PDA

View Full Version : Finally

Degenerate39
09-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I've been following the Reds for about the last 10 or 11 years. I went to Reds games all throughout my life probably starting at the age of 4 or so. But of all that time I've never felt so much excitement during a single season. How can anyone not love this team?

Joey Votto is putting up MVP numbers and making an amazing triple crown push. Just an incredible season from him.

Brandon Phillips is playing Gold Glove defense and has really stepped it up with the bat. It seems every play he makes is like a high light real play.

Orlando Cabrera. Mostly a team leader right now but he's shown some flashes of brilliance with the stick and the glove this year. Great pick up by the Reds IMO. I may have been critical of him in the past but man he's really helped the team out.

Scott Rolen is having a great season offensively and defensively. Who would've thought he could pull off a season like this a year ago? Also a team leader like OCab. Not to mention his walk up music is Coldplay. Only a real man could do that.

Johnny Gomes. His hot streak towards the beginning of the season really helped the Reds get to where they are now. Wish he'd find some more of that success though.

Drew Stubbs not having a great year but he's still shown he could be a great player IMO soon. Great speed, some power and has came through in a few clutch plays throughout the season.

Jay Bruce is probably the best defensive right fielder in the NL right now. Possibly in all of MLB. His bat seems to finally be coming around. Hopefully he'll be back in the line up soon. Could be a big key to the team's success.

Then you have the role players like Cairo, Heisey, Nix, and company who have really stepped it up when their names have been called. Probably a great deal of the Reds success has to be from these players.

The rotation has been pretty good this season. Arroyo and Cueto seem to having the best years of their careers. Wood and Leake have been pretty awesome minus a few bad starts from Leake. Bailey looks great lately. Volquez had a few good games. It's hard to tell about Harang right now but hopefully he'll be back to where he was a few years ago.

The bullpen looks awesome now. Masset, Rhodes, and Cordero have been solid. Cordero gives everyone a heart attack though. Logan has been doing well since he's been called back up. Bray's had some good stuff.

CHAPMAN! I've never been so excited to see a single player come on to the field. Everything's just so electric as soon as Chapman walks out of the bullpen. It's amazing seeing the radar gun constantly hitting 100 and that sick slider of his. I hope he stays healthy and becomes the ace that this staff needs.

8 game lead. How amazing is it that the Reds have an 8 game lead over the Cards at this point in the season? I don't think anyone saw this coming and it's such a joy to wake up to be in first place.

This has been the best season I've ever witnessed in my tenure as a Reds fan. I'm loving every minute of this season and I pray that this continues through September and October. The playoffs seem so crazy to me right now because there's a damn good chance we'll be watching the Reds. (Knocks on wood). This season has had some low points and high points but I have to admit this has been just an amazing season for me. I finally know what it's like to be a fan of a good team.

I really hope I can write one of these each season so that would mean the Reds have to out do themselves every year. :thumbup:

BoydsOfSummer
09-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Chapmania is so rampant it's like nobody even noticed Yonder's debut. It was like "Ho-Hum".

Caveat Emperor
09-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Chapmania is so rampant it's like nobody even noticed Yonder's debut. It was like "Ho-Hum".

Mentioned this tonight at dinner -- I wonder what it's like for Yonder. On one hand, his debut has been completely overshadowed by Chapman. On the other hand, he's a Cuban like Chapman, but he had the fortune to come to the United States as a young boy and never experienced life (with all the difficulties associated) on the island.

I wonder if he doesn't look at Chapman and think "That could have been me -- being forced to choose between competing and making money playing baseball and leaving my family behind."

westofyou
09-03-2010, 12:14 AM

He hit a nubber to the pitcher..... however sometimes the best part of the party is in the kitchen, or as I like to believe, not everyone is the homecoming queen, but they all get a chance to prove whether or not they are.

He'll be noticed eventually.

jojo
09-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Mentioned this tonight at dinner -- I wonder what it's like for Yonder.

He's just glad that he doesn't have to face Chapman coming out of the pen... :cool:

VR
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
He'll be noticed eventually.

I'm thinking it will be somewhere else.

guttle11
09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking it will be somewhere else.

Me too. In fact, I would have lost a bet when he put on the Reds uniform. I would be happy if the Reds find a spot for him, but I don't see it. I think sometime around the Winter Meetings he gets moved (perhaps in a package) for either a muti-year pitching hammer like a Greinke, or a legit SS, or potentially even a LF, RH bopper.

oneupper
09-05-2010, 10:17 AM
First time seeing Yonder, and he looks a bit "bloated" for such a young guy. (Don't want to say fat).
I know he plays first, but I'll take the athletic types over the big barreled guys most of the time.
Get Votto locked up.

Chip R
09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Wow. 2 ABs in a Reds uniform and he's already being called fat.

oneupper
09-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Wow. 2 ABs in a Reds uniform and he's already being called fat.

Guilty as charged. He IS chubby, IMO. I think we're allowed to express our first impressions here and I wouldn't be surprised if others -including scouts- came away with the same first impression. It certainly doesn't help his value. He'll have to perform very well for people to look past that.

Orenda
09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Guilty as charged. He IS chubby, IMO. I think we're allowed to express our first impressions here and I wouldn't be surprised if others -including scouts- came away with the same first impression. It certainly doesn't help his value. He'll have to perform very well for people to look past that.

Goodness. Last I checked his profession is that of a baseball player not a GQ model. There are plenty of major league players who don't seem to be overly concerned with their BMI yet manage to perform.

jojo
09-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Prince Fielder could eat Yonder in one sitting. In fact, I'm a little worried about the Milwaukee series later this month.

Tony Cloninger
09-05-2010, 03:52 PM
How in the heck did Yonder steal ...what? 10 bases in AAA this year? If he is that fat? Heck Pujols looks fat to me as well.....but he clearly is not.

11larkin11
09-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Actually, when I first saw Yonder bat for the Reds, the first thing that came to mind was "Hmm, he's skinnier than I thought." He's pretty well built for a young man, definitely wouldn't say fat or "fluffy" as Mes was described.

BoydsOfSummer
09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
He has short looking legs. Makes him look squatty.