game as a player.

I was also at the last opening day game at Riverfront.

The Rose game is my earliest memory of going to a ballgame, and something that my dad and I always talk about.

redsmetz
09-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Of the top of my head:

Last game at Crosley Field (my next younger brother then went to the 1st game at Riverfront)

First time at Riverfront was for the All Star game when Rose clobbered Fosse

I was at Opening Day in 1994 when John McSherry collapsed and died

My son & I were at the game when Dunn hit his 1st home run.

My family and I were at the the Reds gave up a six run lead in the 9th to lose to the Cardinals when David Weathers & Danny Graves blew it (B-R.com shows this as a Monday game, I would have sworn it was a Sunday, but the facts are right there).

Forgot one: I was at the 1999 playoff game in which Al Leiter pitched the game of his life.

westofyou
09-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Here is a unique one.

I was at the game where Dave Concepcion hit a HR and scored what seemed at the time to be baseball's 1,000,000th run. Davey Hit one out and ran around the bases as fast as he could and the crowd went nuts when we thought he did it. A couple of innings later the scoreboard flashed that Bob Watson scored the millionth run in Houston as Davey was rounding third.

And those tootsie rolls were Houston bound

Ghosts of 1990
09-03-2010, 09:07 AM
A shutout thrown by Cory Lidle - his last shutout in the bigs

The Voice of IH
09-03-2010, 09:09 AM
I was at Sammy Sosa's 500 home run at GABP

That same night, it was the first time the Reds won in their new ball park.

Always Red
09-03-2010, 09:46 AM
I happened to be lucky enough to have scout seats behind home plate for this game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200609050.shtml

Arroyo threw a 3 hitter against the Giants to record his first shutout. It remains to this day, one of the best pitched games I have witnessed, and Arroyo gave me a lesson in pitching that day, with the way he was locating and changing speeds. Since then I have still not seen a ball move the way it did that night. The Giants were waving at air and only managed 3 singles.

4 years later me and my friend (we were sitting in his corporations seats) still talk about that game. And we remind each other that even pitchers who do not have plus stuff can still be VERY effective in MLB.

RichRed
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Not being a local, I've only been to a handful of games. I happened to be at a game when it was Deion Sanders' 30th birthday. Also saw Sammy Sosa hit his 599th career homer, alongside several other RedsZone members.

Needless to say, I'm jealous of what some of you have witnessed.

Nasty_Boy
09-03-2010, 09:57 AM
I was at Roger Clemens 3000th strikeout game in Toronto... Family was on a fishing trip in Canada, and I begged to go to the game on the way further north.

I was at Adam Dunn's home debut, Homer Bailey's debut, Aroldis Chapman's debut.

I also seen Adam Dunn's 100th career HR.

Was in attendance for Mike Mussina's near perfecto against the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Labor Day weekend 2001.

Also Deion Sanders imrpessive return to the majors in 2001... And I caught Bonds BP HR ball the year he broke the single season record! :D

reds1869
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Dunn's walk off slam against the Tribe is still my fondest Reds memory. A spontaneous hug form my dad who isn't even a Reds fan. That was a special night.

HeatherC1212
09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I forgot one. I was at the game vs. the Braves in May 2008 when Jr. hit his 599th HR and after the scoring went back and forth for the remainder of the game, Jay Bruce broke the tie and hit his first ever big league HR to win the game for the Reds in the bottom of the 10th inning. That was definitely a fun afternoon. :)

15fan
09-03-2010, 10:20 AM
George Foster's first game in Riverfront as a Met.

Jeff Austin's final ML start.

Watched John Smoltz blow a save and Anderson Machado score on his own bunt.

_Sir_Charles_
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM

No more needs to be said. :O)

Eric_the_Red
09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Every Opening Day since '98

Lou Pinella tosses first base

Larkin's first grand slam

Last game @ Riverfront, and the softball game afterwards

1 game of the '95 NLDS and NLCS

The '99 1-game playoff vs. Mets

The debuts of Homer Bailey and Josh Hamilton

Wily Mo's walkoff on his bobblehead night

Dunn stuns the Indians

VR
09-03-2010, 11:47 AM
On October 18th....1990, I was planning on watching the last two games of the World Series w/ a buddy. On October 19th....a customer said "hey, are you a baseball fan? Somebody gave me tickets for game 4 tomorrow night"

Ummmm, yeah.

