PDA

View Full Version : What has been the biggest surprise of this season

brm7675
09-03-2010, 12:17 PM
What would you say has surprised you most about this team this season up to this point?

GIDP
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
The ignoring of Cueto, Bruce and Stubbs season by fans.

Hanover
09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
In my opinion, it has to be the play of the reserves. Cairo, Heisey, Nix, Valaika, Ondrusek, Smith, etc.

They have all far exceeded expectations.

You could throw Janish in there, but I think a lot of people thought he was capable of being a solid player.

Hey Meat
09-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Might be a few other choices to add, like Cabrera, Heisey, Cairo, Nix, Janish, Hanigan etc. Tons of great surprises this year so far.

GIDP
09-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Cabrera surprised me, but it was a bad surprise.

New York Red
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I think the biggest surprise for me has been the amount of overall depth the Reds have.

bounty37h
09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I would have to say the way they have come together to play like a team, work together, have really gelled, pick each other up when needed. These are the things playoff teams do; talent is needed of course, but a team concept is important too for those without stars at each spot.

mattfeet
09-03-2010, 04:23 PM
How anyone can select something OTHER than 'the play of the bench' simply perplexes me. NO ONE before this season would have guessed our bench would put up half the numbers they have.

-Matt

Fon Duc Tow
09-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I would have to say the way they have come together to play like a team, work together, have really gelled, pick each other up when needed. These are the things playoff teams do; talent is needed of course, but a team concept is important too for those without stars at each spot.

I'll second this.

Not to bash the Griffey/Dunn years, but I love the hustle and team effort this team shows compared to years past.

Fun team to watch.

GIDP
09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Cairo is really the only bench guy I think performed over his head this year. Nix kinda has but he also got hurt in the middle of his hot streak so his numbers havent had a chance to fall back down to where I would expect them.

texasdave
09-03-2010, 05:19 PM
An eight-game lead on September 3rd is pretty surprising. Even folks that thought the Reds would contend could not have foreseen this development.

Wiggidy
09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
The biggest surprise is the 8 game lead going into this series against the Cards.

New York Red
09-03-2010, 06:14 PM
The biggest surprise is the 8 game lead going into this series against the Cards.
I can't argue that! :beerme:

gedred69
09-05-2010, 12:50 AM
We all should have at least, known how good Votto could be. Wood, Leake showed what to expect from them in March. But the bench, and most everyone the Reds have called up, Heisey, Smith, Valaika, et. al. have been the nudge over the the top.

improbus
09-05-2010, 08:27 AM
To me, the most impressive thing has been the Reds resilience. We have had fast starts in the past, but when the team hit some adversity they would fold immediately (usually on the West Coast). This team has had multiple opportunities to fold an instead came back stronger. That talks to the character and also to the depth of the organization.

My final thing that should be on the poll is the lack of love for Dusty. We all know that his in game decisions aren't always inspired, but he has been magnificient this year. He has his players convinced that they can win, and it shows.

PhillipsHead
09-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Jonny Gomes and the bench...hands down