PDA

View Full Version : What Have We Learned So Far This Year?

Natty Redlocks
09-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I know this should be more of an end-of-the-year thing. But this off day is excruciating, so what the hey.

1. I have learned that Walt Jocketty and Dusty Baker apparently know way more about baseball than I do. But that's okay, because they get paid millions of dollars and I don't.

2. I have learned that somewhere on Joey Votto there must be a switch. The lowest setting is "Really Good", the middle setting is "Awesome", and the highest setting is "Better Than Pujols". Who knew?

3. I have learned that you can take the letters from the name "Aroldis Chapman", and rearrange them to spell the phrase "Das Holi Crap Man". I do not know what this means.

Kingspoint
09-03-2010, 03:57 AM
That, "The Sky is Always Falling" in the SunDeck.

Captain13
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
That there is still baseball in September, who knew?:cool:

New York Red
09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I know this should be more of an end-of-the-year thing. But this off day is excruciating, so what the hey.

1. I have learned that Walt Jocketty and Dusty Baker apparently know way more about baseball than I do. But that's okay, because they get paid millions of dollars and I don't.

2. I have learned that somewhere on Joey Votto there must be a switch. The lowest setting is "Really Good", the middle setting is "Awesome", and the highest setting is "Better Than Pujols". Who knew?

3. I have learned that you can take the letters from the name "Aroldis Chapman", and rearrange them to spell the phrase "Das Holi Crap Man". I do not know what this means.
I'll definitely agree with those, and add another:

I knew the Reds had a good amount of young talent in their system, but I didn't realize exactly how much. A lot we've already got a glimpse of this year at the big league level, and more waiting in the minors. Talent-wise, Walt Jocketty has the Reds organization going in a direction we haven't seen in a very long time. It's a really, really exciting time to be a Reds fan.

bounty37h
09-03-2010, 01:34 PM
That there is still baseball in September, who knew?:cool:

:thumbup::beerme: This!!!! I am not used to caring after the all star game, let alone thinking playoffs this late in the year. I am usually reserved to checking box scores here and there, paying more attention to minors, and looking forward to football. It is quite refreshing for me right now to have winning Reds baseball to focus on, cause football is sure gonna stink fo rme this year.

brm7675
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM

while Votto has had a great season, that 'Better then Pujols' setting has yet to be achieved.

Captain13
09-03-2010, 01:42 PM
:thumbup::beerme: This!!!! I am not used to caring after the all star game, let alone thinking playoffs this late in the year. I am usually reserved to checking box scores here and there, paying more attention to minors, and looking forward to football. It is quite refreshing for me right now to have winning Reds baseball to focus on, cause football is sure gonna stink fo rme this year.

I hear you, Bounty. You'd just better pray that the trouble on Tobacco Road doesn't spill over into the Dean Dome. In the mean time, keep on watcin' those Redlegs win! And if you ever want to talk about all the ways Duke sucks, and how Coach K is a fraud...I'll buy you a beer. :beerme:

Caveman Techie
09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
while Votto has had a great season, that 'Better then Pujols' setting has yet to be achieved.

Really?? Cause right now Votto has a better BA, OBP, OPS, and RBI's! I think that all adds up to 'Better than Pujols'. :) Now it remains to be seen if that can be sustained.

redssince75
09-03-2010, 04:01 PM
That baseball is fun to watch!! I haven't paid this much attention since 1990.

mckbearcat48
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
What I've learned...

The Reds have turned the corner into a legitimate contender.

bounty37h
09-07-2010, 12:56 PM
I hear you, Bounty. You'd just better pray that the trouble on Tobacco Road doesn't spill over into the Dean Dome. In the mean time, keep on watcin' those Redlegs win! And if you ever want to talk about all the ways Duke sucks, and how Coach K is a fraud...I'll buy you a beer. :beerme:

We can trade off drinks all night, thats one of my fav past times your talking about!!!!!

brm7675
09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Really?? Cause right now Votto has a better BA, OBP, OPS, and RBI's! I think that all adds up to 'Better than Pujols'. :) Now it remains to be seen if that can be sustained.

yes he has a small lead over an injuried Pujols right now. Again Votto is a stud, but he is not in Pujols league till he does it for 4-5 straight seasons.

will5979
09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
That the 8 game lead we had last week didn't mean squat and right now it could possibly be in jeopardy and if we lose tonight I'm ready to push the panic button, barring a Cardinals loss of course.