10 rows up from 3rd base, right in front of Lou Brock. (random but it was cool) Wore my bright Red jacket, and needless to say, stuck out like a sore thumb.

redsmetz
09-03-2010, 11:55 AM

Eighteen HOF'ers in that game and three others that may some day make it (Santo, Torre and Rose, although that's fairly unlikely).

Crosley68
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
July 16, 1967 Jim Bunning of the Phillies shuts out the Reds 8-0. I now believe this was my first major league game. Guess I should change my name to Crosley67 now.

Aug 13, 1971 - Reds pitchers Don Gullett and Wayne Granger combine on a one-hitter‚ beating the visiting Cubs‚ 8-2. The lone Cub safety is a 2-out double by Cleon Jones in the 8th inning. Granger pitches a hitless 9th. Pete Rose dove and missed Jones’ fly down the line and by a foot. That play is one of the few I can still see vividly from my youth. Pete had 4 hits that day.

April 15, 1972 Opening Day The Reds lose to the Dodgers 3-1 as Don Sutton pitches a 3 hitter only giving up a Homerun to Dennis Menke and a double and single to Pete Rose.

July 1, 1973: Reserve catcher Hal King hits a three-run homer off Don Sutton with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat the Dodgers 4-3. The homer sparks the Reds, who were trailing L.A. by 11 1/2 games, to rally and win the NL West title

Jul 31, 1975 - Giants pitcher John Montefusco predicts he'll shut out the Reds and strike out Johnny Bench 4 times. The Count's a little off as the Reds score 7 runs in 1 1/3 innings off Montefusco‚ 3 of the runs coming on a Bench homer. The Reds win‚ 11-6

cumberlandreds
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM

July 1, 1973: Reserve catcher Hal King hits a three-run homer off Don Sutton with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat the Dodgers 4-3. The homer sparks the Reds, who were trailing L.A. by 11 1/2 games, to rally and win the NL West title

I think that's about 4 of us who said we were at that game. :) If you remember Dave Lopes hit a home run early in that game into the LF seats. I have that ball. It's been a prized possession for nearly 40 years now.

westofyou
09-03-2010, 12:59 PM
1972 - Tigers clinch AL East - http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1972/B10030DET1972.htm

1972 AL Playoffs Game 3 - http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1972/B10100DET1972.htm

1976 - Game 1 WS - http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1976/B10160CIN1976.htm

1979 Playoffs - Game 1 - http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1979/B10020CIN1979.htm

Crosley68
09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I think that's about 4 of us who said we were at that game. :) If you remember Dave Lopes hit a home run early in that game into the LF seats. I have that ball. It's been a prized possession for nearly 40 years now.

Awesome, Yes I do.......I was in the green seats in left field.

George Anderson
09-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Eighteen HOF'ers in that game and three others that may some day make it (Santo, Torre and Rose, although that's fairly unlikely).

We didn't include the 2 HOF managers (Sparky and Weaver) two HOF pitchers who didn't get in the game (Seaver and Carlton) and most importantly a HOF umpire (Doug Harvey)

Always Red
09-03-2010, 01:23 PM
1990- Game 2 NLCS- O'Neill throws out Van Slyke at 3B for pivotal double play in 6th; http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199010050.shtml

1990- Game 2 WS- Oliver delivers GW hit off Eck- http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199010170.shtml

LincolnparkRed
09-03-2010, 01:37 PM
1990- Game 2 NLCS- O'Neill throws out Van Slyke at 3B for pivotal double play in 6th; http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199010050.shtml

1990- Game 2 WS- Oliver delivers GW hit off Eck- http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199010170.shtml

I was there for both of those. 2nd Row in the red seats for NLCS and under the scoreboard for the world series

I have seen Harang's only career homer and Milton hit a triple off Zambrano and then score when Zambrano tried to pick him off third and hit a woman six rows back in the face with the throw.

In his defense, Ramirez didn't try too hard to catch it

cumberlandreds
09-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Awesome, Yes I do.......I was in the green seats in left field.

Yes, we had 1st row of the green seats. The ball hit off my oldest brothers hand and landed in the lap of my brother-in-law. Being the punk little kid at the time (10 years old) I said that was my ball. They let me have it and I still have it in a holder till this day. I've offered to my brother-in-law and brother since then but they said just keep it.

jmcclain19
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Two of my more amusing ones

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ARI/ARI200105080.shtml
May 8, 2001 - I saw Randy Johnson mow down 20 Reds in an utterly dominating performance.
The Reds trotted out an amazing getaway day lineup of Donnie Sadler, Juan Castro, Ruben Rivera, Kelly Stinnett and Pokey. I'm sure for Randy it was like taking Candy from a baby.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200306190.shtml
June 19, 2003 - I was at GABP when Kyle Farnsworth & Paul Wilson had a "Misunderstanding" that caused some gentlemanly type measures to be taken on the field by both squads.

