PDA

View Full Version : NYT: With Jocketty at Controls, Red Machine Being Rebuilt

Red Forman
09-03-2010, 03:46 AM
Per New York Times.....

With Jocketty at Controls,
Red Machine Being Rebuilt

ST. LOUIS — Tony La Russa had just landed here Wednesday night after a dreary road trip that pushed his St. Louis Cardinals eight games behind the Cincinnati Reds in the standings. It was a bitter disappointment for La Russa, who had every reason to retreat until the next game on Friday.

But La Russa responded to a reporter’s message because he wanted to talk about the man who runs the team he is chasing in the National League Central. Such is his admiration for Walt Jocketty, the former general manager of the Cardinals who has shaped the Reds for their first playoff appearance in 15 years.

“You would have to look long and hard to find someone that doesn’t like and respect Walt — and there’s a difference,” La Russa said. “People like him because he’s a good man, but they respect him because he’s honest. The reason he makes deals is he isn’t hiding information. He gives value and he receives value, so both sides prosper and want to make another deal.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/sports/baseball/03jocketty.html?ref=sports

Kingspoint
09-03-2010, 03:53 AM
O'Brien re-built the foundation and the framework.

Krivsky re-did the flooring, the electric, the plumbing, the walls and the ceiling.

Jockety has painted it and put the new furniture in, while also putting in a new lawn.

All three share equally for the product that's out there today.

Kingspoint
09-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Does the article actually say anything?

I'm not logging into the New York Times so I can read their article.

HalMorrisRules
09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Great article. that's why I posted it here.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85381

mckbearcat48
09-03-2010, 04:09 PM
LaRussa is very close with Walt. I'm glad that he's recognizing the success of the Reds, even coming at the expense of the Cardinals.

redsrolen
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Enjoyed the article alot. When you look at some of his moves, mixing the veterns with the young guys, really is a stroke of genius! Young guys want to win, they just need someone to lead the way! Good job Mr. Jocketty!;)

New York Red
09-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Very good read. It just confirms what we already knew - that we have the right GM in place. Nice to read Jocketty's comments about building another BRM-type team. Great time to be a Reds fan!

brachial pleXUs
09-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Krivsky re-did the flooring, the electric, the plumbing, the walls and the ceiling.

Jockety has painted it and put the new furniture in, while also putting in a new lawn.

I think the whole city needs to send a collective "Thank you, and we're sorry" card to Dan O'Brien. Personally, I let out a whoop and started jumping up and down when I heard he was fired, but hindsight is 20-20. I think, like you said, it's really the progression that's made the Reds what they are.

I was also happy when they switched Wayne for Walt, but I never stopped liking Krivsky.

AintlifeGrande
09-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I wasnt that thrilled with the way they did Krivsky,however winning baseball is back in the Queen city,and you can't complain about that.

gedred69
09-05-2010, 12:37 AM

I don't always agree with your posts, but this one you nailed perfectly. (I just wish there could have been some way to keep Krivsky around to continue building the farm system like he helped do for the, year after year, contending Twins).