Captain13
09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Way too early to panic. We have the Pirates coming in over the weekend. This is the best Reds team in over a decade (I know that isn't saying much), and we have the best record in the National League.

lidspinner
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
yes he has a small lead over an injuried Pujols right now. Again Votto is a stud, but he is not in Pujols league till he does it for 4-5 straight seasons.

are you talking about the same injury that is not enough to force him to the DL, but enough of a nagging injury to affect his game? Cause if thats the injury your talking about, Joey has the same injury, he as even missed a game or 2 lately for said injury............

UPRedsFan
09-07-2010, 03:15 PM
I've learned there's no such thing as "enough" starting pitching.

I always knew you needed more than 5 solid starters to make it thru a long season. But we've had 9. Only Arroyo has gone the whole season. Still we're searching for that one more starter now that Harang seems done and even at that Wood may run out of innings. We may see both Lecure and Maloney make starts in September.

Arroyo (thank goodness for his durability!)
Cueto
Harang
Bailey
Leake
Wood
Maloney
Lecure
Volquez

Vottomatic
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Pujols slumps and it's due to an injury. Votto slumps and nobody, including the lousy strikezones, allow him the same benefit of the doubt.

I'm sick of all the Pujols is God attitudes. You think Joey isn't being pitched around right now? As much as I love Scott Rolen, the younger Matt Holliday invokes a little more fear in opposing hitters, allowing Pujols to get pitched to more often than Joey does. Joey gets pitched around ALOT..........unfortunately, many of you aren't paying attention.

09-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Votto is currently better than Pujols. It really is irrelevant if he can be over a long period, because Votto hasn't played long enough to know. But at this point in their careers, Votto is out producing Pujols, and it's by a significant amount, over a half a win more according to WAR.

New York Red
09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Pujols slumps and it's due to an injury. Votto slumps and nobody, including the lousy strikezones, allow him the same benefit of the doubt.

I'm sick of all the Pujols is God attitudes. You think Joey isn't being pitched around right now? As much as I love Scott Rolen, the younger Matt Holliday invokes a little more fear in opposing hitters, allowing Pujols to get pitched to more often than Joey does. Joey gets pitched around ALOT ... unfortunately, many of you aren't paying attention.
It's even more obvious since the all-star break. I don't know what the RBI numbers are for Rolen and Gomes since the break, but I know they're far less than their pre-break totals. Joey is pretty much doing it on his own since the second week of July, making his season even more impressive.

lidspinner
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm sick of all the Pujols is God attitudes. You think Joey isn't being pitched around right now? As much as I love Scott Rolen, the younger Matt Holliday invokes a little more fear in opposing hitters, allowing Pujols to get pitched to more often than Joey does. Joey gets pitched around ALOT..........unfortunately, many of you aren't paying attention.

high fives.....for some reason people tend to think that Albert is Barry Bonds....and as much as I hate Barry,Barry envoked pure panic in all pitchers and he was the meaning of Stud.....Joey is right up there close to Albert, Joey cannot help that he is younger and dont have the service time as AP...

MikeThierry
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Well this might be Pujols worst year and he is still amongst the top in every offensive category. He has dealt with back issues all year long and all sorts of issues with is legs so I look for him to have a bounce back year next year. I kind of figured he would have some trouble anyway due to his off season bone spur surgery at the end of last year.

Anyway, what I have learned this year is that Sundeck can be used as a verb.

The Reds are for real and not a year away

The Cards lack of organizational depth has been exposed and needs to be addressed in the off season

Chapman is a stud

The Cubs still suck