Cedric
09-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Two of my more amusing ones

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ARI/ARI200105080.shtml
May 8, 2001 - I saw Randy Johnson mow down 20 Reds in an utterly dominating performance.
The Reds trotted out an amazing getaway day lineup of Donnie Sadler, Juan Castro, Ruben Rivera, Kelly Stinnett and Pokey. I'm sure for Randy it was like taking Candy from a baby.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200306190.shtml
June 19, 2003 - I was at GABP when Kyle Farnsworth & Paul Wilson had a "Misunderstanding" that caused some gentlemanly type measures to be taken on the field by both squads.

I was at the game where Dmitri beat Randy Johnson 1-0.. I believe it was 190 degrees outside and Villone shut out the Dbacks.

VR
09-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I was also "there" when the rally onion made it's debut.

My eyes still water up when I think about it.

medford
09-03-2010, 03:56 PM
More expo games than I can remember in grade schools, how my dad always ended up getting those tickets from clients I'll never know, but it always seemed like it was an expo game.

Griffey's walk-off inside the park homer which also included Pujol's homer over the black monster, which I didn't think would ever happen (but did several more times over the 1 or 2 seasons it was in play), as well as some backup catcher (stinett I think) knocking one out to tie the game w/ Juan Castro on deck and one out, just after I told my buddy if he doesn't hit a homer here or at least get on base for the pinch hitter behind Castro this game is over, plus someone running over the Cards 2nd baseman (Can't remember his name but he was one of their better players). Most fun I've ever had at a baseball game.

Some random game vs the Dodgers in high school that featured a 1+ hour rain delay prior to the game on a school night. I don't remember much of the game, but I clearly remember the group of us yelling up and getting Dave Getty Armbuster's attention b/w innings (all we knew was that he was the final name credited by Marty at the end of the game.."engineered by Dave Getty-Armbruster) plus having a subsequent conversation w/ Marty moments later, him in the announcers seats, us in the green seats right below the radio booth about how it was a school night, and even though a couple of us had tests the next day, it was a Reds game and we were stickin' around.

The 1st win over Roy freakin' Oswalt.

mdccclxix
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
A couple others of note:

Jay Bruce Debut 5/27/08: 3-5 1 2b and 2 rbi

Homer Bailey Debut 6/8/07: 5 inn, 2 runs

Chris Valaika Debut 8/24/10: 1-2

Gomes 100th (FINALLY!!!)

All 3 games in SF this year (barely made it out alive)

Opening Day 2004, Corey Lidle.

SirFelixCat
09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Sadly, being an out-of-towner, the only notables were the game Jr seperated his shoulder vs the Cubs & Sosa's 500th (at least we won the 2nd one!). I certainly hope to see some more, in person, in the upcoming years though!

I also saw Nolan Ryan take a no-hitter into the 9th inning vs the Tigers in 1989. I think he finished the game w/ 4,992 K's and lost the no-hitter in the 9th too.

Strikes Out Looking
09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I was at this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT199008250.shtml) game in Pittsburgh on August 25, 1990 when the Reds scored 6 runs in the 9th to win, 6-1. Hal Morris fueled the rally with a bunt double.

I was also at this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SDN/SDN198807300.shtml) game on July 31, 1988 in San Diego when John Franco set the record (since broken) for most saves in a month (13)

I was also at this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN198105080.shtml) game on May 8, 1981 at Riverfront when Tom Seaver hit a home run. The very next batter, Dave Collins hit a foul line drive right at me -- I tried to catch it, but only was able to knock it down -- someone else got the ball, I got the bruise. It is the only time in my life I have touched a batted ball at a MLB game.

Ron Madden
09-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Another one, I was there when Pete Rose returned to the Reds.

Always Red
09-03-2010, 05:51 PM

I'll never forget that head first slide into 3B in the first inning- it literally gave me chills. Pete was back with the Reds and everything was going to be good again. :)

Ok, for a while.:eek:

Ron Madden
09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I'll never forget that head first slide into 3B in the first inning- it literally gave me chills. Pete was back with the Reds and everything was going to be good again. :)

Ok, for a while.:eek:

Yep, you could feel the vibration of the entire stadium. Good Times.

OldRightHander
09-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Last game at Crosley and 1st game at Riverfront, both as an infant because Mom couldn't find a sitter.

Game 2 '76 Series

Game 2 '90 NLCS

Griffey walk off three run shot in the 10th inning.

Stenson's first homer. Makes me sad to think about it now.

Spitball
09-03-2010, 11:15 PM
In 1971, Vida Blue was a second year pitcher (first full year) who was having an incredible start to his season. He had been featured on the cover of Time Magazine and was 10-1 with a ERA around one. He looked like he might be on the way to winning 35 games. Sonny Seibert was 8-0 for the Red Sox and had already pitched three shutouts. A friend and I decided to go to the game and sit in the bleachers (still $1 at the time).

Both teams were in first place in their divisions and the game had a playoff energy. Blue was remarkable but Rico Petrocelli hit two home runs of Blue that night. In the ninth inning, I believe the score was 3-2 for the Sox and Sal Bando was up for the A's with two outs. I believe Dick Green may have been on second. Bando hit a 450 foot foul that was just foul. On the next pitch, he hit another pitch even further and again just foul. On the next pitch, he swung (going down on one knee) and missed for strike three and the end of the game. It was a collective explosion that I will always remember.

dsmith421
09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
My most memorable game was one at Wrigley Field in 2007. Long rain delay, real shootout of a game, but Josh Hamilton drilled a 3-run pinch hit HR and the Reds came away winners. Come to think of it, the Reds are 3-0 in games I've seen at Wrigley over the years, each time in dramatic fashion.

MattyHo4Life
09-04-2010, 12:08 AM
September 16, 1988... Tom Browning threw a Perfect Game!!!

I went to the game with my Dad. We lived about an hour and a half away from Cincinnati, and it was raining that day. We almost didn't make the trip to the game, because it was supposed to rain all night. I don't remember what time the game started, but it was late. We didn't get home until early in the morning. I don't think I had school the next day. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to stay awake if I did. lol

Mario-Rijo
09-04-2010, 10:40 AM
September 16, 1988... Tom Browning threw a Perfect Game!!!

I went to the game with my Dad. We lived about an hour and a half away from Cincinnati, and it was raining that day. We almost didn't make the trip to the game, because it was supposed to rain all night. I don't remember what time the game started, but it was late. We didn't get home until early in the morning. I don't think I had school the next day. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to stay awake if I did. lol

Now that is the kind of game you want to be in attendance at. Could there be a better regular season game to have been at?

dabvu2498
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM

That would be my favorite. For a kid my age, that made quite the impression.

Roy Tucker
09-04-2010, 01:20 PM
1964 early season game against the Mets at Crosley was my first game. We had seats right behind the Mets dugout. As a 12 yr. old, I remember hearing Ron Hunt yell a really bad word just as he was entering the dugout. I was sitting next to my dad and, at the time, I thought those words were not said in his presence (at least by me). I thought he'd get mad. I found out later in life my dad knew bad words and used them.

7/7/1965, Leo Cardenas hits a HR in the bottom of the 9th into the LF screen at Crosley Field. Roy loses his mind.

1970 All-Star Game at Riverfront. Rose plows over Ray Fosse, a then-budding hippie Roy boos Richard Nixon.

1972 WS game 6 - Reds beat the A's 8-1 and I thought for sure they'd win the next day.

more...

BCubb2003
09-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I was the game when Pete Rose bumped the ump and got his suspension.

I was at the second game when Barry Larkin hit five home runs in two games.

Always Red
09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
I found out later in life my dad knew bad words and used them.

I love that, Roy, that made me laugh. :thumbup:

I wish I still could see life through the same eyes that I did when I was a kid.

kaldaniels
09-04-2010, 09:24 PM
1) 88 All Star Game

2) The DH vs Cards where Kearns hurt a hammy I believe and we were introduced to one Jose Guillen

3) The Jeff Austin game

1 of 3 ain't bad :bang:

reds44
09-05-2010, 01:53 AM
1. I was at the ASG at Miller Park where Bud decided it was a good idea to end it in a tie. That has to be the most infamous game I was at.
2. Opening Day 2003 (first game at GABP)
3. Opening Day 2005
4. Game 1 of the Cubs/Marlins NLCS. Sat on a rooftop for that game, that was nice.

reds44
09-05-2010, 01:54 AM
My most memorable game was one at Wrigley Field in 2007. Long rain delay, real shootout of a game, but Josh Hamilton drilled a 3-run pinch hit HR and the Reds came away winners. Come to think of it, the Reds are 3-0 in games I've seen at Wrigley over the years, each time in dramatic fashion.
I was at this game too. Keymastur hit a homer in this game as well.

mth123
09-05-2010, 03:10 AM
I was at Crosley Field when Hank Aaron got his 3000th hit.

OldRightHander
09-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Can I add yesterday to this list?

cumberlandreds
09-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I'll add a non official game that is not listed in the record books. In late May of 1981 I went to Reds/Giants game. The Reds got out to a 5-0 lead in the 1st inning. Aboutthe 3rd inning the rains came and washed this game away forever. If you remember the 1981 season was the split season because of the strike. If they had played 5 innings of that game the Reds would have been tied with Dodgers when the strike came about. I've wondered if two teams had been tied would they have had the split season format at all? That rainout at the least cost the Reds a playoff opportunity. Just really bad timing for a rainout.

Tony Cloninger
09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I went to many Reds game at Dodger stadium.... 1979 game where they lost 7-6 and Ray Knight GDP with the bases loaded in the 9th.

The 3 game sweep in LA late in the year of 1980....i went to all 3. I walked around the lower level and just took in the game from all angles.

The 16-4 meltdown in early 1981 when Soto got rocked.

The 1988 game where the Reds blew a lead and Hamilton hit a HR to beat them in the bottom of the 9th. I think the Reds made 4-5 errors in that game. Me and my friend were just sitting there while everyone else was just standing and cheering.

I went to the games at Angel stadium before they came back from the strike in 1981.
They played some exhibition games against the Angels that year as a tune up. Do not recall as to why they did that....but it was cool to see that considering there was no inter league play.

WrongVerb
09-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I was at this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ATL/ATL199406180.shtml) and this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ATL/ATL199406190.shtml) where the Reds beat Glavine and Smoltz back to back in Atlanta.

The weekend was probably more notable for another sports star who on that Friday evening was engaged in a low speed pursuit in a white Ford Bronco.

Tony Cloninger
09-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I remember those 1994 games....saw them on TBS...and it was really the last time for a while that a Reds team beat up ATL that bad. Reggie Sanders actually beat up on ATL pitching. ATL must have developed their scouting report on what NOT to do after that game.

RED VAN HOT
09-24-2010, 08:15 PM
I was at the game in 1994 when Tom Browning broke his arm. The next year, I was at the game when Jose Rijo injured his elbow to end his career as a starter. Lastly, I was at the game in 2007 when Harang had that brilliant, short rest, relief outing going 4 and striking out 9, but never again performing at that high level.

I say this because I am getting ready to leave for the game tonight here in San Diego. I am not so narcissistic as to believe that the Reds fortunes have anything to do with me personally, but I can't avoid suspecting that I am some sort of west coast jonah. I am out to disprove it tonight. I pledge, however, to RedsZoners that should the Reds be victimized by an untoward event, I will destroy my tickets to the next two games for the good of the team.

The Operator
09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
If Arroyo blows his arm out tonight, we know who to blame. :cool:

VR
09-24-2010, 10:45 PM
I was at the game in 1994 when Tom Browning broke his arm.

I was at the game Dravecky broke his arm.....and when he came back and owned the Reds in SF.

vaticanplum
09-25-2010, 01:37 PM
I was in attendance for, to date, Derek Jeter's only career grand slam. It was my birthday.

Actually, the most notable thing about my baseball-going career is the inordinate amount of grand slams I've witnessed. There was one year when I saw something like 10 or 11, out of maybe 20 games I attended.

Some more games that were great for me, but nothing really historic. One thing I always remember is games with weird weather. The fourth of July game at GABP against the Giants where the weather was beautiful, and then suddenly there was a monsoon. A late April game at Yankee Stadium against the Orioles where it snowed the whole game.

RED VAN HOT
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I had hoped for attendance at a clincher. Will have to settle for being at attendance at the fastest recorded pitch, Friday. With speeds being measured to .1 mph, I don't think that record will hold up very long. Some of you might have caught a glimpse of Van Hot near the RF foul pole on Sunday when BP homered.